Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

movax posted:

XPS 13 is legit so far. Ordered a PM981 500GB to put in; forgot the 850 EVO I have is SATA, not NVMe. QHD screen is gorgeous.

What ssd did it come with? My 13 2in 1 doesn't max out the oem stock 960 Evo it came with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had an engineer quit and he turned in his laptop, T540p.

Taking a quick check of the system, that loving touchpad :smithicide:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Nobody answered my previous question but gently caress it, here’s another. Dell Inspiron 15 7577 vs Dell XPS 15 9565: which should I choose? Primarily for graphic design work and less-than-extreme gaming, and it would be on my lap more than a table or desk.

They’ve got the same i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD, but the 7577 has a 1060 Max-Q, a UHD screen*, and a 1TB HDD. Plus it’s cheaper at the moment** and easier to upgrade in the future. The XPS on the other hand has a better battery and looks way nicer. I like the tiny bevel, the palm rest looks and feels nice, and it’s so thin and light. I’m not sure I actually NEED the additional power, a 1050 might do me just fine. And if I’m patient I assume I’ll save some money with a sale. So I just keep bouncing back and forth between my choices.

*Dropping to a full HD screen would also require dropping to a 256GB SSD for some reason, and only save me $75.
**Only until Monday

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Being what seems like the thread's resident 7577 evangelist, normally, I'd answer your question, but I have no idea what kind of demands Photoshop puts on GPUs these days, and cannot therefore give you an answer to your specific question.

I think the 4K screen on the higher-end configurations of the laptop is a trap, and that if you need 4K, you're better off plugging in a proper 4K monitor with all of the dimensional real estate that also entails. The 1080p IPS screen is tolerable, but it's only something like 67% Adobe sRGB, which is a strike against it in those regards.

I do not know what your workload is like, and therefore cannot tell you if that 1060 is going to be enough, or if you need something bigger, or if you can get away with less. Sorry.

The best that I can do for you is tell you that the 7577's cooling (while a bit noisy at the top end) is capable of cooling the 1060 Max-Q so well that the 1060 Max-Q clocks up to non-Max-Q turbos.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 3, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doesn't everyone say the FHD panel on the 7577 is very disappointing, and it's the 4K one that gets the good reviews for looking decent? Better colours and contrast etc

The 1050 will game fine, you'll just have to run some stuff at high or medium - the 1060 is abouuut twice as powerful, so you should be able to play pretty much anything without worrying about it. The trade off is a bigger, heavier machine with less battery life and a worse screen. It depends what your personal priorities are honestly

Oh fingerprint readers are real nice, I'm guessing the XPS doesn't have one (for an option it sure seems rare to find it offered). Also I like 4K, everything just looks so nice :shobon: and it might help for being able to edit larger images at 100%

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 3, 2018

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Well you don't want the 7577s 1080p screen for design work, the color accuracy isn't that great. If it's 4k screen is the same as the XPS 4k screen the it comes down to the size difference and the 1060 vs the 1050. I don't think the GPU difference will matter much for the design work so check out the gaming performance of each card and make you decision on that. The XPS is a more premium machine so if you can deal with the 1050 I'd go with that. I will say I do really like my 7577 but it's just a gaming machine for me.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Thanks y’all. Can anybody speak to how comfortable the two are to have in your lap? I’m not THAT concerned about the weight, more about the pointy corner on the 7577 and possible heat/airflow issues on the 9560.

runchild fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 3, 2018

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I've never had a problem with the pointy corner.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I dunno about the 2-in-1 (that's what you were looking at, right?) but the 9560 is pretty comfy. The bezels are tiny so it's about as small a footprint as you're getting with a 15", and mine only gets hot when I Play A Game. Mostly the fan only bothers to run at shhhhh level if at all

When you're gaming it can run pretty hot, with the CPU and GPU both cranked. I haven't done that on my lap but it's never felt hot on the keyboard, and the metal body should help draw heat away on the bottom. I'll check it later if it helps. But the fans do ramp up and the internal temperatures creep up, if you use a utility to look at them

