Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Rhjamiz posted:

So I got to Heaven Sward officially, and I agree with that previous poster; burn Ul'dah to the ground. Also a poor showing from the WoL/Lord of Murder. Like I'd let some thugs arrest me.

But I'd like to also add; let's burn down Ishgard, too. I'm pretty sure they started this ever-war with the Dravanians. I want to side with the dragons.

Edit; also I hear that DRKs are the weakest tanks. I assume they are still fun and capable, just not Raid Optimal or some nonsense?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The world's first on a recent raid used DRK, don't worry about which job you are.

Enjoy Heavensward :)

Meanwhile I hadn't realised I had past the point to unlock Void Ark, so I guess I know what I'm doing today.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The world's first on a recent raid used DKN, don't worry about which job you are.

Enjoy Heavensward :)

I will! I've got a lot murdering to do.

I've just become paranoid now after playing mmos with goons and discovering that I seem to gravitate to the more conceptually cool but mechanically lackluster classes. Magus from WAR comes to mind. :saddowns:

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Drks are fine at 70, they just take a hit when synced down between 50-70 because their on demand mitigation is a 70 ability.

On the other hand, they get most of their dps suite early so it's way less jarring compared to war/pld to get synced to 50.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

Edit; also I hear that DRKs are the weakest tanks. I assume they are still fun and capable, just not Raid Optimal or some nonsense?

Correct. Dark Knights kit is entirely functional, it just doesn't offer anything that the other two tanks don't already do better for the higher difficulty raids.

That said, Dark Knight is extremely good for dungeons because it just craps out loads of area damage on large packs of enemies.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

All Jobs Are Good.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Skaw posted:

That said, Dark Knight is extremely good for dungeons because it just craps out loads of area damage on large packs of enemies.
I like the sound of that. That's my major gripe with Dragoon; My aoe feels ineffectual. Granted I don't have the second half yet. But I figure it doesn't hurt to diversify my roles

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Rhjamiz posted:

I will! I've got a lot murdering to do.

I've just become paranoid now after playing mmos with goons and discovering that I seem to gravitate to the more conceptually cool but mechanically lackluster classes. Magus from WAR comes to mind. :saddowns:

High five fellow former-Magus player. That's what I love about FF14, you can play anything you want on a single character and levelling up secondary jobs is quick and easy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vadoc posted:

High five fellow former-Magus player. That's what I love about FF14, you can play anything you want on a single character and levelling up secondary jobs is quick and easy.

It's pretty great but oh god does it ever just tug at the completionist in me. I want to level everything almost just for the sake of doing it.

I'm currently working on purging the filthy class icons from my character's menus by getting everything up to 30 and turned into Jobs. Squadron dungeons are a blessing, but I think I actually like Halatali less then Thousand Maws for how the NPCs behave.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Oxyclean posted:

It's pretty great but oh god does it ever just tug at the completionist in me. I want to level everything almost just for the sake of doing it.

I'm currently working on purging the filthy class icons from my character's menus by getting everything up to 30 and turned into Jobs. Squadron dungeons are a blessing, but I think I actually like Halatali less then Thousand Maws for how the NPCs behave.

Yeeeaaahh Halatali is not fun with a squadron

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeeeaaahh Halatali is not fun

Fixed that for you. Really a bunch of the ARR dungeons are poo poo due to being reworked areas from 1.0.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All combat jobs are good.

All crafter jobs are good.

Many gatherer jobs are good. The majority even.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Last night during O7S my finger slipped and I accidentally hit the key next to my Surecast bind.

This is how I was reminded that Tether is a skill that Red Mage has.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pretty sure Halatali is not a reworked 1.0 dungeon.

While Tam-Tara shares a name with a 1.0 open world dungeon area, it's a completely different place. The only places that are retooled from 1.0 assets are, IIRC< Toto-Rak, Cutter's Cry, Dzemael Darkhold, and Aurum Vale.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Many gatherer jobs are good. The majority even.

It's only a majority if Fisher counts for 3, somehow. Kind of a stretch

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Argas posted:

Pretty sure Halatali is not a reworked 1.0 dungeon.

While Tam-Tara shares a name with a 1.0 open world dungeon area, it's a completely different place. The only places that are retooled from 1.0 assets are, IIRC< Toto-Rak, Cutter's Cry, Dzemael Darkhold, and Aurum Vale.

And all 4 of those are bad.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a place to see what all this stuff looked like/ how bad it was in 1.0? I'm mildly curious, it sounds like an entirely diff game.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Rhjamiz posted:

Is there a place to see what all this stuff looked like/ how bad it was in 1.0? I'm mildly curious, it sounds like an entirely diff game.

YouTube is probably your best bet to find old 1.x stuff.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rhjamiz posted:

1.0 for sure was almost a completely different game. 1.23, when the servers finally went down, somewhat resembles 2.0 and beyond.

The Fall and Rise of FFXIV series by Speakers Network is a decent overview of the development of XIV, not necessarily of the content of the game itself. Remnants of a Realm is a bit closer to what you're asking for, but together they're a good, rounded package of what FFXIV used to be.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhjamiz posted:

This guy goes over a lot of it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL5QTV3Hk60a35tst7sZDqhGpJXX3pviN

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Rhjamiz posted:

The world first group for the hardest content last patch (probably still hardest content, just not newest) had a DRK and his answer as to why was "Cause it's fun."

