Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why not Booster Gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Has Krypton premiered yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how there's a comic where Jor-El interviewed a few humans through technobabble while scouting for somewhere to send Kal-El, and one of them is Thomas Wayne.

And also House of El, which is an Elseworld where Jor-El managed to bring his entire family to Earth, not just Kal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

corn in the bible posted:

Plato once wrote a message to fellow educators, telling them that while it's normal to want to gently caress your young beautiful students up the rear end, you shouldn't do it if it would get in the way of their education.

Wise words indeed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The topic of Deadpool came up in another thread, and while I find that movie doesn't age well if only because I find movies in anachronic order tend to be less interesting to rewatch when you already know the twists, I do like how well it captures the essence and fun of not only the character but the world he inhabits and the kind of interactions he has. He's surrounded by weird and slightly crazy people who are otherwise ordinary, and is basically an ambassador between the worlds of sitcom-esque black comedy he typically inhabits and the straight-faced melodramatic world of superheroes that he's technically a part of. (no wonder Negasonic Teenage Warhead likes him)

The FoX-men movies have been very mixed, but the themes of the X-Men mean they get a lot more natural focus on how the lives of everyday people are affected by superpowers on an individual and cultural basis. (for the most part, they're just weird people on the news who occasionally show up to bring weirdness to your day, and then the occasional disaster)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why not Booster Gold?

Word is WB gave Greg Berlanti (the guy behind the CW DC superheroes show and Riverdale) the job of writing a Booster Gold script. That was a couple of years ago, though. Booster does seem to be more suited for movies than Adam Strange.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The topic of Deadpool came up in another thread, and while I find that movie doesn't age well if only because I find movies in anachronic order tend to be less interesting to rewatch when you already know the twists, I do like how well it captures the essence and fun of not only the character but the world he inhabits and the kind of interactions he has. He's surrounded by weird and slightly crazy people who are otherwise ordinary, and is basically an ambassador between the worlds of sitcom-esque black comedy he typically inhabits and the straight-faced melodramatic world of superheroes that he's technically a part of. (no wonder Negasonic Teenage Warhead likes him)

The FoX-men movies have been very mixed, but the themes of the X-Men mean they get a lot more natural focus on how the lives of everyday people are affected by superpowers on an individual and cultural basis. (for the most part, they're just weird people on the news who occasionally show up to bring weirdness to your day, and then the occasional disaster)

Have you watched The Gifted on Fox? The series gives a lot more attention to everyday humans and mutants than the movies did. One of the episodes was about the mutants having to steal medicine from a hospital because they can't just walk in there and get treatment for one of them.

They also like to dig pretty deep into the list of Marvel mutants to get characters they can use. Evangeline Whedon showed up (guess which X-Men writer she was named after). No Maggot yet, though.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Have you seen Game Night yet? Maybe you should.

https://twitter.com/JohnFDaley/status/970006947515662336

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Someone on Twitter pointed out that the smoke grenades that Batman uses to distract Superman in BvS were lead based and that’s why Superman didn’t see where Batman went.

So then someone asked Snyder about it on Vero.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Can you PM people on Vero?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yes. Like twitter you both have to be following each other.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy moley, what a guy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone who bad mouths Snyder can eat poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vero really needs to lean into this and become the social network where people can ask questions of their favorite directors instead of whatever the gently caress it's supposed to be right now.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think Snyder is one of Vero’s “brand ambassadors” so it makes sense that he’s interacting with users. Vero doesn’t have ads and they said that the first million users (which they said they just passed a couple of days ago) would be free for life; everyone after that would have to pay a subscription fee. However, a few days ago they said that they were extending the “free for life” offer until further notice.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone who bad mouths Snyder can eat poo poo.

He's a bad director

and a nice person.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Apollo posted:

Someone on Twitter pointed out that the smoke grenades that Batman uses to distract Superman in BvS were lead based and that’s why Superman didn’t see where Batman went.

So then someone asked Snyder about it on Vero.