Apparently it's a common issue for the XPS to have crappy paste jobs on the CPU, letting the temperatures get higher than they need to (no idea if it's the same with the 7577). People recommend repasting it if you're comfortable, but I ain't doing that, so I undervolted it instead (which is dead easy and harmless, reduces excess power and knocked 10 degrees C off the temps). You don't need to do this at all, but if you're worried and you want to run it cooler and quieter, it's something simple you can do. But yeah, it's a compact machine so it doesn't have as much cooling potential, but in general use it's not an issue

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The 9560 is a great laptop and the 1080p screen looks good, colors are nice, but it does have a bit of ghosting if that bothers you. I’ve gotten used to it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
7577's pointy corner is not a problem. 7567 did that, but the 7577 is a wider chassis overall.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I’ve pulled the trigger on the 7577. More power, more future-proof, less money. Thanks for all your input, everybody.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bob Morales posted:

We had an engineer quit and he turned in his laptop, T540p.

Taking a quick check of the system, that loving touchpad :smithicide:

Because of the lack of physical buttons or the trackpad itself? I think I used the pad on my x230 about 10 times in 5 years it was so inaccurate.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

knox_harrington posted:

Because of the lack of physical buttons or the trackpad itself? I think I used the pad on my x230 about 10 times in 5 years it was so inaccurate.

Both. Terrible tracksd plus when you click it the whole thing moves including the cursor

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

runchild posted:

$1,450 Certified Refurbished
$1,233 (12% off sale until the 5th)
$1,082

Where'd you find this price?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so the op hasnt been updated in like a year. I have a budget of ~1300 for a laptop could be more, would like less. whats a good gaming laptop in that range?

runchild
May 26, 2010

eighty-four merc posted:

Where'd you find this price?

Dell Outlet. There’s a deal for 12% off Inspiron laptops, but it’s a code you use at checkout so you have to do the math yourself until then. Some pages say the code is 12InspL but others say 12%Insp. Also it expires at 11:59 PM EST tomorrow.

I think I bought the only one in stock with that specific configuration though, sorry.

Ramadu posted:

so the op hasnt been updated in like a year. I have a budget of ~1300 for a laptop could be more, would like less. whats a good gaming laptop in that range?

The majority of the stuff I read while searching recommended the Dell Inspiron 15 7577 as the best affordable gaming laptop.

runchild fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 4, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think the 4K screen on the higher-end configurations of the laptop is a trap, and that if you need 4K, you're better off plugging in a proper 4K monitor with all of the dimensional real estate that also entails.
Why do you say this? I know some Windows applications still scale rather poorly, but for those that work properly the higher resolution is really nice.

Also general 7577 question, I've been eyeing the Latitude 7520 because I wanted to avoid having a GPU and have a removable battery, but the 7577s are just so much easier to find in configs close to what I'd like at a reasonable price, especially when looking at the Outlet.

Is the GPU on the 7577 wired to the HDMI port properly to support VR? How does the performance hold up? I don't really want a GPU, but if I'm going to have one it'd be really nice if I didn't have to drag my desktop around when I want to show someone VR.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't forget: If the laptop comes with a Thunderbolt Port, an External GPU enclosure is always an option if your device supports it

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2018/

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Don't forget: If the laptop comes with a Thunderbolt Port, an External GPU enclosure is always an option if your device supports it

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2018/

thanks for posting that site. I'm still in a bit of disbelief that external GPUs exist and work. I played with one at Microcenter the other day and it worked like a charm.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What is the smallest (thinnest I mean) laptop I can get with 16gb of RAM with a comparable price to a Macbook Pro? My priorities are decent display + 16gb of RAM but I don't really see anything wow'ing me into buying it as opposed to the next Macbook Pro (assuming nothing glaringly regressive about it) with 16gb of RAM. I'm asking for RAM because IntelliJ + compiling.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What is the smallest (thinnest I mean) laptop I can get with 16gb of RAM? My priorities are decent display + 16gb of RAM but I don't really see anything wow'ing me into buying it as opposed to a MBP with 16gb of RAM. I'm asking for RAM because IntelliJ + compiling.

