Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Guy Goodbody posted:

broke: Cyberpunk
woke: Orgonepunk
Sex Criminals, or just Grant Morrison?

(it's probably best with unknown armies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

broke: Cyberpunk
woke: Orgonepunk

Bespoke: OregonPunk

A tale of a band of social undesirables in a dystopian America taking the trail from Missouri to the free state of Oregon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Bespoke: OregonPunk

A tale of a band of social undesirables in a dystopian America taking the trail from Missouri to the free state of Oregon.

The Postman is an example of the oregonpunk genre,[3][4][5][6] though it predated the genre name.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So Chad Walker updated over on SIGMATA with an example of playtest scenario :

quote:

During a playtest campaign this month, taking place in a Resistance stronghold in Miami, Resistance leadership faced a strategic challenge and brought in the Receivers to negotiate the outcome. The problem at hand was that, because of a (failing) Regime-backed counter-revolutionary coup in Cuba, refugees from both sides of that conflict were pouring into Florida. The Regime had no interested in providing sanctuary even for those who fought at its behest. In fact, they even permitted zealous militia-types to rent yachts and "defend the borders," much like the yahoos in real life who voluntarily patrol desert borders in America for a chance to murder some of the most vulnerable people on Earth. The Faction leads had conflicting views on what to do about the refugees. Some wanted to take them all in, some wanted to deny them all, and some wanted to take them in so they could set up tribunals for the counter-revolutionaries among them. Presented these three options (with the vehemence and talking points we'd expect) and asked to support one, the Receivers developed and proposed a fourth option: to take everyone in while also disseminating disinformation to them, in order to see who would act on this information, thereby identifying who actually posed a legitimate counter-revolutionary threat to the movement. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it was a solution each faction could begrudgingly live with, simultaneously appealing to both the humanists among them as well as those who prioritized "control." The players navigated a somewhat grotesque ideological squabble, and at least for one day, and avoided a showdown with hardliners. They won't be able to do it every time, especially as the pressure continues to ratchet up.

The Receivers and the People are the Resistance. The factions are groups that provide fighters, money, weapons, logistics, propaganda, supplies, organizational effectiveness, and zeal to the movement. Most of them are anomalies in the socio-political zeitgeist they come from in that they sincerely believe in the tenets their political or belief systems espouses (e.g. mercy, liberty, tolerance, economic fairness, self-reliance, social responsibility, anti-statism, etc.). And the Regime would like nothing more than for these groups than to have them retrograde back into their fash-aligned spaces, or, in The Party's case, leverage Cold War politics to warp an ideology that wants nothing to do with the Kremlin. The Regime will use psychological operations to prop up and support those in the Resistance who embody our worst tendencies. Sometimes, they'll succeed. And sometimes, the Resistance will do all their work for them.

Hang in there, comrades. This is unequivocally a humanist, anarchists, anti-fascist work dedicated to invading, counter-recruiting in, and taking back the fash-dominated spaces that many of use think we have already lost.

Onward.

As someone called out here, that absolutely reads like the Factions should be parts of the Regime, because that whole scenario is basically predicated on the right wing militia concept of the Old Men.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

As someone called out here, that absolutely reads like the Factions should be parts of the Regime, because that whole scenario is basically predicated on the right wing militia concept of the Old Men.

this is incoherent garbage, but it almost sounds like the factions are a separate obstacle from the regime, which could work, but not as your allies. like if you're just some randos with superpowers and you have to contend with a fascist regime and a bunch of extremists squabbling over who is gonna run things after the regime goes down, sure ok. but that's not how its written

and leaving that aside, the scenario as presented is dumb as gently caress because 3/4 of the factions would be against letting immigrants in, and the party is just so terribly written that there's no basis in reality for what it would do

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

DalaranJ posted:

I’d much rather see an rpg that was the focus of a gesamtkunstwerk. Like the package comes with with a soundtrack, and candles/incense and adjustable color lightbulbs.

Wait, am I describing Invisible Sun?

