Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I'll put it all on black!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Blade Runner posted:

What's the over under on the guy being an attempted actor

:five: / 5

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Blade Runner posted:

What's the over under on the guy being an attempted actor

OK pet peeve.

Over/under is a bet whether or not some arbitrary number (like total points in a basketball game) will be over or under a certain value.

The correct way to use it is "What's the over-under on how much this dingus has spent wooing this lady?"

Odds of him being an attempted actor would be the preferred betting and/or statistical question.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

La Brea Carpet posted:

OK pet peeve.

Over/under is a bet whether or not some arbitrary number (like total points in a basketball game) will be over or under a certain value.

The correct way to use it is "What's the over-under on how much this dingus has spent wooing this lady?"

Odds of him being an attempted actor would be the preferred betting and/or statistical question.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The correct answer to "what's the over/under on <non-numeric conjecture>" is always 0.5

As in, the number of attempted actors that guy is is either under 0.5 or over it

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m upset I have to ask my husband about singular credit card purchases that cost more than I pay in child support each month for multiple children.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Long time friend (20M) stole my (20F) tattoo idea

quote:

When I was 16 I designed a tattoo that revolved around my love for the show "Avatar: The Last Airbender". The meat of it was the "Ying and Yang" koi fish and I was going to add the white lotus/water tribe/idk symbol behind it. I send this to a group chat our mutual friends were in and they all loved it. I said multiple times that I wanted to get the tattoo and it means a lot to me. I drew it out multiple times. Got other people to draw it with their twist on it. I was quite obsessed with this tattoo until I left for college.

I've gotten three small tattoos between then and now. I was excited to learn that my long time friend was getting his first tattoo! Yay! He had it booked, designed and deposit paid for before he told me what it was. My tattoo. I was pretty peeved. Our mutual friends have said that it was a lousy thing to do. When he came up to visit us he constantly talked about the tattoo, showed it off, made a big deal about cleaning it, how amazing the artist was blah blah blah... Which is to be expected from someone who has just gotten their first tattoo, but come on. I felt like he was shoving my nose in it.

I haven't exactly confronted my friend about this yet. I've said some passive aggressive stuff like "Yeah, I wonder where you came up with that idea" but his response was "Well you took too long to get it". I'm not really sure what I should say to him. I am genuinely hurt because I've been set on this tattoo for years. It meant a lot to me before he stole it. Did I really take too long to get it? I need advice please.

TL;DR : Long time friend stole my tattoo idea and knows it, he upset me and I don't know how to confront him.

quote:

In 40 years I've yet to see an original tattoo. Just do what you do and don't worry about anyone else

---Yeah but THIS one had a yin yang on it.

------Sorry, sorry. I couldn't resist. Friend did a truly crappy thing but there's not much to be done.

-----------My roommate actually has this exact tattoo. She and her sister are both huge avatar fans and they got matching tattoos. Searching google it’s a surprisingly popular one.

-------------------Oh my tattoo was as basic as it gets but it was mine. MINE. (OP)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TheBizzness posted:

I’m upset I have to ask my husband about singular credit card purchases that cost more than I pay in child support each month for multiple children.

Yeah, what's with a woman that has to pay child support? You know she had to gently caress up bad.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

La Brea Carpet posted:

I always sorta dislike when people claim ownership of concepts or ideas they just took from somewhere else

Like you didn't come up with your anime yin yang fish whatever thing, you just ripped it off from a cartoon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

I hope she does a lot of growing up once she leaves kindergarden

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Chomp8645 posted:

The woman is a worthless parasite and the man is the kind of idiot who abides a worthless parasite because he wants a (lazy) bang maid and has no other use for his money.

Who cares what happens to either of them.

My guess is that she's starting to think how nice it would be to have the house to herself with alimony to support herself. Then she wouldn't feel "dependant".

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Get a tattoo of your friend where he is naked and has a small wiener.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

dudeness posted:

Get a tattoo of your friend where he is naked and has a small wiener.

Also make sure to include a miniature version of his dumb avatar tattoo

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I was more concerned that she only pays $250 a month for multiple children!

