Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm finally making my first foray into the lava zone. I stopped playing before they added in the underwater river or whatever. There was some lava, but I think they got rid of that and made a new lava zone. Everyone posts all these pictures of giant bases, but I've always lived out of the cyclops. Granted, that was a lot easier when you could perpetually keep it powered because the powercell chargers used less power than they would charge. But now I have a base set up in the tunnel in the mountains leading to the lava zone with thermal power to charge my cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's where I kept my forward base. All it had was a stack of 3 multipurpose rooms on top of each other. Powered by one thermal plant in a 67C smoker. Had alien containment for food, a water reclaimer along with fabricator and chargers.

Stacking the rooms is very space efficient.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Falken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

This video really shows how different an experience the Prawn suit is to the Seamoth.

Seamoth needs something to make it stand out. > 900M Crush depth, Silent running (or some sort of active camouflage?) x2 Speed or even emergency speed for escaping Leviathans?

Hell, even a rearview camera so that Reapers can't sneak up on you would be a bonus.

"not being made of paper" would be nice. Smacking a fish at full speed can take a good 15% of your health.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sitting in chairs is great when you need to smoke a bowl

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Falken posted:

Seamoth needs something to make it stand out. > 900M Crush depth, Silent running (or some sort of active camouflage?) x2 Speed or even emergency speed for escaping Leviathans?

Hell, even a rearview camera so that Reapers can't sneak up on you would be a bonus.

I think between the seamoth defense system and full 3D movement its still the best exploration vehicle. The shock makes anything except ampeels back off and you can just avoid/outrun those.

A rearview camera would be good though, as long as it doesn't take up a precious module slot.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Falken posted:

I've often thought the seamoth needs a turbo button, or at least the sonar display from the seaglide. Press X to burn battery and go faster. That, or like, an expansion module that adds more module slots, or prebakes a few in or something.

It suffers from, mmh. Being neat and zippy when you find it, but not being able to do things 'worse' gear does; and if there's too many modules you never end up using the extras, well, something's wrong.

I think what I'd like to see is a 'super seamoth' made with lategame materials. Plasteel enameled glass. Enough crush depth to not worry about adding a depth module in, maybe a fifth expansion slot. Just an alternative to the prawn.

Basically, its good and useful, but it needs a reason to stay relevant once you get alternatives.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Falken posted:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Away all Goats posted:

I think between the seamoth defense system and full 3D movement its still the best exploration vehicle. The shock makes anything except ampeels back off and you can just avoid/outrun those.

The full 3d movement makes the Seamoth way more maneuverable than the Prawn. There's no way you're doing sick slalom's with on-a-dime 360 turns in a prawn no matter how good you are at grappling.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

This video really shows how different an experience the Prawn suit is to the Seamoth.

I had not considered a gravity crab, this have given me a lot to think about.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Goddamnit. When I drowned in that cave the other night, I didn't check how much progress I lost.

I lost my entire maiden Cyclops voyage, down to where I found an assload of ruby and quartz. I don't even have the Prawn yet again :(

HexiDave, is there any reason you can think of why your 5-minute save mod might be causing massive slowdown? Whenever it saves the game slows to a <5FPS crawl for a few seconds. I don't know how often the game saves normally but I can't say I've noticed it with that mod turned off. FWIW, the game and save directory are both on an SSD.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't think the game saves at all unless you specifically select save from the menu

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hah, didn't realize Sips played this :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Danaru posted:

I don't think the game saves at all unless you specifically select save from the menu

You're right. What I meant was there have been a few times where I rage-AltF4'd when I died in retarded ways and I'm always surprised how long it's been since I've saved :downs:

Granted the 5-minute save mod wouldn't have been an instant cure for my stuck-in-a-cave-with-the-Prawn scenario, but at least I could have abandoned the thing and come back for it later as was suggested.

e: anyway this game is still like cocaine. I also have no clue how some of you guys are on multiple runs through, I've got 20 hours on what is my first run and I've barely scratched the surface. (though I don't know if the game counts pause time as play time).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

e: anyway this game is still like cocaine. I also have no clue how some of you guys are on multiple runs through, I've got 20 hours on what is my first run and I've barely scratched the surface. (though I don't know if the game counts pause time as play time).