That sounds infinitely more interesting than "plastic hand", so no.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The fact that the Batman Kickstarter game is Kickstarter Exclusive is really irritating. It seems like a product that actually would do pretty well through conventional channels, and it would be a awful one to find out about it at any point after the funding period if you are a Batman fan.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The fact that the Batman Kickstarter game is Kickstarter Exclusive is really irritating. It seems like a product that actually would do pretty well through conventional channels, and it would be a awful one to find out about it at any point after the funding period if you are a Batman fan.

This is what has me pissed. I don't have the money for it right now, and it means I'll never have it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In the meantime, I will continue to push my genre innovation of Electropunk, which is is based on my game setting where the world becomes dependent on alternating current. In it, an overclass uses the control and wealth of the dangerous industries that produce this fanciful energy to manipulate the underclasses and claim power. The world's superpowers become dominated by a decadent, neo-fascist elite that unites in the interest of undermining and crushing dissent to their rule.

I'm aiming for something a lot more realistic and grim than the other -punk genres and I think I'm on to something.

Pretty sure the first time I heard "Electropunk" was the original Zybourne Clock thread.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It wouldn't. It's like 3 huge boxes full of poo poo. Ton of shelf space plus an entry point of 140 dollars, pricing out the casual Batman fan.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

OgreNoah posted:

So are there any Kickstarters up right now that don't look like poo poo? I try to follow this thread but it's about 100% complaining (rightfully) about awful games.

Most of the decent looking Kickstarters I've pledged to have already passed funding and are into the production and final delivery stages. The Spire just sent out pdfs to backers and are talking about getting things to the printer within a matter of weeks, Unity RPG is in the same place, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2E just sent pdfs out as well. Boardgame-wise, Level 99 says they're working on getting the Argent 2E stuff put together for production and the second Exceed season is being sent to distribution centers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh my gosh. He's also adapting the Bay of Pigs to his sassy little extreme right-wing game. ::allears::

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The Moon Monster posted:

Pretty sure the first time I heard "Electropunk" was the original Zybourne Clock thread.

After "Stormpunk" I can't be surprised by the emergence of a new fauxpunk.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I heard a former literary editor say that when he was in the business, the best selling books were all about either vampires or Perfect Storms. He suggested to every writer he worked with that they should write a book where vampires fought perfect storms, but none of them did.

I'm just going to assume that's what stormpunk is.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

"Today in our game we had to choose between letting in no immigrants, letting in some immigrants, and letting in all the immigrants but killing some, so we chose option 4, which was option 3 but only killing the ones we were really, really sure about. For some reason this satisfied everyone."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

"Today in our game we had to choose between letting in no immigrants, letting in some immigrants, and letting in all the immigrants but killing some, so we chose option 4, which was option 3 but only killing the ones we were really, really sure about. For some reason this satisfied everyone."

Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi are top-tier backers of this game

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi are top-tier backers of this game

Chad posted:

Chad Walker Creator
about 4 hours ago
@Wraith: "The Old Men" were designed taking ques from modern rural and community-defense-centric anti-fascist organizations (Redneck Revolt), anti-war and anti-oligarch veteran activists (Smedley Butler), spiked with a little bit of (actually, a lot of) Red Dawn WOLVERINES because this is an 80s period piece. The core book extensively covers their history, their grievances, their contributions to the Resistance, and the saboteurs/extremists/fakers hiding in their organization who would like to pull the organization hard-hard-hard right. The Old Men are the polar opposite of nationalists, statists, and fascists doing "voluntary border patrol." However, as The Old Men grows its ranks by taking on new militias, new libertarian collectives, and defecting Freedom Fist soldiers, the spirit of this organization may become contested.

All the factions are a medley of modern, historic, and fictional activist/anarchist/resistance movements. All are designed to be both heroic and problematic, to make the factional drama both interesting, compelling, and yes, controversial. I've endeavored to make that very, very clear but I may have missed the mark. Forward, I can't engage on every question/concern that arises from this facet of the game, primarily because I'm writing an entire game explaining it and am pursuing an aggressive deadline. Thanks to the backer community, the publication of the core game will be followed by 6 alternate setting campaigns written by people with very different perspectives and experience than mine, along with a companion book (and templates) to populate your own Resistance story, particularly if you don't find mine compelling.

