Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midexlain
Apr 1, 2014
I'm gonna post the final fantasy xv omen trailer.

https://youtu.be/SZymd6r4wGg

That is the only explicitly real surviving remnant of the original plot for Final Fantasy Versus XIII which they contained it as only the king's foreboding dream. Noctis kills Stella (the original lunafreya). This game is just a huge bandaid for when square enix forced Nomura to leave for Kingdom Hearts III and the VII remake.The b-team essentially masked the original story with this non-existent, mere semblance of a plot that exists just to qualify XV as a single-player game. There's more emotional investment in this trailer than the whole game I'm sorry to say. You hit the nail on the head since that Leviathan cutscene on showing how absurd this game is at displaying absolutely no sense of emotional coherence whatsoever.

Also I view the dog as going into Noctis's memories rather than time travel because nothing you do by going to the past will affect the outcome of the present story-wise. There are no complex quest decision flags like in Deus Ex. Even if it is a lazy feature, I will say I have never played a game where it esentially feels like you're going back to explore a dead past. Because that's what it is. It's so loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

midexlain posted:

I'm gonna post the final fantasy xv omen trailer.

https://youtu.be/SZymd6r4wGg

That is the only explicitly real surviving remnant of the original plot for Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Except it's not even that. That trailer was made by a totally different company as an art project of sorts, after the rebrand to XV. Which makes you wonder why the gently caress they patched it into the game as a dream sequence when it has nothing to do with anything.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

It's pathetic how bad Square is at writing. They are completely incapable of writing a coherent plot. Even Bethesda, who blow rear end at writing can still make a plot you can follow without needing supplemental material to explain everything.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also going back to the infodump they patched into Shiva months ago: Way to just go "gently caress that incredibly detailed, albiet :spergin: as gently caress fan theory" In an incredibly dumb, lazy way. "Ifrit was cool, boned Shiva, then became not cool" doesn't compare at all to the idea someone came up by taking their Philosophy and Psychology minors way too seriously for the bonus dungeon.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I have no idea what fan theory you are talking about, but I have a strong feeling that it is really stupid and uninteresting.

Also the leviathan fight reminds me of the final boss of Sonic Adventure. Put Open Your Heart over that fight and you will not tell the difference. Except in Sonic Adventure you actually had to try to win instead of the boss being a glorified cutscene.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 2, 2018

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

someone on reddit made a really long post desperately trying to connect a postgame dungeon's architecture to this game's "lore" about ifrit and the other summons (but mostly ifrit).

it is indeed stupid and uninteresting

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

melodicwaffle posted:

Except it's not even that. That trailer was made by a totally different company as an art project of sorts, after the rebrand to XV. Which makes you wonder why the gently caress they patched it into the game as a dream sequence when it has nothing to do with anything.

Because the other company made Noctis actually look competent in parts of it, which they could never work out how to do on their own.

midexlain
Apr 1, 2014

melodicwaffle posted:

I don't have exact sources on me, but there was supposed leaks that in the original concept of FF Versus XIII that Stella gets killed off by Noctis before the game even starts but Noctis doesn't remember it and she was supposed to act like a haunting ghost. And about the different company, square enix didn't make the trailer but it seems that the company who made it were following these forementioned leaked concepts. As you said touched upon, part of this trailer, but definitely not noctis killing stella/luna, was slipped into the main game, and this trailer was posted onto the official final fantasy xv youtube channel, so definitely not an isolated fan art project as you're making it out to be.

There is much more detailed information on the leaks which actually makes sense of a few things in the present scaffolding of a plot, if you take the time to look it up, which is why I believe the trailer is not just a fan team's oc. I do not believe it's a coincidence that the trailer coincides with these leaks and that it was officially released by square enix. The original story of Final Fantasy Versus XIII was supposed to be a much darker,actually coherent story and the omen trailer effectively stays true to that original vision.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have the three dudebros in it either. Clearly a sign of a better game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"idiot boy-band road trip" was the whole reason I almost bought this game, since I figured they'd at least make ONE party member likeable :shepface: Ignis is the closest because he only sometimes says stupid poo poo, instead of constantly like the others

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

someone on reddit made a really long post desperately trying to connect a postgame dungeon's architecture to this game's "lore" about ifrit and the other summons (but mostly ifrit).

