Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BrightWing posted:

I am not holding my breath wrt Eureka after daidem but maybe they figured it out this time.

Aren't they tying the relic/anima to eureka? People will do it just because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vermain posted:

I can't wait to start having loving PTSD flashbacks of getting trained in Oasis of Marr and losing half my level.

different game but :same:

/sh RUMBLE CRAWLER TRAIN TO ZONE

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

bigman.50grand posted:

Speaking of "mature themes", where's all the drugs and alcohol the ESRB warns me about each time I log on?

Need to get my DRG swerve on.

There is hardly any alcohol in the rest of the game because Gerolt drinks it all.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I was going to say that if Eorzea is such a grim dark place then let me spend all my character's gil on like an orphanage or something, but I looked it up and I guess I'm just not far enough into the game yet to have unlocked the literally an orphanage donation sidequest lol

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just do sylph beastman daily quests if you want drugs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cephas posted:

I was going to say that if Eorzea is such a grim dark place then let me spend all my character's gil on like an orphanage or something, but I looked it up and I guess I'm just not far enough into the game yet to have unlocked the literally an orphanage donation sidequest lol

There are in fact several orphanage donation sidequests! Though the second one is more of a "war widows/families of dead soldiers" fund than orphans strictly speaking.

Eorzea is a grim place it's just not gratuitously grim, it's optimistic despite how bad things can get and I think that's nice. :unsmith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cephas posted:

Oh yeah I should do that eventually.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rastan Beeza posted:

I specifically recall the orange older brother from Yanxia village pretty much saying if he angered the Garleans, they'd take his little sister and rape her, which was a little "oh poo poo" moment for me.

And a little more messed up considering they're under Yotsuyu's employment and knowing her backstory...

Abuse leads to abuse. Neglect, to neglect. It isn’t a new concept, but media has been portraying it well lately. (At least, the good poo poo!)

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh yeah I should do that eventually.

It's worth monster craft/gather experience, so definitely go unlock them. Easy crafter yellow scrips too.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Today in my EXDR adventures I came across this wonderful Dragoon doing a brisk 2.1k DPS in Hell's Lid

I'm trying wrap my head around what the gently caress they were actually doing rotationally and I can't figure it out

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Where are the auto attacks???

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

BrightWing posted:

Where are the auto attacks???

That's a skill damage breakdownchart.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

There are in fact several orphanage donation sidequests! Though the second one is more of a "war widows/families of dead soldiers" fund than orphans strictly speaking.

Eorzea is a grim place it's just not gratuitously grim, it's optimistic despite how bad things can get and I think that's nice. :unsmith:

Eorzea got lucky the new God of Murder is benevolent, and can be appeased with tomestones/glamour items.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bolow posted:

I'm trying wrap my head around what the gently caress they were actually doing rotationally and I can't figure it out

Clearly they were trying to divide that chart into as many pretty, evenly spaced colors as they could. They failed on the latter part.

Philonius posted:

Eorzea got lucky the new God of Murder is benevolent, and can be appeased with tomestones/glamour items.

The WoL is a primal, but instead of devouring aether and crystals, they devour the latest fashions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

The WoL is a primal, but instead of devouring aether and crystals, they devour the latest fashions.

Every patch, Rowena is wearing a new outfit based on whatever just got added to the game. Clearly, she is the true Warrior of Light.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had no idea Nashu had a sister.

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's worth monster craft/gather experience, so definitely go unlock them. Easy crafter yellow scrips too.

I still need to level crafters.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Brainamp posted:

The WoL is the meta-primal. We drain the land of primals.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

Thanks, but 3 days is definitely too much for me. I work ~3 nights a week, so I don't really want to dedicate all my available free evenings to this game :)

My ideal static raids tuesday night, clears the stuff on farm and then spends ~2 hours on the current progression target.

that's the exact reasoning for why i've stepped away from that exact static! you're not an alternate universe version of me where i chose to be a paladin instead of a dark knight, are you?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

The few times that FFXIV has referenced sexual violence haven't been for no reason. It's been used to emphasize the deplorable conditions in which people have been forced to live, especially in the context of their dehumanization (most notably in the case of Ala Mhigans). I only find it distasteful when it's used as a cheap emotional trigger; it's fine as an element of exposition.

Eh, Minfilia and her catmom are both threatened with rape as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Eh, Minfilia and her catmom are both threatened with rape as well.

Which quests were those in? I genuinely don't remember that.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm coming back after an 8 month hiatus and I've completely forgotten my rotations, and my hud layouts and hotkeys got hosed, it is going to be a pain to get back in the swing of things. Maybe it is finally time to level a tank.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Reminder that in Sastasha, the very first dungeon of the game, you have a bevy of female NPC's that swear by what remains of their virtue.
Virtue is one of those medievalism's for virginity.
One of the offshoots in the part of the dungeon where you find those NPC's is blocked off by iron bars and a locked cell door with a key next to it. Inside are more of those NPC's some of which, IIRC, appear to be in distress.

Yeah.

There's also the Missing Member in Limsa Lominsa, featured prominently in the 50-60 CUL quest. Hang out around there sometime and see what the NPC's there (it's owned by a female pirate crew) say and how that implies what's happening.
Equal opportunity Piratism ahoy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sastasha's pirates also say "Take the women alive" if you have any female characters in your party.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sastasha's pirates also say "Take the women alive" if you have any female characters in your party.

