Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just find it amazing that that dude genuinely seems to believe that the only leftist faction down with violence is Literal Stalin Lovers. Like, even if you wanna go for 'it's the radical fringe of the radical movements' thing, where's my Chairman Bob lead radical Maoist clear the streets revolutionary guard? Where's my bonkers Hotep Nation hotep/white nationalist alliance fighting for the ethnostate for both groups (and then planning to kill the other because they're inferior subhumans draining the soul of the world)? Where's the loving ALF losers who's main objection to the fascist government is their death wagons use leather seats so they bomb garages?

There's a lot of loving insane leftist fringe to use if the story is fringe groups in a tense and unorganized alliance! This isn't even going into the core problem of 'uh where's the faction for normal people who don't like fascism and would like to not be murdered in the streets' like trade unionists and blm and all. Even in his stupid limited scope he's absolutely failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A game about a tankie, a trotskyist, Eric Killmonger, an anarchist, a demsoc and a socdem trying to pull off a revolutionary action sounds like an interesting Fiasco playset

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

A game about a tankie, a trotskyist, Eric Killmonger, an anarchist, a demsoc and a socdem trying to pull off a revolutionary action sounds like an interesting Fiasco playset

I'm pretty sure we can find all of those things right here, so get a recruitment thread together already!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
My solution would be to pick one of the factions at the start of the game and make them the Regime (so it's not a beige shell with Fascist written on it), which at least lets you try to find a way that the other right-wing factions might join wither others to stop this group becoming overly powerful.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
My final solution is to replace the regime with Donald Trump, as the players work together to bring him down by exposing his connections to the Kremlin and aid Hillary Rodham Clinton in ascending to her rightful place as the first female President of the United States of America.

Admittedly, I've never done any game design before, but I'm certain the premise alone will make me a good amount of money on kickstarter, before I flee to Central America.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

With all due respect if you had misgivings from the start I'm not sure why you decided to throw your money at it anyway instead of simply waiting to see if it funded, and then if it somehow magically turned out good picking it up after it was released.

I backed it early on, before it became evident how much of a shitshow it is. Then I decided to drop my pledge. And then I forgot to drop my pledge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's almost the plot of District 13: Ultimatum. Not the specific groups, but the whole movie is about a group of disparate criminal factions teaming up with a rogue cop to Fight The Man.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I really want to be interested in Hack the Planet, but I've got HUGE reservations after The Veil, which felt incredibly narrow in available character concepts, and directionless past 'explore the plotlines these playbooks are about', and straight-up lifted moves wholesale from other PBTA games without a whole lot of consideration for why the Child-Thing and the future cultist on the run get the same hideout.

Looking at Hack the Planet's list of crews, I have a similar worry about the level of narrow specificity and the author transplanting other books' mechanics into this (Like, the crews being a motorcycle gang, stormchasers, airship-based scavengers, and then apparently just Hawkers and Bravos from BitD).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nuns with Guns posted:

He also describes the game as "cyberpunk" and I'm not sure those two hooks work well together.

Dial-up Modempunk or Pagerpunk?

This is all kind of hilarious. It's also clear that "the regime" is only politically neutral if the observer is standing in the dead center of an alt/right-wing media bubble.

From there, the "left" says gays just shouldn't be allowed wedding cake and PDA, and the rightmost voices all but say they should be murdered. So the compromise position of treating them like second class citizens seems "neutral."

Time to burn down America and start over.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

gradenko_2000 posted:

So, like a cyberpunk version of the Red Front playlist? I'd be down.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So are there any Kickstarters up right now that don't look like poo poo? I try to follow this thread but it's about 100% complaining (rightfully) about awful games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

OgreNoah posted:

So are there any Kickstarters up right now that don't look like poo poo? I try to follow this thread but it's about 100% complaining (rightfully) about awful games.
Summerland looks dope. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2120854352/summerland-tabletop-rpg-second-edition

Also, there is a Batman minis game that's making millions of dollars, if you like Batman and want minis.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

We need three different right-wing factions and only one leftist one. That is a proper and correct accounting of those who would resist.

Yeah, and the leftists are Tankies.