Compared to normal content. Compared to this game its a Doctoral Thesis. Still has better motivations for what we're doing than "Ifrit doesn't like humans anymore"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

"idiot boy-band road trip" was the whole reason I almost bought this game, since I figured they'd at least make ONE party member likeable :shepface:

If they had been a literal boy band and this was a gender-swapped X-2, it probably would have at least been camp as gently caress.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

melodicwaffle posted:

someone on reddit [...] is indeed stupid and uninteresting

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Yeah, I was actually really interested when I heard it was going to be "Road Trip with The Boys RPG". Sadly it is not a fun game to play and I don't like any of the boys, which is amazing because usually FF games have at least one or two characters that I like.

I really would have liked this to just be a plot where four idiots go on a road trip and then the whole thing goes wrong and they have to do a bunch of crazy poo poo to get back home. It would've been really fun. Basically National Lampoon's Vacation, but with a boy band.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 2, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Final Hangover XV

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Dumb and Dumber Fantasy 15

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

The Final Hangover XV

Please don't let them make an FFXV-2, let alone a FFXV-3....

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

melodicwaffle posted:

What does Shiva's sweat frost smell/taste like?

fake edit because that terrible nerd reference leaves a really bad taste in my mouth: Did the patch that added the info dumb mean they got her voice actor to do new lines, or did they have a bunch of garbage on the floor that they cut together?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

But is this stuff from the supplemental material or is it just trying to make up a reasonable reason? I mean, it's easy to give them reasonable reasons ranging from spite to hubris to 'That loving hobo is their chancellor and he is obviously loving with poo poo, look at him, dude couldn't be trying any harder to be Kefka if he went to clown school' but is that stuff actually in the game?

Theres a reason, but it's at the very end and it's very stupid.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

PhazonLink posted:

Gatorade.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mixed with some of that skull vodka Dan Ackroyd sells.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
Seeing how close we are to the end, I really hope you guys can get Bandunk to join you again for the final episodes and when he asks what's going on you can just shrug your shoulders.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

fake edit because that terrible nerd reference leaves a really bad taste in my mouth: Did the patch that added the info dumb mean they got her voice actor to do new lines, or did they have a bunch of garbage on the floor that they cut together?

Well, it's not like voice actors are expensive. Probably cost less than the price of a single executive's lunch.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We might be recording again Soon™. Can someone give us a hopefully spoiler free heads up on the point of no return w/r/t sidequest stuff?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

We might be recording again Soon™. Can someone give us a hopefully spoiler free heads up on the point of no return w/r/t sidequest stuff?

No point of no return since you have experienced Time Dog. He'll be back at some point soonish.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The sea dragon fight was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen in a game, but every video since has managed to top it.

I have so many questions about this last one and they all start with 'What the hell was the point of...'

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zoe posted:

The sea dragon fight was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen in a game, but every video since has managed to top it.

I have so many questions about this last one and they all start with 'What the hell was the point of...'

I'll love to see a documentary about just WTF happened over at SE development studios in the past 10 years.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Kuvo posted:

There isn't any. You can use the time dog even at the very end of the game to go back to the first continent.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kuvo posted:

