Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The Black Order struck me as really forgettable baddies outside of the fact that two of them were married with a kid. Neat designs, but most of them had really generic powers and personalities.

There was also the weird thing where they acted like they were based around some tradition or culture that can't have existed for more than a year or two? Don't know if they ever got a proper origin, but it always struck me as odd given that Thanos had been out of circulation for good while before Infinity, so the idea that he'd founded this whole society struck me as a little weird unless there was some retconning regarding that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Gimme some more of those amazing Hickman-era Avengers creations. Where's Ex Nihilo at? Aren't we all clamouring for Marvel to bring back The Builders?

Hey hey hey hit boring characters like Nightmask and PTSD Captain Universe are not technically Hickman co-creations, those names have been around for years! :rimshot:

Jokes aside though, Hickman did a lot of good Avengers work and I love the first half of it but there is a lot of wasted potential and plots that go nowhere during that whole run.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 2, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, the end of yesterday’s Deadpool was soul crushing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What would I like to see Hickman writing at Marvel... ah, that's right, nothing. I want 12 issues of Black Monday Murders a year instead.

For real though, Hickman's run made me give a poo poo about the Avengers in a way I never did before or have since. And sure there were so many factions of mysterious enemies that they were confusing and redundant at times, and occasionally a definite sense of throwing poo poo at the walls to see what sticks, but the good stuff totally outweighed the lackluster stuff, in my opinion anyway.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/969605008210714624

Doctor Strange...IN SPPAAAAACCCCCEEEEEE

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nilbop posted:

Jesus Christ you can't say that poo poo to me when I'm talking about Ex Nihilo and whatever the gently caress that Earth self-defense weapon was supposed to be called.

Didn't Aaron use starbrand for avengers BC?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Didn't Aaron use starbrand for avengers BC?
Yeah he did.

Starbrand wasn't a Hickman creation, in any case

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Whaaa, really?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Star Brand and Nightmask were from Jim Shooter’s and Archie Goodwin’s New Universe books in the ‘80s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Whaaa, really?
I don't know if you're being serious, but he was based on a New Universe character that was ported over to 616. Hickman's was a new version of him, but not a totally original character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They may not have had legs beyond Avengers but his use of the New Universe was excellent and I wished he'd done more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang I totally thought those two were brand new characters lol

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Starbrand was part of a "new IPs" line push from the 80s called the New Universe. It was initially set in a different continuity, with the other New Universe titles, but made the jump to 616 at some point along the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The original brand followed Quasar over from the NU. The Hickman version was not the same brand however.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Quasar is new u too? Learning all sorts of stuff this morning

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

every issue of Deadpool since him killing Coulson has been despair mixed with the darkest comedy

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

Quasar is new u too? Learning all sorts of stuff this morning

No, but there was an issue of his book by Mark Gruenwald where he went to the New Universe by mistake, and had to borrow the Star Brand to make it back.

Then, IIRC, it turned out the Star Brand hadn't stayed in the NU like he'd thought and his secretary wound up with it for a while.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

OGB posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/969605008210714624

Doctor Strange...IN SPPAAAAACCCCCEEEEEE

Oh good, I hope he finally remembers to rescue Casey.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

every issue of Deadpool since him killing Coulson has been despair mixed with the darkest comedy

Yeah but the last few pages of this one were even darker, with no comedy. Just a broken jokeless Deadpool that realized all to well the horror of the situation he was in and for a moment felt the full weight of the task he was doing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, Starbrand was part of a "new IPs" line push from the 80s called the New Universe. It was initially set in a different continuity, with the other New Universe titles, but made the jump to 616 at some point along the way.

When Starbrand showed up I kept hoping that DP7 would suddenly appear too. Less so Spitfire, I always thought the armour was kinda goofy and the story a warmed over iron man.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Scaramouche posted:

When Starbrand showed up I kept hoping that DP7 would suddenly appear too. Less so Spitfire, I always thought the armour was kinda goofy and the story a warmed over iron man.

Close your eyes and imagine Hickman's version of Kickers, Inc with me

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Gottdamn Ottlely on Spider-Man is so good, followed immediately by Nick Spencer is so loving bad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Scaramouche posted:

There were a bunch of New Universe people/concepts that showed up in Al Ewing and co.'s Ultimates/Ultimates 2, including Spitfire and some Psi-Force characters. I forget if any DP7 stuff made it over.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Man, I hate how artists at one point always drew womens costumes being thongs or in the process of becoming a thong though wedgie.

Probably why this exchange exists

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I hate how artists at one point always drew womens costumes being thongs or in the process of becoming a thong though wedgie.