The whole thing is mind boggling.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

My [42 F] husband [39 M] together 5 years, sold 2 sets of Final Four tickets it took me 8 years to get, when I explicitly told him they are not for sale.

quote:

My husband and I have been together almost 5 years and got married last year. We’ve had maybe 2 or 3 arguments in all that time. We get along great. I will explain how the NCAA Basketball Final Four ticketing works for people that don’t know. Most of the seats in the final three games (2 semifinal games and the championship game) are reserved for the schools, donors, the host city, etc. There are some sold to the public. They “go on sale” right after the previous tournament ends. It’s a lottery system. So you actually pay for the tickets in April, and then sometime in August you get an email saying “Sorry you were not chosen for tickets this year” and they refund your money. At least, that’s the email I got for SEVEN YEARS, until this year, my 8th try, when I finally got them! This is a HUGE bucket list item for me and I was SO excited. Booked an Airbnb right away. I got four tickets to all three games, and I actually got lucky – they are mid-court right above the press box. Fast forward to Monday of this week, my husband sends me an email, part of which said, “Beth (coworker) from here wants to take her son to final four, she is willing to pay $450 for two tickets if you want to get rid of the other two.”

Before I go any further, there is zero, zilch, nada chance of this being scandalous. My husband is just a very kindhearted person, and apparently sometimes he doesn’t think things through. This is how their conversation went:

Him: We are going to the Final Four this year

Her: Oh my son has always wanted to go!!

Him: Well, we have 2 extra tickets.

Her: How much did you pay for 2 tickets?

Him: I think around $450

Her: I will buy them!

That’s when he sent the email. I talked to him that night and I asked, “Why are you offering those tickets to people? I don’t want to “get rid of them” and they’re not for sale.” Then we got into a discussion of how it would be nearly impossible to find a cheap flight and accommodations this close to the event, so Beth probably wouldn’t be able to go anyways.

Yesterday he gets home from work and hands me an envelope with $450 in it and I’m like wut. Apparently, he talked to her and said that it’s going to be near impossible for them to get there and find accommodations at this point, but if they can, they can buy the tickets. So, she does. What. The. gently caress. He just assumed she wouldn’t be able to go, and didn’t want to rescind his offer because he felt bad about it. I am SO FURIOUS I can’t see straight. He keeps apologizing over and over and he knows he hosed up but I just can’t get past it and I just want to cancel the whole trip at this point.

I make about 4x as much as my husband, and he pays the mortgage and that’s about it. I (happily) pay for all our vacations because I want to and we always have so much fun together. There are a million options for the other two tickets. I have friends all over the U.S. I could offer them to, especially if one of their teams was in it, I could offer them a ticket. I can ask my parents or siblings to go. And I know this is going to rub people the wrong way, but I could sell them if I want to help pay for the trip. I just paid for a vacation to California in January, and I spent over $20,000 on our wedding last year, so regardless of the ethics of selling the tickets, that was MY decision to make.

So, I don’t want to go and sit next to my husband’s coworker who I’ve never met, and her kid for all 3 games just fuming. Plus I have to go through the process of transferring them to her, which makes my brain shriek. I REALLY wish I could just get over it. I realize this is a 1st world problem, and maybe I just need the entirety of Reddit to come here and tell me that I am totally overreacting, and that I should be thankful for being able to do things like this in life, and am being a selfish, ungrateful, entitled bitch. Am I? Do I have the right to be angry? How can I get over it?

TL;DR I got 4 Final Four tickets after 7 years of trying, and my husband sold 2 of them to a coworker when I explicitly told him they were not for sale. I can’t get over it and I want to cancel the trip.

:murder:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [42 F] husband [39 M] together 5 years, sold 2 sets of Final Four tickets it took me 8 years to get, when I explicitly told him they are not for sale.

You know, he never specifically said you couldn't sell his extra kidney

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

La Brea Carpet posted:

What a spineless gently caress. "welllll i didn't want to take it baaaack." Make him explain to her that he sold something that was not for sale and give the money back.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Contact the coworker, explain the situation, and ask for them back. If that fails, bully her and make sure she knows she and her daughter will have a horrible time if she attends. Then find three people you like and invite them to go with you post-divorce.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah making him take back the tickets and refund the money is pretty obviously the best action here

Like, he's not a business, he sold something to a coworker, take-backsies are absolutely a possibility (particularly if you can truthfully blame it on your spouse not agreeing to the sale)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Sounds like she still has to somehow transfer them over so why not just not do that and have the husband give her back the cash and deal with the awkward situation himself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait they aren't like, physical tickets, can't she just not do it? OP is spineless too if she clicks through a webform to transfer them without wanting to.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

La Brea Carpet posted:

OK pet peeve.

Frankly, Im glad someone had the cojones to say it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Contact the coworker, explain the situation, and ask for them back. If that fails, bully her and make sure she knows she and her daughter will have a horrible time if she attends. Then find three people you like and invite them to go with you post-divorce.

