Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Double post but for the life of me I can't reliably dodge the water flow on Genbu as a DPS. Is it better to just hold still and eat the poo poo rather than trying to dodge it and risking dying? Maybe there's some simple trick I can't suss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The arrows show the direction the water is going. Either look at the path it's gonna take and stand where it's not going, or walk into a tile that's already been hit.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Nessus posted:

Double post but for the life of me I can't reliably dodge the water flow on Genbu as a DPS. Is it better to just hold still and eat the poo poo rather than trying to dodge it and risking dying? Maybe there's some simple trick I can't suss out.

Tell your healer to adjust and deal with it. Live the Black Mage lifestyle.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Nessus posted:

On that whole topic with Nanamo:

I suspect some of this is that the story direction has drifted somewhat over the course of four years, and possibly they decided due to either lack of resources or because they decided to do Ala Mhigo in 4.x, that they should not disrupt Ul'dah's status quo directly as hard as they did. My impression of Nanamo is that she is trying to work from a position of strength and I expect Ul'dah will transition to some kind of constitutional monarchy if the game runs long enough, while her previous plan was basically to flip the table and hope that Kan-e-Senna, Merlwyb, Pipin and Raubahn would be able to kill enough Monetarists that the republic could actually form.

I think it's fine honestly, Nanamo starts out as a dumb child with big ideals and the typical juvenile concept of politics where you do this one big great thing and then everything is fixed forever, except nothing ever works that way and the only thing her stepping down will accomplish is people who don't give a poo poo about her ideals rushing in to fill the power vacuum. She eventually accepts this and begins to deal with politics the proper way, as endless hard work. In doing so, she stops trying to be a hero and instead becomes a public servant, and therefore a worthwhile monarch. If she had actually gone through with the abdication the only difference you'd see is no Nanamo at the big table, and potentially an offhand remark to the tune of "oh yeah I guess Ul'dah is a republic now or something."

Instead she gets some actual decent character development which I honestly found pretty cool.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I enjoyed the Lady Leader Tea Party before the whole Nanamo 2.x storyline thing.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

I enjoyed the Lady Leader Tea Party before the whole Nanamo 2.x storyline thing.

Hell yeah that was a good scene

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chucat posted:

I legitimately want to say from 50 onwards (aka as soon as you get Flare), due to the Transpose changes your AoE rotation until 68 is literally.

Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Flare

You can throw a Sharpcast Thunder 2 in there but it'll get in the way of Flaring.

Disclaimer: I haven't mathed this out, it just seems like the most logical thing.

yeah i started playing the job to do as many flares as possible so i appreciate this.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I've finally finished all of my summoner quests and I'm trying the job out in EXDR and stuff. Can someone tell me if I have this right?

For groups I drop a Shadow Flare, Rouse/Devotion/Enkindle my pet, Tri-Disaster someone, Bane, Painflare, Ruin III, then Painflare again, hit DWT, Tri-Bind my way through the countdown then hit Deathflare at the last second.

For bosses, I put a Shadow Flare down, Tri-Disaster, Rouse/Devotion/Enkindle, Fester/Ruin III, until DWT, Ruin III (with available Ruin IVs thrown in) until Deathflare, Tri-Disaster again and Ruin until Aetherflow is back, then Fester/Ruin to get DWT back. Go through that to Summon/Enkindle Bahamut, and then repeat, while dodging mechanics as necessary.

Anything I'm missing?

Also, for Tri-Bind: DWT's tooltip says it increases Tri-bind potency BY 70, but Tri-bind's tooltip says DWT increases its potency by 40 (i.e. TO 70). What's what?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh, so Masha is Nashu's sister? Neat.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Leofish posted:

Also, for Tri-Bind: DWT's tooltip says it increases Tri-bind potency BY 70, but Tri-bind's tooltip says DWT increases its potency by 40 (i.e. TO 70). What's what?

It's 70 now. DWT's tooltip apparently hasn't been updated; it was 100 but they nerfed it because apparently Tribind being good violates the laws of the universe (it's still good now, but hush).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nodosaur posted:

Yep. She mentions it in older events apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59MJ9vHX-s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nodosaur posted:

I savor every reminder that the Hildibrand quests are 100% canon.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Nessus posted:

I savor every reminder that the Hildibrand quests are 100% canon.

Godbert's scene in the 4.1 main quest was bizarre in how subdued it was. I always imagined that he was in full Godbert mode all the time and yet still somehow one of the most influential men in Ul'dah. Imagine Syndicate meetings with continuous squatting.

erectoral collage
Jun 15, 2005
Just had the pleasure of being co-DPS with a wonderful NIN in The Keeper of the Lake! Here was his contribution to Magitek Gunship for example:

"it's the easiest and costs the least TP" :shepface:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rotationally isn't Bard literally the only negative-TP job?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dr Snofeld posted:

Godbert's scene in the 4.1 main quest was bizarre in how subdued it was. I always imagined that he was in full Godbert mode all the time and yet still somehow one of the most influential men in Ul'dah. Imagine Syndicate meetings with continuous squatting.

