Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Saladman posted:

...Honestly except for Brown Moses and the SA poster who got murdered in Benghazi (Sean Smith, if anyone hasn't been reading this thread that long and/or didn't remember), has anyone from this thread ever done anything remotely relevant or actually useful?

A number of us invaded Iraq, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A number of us invaded Iraq, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

relevant yes; useful no.

Well useful in giving this thread the unchanging part of its title I guess.

On a slightly different subject:

https://www.populationpyramid.net/qatar/2020/
https://www.populationpyramid.net/united-arab-emirates/2020/

I guess slaves migrant workers are why these pyramids are so absurdly unbalanced.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 2, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's a couple other journalists besides BM who have been in this thread in years past, but they've all migrated full time to Twitter. BM just has an absurdly high tolerance for dumb, prejudiced internet commenters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Volkerball posted:

There's a couple other journalists besides BM who have been in this thread in years past, but they've all migrated full time to Twitter. BM just has an absurdly high tolerance for dumb, prejudiced internet commenters.

is the joke that Twitter is a poor choice for that criterion?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

is the joke that Twitter is a poor choice for that criterion?

Main Twitter is bad but the chat groups are good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://defence-blog.com/news/qatar-talks-russia-procuring-su-35-fighters.html

quote:

Russian presidential assistant for military-technical cooperation, Vladimir Kozhin revealed his government is in talks with the Qatar Armed Forces about supplying Su-35 multirole fighter jets.

According to the TASS, Kozhin confirmed that Qatar is looking at acquiring the Sukhoi Su-35 ‘Flanker-E’ multirole combat aircraft.

Next step: the FC-31.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The Qatari airforce museum is going to have a a great "Early 21st century fighter aircraft" section in years to come. The 'gotta catch em all' Pokemon theory, except applied to ruinously expensive modern military aircraft.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
SA has them beat for "who has the most military equipment that does the same thing but made by different countries?" Looking at the SA Army's Wikipedia page is pretty nuts. They have three different types of self-propelled 155m howitzers, one from the US, one from China, and one from France.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 3, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

SA has them beat for "who has the most military equipment that does the same thing but made by different countries?" Looking at the SA Army's Wikipedia page is pretty nuts. They have three different types of self-propelled 155m howitzers, one from the US, one from China, and one from France.

When you make sure you pay off everyone you'll always have friends.

At least until the money runs out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Just Chillin with my bros!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Things are looking pretty dire for the YPG in Afrin.

There are reports that over 30 Assad aligned militia men were killed in a Turkish airstrike. Turkish forces have advanced to the outskirts of the town of Jandaris, the second or third largest town in Afrin canto after Afrin itself and maybe Tal Rifaat.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Al-Saqr posted:

Just Chillin with my bros!

I feel like a lotta news stories on MBS already neglect the fact he kidnapped Hariri (like reading a WaPo piece on how MBS "entered the world stage" with the Qatar crisis).

Glad to see these guys have forgotten about it too! :3:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Darkman Fanpage posted:

"SA" - Goddam... first I thought you were talking about a goon thread... then I thought South Africa... THEN I went Saudi Arabia... It's way too early.
:ughh:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Squalid posted:

Things are looking pretty dire for the YPG in Afrin.

There are reports that over 30 Assad aligned militia men were killed in a Turkish airstrike. Turkish forces have advanced to the outskirts of the town of Jandaris, the second or third largest town in Afrin canto after Afrin itself and maybe Tal Rifaat.

They never had much hope of holding off mechanized infantry and a modern air force in the hinterlands. The urban warfare will be a different picture, but even if they hold the Turks off in the towns, the civilians are going to suffer horribly. Hopefully Afrin doesn't become the next East Aleppo.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Darkman Fanpage posted:

From what i know, they can't get everything from a single country, i'm not exactly sure if its some international law or the countries who sell them arms limit what they sell. But its why gulf countries have a bunch of stuff from various countries.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fizzil posted:

From what i know, they can't get everything from a single country, i'm not exactly sure if its some international law or the countries who sell them arms limit what they sell. But its why gulf countries have a bunch of stuff from various countries.

You might think that but in regards to the self-propelled howitzers they have 50 each from China and France and 600 from the US, so it really makes no sense other than as Orange Devil says.

Orange Devil posted:

When you make sure you pay off everyone you'll always have friends.

At least until the money runs out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/969893882606641153?s=19

:rolleyes:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The last time this happened he actually did bomb Syria so all we can say for sure is hell do something dumb

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah shouldn't you be happy Trump is having a knee jerk reaction to something and potentially going to start WW3?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah shouldn't you be happy Trump is having a knee jerk reaction to something and potentially going to start WW3?