I thought you were replying to the lesbian whose coworkers wife cheated with for a second. Either way it's great advice.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wait they aren't like, physical tickets, can't she just not do it? OP is spineless too if she clicks through a webform to transfer them without wanting to.

yeah from the comments it sounds like she doesn't actually have to transfer the tickets and right now the coworker is just out 450 with the promise of receiving them, they don't actually have the tickets to hold hostage or anything.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I think I've found my new favorite subreddit: /r/saneorpsycho:

quote:

/r/saneorpsycho is a support subreddit for those of us who sometimes have problems distinguishing crazy behaviour from normal behaviour. Post your stories and dilemmas here for non-professional advice, commiseration and validation.

Gf[f37] gives me [m39] Arbys coupons after sex. Is that weird? (self.saneorpsycho)

quote:

There are dessert ones in there and everything.

Edit- a little more backstory. i havent been with a whole lot of women, and before the current GF i always had trouble climaxing. I'm pretty sure it was mostly my nervousness, but also compared to my current partner they were not in the best physical shape. (the last one would basically just lay there)

New girl is very active during sex though. Also she has her tubes tied so I dont have to use protection, means i am getting a lot more stimulation than i'm used to and its hard for me to last longer than a minute or two.

So I've been trying different things to make me last longer, and they seem to be working. Thats when she started to give me the coupons.

I mean, Arbys is OK, but i would prefer Taco Bell. At least its not Mcdonalds

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, what's with a woman that has to pay child support? You know she had to gently caress up bad.

Well, she doesn’t live with them and just goes to visit them for a few days it sounds like, so it makes sense she would have to pay since she isn’t really helping to take care of them. Usually it’s the dad who’s doing this sort of thing, but I’m sure there are plenty of moms who aren’t actually that interested in raising their kids.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Caganer posted:

Gf[f37] gives me [m39] Arbys coupons after sex. Is that weird? (self.saneorpsycho)

The lowest paid prostitute

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Caganer posted:

This is the kind of poo poo I want to see more of in this thread. I can't stop laughing at how weird this is.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blade Runner posted:

The lowest paid prostitute

What, you don’t get hungry after sex?!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is the kind of poo poo I want to see more of in this thread. I can't stop laughing at how weird this is.

the ages are what really make it perfecto :discourse:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

LadyPictureShow posted:

What, you don’t get hungry after sex?!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Caganer posted:

Better to love the quirks of the beef you have than brisket on finding another rump to hump.

2 to 3 Cats
Dec 17, 2009
a good mom (tm)

quote:

I [17/M] think that it's time I need to thank my Stepmom [42/F] for being there for me.

It wasn't until yesterday that things hit me. At 4 pm, I was doing some math, and then I felt that I really needed a break. So I walk about the room and then go over to my other desk to read the bible. And then I did something which I don't do that often. I opened the drawers and dusted the family photo album. I tried to revive these old memories as I looked at the pictures of my fun and carefree childhood days. And then as I flipped the pages, I come across a change. A "transition". The change was special, rewarding and much needed. I went from being the child of a single parent to have a step-mother. That was when I was 3 years old. I knew that she was my stepmother since the beginning. I wasn't too young to not remember what happened.

Fast forward, 14 years. She's still here and she's still there for me. She treats me as if I was her biological child. And I can't imagine growing up without her. From, toilet training as a toddler, to math homework at elementary school, as my emotional support and as someone who I can trust, bank on and look up to. She's filled the void.

And I never realised the significance of the role that she played in my life. Until now. I felt guilty, thankful and sorrowful all at the same time. It was almost as if I had taken her for granted...? Does she feel the same about me...? Why didn't she have children of her own? Why did she treat me as her own? Is she regretful for what she did? Is she happy?

Jesus. I can't sleep. It's 6 am is in Columbus and I've been up since 3 am. I can't sleep.My questions remain unanswered. And I don't know if I should talk to my mom about this. Does she expect me to be thankful for all that she's done for me? Is she treating me like her own son because we both have brown hair? Does she feel satisfied for having me in her life? Cause I sure am indebted to pay her back for her care. What's dad gonna say about this? Does he have an explanation?

I feel like an rear end in a top hat for all the times that I screamed at her when I was an adolescent. Immature and Stupid. How did she deal with all that? Why did she have to go through all that?

I feel so bad about myself. I feel like I'm on the verge of falling off the edge of a cliff.

And then I made this account. This is the first time I'm using it. I still have no idea of how this works. As a student, I have no time for something like social media and connectivity. But I really needed some advice on this and I'm really disturbed.

tl;dr: I was going through my family album and then something hit me. I feel like I've been taking my stepmother for granted. The woman who filled the "VOID" in my life, the person who never let me down, the person who was always there for me. I wanna know if she's happy, I wanna know if she's regretful, I wanna why she raised me as her child and I wanna know why she decided to not have children of her own. These questions have been running through my head ever since yesterday. And I need answers to calm my disturbed soul.

quote:

"Update" I [17/M] told my Mom(step-mother)[42/F] everything that she need to know.
I did it. I told her everything that i wanted to tell her. Asked her the questions to which i could find no answer. But, things did get a little delayed because i was waiting for the right time to do this. And yesterday(the 28th of February), was the day it happened.