When it first changed to released I played it all the drat time until I had 40 saved hours and probably about 4 or so lost hours due to gently caress ups. Taken a break while doing other stuff. Getting back to it is pretty fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Hah, didn't realize Sips played this :v:

I haven't watched his channel in a while (for a reason to be named in a bit), but he usually plays every game that's popular for a bit. Then he goes back to endless videos of mind numbingly boring poo poo games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This is probably the only time someone has died to one of these.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Double checked what i think is every place the power cell charger should be and no luck.

wiki has sparse reef, then sparse reef, mushroom forest and underwater islands wrecks.

I have the nuclear reactor before i get the friggen power cell recharger.

Then what is the best way of going into and through the lost river?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Double checked what i think is every place the power cell charger should be and no luck.

wiki has sparse reef, then sparse reef, mushroom forest and underwater islands wrecks.

I have the nuclear reactor before i get the friggen power cell recharger.

Then what is the best way of going into and through the lost river?
Unfortunately, both the smug answer and the sympathetic answer are the same. "Spend more time looking".

The fragment RNG has long been an issue with the game, and adding more things to the fragment pool over time just made it worse rather than better.

My launch run I unlocked the whole cyclops in about five minutes, then took ages to find a second laser cutter fragment only to promptly discover 4 cutter fragments inside a sealed room only accessible via laser cutter, along with a massive pile of battery charger parts. One of my runs before launch I beat the plot (what was implemented at the time) without ever finding a second battery charger fragment all game. Etc.

So if you have already combed over every wiki listing, once you give them another pass just unlock the drat thing via console if the fragments are still deciding they'd rather be stuff you don't need more of. Then quit out to renable achievements.

As for the lost river, there are a few popular entry points. But the one I've been using these days is a bit of a trip to the one at the border of the Bulb/Koosh zone and the mountain biome. It's a longer drive on the surface, but it's made up for how much more convenient the tunnel route is. why, you can even manage without the cameras (mostly). Just be mindful that there is a ghost levi who spancamps the initial tunnel, and while it's wide enough for both of you the terrain proximity seems to do something to their AI to make them still want to attack my cyclops even with slow+silent running+decoy. So I just hammer the decoy button three times and pop shields if it looks like he's gonna ignore all of them again.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 2, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just ignore that guy. Drive through and then fix the few holes he caused.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got this game last week and finally finished it. I got stuck for a little bit because I never visited the Sunbeam landing site before the ship got shot down; turns out that deletes the marker so I ended up farting around to the point I built a Cyclops before I realized the mountain island was a thing.

Had a lot of fun while at it, though. I have a Rift so I played the game through entirely in VR; aside from a few niggles (awkward keypad/Cyclops touchscreen, not being able to rename beacons) it was ridiculously immersive. It took me half the first in-game day to psych myself up to actually jump into the sea; by the third day I was punting sharks clear across the reef with the prop cannon.

My time capsule has a view of the sunrise from my rocket pad, one of those adorable kitten posters, and the Prawn grappling and drill arms, thermal reactor module and jump jet booster. Would've put the cuddlefish egg in there but it didn't let me for some reason.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

I got this game last week and finally finished it. I got stuck for a little bit because I never visited the Sunbeam landing site before the ship got shot down; turns out that deletes the marker so I ended up farting around to the point I built a Cyclops before I realized the mountain island was a thing.

Had a lot of fun while at it, though. I have a Rift so I played the game through entirely in VR; aside from a few niggles (awkward keypad/Cyclops touchscreen, not being able to rename beacons) it was ridiculously immersive. It took me half the first in-game day to psych myself up to actually jump into the sea; by the third day I was punting sharks clear across the reef with the prop cannon.

My time capsule has a view of the sunrise from my rocket pad, one of those adorable kitten posters, and the Prawn grappling and drill arms, thermal reactor module and jump jet booster. Would've put the cuddlefish egg in there but it didn't let me for some reason.

i am jealous as gently caress

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

Unfortunately, both the smug answer and the sympathetic answer are the same. "Spend more time looking".

The fragment RNG has long been an issue with the game, and adding more things to the fragment pool over time just made it worse rather than better.

I kinda miss the pre-wrecks system where the fragments were just scattered all over the place, and you had to actually engage with the terrain to find things. There's still a little of that, but for example you used to comb the grassy plateaus for fragments and sandstone, while now there are just a couple of wrecks or cave entrances and the rest is mostly just empty space you can ignore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What I don't miss is the time before scanner rooms. Back when sandstone was only in the red grass area and it was impossible to tell if that tan spot was just a gap in the grass or sandstone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Man I love the Prawn so much now. Grappling across the map is just so much fun!"

