Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

How are so many people stabbing or slicing themselves when cutting avacodos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

It's the millenial curse

I've never cut myself while cutting something, but I have absolutely cut myself while washing a kitchen knife

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Meme Emulator posted:

I find it particularly impressive because you don't even need a sharp knife to cut an avocado.

Pretend I posted that picture of a dude who somehow rammed a steak knife all the way through the pit, the other side of the avocado, and his hand.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Meme Emulator posted:

the reason millenials can't afford houses is not the avocado, it's the 50k in medical bills after they slice a tendon and pick up some weird antibiotic resistant infection from their geriatric roomie who won't shut up about korea

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

chitoryu12 posted:

That would explain all the football players getting charged with domestic violence. They step on the lawn and their instincts take over and WHAM they bodyslam their wife.

i shouldn't have laughed out loud at this (but i did)

plus: content!

I [30/F] wrote a book about my ex [29/m]. Should I let him know?Non-Romantic (self.relationships)

quote:

A 60,000+ word memoir about our year together-- from meeting each other, to adventures we went on to breaking up and moving on. I finally put the cover and text files together so I could send it to the self-publisher today.

He always was very confused by me and my actions. We could consider this an instructional manual a few months too late. lol

I am only going to print one copy for myself since it's so personal. Then I can put it on my shelf and take it out in the far distant future if I ever want to relieve old memories.

I want to print a copy for him as well and give it to him, but I don't have the balls. We've been talking a bit in the past few weeks through text, but it's mostly surface stuff. The last thing he said to me was a few days ago when he told me to not listen to the haters in my life because I'm pretty cool despite what people were saying about me (long story, but at least he's been pretty supportive and after spending some months apart we both seem to want to just get over everything and continue being friends).

I just wish I had the guts to say "I don't know if you want to read this or not, but I kind of wrote a book about you and about us." How the hell would I even bring that up anyway?

Most people I've talked to about it have said "if anyone ever wrote a whole book about me, I'd think it was pretty cool and want a copy" but I fear (maybe unjustly) that he would just be weirded out by it.

I like how she makes out like she's the next Augusten Burroughs but really she's just the chick from Crazy Ex Girlfriend but with an MFA from Iowa[/quote]

Ted Mosby: Sex Architect: The Book

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
(Washington) My Ex was harassing me, I recorded everything and gave it to police. He told me it was against the law to record him without his consent. Help?(self.legaladvice)

quote:

I'm 19, I was dating (or more like seeing) a 23-year old guy for a few weeks, but he was starting to creep me out, so I broke up with him. Then all hell broke loose. He started texting and calling me, sometimes he was just calling me names, but often he was threatening me, like for example that he was going to bash my head in, kill me, all kinds of stuff. I thought he was just gonna stop eventually, but one night he called me that I will never be safe again in my home and the next day I found a dead guinea pig on our doorstep. That's when I realized it was really serious, so I started recording everything and I recorded several of his threatening calls. All this happened over the course of a few days, I then finally told my mom and we went to police together, they took our statements. I gave them the recordings and photos of the guinea pig. One of the officers also told us that we have enough to apply for restraining order, so we're going to do that.

Next time my ex called, I told him about it and he laughed and said that what he did wasn't illegal (???) since he never actually acted on his threats (uhm, that guinea pig?) and that recording a conversation without the consent of both parties in Washington is illegal and I commited felony. I checked it and apparently, Washington is a two-party consent state. What the gently caress, did I actually break the law? Seems like so. I'm a freshman in college, if I get in trouble and get kicked out, my parents will kill me. And I don't want to have a felony on my record.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Call a lawyer, but give them time to soak in their pants with sexual excitement as the orgasmically shout “Ill take the case!”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Caganer posted:

(Washington) My Ex was harassing me, I recorded everything and gave it to police. He told me it was against the law to record him without his consent. Help?(self.legaladvice)

I think I know what prompted this search :buddy:

Anyway I don't know much about WA state laws but if she already brought this stuff to the cops and they went "yikes, ok here's your restraining order" it seems pretty unlikely that they're gonna follow that up with "oh btw you did a crime and we're taking you to jail now so your ex can laugh at you" at a later date

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My ex-wife [40F] doesn’t like the way I [45M] spend time with our daughter [11F]. She thinks I spoil her too much.

quote:

Ex-wife (May) and I have been divorced for 10 years. We split amicably and have a 50/50 split custody of our daughter, Amy. I have her on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and ex has her on Mon-Thurs. May has always pushed our daughter to excel academically. I wasn’t opposed to it initially because I think it is important to do well in school but my ex-wife is really going overboard lately. She has our daughter going for supplementary math, science and art classes after school and signed her up for piano and violin classes. Amy has school from 7:30 am to 2 pm. After that she has supplementary classes from 3 – 5 pm. Her mother gives her assignments to complete every day from assessment books that she does until 7:30pm. Then her mother will mark the assessments and go over them with her. After that she has to complete her homework and then she goes to bed. She is allowed to watch 30 mins of TV everyday. I don’t agree with this and have spoken to ex wife about it but she doesn’t want to budge. May is paranoid about Amy not living to her “academic potential”.

On Friday I pick Amy up after school, we have dinner, watch a movie and go to bed. On Saturday we sleep in, watch movies and I let her play games on my electronics and we go over her homework from school. Sunday I send her for swim classes in the morning and we play in the pool till afternoon and I drive her back to her mother in the evening. It’s not set in stone, but that’s how the weekends usually go for us. The problem is that her mother wants me to practice violin and piano music sheets with Amy because she’s behind her music classes and her tutors have complained that Amy doesn’t practice for her classes which doesn’t surprise me because Amy literally doesn’t have time to do so. I play the piano and violin and May wants me to practice with her but Amy is not interested and I don’t want to force her to do so. May and I have been arguing about this for a while now and she thinks I am spoiling Amy and that I don’t care about her education. I’m tired of arguing about the same thing over and over and I want Amy to enjoy spending time with her Dad and not force her into practicing something she doesn't enjoy. How can I convince my ex wife to drop this issue?

tl;dr: Ex wife really pushing our daughter into extra lessons and wants me to spend more time practicing music with her during the weekends but our daughter doesn't want to and I don't want to force her. Now ex wife is claiming that I do not care about her education and that I am spoiling her. How can I get her to drop this issue? We have been arguing about the same thing for many weeks.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People are weird. Why yes, I took a call from a person who has a history of threatening to kill me.

Why yes, I will have a conversation about my future with a dude that just threatened and tripped me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

Anyway I don't know much about WA state laws but if she already brought this stuff to the cops and they went "yikes, ok here's your restraining order" it seems pretty unlikely that they're gonna follow that up with "oh btw you did a crime and we're taking you to jail now so your ex can laugh at you" at a later date

yeah even if what she did is technically illegal there's no way the police will press any charges that the guy who is mutilating animals and leaving death threats might want to raise. he's just trying to manipulate her

Haifisch posted:

My ex-wife [40F] doesn’t like the way I [45M] spend time with our daughter [11F]. She thinks I spoil her too much.

making your child work a 60+ hour week is a great way to burn them out. drat let your kid be a kid dont try to mold them into a neurotic mess

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

loquacius posted:

I think I know what prompted this search :buddy:

haha it's on the front page of /r/legaladvice but yeah the anon thread made me read it

and a commenter brought up this exception:

quote:

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, wire communications or conversations (a) of an emergency nature, such as the reporting of a fire, medical emergency, crime, or disaster, or (b) which convey threats of extortion, blackmail, bodily harm, or other unlawful requests or demands, or (c) which occur anonymously or repeatedly or at an extremely inconvenient hour, or (d) which relate to communications by a hostage holder or barricaded person as defined in RCW 70.85.100, whether or not conversation ensues, may be recorded with the consent of one party to the conversation.

also there's such a thing as "prosecutorial discretion" and people have a right to a jury trial so i doubt they'd prosecute her for it. though without the exception they might just slap a restraining order on the guy rather than actually charge him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah there are legal protections in place which is why shes nothing to worry about.