Superman's not blind to lead, his x-ray vision can't see through it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Davros1 posted:

the smoke is lead particulate.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Davros1 posted:

Yes, and?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ungulateman posted:

the smoke is lead particulate.

Superman still had supervision. It's not a lead sheet. Batman would still be visible, if not slightly obfuscated, to Superman.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The lead particulate is actually to give Superman super-brain damage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Superman still had supervision. It's not a lead sheet. Batman would still be visible, if not slightly obfuscated, to Superman.

Glad we've got your battle tactics analysis on the case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

The lead particulate is actually to give Superman super-brain damage.

Explains a lot about Batman that he's geared up by huffing lead particulate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's an amazing director but nice try.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
interesting visually but lacking in most other areas imo

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

MacheteZombie posted:

Has Krypton premiered yet?

Premiers on the 21st. To be honest, I didn't even really have it on my radar until I saw how utterly pitch-perfect fantastic Brainiac looks.

As for Snyder, the lead smoke might not make any sense under scrutiny, but it's the textbook definition of dumb-poo poo comic book logic, so I'll give him props for even putting that much thought into it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I honestly don't understand what you're suggesting here. If he can't see through lead, how are you suggesting that he should have seen through the lead?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fart City posted:

Premiers on the 21st. To be honest, I didn't even really have it on my radar until I saw how utterly pitch-perfect fantastic Brainiac looks.

As for Snyder, the lead smoke might not make any sense under scrutiny, but it's the textbook definition of dumb-poo poo comic book logic, so I'll give him props for even putting that much thought into it.

It's something Batman has done before in comics, which is why. Snyder is a big comic fan, it's not surprising.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

I honestly don't understand what you're suggesting here. If he can't see through lead, how are you suggesting that he should have seen through the lead?

Use his telescopic vision to see that on an atomic scale there are human atoms through the spaces of the lead smoke atoms DUH

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Use his telescopic vision to see that on an atomic scale there are human atoms through the spaces of the lead smoke atoms DUH
I'd like a scene where Superman tries this only to find that Batman hand-wrote "fuk u" on every single lead molecule

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Martman posted:

I'd like a scene where Superman tries this only to find that Batman hand-wrote "fuk u" on every single lead molecule

*sees Mark Millar furiously scribbling this down*

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Farg posted:

interesting visually but lacking in most other areas imo

Which areas is he lacking in? And why?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Martman posted:

By reducing fictional characters to what I imagine their RPG stats and abilities would be, down to the most pointless, irrelevant minutia, I can safely eliminate any and every aspect of interesting story telling from all of my favorite heroes. Now, about Superman's Supervision,

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

So...like...smoke?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Black Panther box office chat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At just 10 days in it's already smashing The Avengers, it's $30 million ahead of where they were on their 10th day. It'll be interesting to see how it goes from here because I have the teeniest inkling it might have some pretty good legs on it and if it makes $55 million in its 3rd weekend then it'll be on track to reaching the 3rd biggest domestic gross of all time.

The 3rd weekend estimates are in and it didn't make $55 million. It made $65 million. It's gonna make more (domestically) than Titanic. :aaa:

Oh and on day 17 it's now $44 million ahead of The Avengers. It not only has a huge lead, it's rapidly accelerating away.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

UmOk posted:

Which areas is he lacking in? And why?

the other parts, because he isn't not lacking. you aren't my englisht eacher

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Farg posted:

the other parts, because he isn't not lacking. you aren't my englisht eacher

obviously not

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

obviously not

huh?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I guess you could say the "non-visual" aspects of directing are casting and budgeting, but Snyder's casting is fantastic and Man of Steel infamously paid for itself before it even released, soooooo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pirate Jet posted:

I guess you could say the "non-visual" aspects of directing are casting and budgeting, but Snyder's casting is fantastic and Man of Steel infamously paid for itself before it even released, soooooo

Ackerman and Goode were miscast in Watchmen, although apparently Snyder originally wanted Jude Law for Veidt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ackerman and Goode were miscast in Watchmen, although apparently Snyder originally wanted Jude Law for Veidt.

That's still not great casting even if he had gotten Jude Law.