I wondered if that was only when women were in the party, but never felt like fantasiaing to a dude to find out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Join us :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

Which quests were those in? I genuinely don't remember that.

When Minfilia's kidnapped and held in Castrum Centri, you're initially sent to spy on the place and confirm she's there. You overhear a couple of imperial soldiers talking about wanting to rape Minfilia.

When you're on the trail of catmom, the sleazy jackass at Costa del Sol says that if he'd known who catmom was he'd have chained her to his bed and may have to send mercs to bring her back to him, permanently.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's not great

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Anyone know of any goon crafters who make levekits, and what their pricing might be?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There is/was also the drunken guy in Camp Drybone who tries to proposition you if you're a lady. I think he just tells you to get lost if you're a dude.

And IIRC it's implied pretty strongly that Gaius and Livia were an item but in a less than emotionally healthy way.

Yeah there's a lot of sexual mistreatment of women in this game's setting, though almost entirely on the part of people we are meant to dislike. It still can get kind of gross and gratuitous though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so here's a question

What if Rowena and Jessie ever decided to go into competition with each other?

Who would prevail and how many people in Eorzea would die?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

There is/was also the drunken guy in Camp Drybone who tries to proposition you if you're a lady. I think he just tells you to get lost if you're a dude.

And IIRC it's implied pretty strongly that Gaius and Livia were an item but in a less than emotionally healthy way.

Yeah there's a lot of sexual mistreatment of women in this game's setting, though almost entirely on the part of people we are meant to dislike. It still can get kind of gross and gratuitous though.

See also Ultros. I did not find "pervy octopus keeps propositioning women and making tentacle sex jokes" funny, I just found it gross and juvenile.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

See also Ultros. I did not find "pervy octopus keeps propositioning women and making tentacle sex jokes" funny, I just found it gross and juvenile.

And then he gets slam-dunked.

Just as deserved :colbert:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 2, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

When Minfilia's kidnapped and held in Castrum Centri, you're initially sent to spy on the place and confirm she's there. You overhear a couple of imperial soldiers talking about wanting to rape Minfilia.

When you're on the trail of catmom, the sleazy jackass at Costa del Sol says that if he'd known who catmom was he'd have chained her to his bed and may have to send mercs to bring her back to him, permanently.

Oh, yeah, good catch. 2.X is a graveyard of bad writing up until about 2.3 or so, so it's no surprise there's poo poo like that lurking around. Heavensward and Stormblood both treated the subject with an appropriate level of maturity.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I dunno. I recently went through the SB story quests and distictly remember some patrol of baddies or whatever in Gyr Abania going past me, can't remember if garleans or wolf skull dudes, but they were pepping up their buddy in the manner of "yo we're gonna get us some local beauties later on, join in and we're gonna make a man outta you". That was out of cutscene, speech bubble only, and probably easily missed, but this stuff is still there.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HenryEx posted:

I dunno. I recently went through the SB story quests and distictly remember some patrol of baddies or whatever in Gyr Abania going past me, can't remember if garleans or wolf skull dudes, but they were pepping up their buddy in the manner of "yo we're gonna get us some local beauties later on, join in and we're gonna make a man outta you". That was out of cutscene, speech bubble only, and probably easily missed, but this stuff is still there.

Stormblood is explicitly about the depredations of imperialism, and the dehumanization and humiliation of the colonized population is a critical part of that. It's a different ballpark compared to the stuff in 2.X.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

Oh, yeah, good catch. 2.X is a graveyard of bad writing up until about 2.3 or so, so it's no surprise there's poo poo like that lurking around. Heavensward and Stormblood both treated the subject with an appropriate level of maturity.

The quest I'm doing right now is giving me a long panty shot on a female NPC bad guy as she rants about how she had to steal and prostitute herself to survive, the camera positioned to look straight up her skirt as she sits on the ground.

FF14's misogynistic undertones have bothered me for a while, but this is just gratuitous.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not like they got their comeuppance or something, they were just untargetable nameless NPCs walking past you. Sprinkling this stuff about without purpose for shock value isn't exactly an appropriate level of maturity or whatever.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HenryEx posted:

It's not like they got their comeuppance or something, they were just untargetable nameless NPCs walking past you. Sprinkling this stuff about without purpose for shock value isn't exactly an appropriate level of maturity or whatever.

Like I mentioned above thread, its purpose is expository. You aren't treated to any explicit scenes of sexual violence, nor even anyone being directly threatened with it. It's half-hidden and alluded to throughout the expansion, because the intention isn't to shock you, but to inform you about the world and the power dynamics involved in an imperialist occupation.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Like I mentioned above thread, its purpose is expository. You aren't treated to any explicit scenes of sexual violence, nor even anyone being directly threatened with it. It's half-hidden and alluded to throughout the expansion, because the intention isn't to shock you, but to inform you about the world and the power dynamics involved in an imperialist occupation.

Why exactly doesn't the same thing apply to Limsan pirates contrasting historical reality to the modern-day romanticized image in pre-2.4 writing to you then?

The writing hasn't changed as much as you desperately want to believe it has.