Well i mean hes absolutely going to try and kill her but the recording thing shell be fine.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Meme Emulator posted:

because of the big stone the most obvious way to cut an avocado is to cup it in your off hand while cutting it so you can rotate it to move the knife around the stone, rather than using a chopping board like you would for something that could just be cut in one stroke, thus exposing said off hand to knifing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

That daughter is gonna hate the gently caress out of her mom when she grows up. Also musical instruments. And supplementary classes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midnight Voyager posted:

That daughter is gonna hate the gently caress out of her mom when she grows up. Also musical instruments. And supplementary classes.

100% ex wife is getting pissed because her daughter wants to hang out with dad more often because dad's house isn't violin work camp and she can just zone out and play minecraft

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
That 11 year old is going to totally fall apart once she doesn't have her mom scheduling every single minute of her day

Source: experience

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

And people wonder why school shootings are everywhere these days...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
An 11 year old is doing schoolwork for 12 hours a day BEFORE STARTING HOMEWORK. What the actual gently caress. And that's not even counting music lessons and poo poo.

A good way to make sure a kid doesn't reach their potential is to burn them out by age 13.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That little girl is going to rebel so hard. The mother is pushing way too hard way too early.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Forcing your kid to learn the two instruments that the other parent plays against her will is a real special gently caress you but i'll concede it's strategic brilliance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah from the comments it sounds like she doesn't actually have to transfer the tickets and right now the coworker is just out 450 with the promise of receiving them, they don't actually have the tickets to hold hostage or anything.

OP should just tell the co-worker she didn't win the lottery this year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

because of the big stone the most obvious way to cut an avocado is to cup it in your off hand while cutting it so you can rotate it to move the knife around the stone, rather than using a chopping board like you would for something that could just be cut in one stroke, thus exposing said off hand to knifing.

Yes, if you have zero cooking/knife skills at all this is how you handle an avocado or bagel. If so your parents failed you.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
My boss [50's F] threatening to fire me [27F] if I miss work tomorrow.Non-Romantic (self.relationships)

quote:

Last year I had a lot of medical issues relating to my anxiety/depression that caused me to miss a good chunk of work and in January I sat down with my boss and made a plan for recovery/improved attendance at work. Since then I've been to the doctor and followed all aspects of this plan to a T. However, one stipulation of this "plan" is that I absolutely cannot miss a Friday or Saturday at work without "prior approval".

This past week I was fighting off what I thought was a cold, but ended up needing to leave work early on Wednesday due to a fever. Upon getting home I passed out almost immediately and slept for nearly 18 hours. I have a fever, am coughing, my sinuses are congested, and I'm having (tmi) pure liquid diarrhea.

Thursday, today, is my day off so I am spending it trying to recover. I called my other boss [50's M] (they are a husband and wife team) this morning for "prior approval" to take tomorrow off and he sounded concerned for me (you can hear the sickness in my voice).

Wife boss texted me 3 hours later that "there is no wiggle room" and I "must be at work tomorrow per our agreement". I have 8 hours of PTO left this year (used a chunk in January after the death of my grandmother) and I pleaded with her to reconsider but haven't gotten a response.

If it adds any context, I work in an optometrist's office and my job on Fridays is to work patients up for the doctors to perform their exams. Meaning not only will I be exposing all of my coworkers to this virus, but every single patient I come into contact with, as well.

