Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

hobbesmaster posted:

if they’re cdma not for too much longer

lte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

this beats what I thought this was going to be, stealing oil from transformers for cooking :negative:

quote:

Consumption of PCB-laden chips poses a health risk to Kenyans in a country where health services are already underfunded and doctors are in short supply

no i think you put the chips on the PCB not the other way around

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ah they might not notice for a while then

cradlepoint?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

prisoner of waffles posted:

as always a good and substantive post is mostly not engaged with

(also you are still owed 1 avatar)

Eh, if it wasn't interesting to folks no reason for them to respond. You're drat right about that avatar though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife said that everyone at the hospital in nola had to stop asking who the president was as part of the mental assessment because it's really difficult to empathize w/ a patient when they just blurt out the n word

then we moved to california and everyone at the hospital here had to stop asking who the president was as part of the mental assessment because "that rear end in a top hat" is not a useful answer

from a week after inauguration:

2DCAT posted:

Funny getting hit by a car story: The paramedic asked me a series of questions to determine whether I was all there. The last question was "Who is the President of the United States?" my response was literally "God loving damnit" and the paramedic laughed and said that was an acceptable answer.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/969298251101818880

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a true hero :patriot:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bless you sir

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he was just trying to cut the battery since they didn't put in a switch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lovin that police language like "created some motion" or "discharged weapon, striking the unarmed individual"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lovin that police language like "created some motion" or "discharged weapon, striking the unarmed individual"

i think you mean "an officer-involved shooting where the suspect received multiple bullet wounds"

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think you mean "an officer-involved discharge of a firearm where the suspect obtained multiple bullet wounds"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh god the fun we had with this

bullshittiously officious language i mean, not shooting people

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I saw a headline last week that was something like "bystander in officer involved shooting had no active warrants" when the cops raided and shot up the wrong house

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

oh god the fun we had with this

bullshittiously officious language i mean, not shooting people

your mistake was being an army cop. the civilian force is where the real action happens

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

they absolutely do but the discovery algorithm needs to be smarter than "a playlist tha's just some poo poo you searched for once, forever, with no new advice"

also a "new hits" section that isn't entirely hip-hop would be nice, not that i have a problem with hip-hop but i'm not n-bombing my office

my understanding is that on spotify human-curated playlists is where it's the best chance for some musician to get his stuff into rotation, and there's some emerged market of people who make these playlists which is not entirely unlike what radio hosts kind of do

not sure how the playlists are chosen and promoted though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
has anyone said hyperpoop yet

https://twitter.com/schmangee/status/969293437668397056

“Ohio is defined by its history of innovation and adventure,” said Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who once canceled a $400 million Obama-era grant for high-speed rail in the state. “A hyperloop in Ohio would build upon that heritage.” In January, a bipartisan group of Rust Belt representatives wrote to President Trump to ask for $20 million in federal funding for a Hyperloop Transportation Initiative, a Department of Transportation division that would regulate and fund a travel mode with no proof of concept.

It’s hard to keep up: Last week, the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission announced feasibility and environmental-impact studies for a different hyperloop route, connecting Pittsburgh and Chicago through Columbus, Ohio, to be run by a different company, Virgin Hyperloop One. The company—which fired a steel pod through a tube at 240 mph in December—is also studying routes in Missouri and Colorado. Meanwhile, Elon Musk—who has obtained (contested) tunneling permission from Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan—pulled a permit from the District of Columbia for a future hyperloop station.

In a promotional clip for the Great Lakes Hyperloop that plays like a sequel to Chrysler’s Detroit Super Bowl commercial, a gravelly voice intones that this is not a dream, as b-roll footage of factories is cut with aerial footage of what can only be construction of an oil-and-gas pipeline. “We’ve already got a prototype,” the narrator instructs.

They don’t.
Andrea La Mendola, the company’s chief global operations officer and chief engineering council member, told me there is no full-scale prototype just yet. The company says it is building one now in the southern French city of Toulouse. “In terms of full-scale, all-integration, it will [be the first prototype],” he said. “We will start with 400 meters. Then we go up to 1 kilometer, and possibly 1.6 kilometers—if we add a curve at the end.”

I’m no engineer, but if the company wants to blast humans at the speed of sound for hundreds of miles across the American Midwest, maybe they should build the curve. A few of them.