Jobs are super close in balance and outside of Dunning-Kruger pubbies who think you need 100% optimal classes despite never stepping foot in savage content, everything is viable.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Just watched a fellow Dragoon in O6N fail every single mechanic. I don't mean fail them each once, I mean fail them every time. I get that you're new, guy, but if the other 7 players are standing behind a rock, maybe you should join them?

Almost makes me want to switch main to Samurai out of second-hand job embarrassment.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You only have like 40 seconds to get behind that rock it's very tricky.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Staring at your bars too much is a deadly disease that affects many innocent DPS players. Please donate to my foundation.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rhjamiz posted:

So I got to Heaven Sward officially, and I agree with that previous poster; burn Ul'dah to the ground. Also a poor showing from the WoL/Lord of Murder. Like I'd let some thugs arrest me.

But I'd like to also add; let's burn down Ishgard, too. I'm pretty sure they started this ever-war with the Dravanians. I want to side with the dragons.

the dragons are insane psycho morons who continue a war off of a slight over a thousand years ago, because they all have brain parasites.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Just watched a fellow Dragoon in O6N fail every single mechanic. I don't mean fail them each once, I mean fail them every time. I get that you're new, guy, but if the other 7 players are standing behind a rock, maybe you should join them?

Almost makes me want to switch main to Samurai out of second-hand job embarrassment.

The water wave won't kill me, so Arm's Length, Bloodbath and Second Wind will see me through to victory :colbert:

You can also survive the demon stone thing that chases you if a healer baby sits you in O6N

Countblanc posted:

the dragons are insane psycho morons who continue a war off of a slight over a thousand years ago, because they all have brain parasites.

Nidhogg was right, his execution was just flawed

slev
Apr 6, 2009

troofs posted:

Staring at your bars too much is a deadly disease that affects many innocent DPS players. Please donate to my foundation.

I got through o6s as dps by basically staring at my bars

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bolow posted:

Nidhogg was right, his execution was just flawed

Nidhogg Did Nothing Wrong

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

slev posted:

I got through o6s as dps by basically staring at my bars

On DPS, yeah, the entirety of that fight is “move over here, now over there, BACK TO HERE QUICK — okay you’re good”

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I want to be a sky pirate

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Nidhogg went a bit far, but at the same time I don't really blame him, or Hraesvelgr for not wanting to intervene.

Ishgard's founders hosed up hard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oxyclean posted:

Any boss fight with more than four enemies is hell with a Squadron tank.

Look forward to Copperbell Hard. :shepicide:

Dr Snofeld posted:

Someone has to keep the memes alive.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I want to be a sky pirate

Settle down, Vaan.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 2, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I've been disrespecting the gently caress out of the crafting content leveling CRP.

If my math is right it only takes at most 90 Leves to go from 15-60 if you HQ everything. Not factoring in doing quests for those fluffy white assholes or Zhloe.

That's surprisingly pretty ok?

If you can find some bored goon to make the poo poo for you it'll probably run you less than 1m per DoH job to do it as well

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Countblanc posted:

Perhaps everyone is poo poo and corrupt and everyone should die in agony. signed, Kefka

The dragons' perspective made sense when you considered they had unlimited lifespans, and presumably may have predated other settlement in Eorzea. Nidhogg had gone around the bend but his perception was not the same as that of mortals as we understand them. I wonder why the Ascians never talked to them much?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nessus posted:

Perhaps everyone is poo poo and corrupt and everyone should die in agony. signed, Kefka

The dragons' perspective made sense when you considered they had unlimited lifespans, and presumably may have predated other settlement in Eorzea. Nidhogg had gone around the bend but his perception was not the same as that of mortals as we understand them. I wonder why the Ascians never talked to them much?

They did talk to dragons. Tiamat talks about how she regrets summoning a pale imitation of the real Bahamut.

As for why they didn't talk to Nidhogg's brood specifically, I assume Tiamat told her siblings how she got hosed over. Lot harder to forget "the cackling guys in dark robes and stupid masks are Bad News" when you're nigh-on immortal.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If only they weren't cackling demons they may be more successful.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I bet the Ascians would have an easier time of tricking people if that spooky music didn't play everywhere they went.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

I bet the Ascians would have an easier time of tricking people if that spooky music didn't play everywhere they went.

But then what's the point of being a spooky bad guy?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Squadron Copperbell HM was merely annoying. Pharos Sirius as a DPS with a squadron was rage enducing because of how bad the AI is at handling the first two bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

World War Mammories posted:

They did talk to dragons. Tiamat talks about how she regrets summoning a pale imitation of the real Bahamut.

As for why they didn't talk to Nidhogg's brood specifically, I assume Tiamat told her siblings how she got hosed over. Lot harder to forget "the cackling guys in dark robes and stupid masks are Bad News" when you're nigh-on immortal.
I'm sure at least one Ascian got eaten by Nidhogg.