Do I have any legal rights here? Even though I signed a paper that vaguely says I need approval to take time off, are they required to allow me to stay home if I'm going to be putting the rest of the staff in danger of getting sick? Do I need a doctor's note?

tl;dr: boss says I'm fired if I don't come to work tomorrow even though I have the flu.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Give the boss your flu. Touch everything at work and make him learn the hard way.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Shoulda thought of that before you got sick. Better spruce up that résumé.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BadSamaritan posted:

Give the boss your flu. Touch everything at work and make him learn the hard way.

Or get as many coworkers as sick as possible, especially those that answer phones for the boss/owners.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i'd be stinkpalming everything i could get my grubby paws on

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Designate the area behind your chair the splatter zone and post one of these signs:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Caganer posted:

Dead guinea pig? How could anyone kill a guinea pig?!

Kill that man.
(Hanging out with my guinea pig rn)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 2, 2018

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

coronatae posted:

You haven’t plumbed the depths of hell until you’ve seen explicit fanart of various youtube personalities loving

e: wait actually this might be worse, or at least on the same level

I have so many questions that I'm not sure I want answers to. Like, how do mermaids have oral sex?

And how does one "gentrify cannibalism"?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SerialKilldeer posted:

I have so many questions that I'm not sure I want answers to. Like, how do mermaids have oral sex?

Presumably one of the partners was human so the mermaid performed oral sex on that guy. "gentryifying cannibalism" was just a nonsensical accusation that only made sense in the scammer's mind.

Re: yaoi talk, yaoi and slash are popular for a myriad reasons and trying to fit that popularity into one neat box is a fool's errand.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SerialKilldeer posted:

Dolphinsex.org

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

SerialKilldeer posted:

Possibly the idea that historically only non-Whites have been accused of cannibalism (Native American tribes, Pacific Islanders, South American "head shrinkers", etc.), so having a White character eat another human being is akin to renovating a lower income (which is typically full of minority residents) neighborhood via an influx of more wealthy residents. Somehow...

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

My [26 f] gay cousin [32 m] tried to convince me multiple times that my bf [30m] of 8 months is gay. Now i have annoying doubts that i dont want to have.

quote:

I know my cousin being gay does not make him an authority on the subject, but he's 100% convinced my bf is gay. He told me "that dude doesn't bat for your team" when i showed him pictures of my bf before we even started dating. He based his judgment on a bunch of gay and straight stereotypes. Like saying a girl is a lesbian if she cuts her hair super short or doesnt wear makeup, that kind of thing.

I would say thats homophobic as poo poo, but my cousin is openly gay and very active in the lgbt community so when i told him thats homophobic he laughed at me and said that's like calling a black person a kkk member. Okay cuz whatever you say.

He told me hes looking out for ne and doesn't want me to get hurt. He said hes seen a lot of dudes from this area in the country (think cowboys and jesus) find a nice pretty girl, get married as a cover and sleep with dudes on the side until they get caught becuase being gay here isn't accepted. I can see that being a thing, but i honestly don't think thats happening here.

I hate to say it but i see where hes coming from. My bf hadnt had a gf before me for nearly 3 years. He's 30 and was single, but hes so god drat attractive it hurts. Like movie star quality man, not to mention a body built by Michael Angelo. He's successful, drives a beautiful car, owns a house, keeps it tidy, responsible pet owner, hilarious, smart, plays piano, is crafty, the list goes on and on. But why on earth is such a dream boat single? i figured he just hadn't met the right woman yet. funny that id be the right woman though honestly. I'm pretty and all but im just a poor bartender makinf her way through college at a snails pace. I dont have much to offer other than mt looks and sense of humor.

Anyway, hes got a great sense of fashion, he coordinates his socks woth his dress shirt, he has more hair (and beard) and skin products than i do, he has a walk in closet filled with designer form fitting clothes, he has gorgeous blazers, he loves bright colors and floral patterns for ties, hes incredibly well groomed and smells like heaven. Honestly these are seen in society as "feminine" traits, most "mens men" wear the ugliest clothes i can imagine. I dont think at all that being fashionable and caring about your appearance makes you gay or less masculine, i think its very attractive and its a huge part of the reason he stood out to me. although i dont think its "gay" i know other people including ny cousin do.