La Mendola isn’t an engineer either. Before joining HTT as its chief global operating officer and a member of its chief engineering council, La Mendola was working as a filmmaker. He has a master’s degree in engineering—media and cinema engineering. It’s a well-deployed skill set: What Hyperloop Transportation Technologies lacks in nuts and bolts, it more than makes up for in Hollywood flair. The pods will be coated in “Vibranium,” a rebranded carbon fiber whose name you may recognize from Black Panther.

lolll forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy gently caress.

yes, let's earmark billions for a magical kind of train that doesn't exist instead of building actual rail infrastructure today. you want a high-speed train? go ask the japanese, they've been running them for 30 loving years, they can probably build you one between whatever c-list midwestern transit hubs you want

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

didn't they build a "prototype" that was like 1000 feet long and took 8 hours to depressurize?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
diaperpoop

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

holy gently caress.

yes, let's earmark billions for a magical kind of train that doesn't exist instead of building actual rail infrastructure today. you want a high-speed train? go ask the japanese, they've been running them for 30 loving years, they can probably build you one between whatever c-list midwestern transit hubs you want

building actual things doesn't give these companies in the PPPs as much money to pocket as a nebulous study of a theoretical transportation mode does

i should be surprised that there are multiple hyperloop companies but i'm not really in the face of this kinda thing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i suppose i already know the answer to this question, but are people, people with money, honestly so easily enthralled by whatever latest flash in the pan gimmick that’s shat out by some futurist rear end in a top hat that they’re willing to pass over proven technology and systems just to get a taste?

“invest in high speed rail/other proven models of mass transit? I’d rather throw money into a hyperloop-shaped hole!”

is it all just some VC pyramid scheme??

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's just politics, and these new companies are much better at getting at that government pork (and kicking it back to the governor in some way)

"we cant get enough VC, or the VC's want out, lets get some sweet sweet government dollars"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as many 1%er rich people there are, and VC firms and other investors out there, its still really hard to find an investor with a fatter wallet than the federal government

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

building actual things doesn't give these companies in the PPPs as much money to pocket as a nebulous study of a theoretical transportation mode does

i should be surprised that there are multiple hyperloop companies but i'm not really in the face of this kinda thing

oh i know. it's the reason metrolinx is paying to study "hydrogen trains" instead of just building a loving overhead line system like they'd planned to a decade ago.

doesn't matter that almost no one builds fuel-cell trains and the few that exist even as concepts are too small to handle our double-decker rolling stock. and none of the hydrogen generation infrastructure exists. and none of the hydrogen storage infrastructure exists. no, lets build an entire industry and supply chain from scratch to supply these trains no one builds, rather than just getting on with putting up the overhead lines and buying some catenary engines and calling it a day

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep posted:

i suppose i already know the answer to this question, but are people, people with money, honestly so easily enthralled by whatever latest flash in the pan gimmick that’s shat out by some futurist rear end in a top hat that they’re willing to pass over proven technology and systems just to get a taste?

“invest in high speed rail/other proven models of mass transit? I’d rather throw money into a hyperloop-shaped hole!”

is it all just some VC pyramid scheme??

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

“Ohio is defined by its history of innovation and adventure,”

vainglorious imbeciles

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also actually building these big projects takes years and years and they might not be in office by the time something like a brand new commuter rail system comes online for them to take credit for it, while at the same time they're paying the political costs of things like the right-of-way acquisitions and bond measures/new sales taxes needed for such a project to get going

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you know what? gently caress it. we deserve to go extinct. don’t have to kill anyone, just universal sterilization.

as a species we’re just the absolute worst

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Research Expanding Brain Dot JPG

small brain: NSF grant
big brain: private capital investment
galaxy brain: federal private-public partnership

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
universe brain: volunteer workforce collaborating thru google docs that you use to calculate corporate value

It’s there, they have frequently stated, that the company’s unique advantage lies: in the more than 900 volunteers so enamored with the idea of a functional hyperloop that they deploy their time and expertise suggesting materials, building simulations, or developing marketing in exchange for stock options. A fawning Harvard Business Review case study published in 2017 cast conventionalities like “paying full-time salaries and being focused on traditional employment” as “substantial disadvantages.” The study praised HTT’s cost-saving strategy of collaborating over Google Docs and reported that the company’s more than 60,000 social media followers “contributed in various ways,” including alerting the CEO to new engineering research. In inventing and implementing a commercial transportation mode, the method is unorthodox, to put it mildly. Terri Griffith, a professor of management at Santa Clara University’s Leavey School of Business and one of the study’s authors, told me she thought the company’s record of patents and feasibility studies provided evidence that the system was working even in the absence of a prototype.