Whoever told you there was a point of no return was trolling you into spending 30 episodes trying to do the level 45+ dungeons at level 20.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seriously don't know what is going on in this stupid game and I've seen every episode so far. I think the ice chick gave you the time dog but I don't remember where she popped up before that. I remember at the start the driving force of the plot was to go and meet the princess, but after pursuing that for ages its now changed to "You need this magic ring for ???? (Maybe to atomize goblins?) and stop homeless man" over the course of an hour and a half. Whoever wrote this must've had a stroke half way through or something because the plot is awful and impossible to follow even when I'm consulting my friend who loves this game, this must be what its like to have dementia.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Actual reason is "we have these scraps of Versus XIII done, figure out something to tie them together and push it out ASAP". Endgame from here on gained some infamy for dumping all the plot at you if it'll make any sense when Kuvo gets there.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The most ridiculous thing is that it's now revealed that Ardyn is IMMORTAL and can do any random bullshit he wants including stopping time and taking your weapons away somehow so why didn't he do this poo poo from the beginning to get what he wants, why did he even need all this elaborate puppeteering of the evil Empire that was destroyed off screen anyway.

And was Luna's brother really just executed off camera after being included in cut scenes where the plot gestured ineptly in the direction of him mattering somehow?

Why the hell was Luna sobbing and shaking because she just wanted to 'hear his voice again', Noctis, this kid she'd hung out with for like a few weeks several years ago?

Include 'I guess?' or 'I think?' as a postscript to every question and statement made here because holy poo poo this game is so bad at getting the things that are happening across I can only make vague assumptions at best. The truest statement made in the video was how insane it is that FFX now looks like a shining beacon of good storytelling in comparison to this mess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zoe posted:

The most ridiculous thing is that it's now revealed that Ardyn is IMMORTAL and can do any random bullshit he wants including stopping time and taking your weapons away somehow so why didn't he do this poo poo from the beginning to get what he wants, why did he even need all this elaborate puppeteering of the evil Empire that was destroyed off screen anyway.

It's Evil Overlord 101 - let the good guys slowly gain strength fighting your mooks until they are finally worthy of fighting you.

Never fails!

Seriously though, that's literally the only explanation I can think of at this point. It's not like they're a threat.

Maybe he needs Noct to be "worthy" of the ring* to finally destroy the Star/Crystal and bring forth an endless night of demons. The only thing to be seen is whether he's doing this on his own or as an avatar for Ifrit.

* You know, the one he just put on like it was no big deal. The movie showed that when you put on the ring you get capital-J Judged. And by god you'd better be worthy.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 3, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zoe posted:

And was Luna's brother really just executed off camera after being included in cut scenes where the plot gestured ineptly in the direction of him mattering somehow?

Its the same thing that happened the last time the radio told you someone died (Noct and Luna after the most complicated attempt to get on a boat since loving Operation Overlord.)

I think its just bad translation this time, since the newspaper says he's sentenced to capital punishment. I mean I'd assume the Evil Empire would mean about 1/10th of a second between sentence and execution, but maybe they have a good and robust justice system with multiple judicial reviews and appeals before execution?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zoe posted:

It's super obvious that the big dumb twist is going to be that he wanted Noctis and his goobers to do all this poo poo they've been doing for some, undoubtedly nonsensical, reason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I legitimately hope the "twist" is that Ardyn is just an rear end in a top hat and wants to troll Noctis. That's it. No big evil plan. No greater purpose. Just an entire charade by a bored immortal dude to troll the chosen one. At this point it's the only motivation I could feasibly respect.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

I legitimately hope the "twist" is that Ardyn is just an rear end in a top hat and wants to troll Noctis. That's it. No big evil plan. No greater purpose. Just an entire charade by a bored immortal dude to troll the chosen one. At this point it's the only motivation I could feasibly respect.

I now want to write a fantasy novel based on this exact plot.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
isn't that just Q from TNG?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Zoe posted:

The leviathan fight looked like something out of a platinum game. Too bad it wasn't a platinum game, because it would have been spectacular.

I guess that's a good way to describe a lot of this game, a failed attempt to make an action-rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Is there even an end boss or some kind of resolution, because at this point I would totally believe the game will eventually just stop giving you waypoints to bad cutscenes and leave you to wander the Earth until you die or maybe turn the game off and write Square-Enix angry letters.

• Locked thread