My first thought is an XPS 13, which i'm trying really hard to justify buying for myself

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Careful Drums posted:

My first thought is an XPS 13, which i'm trying really hard to justify buying for myself

Unless on sale, wouldn't one with 16gb be similarly priced to a Macbook Pro?

Mainly I want to explore my options. I'm looking to do engineering side-projects so I can either do OSX or Windows + VM, neither of which matter to me as much as a nice, small form factor with 16gb. Apple hardware just feels nicer to me at this point than anything I've seen, with the exception of the new Surface which has nice material but gets costly for 16gb.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The new thinkpad carbon with the 4k screen option?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What is the smallest (thinnest I mean) laptop I can get with 16gb of RAM with a comparable price to a Macbook Pro? My priorities are decent display + 16gb of RAM but I don't really see anything wow'ing me into buying it as opposed to the next Macbook Pro (assuming nothing glaringly regressive about it) with 16gb of RAM. I'm asking for RAM because IntelliJ + compiling.

Do you want a 15" or 13"? You might want to wait for the 6-core laptops for that workload, especially if you're looking for a 13" machine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If you're after value in ultrabooks, look at the HP Spectre line. They're usually cheaper than comparable Macbooks / Dells, especially at top spec.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mainly I want to explore my options. I'm looking to do engineering side-projects so I can either do OSX or Windows + VM, neither of which matter to me as much as a nice, small form factor with 16gb. Apple hardware just feels nicer to me at this point than anything I've seen, with the exception of the new Surface which has nice material but gets costly for 16gb.

:colbert: Dell Precision 7510.

Or the 5000 series if you want thin and light with guts.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 5, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
13" for sure. The Spectre looks... quite nice actually?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Patiently waiting for my decked out HP Omen X. :homebrew:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Between the awful glossy screens and acquired taste keyboard I wouldn't say Apple hardware is particularly nice these days.

Remember they're a gen back at the moment so no quad cores in the 13"

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Keyboard doesn't bother me too much and glossy is less of an issue for my usages, sure it's still bad but not as bad as if I was forced to use it in an office, but yeah the chip they choose to put into the refresh is what I'm waiting to make a decision on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Keyboard doesn't bother me too much and glossy is less of an issue for my usages, sure it's still bad but not as bad as if I was forced to use it in an office, but yeah the chip they choose to put into the refresh is what I'm waiting to make a decision on.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...SzmuDWP5uOpeHfz

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
^That's cool.

Form factor on this is also gorgeous. Specs and price are nice too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

^That's cool.

Form factor on this is also gorgeous. Specs and price are nice too.

The Dell has a Quadro dedicated GPU, the HP only has the integrated Intel.

Also: The Dell has upgradeable RAM (up to 32GB) , the x360 is soldered to the board. So really, the only advantage the HP has is the flip screen.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CommieGIR posted:

The Dell has a Quadro dedicated GPU, the HP only has the integrated Intel.

Also: The Dell has upgradeable RAM (up to 32GB) , the x360 is soldered to the board. So really, the only advantage the HP has is the flip screen.

I'm looking for a smaller screen, tbh. I have a 15" laptop for work and it sorta sucks to use on the couch and in bed, which is primarily the use I'll have for this one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm looking for a smaller screen, tbh. I have a 15" laptop for work and it sorta sucks to use on the couch and in bed, which is primarily the use I'll have for this one.

Ah, fair enough.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have a 16gb xps13 with the 8550 ama

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Really, you might consider the Thinkpad x1 Carbon gen 6 with the 4k screen after the price drops in a couple weeks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want a gen 6 but my gen 5 is perfectly fine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I need to get a new programming laptop. I have been programming on mac's forever and I really really prefer it. But the new macbook pro's loving suck. gently caress touchbars. gently caress no USB-A ports. And gently caress that pricing. Is there any alternatives on the market or if I like macbook programming, short of buying an older macbook pro, am I screwed?