I am beginning to feel that Mr. Walker may be an alt-right apologist.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fuckin' REDNECK REVOLT?!?!? That actually makes me physically angry.

Below is the very first statement from the top of Redneck Revolt's "About" page:

quote:

The concept of community is very important to our goals and intentions, because it separates us from those who work only in defense of their immediate family, property, and possessions. We find that many movements that uphold the concept of liberty do so only in an individualist mindset, which undermines the idea that liberty is something that all people are entitled to. We strongly believe that the concept of liberty can not truly exist on an individual level alone, and that any class, race, or state construct that enslaves and oppresses anyone among us is a threat to the liberty of all of us. With that in mind, we use the term "community" intentionally to describe those who share the same material conditions with us; our neighbors, our family members, our friends, the people working alongside us. Most of us are only one bad emergency away from disaster; a sustained layoff, medical emergency, or death in the family could take away everything we've worked for. In those situations, the people we turn to for support often have as little as us, but understand better than anyone how tenuous and important our support network is. That is our community.

This fuckin Chad guy is a real dumb piece of poo poo. He really thinks you can meld this philosophy in a "medley" with libertarianism. What a foolish joke.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 3, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

redneck revolt would be one of the 17,000 sub-factions that make up the party lol come on chad

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At this point I pretty much just see -punk as an aesthetic label rather than any sort of concrete set of themes...it's just become this thing that means "contains technology used in an anachronistic way". Steampunk has primitive technology used to fill more advanced roles, while cyberpunk has advanced technology in a socially primitive setting. Dieselpunk is essentially just steampunk, but the machines run on internal combustion engines. Atompunk is the same but everything has a nuclear reactor and fins. Cavepunk is steampunk with rocks.

I'd say the best fauxpunk term for what this setting seems to be is "tapepunk". Super-advanced computers running on reel-to-reel systems, micro VHS data tapes, etc.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like Steampunk was where the boat shifted, and honestly exactly for that reason. With cyberpunk, you're taking the shiny wrapping of the future and showing the scummy layer underneath, where even if the tech is progressive the society itself is very regressive. Steampunk, meanwhile, takes the low technology of steam and pairs it with a more optimistic society, hence why it seems more about science, wonder, and adventure.

Killed the word punk, though, by turning it into basically an aesthetic label.

Serf
May 5, 2011

steampunk fails because its so rarely about fighting the system and way more about wearing tophats with gears on 'em while doing the imperialism

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"Punk" just sounds cooler than "period setting" or "anachronistic setting", I suppose. But with something like Necromech, the emphasis seems to be on supernatural stuff and psychics, which makes the whole thing seem even more divorced from the veneer of having technological themes.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The Bee posted:

I feel like Steampunk was where the boat shifted, and honestly exactly for that reason. With cyberpunk, you're taking the shiny wrapping of the future and showing the scummy layer underneath, where even if the tech is progressive the society itself is very regressive. Steampunk, meanwhile, takes the low technology of steam and pairs it with a more optimistic society, hence why it seems more about science, wonder, and adventure.

Killed the word punk, though, by turning it into basically an aesthetic label.
I always thought it was weird how optimistic steampunk is compared to cyberpunk, especially considering how grim the Victorian era actually was. Massive income inequality, pollution on a scale never seen before, horrendous workers' rights, general exploitation and destruction of the environment, colonialism, genocide of Native American populations in the States, etc. You had the British Raj during this period, and that was somehow still an upgrade over the previous situation where an evil mega-corporation straight up owned the country.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I really want to feed Major Cogswoggle-Fairbarne his own bespoke monocle. Is there a steampunk game that will let me do that?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Henker posted:

I always thought it was weird how optimistic steampunk is compared to cyberpunk, especially considering how grim the Victorian era actually was. Massive income inequality, pollution on a scale never seen before, horrendous workers' rights, general exploitation and destruction of the environment, colonialism, genocide of Native American populations in the States, etc. You had the British Raj during this period, and that was somehow still an upgrade over the previous situation where an evil mega-corporation straight up owned the country.