I am deeply disappointed.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doc Aquatic posted:

I really want to be interested in Hack the Planet, but I've got HUGE reservations after The Veil, which felt incredibly narrow in available character concepts, and directionless past 'explore the plotlines these playbooks are about', and straight-up lifted moves wholesale from other PBTA games without a whole lot of consideration for why the Child-Thing and the future cultist on the run get the same hideout.

Looking at Hack the Planet's list of crews, I have a similar worry about the level of narrow specificity and the author transplanting other books' mechanics into this (Like, the crews being a motorcycle gang, stormchasers, airship-based scavengers, and then apparently just Hawkers and Bravos from BitD).

I am pretty interested in it. Simons has a pretty strong vision of the future that this game takes place in that I haven't seen often in tabletop games. The art is a bit meh and The Veil was only half-appealing but I can see some promising stuff in this one. The crews in particular have some interesting aspects to them. I'm into exploring the themes and issues raised by the playbooks/crews in most Blades hacks, so rather than try to fit my concept into them, I'm interested in seeing if the playable options on offer are interesting to me on their own terms. I'm particularly interested in the Shifters, and the Comets seem interesting too.

And one thing I've noticed about Blades hacks, both from reading a bunch of them and working on mine, is that you don't fix what ain't broken. Lots of moves from the core playbooks/crews pop up in similar analogues in various hacks because the core stuff is incredibly solidly written and interesting. So in this case, I feel that the Hawkers/Bravos fit perfectly into the world as presented because they're kinda easy to adapt to a lot of settings.

It does suck that the art seems really derivative and... not good? Like the art doesn't sell me on the world, but the actual writing does. Its a shame that the art doesn't do a better job of conveying the mood of the game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

OgreNoah posted:

Updates every Sunday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/8061ef/kickstarter_roundup_feb_25_2018_51_ending_soon/

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

moths posted:

Dial-up Modempunk or Pagerpunk?

Hamradiopunk.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

alg posted:

This Kickstarter is locking it's content away in the cloud via subscription

https://necromech.com/vision/

NecroMech Tabletop Role-playing Game, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/necromech/necromech-tabletop-role-playing-game

They have a LinkedIn group lol

Edit wow

Moving this over to the KS thread.

Also, has "launch a transmedia phenomenon based on an TRPG" ever really worked? I mean, yes, there has been crossover between TRPGs and other media, but has it ever really worked when that's the declared opening intent? It always strikes me as putting the cart before the horse, because if you're going to try and snowball a multimedia franchise, launching a TRPG is like the smallest starting audience you could get outside of making it a model train line.

Also, reading up on Dieselpunk on wikipedia, it's one of the most nonsensical definitions I've seen for a genre. I mean, I'm inclined to be skeptical of anything that uses the lazy -punk genre compound, but it seems to be "anything that calls back to World War II or is maybe pulp or maybe involves cars or something and has bad lighting maybe", and you get some outright TV tropes-level nonsense like:

Wikipedia posted:

The neo-noir movie Blade Runner (1982), though widely labeled as cyberpunk, may also be described as dieselpunk due its strong element of decadence.

Wikipedia posted:

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), whose imagery has been described as having a "dieselpunk quality".

:rolleyes:

Serf
May 5, 2011

dieselpunk is one of those things where you immediately know what it is but you can't think of any one thing that you would use as an example of it. its a made-up aesthetic cobbled together from random drawings found on the internet that people are trying to make into a coherent genre

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Whoa, if decadence and fancifulness are criteria here then Deus Ex: HR and Hunger Games must be dieselpunk as all hell.
Live and learn, I guess.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Isn't it basically just the Crimson Skies aesthetic?

E:

wikipedia posted:

Crimson Skies is an example of the dieselpunkgenre,[3][4][5][6] though it predated the genre name.

:thunk:

moths fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 2, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is dieselpunk just not Mad Max and maybe 40k Orks?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In the meantime, I will continue to push my genre innovation of Electropunk, which is is based on my game setting where the world becomes dependent on alternating current. In it, an overclass uses the control and wealth of the dangerous industries that produce this fanciful energy to manipulate the underclasses and claim power. The world's superpowers become dominated by a decadent, neo-fascist elite that unites in the interest of undermining and crushing dissent to their rule.