The scenes in Ghouta have been playing themselves out for years all over Syria. The only reason Trump is talking about it now is because of the publicity surrounding it, but the movement gave up on intervention years ago, and is just there to raise awareness and make victims feel like they haven't been completely forgotten by the world. Nobody is going to do anything.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Do we have any idea what Assad is going to do with a turkish standing army occupies a quarter of their country?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Holy loving poo poo, Trump really is Wilhelm II reborn

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Trump really is Wilhelm II reborn

I sincerely use Trump as the basis for my mental images of Tsar Nicolas and Kaiser Wilhelm.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Duckbox posted:

They never had much hope of holding off mechanized infantry and a modern air force in the hinterlands. The urban warfare will be a different picture, but even if they hold the Turks off in the towns, the civilians are going to suffer horribly. Hopefully Afrin doesn't become the next East Aleppo.

Yeah I was just going to ask about Afrin the city. Would the YPG defend it to the bitter end, or surrender and spare its destruction?

Lots of civilian causalities could make things interesting. What would the US, Russia, and the EU say to hundreds of Kurdish/Syrian deaths at the hands of Turkish warplanes? How would Assad react?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Likely the same as for Ghouta. No one outside the usual bleeding heart appeals would actually care. Doubly so, since this time it's a NATO ally doing it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The few places who acted as though they gave a gently caress about piles of dead Syrians never went to war against Assad. Why would they go to war with the vastly more powerful and influential Turkey over a much smaller pile? They aren't even carpet bombing cities or using internationally banned weapons (yet).

ISIS was the only murderous faction in this conflict to actually draw international intervention (at least against them rather than on their behalf), and they were a much easier target both operationally and politically.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 4, 2018

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The war in Syria is a domestic matter. Other countries should not intervene, but should instead promote dialogue between parties.

ISIS was a trans-national movement that was exporting terrorism. Foreign intervention was warranted.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think when a government starts dabbling in concentration camps and mass graves it starts to get pretty loving ridiculous to handwave it away as a domestic matter.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I think when a government starts dabbling in concentration camps and mass graves it starts to get pretty loving ridiculous to handwave it away as a domestic matter.

No man it's ok because Assad is secular, you see

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

The war in Syria is a domestic matter. Other countries should not intervene, but should instead promote dialogue between parties.

ISIS was a trans-national movement that was exporting terrorism. Foreign intervention was warranted.

The "SAA" these days is a hodgepodge of Iranian military, trans-national sectarian militias (nice big chunk from Iraq), Russian regular military, Russian mercenaries, international terror/paramilitary organizations (Hezbollah), and the remains of the loyalist Syrian military. It's definitely trans-national.

It doesn't export terrorism yet, aside from creating the conditions and events responsible for creating this whole mess, but that'll likely change when the militias and paramilitaries leave.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/jokerhk1992/status/970312543305633798?s=19

Very powerful picture from people in Ghouta, but :nms:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 4, 2018

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Warbadger posted:

The "SAA" these days is a hodgepodge of Iranian military, trans-national sectarian militias (nice big chunk from Iraq), Russian regular military, Russian mercenaries, international terror/paramilitary organizations (Hezbollah), and the remains of the loyalist Syrian military. It's definitely trans-national.

It doesn't export terrorism yet, aside from creating the conditions and events responsible for creating this whole mess, but that'll likely change when the militias and paramilitaries leave.

The Iranians and Russians are present in Syria with Assad's permission. That's different from the unprovoked American warmongering in Syria.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
An appeal to Assad's legitimacy in 2018. Good lord.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

An appeal to Hussein legitimacy in 2002. Good lord.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, surely a Sunni Islamist government would be a more legitimate ruler for Syria.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

The Iranians and Russians are present in Syria with Assad's permission. That's different from the unprovoked American warmongering in Syria.

The Americans are present in Syria with the SDF and regional Kurdish authorities permission. That's different from the unprovoked Russian and Iranian warmongering in Syria.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ah, so you're truther about American involvement in Syria huh

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

svenkatesh posted:

Yes, surely a Sunni Islamist government would be a more legitimate ruler for Syria.

Democracy is only good if it elects people we like, eh?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Democracy is only good if it elects people we like, eh?

Is this a serious question? The answer is yes. What's the point of having democracy if the elected government's first step is going to be constitutional reforms that lead to absolute power (ala Egypt, after Morsi was elected), which inevitably is followed by persecuting minorities?

A secular strongman > democratically elected Islamist populist, any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

svenkatesh posted:

Well their body count would certainly be lower than Assad's.