It's basically just a utopian setting for cosplayers to have fun with, which shouldn't have punk in the name. I think a lot of the historical crimes and bigotry get papered over (or whitewashed) so everyone can play every role without people going "actually you'd be a second class citizen" all the time, and I guess if you're creating what's essentially a fantasy utopia setting, it makes sense that being better than our actual history is part of the deal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Henker posted:

I want to see Colonel Gearsworth's steam-powered zepplin with a "fuel efficiency" measured in preteens dead from heat exhaustion in the engine room.

"We've landed in port. Round up some more riffraff from the gutters, I want to be airborne again by teatime tomorrow."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

I want to see Colonel Gearsworth's steam-powered zepplin with a "fuel efficiency" measured in preteens dead from heat exhaustion in the engine room.

"We've landed in port. Round up some more riffraff from the gutters, I want to be airborne again by teatime tomorrow."

This is basically how ships work in Rogue Trader.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

steampunk fails because its so rarely about fighting the system and way more about wearing tophats with gears on 'em while doing the imperialism

pretty much, for RPGs Victoriana is the only one I've seen that makes any effort at all to say 'ok but you guys know the point of the story is to fight for the common man right' but even then it gets tripped over its own dick multiple times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Every time steampunk comes up, I just think of this by Kate Beaton.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oriongates posted:

I'd say the best fauxpunk term for what this setting seems to be is "tapepunk". Super-advanced computers running on reel-to-reel systems, micro VHS data tapes, etc.

You might be interested in this: http://www.alexvaranese.com/work/alt1977
Alt-70s retrofuturistic designs for modern-ish portable electronics. Basically everything has wood paneling with low res LCDs.

There's also a TTRPG that debuted on 4chan called Modempunk which is basically cyberpunk but more 80s retrofuturistic.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 3, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the flintstones is rockpunk

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Instead of Nazipunk, Unit-731-punk.

Just a bunch of horrible science experiments of mutated humanoids sewn together and plagued with various diseases.

What about romanpunk/greekpunk tho.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

FirstAidKite posted:

Instead of Nazipunk, Unit-731-punk.

Just a bunch of horrible science experiments of mutated humanoids sewn together and plagued with various diseases.

What about romanpunk/greekpunk tho.

Sandlepunk

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Steampunk literally started as a joke because like Tim Powers and a couple other folks were publishing stuff set in the 1800s in the same sci-fi/fantasy magazines that early cyberpunk started in and someone in a letters column was like "Haha, what do we call this anyway, Steampunk?"

The Difference Engine was basically taking that joke and running with it, and then most stuff after that was people missing the joke entirely.

Airship Pirates is all about fighting the Neo-Victorian Man, and is also weirdly self-aware in that the horrible society was in-setting created by letting Steampunk nerds get a time machine and try to reshape history to their aesthetic whim. (Sadly, it also shares a system with Victoriana.)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
When you think about it, SA itself is the ultimate forumpunk experience.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Fuckin' REDNECK REVOLT?!?!? That actually makes me physically angry.

Below is the very first statement from the top of Redneck Revolt's "About" page:

This fuckin Chad guy is a real dumb piece of poo poo. He really thinks you can meld this philosophy in a "medley" with libertarianism. What a foolish joke.

The level of political naivety involved in everything written there is absolutely hilarious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Arcanum did a good job of being a (fantasy) steampunk setting where the political issues weren't ignored.

Pity about the mechanical issues with the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I bet you could take Code Name S.T.E.A.M. and turn that into a decent miniatures strategy game and it'd probably be better than the original game (that's not saying much though).

Are there any board games out there that did what stuff like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. did and made a game out of playing as public domain characters teaming up to fight off evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the flintstones is rockpunk

Inspector Gadget is dadpunk