I had to plan things out, i wrote a brief letter and i gave her the family album, etc... But, all of these ideas were inspired by the advice that was given to me by some very "Nice" people, om my last post. A big thank you to all of them!

----Presentation: •I tore a page from my wastebook(watch "the birth of calculus" to understand what i mean by that). •And i wrote the words - "Thank You" at the top of the page, titling it a manner that would reduce the conspicuousness of the situation. •I kept things as simple and brief as possible because i believe that - "Beauty lies in Simplicity". People always screw things up, by overdoing stuff. •The letter: Mom, there's a lot have to tell you, but I'll be keeping this brief and saving the others for later. I thank you for always being there for me. I thank you for never letting go of me. Thanks for all the values that you've taught me. Thanks for raising me in a very nice way. Thank you for helping me become the person I am today. And as i look back at the past, I've been taken aback by the way i screamed at you, took you for granted, had a bad perspective about you. And I'm thankful that you stayed by stayed by my side all through those stormy adolescent years of my life, where i had no control over my rational self. I'm very sorry that you had to go through all of that. It's just that I came to the realisation of this only a few days ago. •that's what I wrote on that sheet of paper. •I then placed that sheet in the family album which has some of the earliest pictures of us together. •I told her that there something important that i needed to tell her. And i handed the book to her just before she was about watch - "America's Newsroom" at 9 am (E.T).

----Reactions: *****Spoiler alert!!!! -----We broke down together!!!!

•She put on her glasses and she opened the book. She looked at me and she said that she loved the days of her youth. •And then i told her to read the letter that i had written for her. •She replied---"A letter?!? I don't understand where this is going" •And then, she read it. •When she was done reading it, she looked at me, with tears welling up in her eyes. And she said "No. I need be thankful to have someone who could acknowledge this...." •She couldn't hold it in no more. •She broke down. I broke down. We broke down on each other's shoulders. •She said that it's a day that she won't forget cause it made her feel successful in raising up a child, that would reflect the same care to her. She said that she wanted to be my mother and take her of me as her own child because she saw me as her "Own" child.

tl;dr: i told my mom everything I needed to tell her. And things did go as planned. Things did get a little emotional when the both of us broke down. My questions were answered, by the person who knew the answers.

:3:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

2 to 3 Cats posted:

a good mom (tm)

meh if she's taught this kid reading the bible is a useful activity she's not nearly as good of a mom as this post lets on

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Isn't the submissive the one most ladies are into and empathize with? Somebody should tell that guy that so that he gets that she thinks he's the hotter one and probably doesn't think he's a pussy. Then again, drawing yaoi of your significant other sure is weird.

We studied the psychology behind yaoi for a day or so in my Japanese pop culture class almost two decades ago and it's basically a way for women to enjoy porn without the intrinsic imbalance that hetero love stories involve.

It was a fun class. It is where I found out that there was beautifully rendered fanfic about Kirk and Spock circulated around Japan in the 1960's.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
my heart is warmed. Aw.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

2 to 3 Cats posted:

a good mom (tm)

Getting loving dusty in here. :qq:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bored posted:

We studied the psychology behind yaoi for a day or so in my Japanese pop culture class almost two decades ago and it's basically a way for women to enjoy porn without the intrinsic imbalance that hetero love stories involve.

It was a fun class. It is where I found out that there was beautifully rendered fanfic about Kirk and Spock circulated around Japan in the 1960's.
The Kirk/Spock 1960s thing was a US zine thing.

There also doesn't need to be that much psychological analysis; it presupposes that women couldn't just actually be into it (because everyone knows women don't really like sex).

Do you think girl-girl porn is hot? Yes? Is it because you're afraid of dating women? Okay then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Caganer posted:

quote:

I mean, Arbys is OK, but i would prefer Taco Bell. At least its not Mcdonalds
This final line just is the icing on the goddamn cake :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

The Kirk/Spock 1960s thing was a US zine thing.

There also doesn't need to be that much psychological analysis; it presupposes that women couldn't just actually be into it (because everyone knows women don't really like sex).

Do you think girl-girl porn is hot? Yes? Is it because you're afraid of dating women? Okay then.

"if women like sex how come none of them will do it to me?" - a redditor