Get your sjw agenda out of my comics

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

What costume are they talking about here? I don't remember any Spider-Woman costume being particularly bad outside of the usual ridiculous skin-tightness.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please don’t post the image. You know the one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Please don’t post the image. You know the one.

Butt I must!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

JordanKai posted:

What costume are they talking about here? I don't remember any Spider-Woman costume being particularly bad outside of the usual ridiculous skin-tightness.

They're talking about the usual ridiculous skin-tightness.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

X-O posted:

I have literally never read a run of a comic that is both this depressing and this well-written. This is some incredible Deadpool.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They're talking about the usual ridiculous skin-tightness.

Not everyone can have Dick Greyson's confidence in his rear end, it's understandable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

While this run was phenomenal, this scene does drip with the irony that it's being drawn by Greg frickin' Land.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaz-L posted:

While this run was phenomenal, this scene does drip with the irony that it's being drawn by Greg frickin' Land.

It also drips with something incredibly annoying whenever a writer wants to do a new costume/name "To ensure the new one gets over, lets poo poo on the old one!" This chat just raises the question, if you were all so embarrassed to 'fly with your asses out' Then why did you? Peer pressure? Yeah out of universe it's because that was there character design, but now in-universe you have to explain why it was they did it in the first place, and this can be very stupid, I think my favorite of those moments was She-Hulk complaining about being 'She'-Hulk. When she's the one who came up with her name! No one in-universe named her She-Hulk. And this is especially stupid because it wasn't Jen breaking the 4th wall as she's done many times to talk about the out-of-universe reasons behind why she got the name. It was entirely focused in the frame of the narrative with no wiggle room.

I personally hate scenes like this because it rarely if ever actually makes sense from an in-narrative perspective. It's basically just following the "Guide to being like Hawkeye and Batgirl, without any actual creative nuance or identity."

The thing is, these are all things that work on a meta-narrative perspective, "Z-Listers are silly and goofy" works from outside because well... they are, but in-universe, these people often have pretty insane powers or abilities that could reasonably make them very rich if they went legit, things way beyond the understanding of plebs. And this isn't the same thing as things like Sauron and "But you could cure cancer!" "But I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs" That's a comedic thing about those characters motivations that work within the scope of the narrative.

I mean maybe I'm just a stuffed shirt who finds stuff like this more annoying than I should, but I squarely blame it for the current Marvel problem of "Every villain is a joke and the Heroes always fight other Heroes."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've only noticed the z-lister thing with Nick Spencer to be honest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Counterpoint: the Spider-Woman series did pretty much all of that and was awesome :colbert:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Counterpoint: the Spider-Woman series did pretty much all of that and was awesome :colbert:

I loved everything about that series and a half.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The art for the Die Hard in a Maternity Ward (in space) arc was amazing

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Was that the same spider woman with the amazing issue about how much motherhood sucked?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm aware, the panels I posted are a parody of that series. And... look you're allowed to enjoy that, I personally find it really shallow and lovely but like... that's me, I have weird taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Onmi posted:

It also drips with something incredibly annoying whenever a writer wants to do a new costume/name "To ensure the new one gets over, lets poo poo on the old one!" This chat just raises the question, if you were all so embarrassed to 'fly with your asses out' Then why did you? Peer pressure? Yeah out of universe it's because that was there character design, but now in-universe you have to explain why it was they did it in the first place, and this can be very stupid, I think my favorite of those moments was She-Hulk complaining about being 'She'-Hulk. When she's the one who came up with her name! No one in-universe named her She-Hulk. And this is especially stupid because it wasn't Jen breaking the 4th wall as she's done many times to talk about the out-of-universe reasons behind why she got the name. It was entirely focused in the frame of the narrative with no wiggle room.

I personally hate scenes like this because it rarely if ever actually makes sense from an in-narrative perspective. It's basically just following the "Guide to being like Hawkeye and Batgirl, without any actual creative nuance or identity."

The thing is, these are all things that work on a meta-narrative perspective, "Z-Listers are silly and goofy" works from outside because well... they are, but in-universe, these people often have pretty insane powers or abilities that could reasonably make them very rich if they went legit, things way beyond the understanding of plebs. And this isn't the same thing as things like Sauron and "But you could cure cancer!" "But I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs" That's a comedic thing about those characters motivations that work within the scope of the narrative.

I mean maybe I'm just a stuffed shirt who finds stuff like this more annoying than I should, but I squarely blame it for the current Marvel problem of "Every villain is a joke and the Heroes always fight other Heroes."

were these made by that one dude on tumblr who rewrites the word bubbles on comics to make them "more honest" and has clearly spent far too much time on the comic section of 4chan because they sure read like it

• Locked thread