I'm aiming for something a lot more realistic and grim than the other -punk genres and I think I'm on to something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Also, there is a Batman minis game that's making millions of dollars, if you like Batman and want minis.
No Kite-Man, no deal. :colbert:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

No Kite-Man, no deal. :colbert:
Hell yeah

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Until they add Kite-Man, they can go fly a kite!

Henker
May 5, 2009

For me, dieselpunk is 1920s-1940s speculative fiction with the weird rear end technology cranked up to 11. So yeah, Crimson Skies or Nazis with jetpacks and laser beams. There's no way in hell Blade Runner is dieselpunk.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Henker posted:

For me, dieselpunk is 1920s-1940s speculative fiction with the weird rear end technology cranked up to 11. So yeah, Crimson Skies or Nazis with jetpacks and laser beams. There's no way in hell Blade Runner is dieselpunk.

That's already a thing! It's called retro-futurism.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dieselpunk is just Steampunk but instead of those two nerds who insist on living like it's Victorian Times it's people who go to Rockabilly shows.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Side note, I am fuckin' sick of Nazis with jet packs and lasers. Those guys were not super good at science, were not super advanced, were not the geniuses we keep saying they were whenever we give them the supertech.

Serf
May 5, 2011

tired: nazis with jet packs and lasers
wired: nazis being shot by people with jet packs and lasers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dwarf74 posted:

This is run by the Monolith guys who made the Conan game and it's 100% Kickstarter exclusive after they lost a shitload of money trying to bring their Conan game to retail because, as everyone said when the KS was running, making half or more of your game's content KS exclusive means that nobody wants to buy the "partial" version at the store.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is run by the Monolith guys who made the Conan game and it's 100% Kickstarter exclusive after they lost a shitload of money trying to bring their Conan game to retail because, as everyone said when the KS was running, making half or more of your game's content KS exclusive means that nobody wants to buy the "partial" version at the store.

It's also 100% Conan but with Batman.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

It's also 100% Conan but with Batman.

More like 80-90%, as they did add some more thematic stuff that fits the super hero setting like use of technology and stuff. But it's built on the same engine, yeah.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Moving this over to the KS thread.

Also, has "launch a transmedia phenomenon based on an TRPG" ever really worked? I mean, yes, there has been crossover between TRPGs and other media, but has it ever really worked when that's the declared opening intent? It always strikes me as putting the cart before the horse, because if you're going to try and snowball a multimedia franchise, launching a TRPG is like the smallest starting audience you could get outside of making it a model train line.

I’d much rather see an rpg that was the focus of a gesamtkunstwerk. Like the package comes with with a soundtrack, and candles/incense and adjustable color lightbulbs.

Wait, am I describing Invisible Sun?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DalaranJ posted:

I’d much rather see an rpg that was the focus of a gesamtkunstwerk. Like the package comes with with a soundtrack, and candles/incense and adjustable color lightbulbs.

There is at least one company that does D&D-themed scented candles, if anyone's looking to add that sort of element to their next Kickstarter.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Side note, I am fuckin' sick of Nazis with jet packs and lasers. Those guys were not super good at science, were not super advanced, were not the geniuses we keep saying they were whenever we give them the supertech.

You can take Hellboy's aesthetic from my cold, dead, hands

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

potatocubed posted:

There is at least one company that does D&D-themed scented candles, if anyone's looking to add that sort of element to their next Kickstarter.

You realize, like, physical feelies are the worst idea? Look at how much money was lost on t-shirts.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

potatocubed posted:

I think it was a Kickstarter too

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
broke: Cyberpunk
woke: Orgonepunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Similarly, I burned out on the "Super-Nazi" thing over a decade ago thanks to its overuse in superhero RPGs. It's true that the Nazis inherited a great period for higher education and scientific discovery in Germany, but they also undercut it deeply by persecuting scientists or political and racial reasons, heavily politicizing science, etc. It's true that Germany might have developed atomic science in the '40s... were it not for the Nazis themselves. The presence of the Nazis was a powerful blow against German science.

The ethos of the Nazis was inherently anti-scientific. Though they could recognize its benefits, they were ultimately a cult of broken ideas.