He loves shopping. we spend hours at the mall together. He's always going into express or Banana Republic with me, picking out things he thinks would look great on me, and hes always right! i would rather shop with him than my girlfriends. He loves shoes too. Again, another stereotypical gay thing, but drat its what ive always wanted lol. Idk i think saying a guys gay becuase he likes fashion is like saying a girl is gay becuase she likes video games or sports.

My cousin pointed out that he sits and stands in a very effeminate manner. I said big deal, i sit like a dude all the time.

Idk its all just dumb stereotypes that i know arent true and i know hes not gay. We have sex all the time, and hes pretty into it. He gets hard just cuddling with me, he is very phsyical with me which leads me to think hes as attracted to me as i am to him. Idk about you but i dont think a gay guy would eat his cover gf out all the time right?

The issue is, now these "effeminate" traits stick out to me and its like i have my cousin on mt shoulder saying "hes just using you, hes gonna cheat on you with men for the rest of your life." My logical brain that im in control of is 200%aware this isnt true. Its stupid and i still firmly believe thinking someone is gay by how they dress stand or their interests is ignorant and homophobic. But i cant control this part of me, and sometimes it eats away at me .

Like...2 months ago he was having a bad few weeks at work so we didnt have a lot of sex...none for 2 weeks which is really really bad for us, we have sex almost daily or every other day at least. The first thing i jumped to is "omg my cousin was right". I KNEW it was stress. KNEW it. but i had that voice in my head.

a few nights ago we were drinking and he saw my shoes on the ground and picked one up and said "these are loving gorgeous omg, why do women get the best shoes its not fair." i was like "yeah i found these at good will, arent they so pretty? they were 4 bucks" he goes "omg what a steal, youre so thrifty i just love it." I heard my cousins voice in my head again "dude what kind of striaght guy says that?"

im going nuts.

it probably doesnt help that every guy ive dated before him was a womanizing pig that could give a gently caress about their hygene, never mind their clothing choices.

Im so happy with my boyfriend. I play video games with him, we cook together, he helps me do my hair, he buys me awesome makeup, he compliments my style instead of just my rear end, he has great style himself, we can spend hours at the mall together amd have fun, he gets pedicures with me, he just go so well together. its like its too perfect so of course im thinking there has to be something wrong.

tl;dr idiot cousin thinks wonderful bf is gay. pointed out every effeminate thing bf does and tries to convince me hes gay. bf does do things a lot of guys ive known dont, but its great, i love it. we have tons of sex, im sure hes attracted to me. unfortunately i have doubts about my bfs sexuality from time to time becuase of everything my cousin pointed out. i want it to stop. i have no reason to doubt his love attraction or lotalty. help.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [26 f] gay cousin [32 m] tried to convince me multiple times that my bf [30m] of 8 months is gay. Now i have annoying doubts that i dont want to have.

Pounded in the Relationship By My Downer Cousin

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Fatkraken posted:

wtf Who does this?

All of the avocado related injuries I've seen are from people swinging the knife like a psycho when they're removing the stone instead of a light tap. Or,. Missing the stone Completely when they do.
source: All my friends are idiot millennials who should not be allowed near knives

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

The pedicure thing doesn’t mean anything. My brother would go get pedis with our cousin.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

La Brea Carpet posted:

i had a couple friends who dated/married gay guys

both were religous and used that as a shield. can't have sex til marriage! now we're married but I'm uh... tired. they rarely have sex and it tapers off to a dead bedroom. then one day the phone or computer gets snooped and bam they've been meeting dudes off craigslist.

i think if he's reguarly sexing his gf he's at best bi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

The pedicure thing doesn’t mean anything. My brother would go get pedis with our cousin.

None of it really means anything because expression of masculine/fem traits does not have a 1:1 correlation with sexuality.