The company claims to be worth $100 million, though that calculation relies on the valuation of volunteer contributions and products on loan from starry-eyed partner companies like Leybold, which manufactures the vacuum pumps that might one day suck the air out of a transportation tube. La Mendola says the company now employs about 40 salaried engineers, who are charged with merely reinventing the relationship between time and distance.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Terri Griffith, a professor of management at Santa Clara University’s Leavey School of Business and one of the study’s authors, told me she thought the company’s record of patents and feasibility studies provided evidence that the system was working even in the absence of a prototype.

:fuckoff:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh lord the monthly SV transportation luncheon is going to be on something called "Smart Regions"

i'm guessing it's similar to the hot new "smart cities" idea but applied across multiple townships in the area

uuuggggghhhhhhh

what if instead of allowing a new house to be built ever, we installed an app? chet businesson reveals how the east bay can solve the housing crisis and traffic with this one weird trick

Stymie posted:

yeah, she wanted to suppress votes too to ensure the superdelegates weren't an issue for anyone but her so thanks for confirming

as for arrests, specifically who? like not necessarily everybody, but who do you think will be the most likely highest-profile arrests? manafort? flynn? gates? kushner? trump?

superdelegates have never been a problem excep tin the minds of the deranged faux-left, fyi

a bunch of guys. why don't you name who's not going to be arrested

Bhodi posted:

it's a social crime, what we do to old folks

i was in newcastle last year and I walk into a pub at 2pm on a tuesday and there's 40 seniors in there just sitting around tables drinking beer bullshitting with friends and happy to have a chat with anyone, that's the kind of poo poo i want to see but it's only possible in a country that both takes care of everyone and has public transportation for people who can't drive anymore

what kind of idiot bullshit is this where old people dont sit around drinking down the vfw or whatever all day in america

also lol that you think old people need public transportation to get drunk. or that they're being taken care of, they are drinking all day long at a bar after all

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

there are a shitload of old, isolated shut ins out there, especially in rural/suburban areas. if you can’t drive, or have someone drive you, then you’re largely hosed in much of this country.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Penisface posted:

my understanding is that on spotify human-curated playlists is where it's the best chance for some musician to get his stuff into rotation, and there's some emerged market of people who make these playlists which is not entirely unlike what radio hosts kind of do

not sure how the playlists are chosen and promoted though

I frequently get playlists containing artists I already listen to plus some other stuff thrown in. All things considered Spotify is pretty decent.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Terri Griffith, a professor of management at Santa Clara University’s Leavey School of Business and one of the study’s authors, told me she thought the company’s record of patents and feasibility studies provided evidence that the system was working even in the absence of a prototype.

shadow investor spotted

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

there are a shitload of old, isolated shut ins out there, especially in rural/suburban areas. if you can’t drive, or have someone drive you, then you’re largely hosed in much of this country.

this isnt unusual at all. real hosed up old people can't get around places anywhere, or if they can they usually don't. it's the same in england or austria as it is in america

there is nothing special about america in this regard. especially since it really doesn't matter that theres no public transit in places that are literally empty voids

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

but there’s also no transit in a lot of places that aren’t empty voids

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

but there’s also no transit in a lot of places that aren’t empty voids

newsflash: the exact same thing is true across the entire world, in every country except like singapore or san marino since those are literally just a city

and it's especially so for olds because a lot of them are still staying out in farmlands they were born on, or moved to outlying/cheap suburbs before they retired

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

newsflash: the exact same thing is true across the entire world, in every country except like singapore or san marino since those are literally just a city

and it's especially so for olds because a lot of them are still staying out in farmlands they were born on, or moved to outlying/cheap suburbs before they retired

ok, perhaps. just to make sure i get you though, you’re saying that public transit in america is on par with that of most other developed countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in this case i'm just going to assume the dude motioned to the tesla making a jerk-off motion

President Beep posted:

investors are increasingly chasing stupider and stupider ideas for the promise of bigger returns, it's basically the topic of the thread and a symptom of rich ppl having more money than they know what to do with

for pols the alternative is putting that money into useful programs that will be too popular to axe in a few years. this kind of poo poo makes today's pols look good now and lets tomorrow's pols look good when they poo poo-can the failing project as "pork barrel spending"