*grapples through the floor and begins falling into the bottomless void*

:geno:

Fix your loving game devs

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Nah, I died to that one the first time I went in the Aurora because I didnt know what to do. Lesson learned quickly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

about the scanner room, the wiki says that fully upgraded, it has a range of 450 meters; is this the scanning radius or diameter?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

"Man I love the Prawn so much now. Grappling across the map is just so much fun!"

*grapples through the floor and begins falling into the bottomless void*

:geno:

Fix your loving game devs

Please, EVERYONE knows our players would rather we move on to working on the expansion rather than spend another six months fixing bugs older than a year :smug:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Oh by the way, here's every time capsule you can vote on (not all of them are uploaded it seems) and their respective id

Capsules in other languages got a little fubar during export because utf-8 and python aren't the best friends.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Oh by the way, here's every time capsule you can vote on (not all of them are uploaded it seems) and their respective id

Capsules in other languages got a little fubar during export because utf-8 and python aren't the best friends.

I expected it'd be quite likely to get ion batteries, heat blades, and Kyanite, but I didn't think so many would donate habitat builders.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

I expected it'd be quite likely to get ion batteries, heat blades, and Kyanite, but I didn't think so many would donate habitat builders.

I would say that would be the best thing to donate, but by the time I found a time capsule, I had already made my habitat builder.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

When would you expect someone to get a timecapsule? Everyone on the official boards whines about people putting in overpowered stuff (not that anything is going to get through the voting queue the way it's set up anyway), but I only got one and I was well past the midpoint. I got a rebreather which is not bad, but I already had one. A heatblade or habitat builder would be really nice if you don't have them, but you get them pretty early.

double nine posted:

about the scanner room, the wiki says that fully upgraded, it has a range of 450 meters; is this the scanning radius or diameter?
It's radius.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Section Z posted:

As for the lost river, there are a few popular entry points. But the one I've been using these days is a bit of a trip to the one at the border of the Bulb/Koosh zone and the mountain biome. It's a longer drive on the surface, but it's made up for how much more convenient the tunnel route is. why, you can even manage without the cameras (mostly). Just be mindful that there is a ghost levi who spancamps the initial tunnel, and while it's wide enough for both of you the terrain proximity seems to do something to their AI to make them still want to attack my cyclops even with slow+silent running+decoy. So I just hammer the decoy button three times and pop shields if it looks like he's gonna ignore all of them again.

It's funny, I just went there tonight for the first time. Snuck by the guy in my Prawn to check out the nearby facility but on my way out I aggroed him on the sub and he nearly wrecked it. Jumped back out in my Prawn and rode him with the grappling hook until he disappeared into the cave ceiling, never to return. That was sort of anti-climactic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The PDA said the dragon guy is super dangerous and I should steer clear of him. He seemed pretty chill to me. He would show up while I'm in my prawn and make some noises. Then he shoots fire at some fish nerds that were bothering me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The only dangerous enemy in the game are crashfish - purely because they're so unnoticeable when you're not paying attention. Every other big bad is either so big to easily avoid or just easily dodged whenever they try to attack.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Zomborgon posted:

It's kind of a shame. Things like cpus, advanced wiring kits, platsteel ingots, stuff like that are infinitely useful regardless on what point you are in the game and yet barely anyone includes it.

TBH, the data seems more like they got into the rocket , told they had to stuff things in the capsule, so they put what they had at that point in time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nullEntityRNG posted:

It's kind of a shame. Things like cpus, advanced wiring kits, platsteel ingots, stuff like that are infinitely useful regardless on what point you are in the game and yet barely anyone includes it.

TBH, the data seems more like they got into the rocket , told they had to stuff things in the capsule, so they put what they had at that point in time.

I put in a sea crown seed and my prawn's jumpjet module. They really don't give you much room to put fun stuff in.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I found one with a seaglide in it. Thought it was a cute idea, but I found it near Keen's pod. Something like 300 meters down.

Oh, and I put an ion cell in mine, too, because gently caress that one selfentitled nerd bitching about them. By the time you can make them you're pretty much done with the game anyhow.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Cojawfee posted:

The PDA said the dragon guy is super dangerous and I should steer clear of him. He seemed pretty chill to me. He would show up while I'm in my prawn and make some noises. Then he shoots fire at some fish nerds that were bothering me.

I was drilling some kyanite and he used me as a chew toy :mad:

I survived but holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The prawn doesn't seem to care about taking a stalker ride. The stalker doesn't seem to care about taking a drill and a bunch of punches to the face.