The way he says "Oh, you know my son" is so not enough. I also know your wife, your robot grandson, and what kind of underwear you prefer wearing.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bolow posted:

Rotationally isn't Bard literally the only negative-TP job?
As a Bard can confirm you slowly lose TP, but then again if you're a bard you're running poo poo with party wide MP/TP restore as well as the TP skill so even then you're always topped off unless you die.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Kinda tempted to come back to this now that I've replaced my card. Not sure how much I've missed, though. Are we on 4.1 or 4.2 now?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

The way he says "Oh, you know my son" is so not enough. I also know your wife, your robot grandson, and what kind of underwear you prefer wearing.

This is also the guy who built and runs the Gold Saucer. I think everyone in Ul'dah very politely ignores that he's batshit crazy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Godbert is very good and very into what he does.

He's also the most not-secret of Secret Santa's for St. Nymeia's day.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Jesus Christ, couldn't the second ladies' day quest have ended with a disease or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

He seems pretty restrained whenever he's dealing with business or Starlight.

erectoral collage posted:

Just had the pleasure of being co-DPS with a wonderful NIN in The Keeper of the Lake! Here was his contribution to Magitek Gunship for example:

"it's the easiest and costs the least TP" :shepface:

What the gently caress.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

Jesus Christ, couldn't the second ladies' day quest have ended with a disease or something?

What do you mean? Didn't it end with the only surviving family member having closure?

Oh wait I think I get what your saying.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Kinda tempted to come back to this now that I've replaced my card. Not sure how much I've missed, though. Are we on 4.1 or 4.2 now?

4.2 now. 4.25 soon.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

what the heck alisaie

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tangents posted:

what the heck alisaie

She's saying you have no need to because you're already strong, fashionable, and handsome. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alisaie knows that you're a cool Warrior of Light who uses the new dresser feature instead.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Wasn't that Alisaie quote actually in response to Alphinaud? Because that's completely understandable if so.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think I'm at 3.55 or something, and Alisaie is already a great character. I understand she'll be around for a while?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think I'm at 3.55 or something, and Alisae is already a great character. I understand she'll be around for a while?

She's a part of the main cast from that point on.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

She's a part of the main cast from that point on.

Yay! Wow those credits came out of nowhere. So I'm starting on 4.0 quests now!

So We never knew the real Yda, right? ARR to Omega was less than six years lore wise, yeah?

E: nevermind, talking to Tataru after the credits answered that one

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 4, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Leofish posted:

I've finally finished all of my summoner quests and I'm trying the job out in EXDR and stuff. Can someone tell me if I have this right?

For groups I drop a Shadow Flare, Rouse/Devotion/Enkindle my pet, Tri-Disaster someone, Bane, Painflare, Ruin III, then Painflare again, hit DWT, Tri-Bind my way through the countdown then hit Deathflare at the last second.

For bosses, I put a Shadow Flare down, Tri-Disaster, Rouse/Devotion/Enkindle, Fester/Ruin III, until DWT, Ruin III (with available Ruin IVs thrown in) until Deathflare, Tri-Disaster again and Ruin until Aetherflow is back, then Fester/Ruin to get DWT back. Go through that to Summon/Enkindle Bahamut, and then repeat, while dodging mechanics as necessary.

Anything I'm missing?

You can easily google guides to openers and rotations, but it sounds like you want to have some understanding of what you're doing. So let me talk you through the basics of how I think about Summoner and what the implications of that are for how you can change your rotation.

First off, two minor things:
-Rouse and Devotion don't do damage or create aggro, so you can safely use them before the pull actually starts.
-Depending on your latency, you may find that if you use Tri-Disaster and then Bane/Fester immediately the DoTs won't have registered yet and Fester won't do damage/Bane won't apply DoTs. It's safest to stick something else in between, e.g. Enkindle or Ruin II.

More generally:

1) Every moment in combat you should be either casting something on the global cooldown (Ruin III, Ruin II/IV, Bio/Miasma, or rarely Painflare) or waiting for the cooldown to end so you can cast it again. Any time you can be casting one of these spells but are instead doing nothing is a DPS loss. So your first damaging action should always be one of these GCD abilities. In almost every situation most damaging one of these is Ruin III (or IV when it procs). So that should be your default action. However, because it has a cast time outside of DWT you can't also move or, more importantly, use your instant-cast abilities ("weave your oGCDs"). So a slightly better rule of thumb is to use Ruin III if you don't have any oGCDs available and Ruin II when you want to cast an oGCD. Then the game becomes casting the smallest number of Ruin IIs necessary to do mechanics/weave in oGCDs, and casting Ruin IIIs otherwise. Of course if you have to take a GCD to apply/refresh a DoT it's worth doing so if the target will live long enough to make that a net gain over Ruin III, but most of your DoT applications should come from Tri-Disaster. (There's a caveat here which I'll talk about later).

Some examples:
-In a single-target situation where you've just used Aetherflow and now have 3 stacks, you have 3 oGCDs to cast (i.e. 3 Festers) separated by 5 seconds. (It's a slightly different situation when you have both stacks and Aetherflow available to use, like at the beginning of a trial/raid, and I'll talk about that later). Assuming this is in the middle of combat and you're following the rule above, you wove in Aetherflow after a Ruin II cast, and there's definitely time to just hit Fester immediately. (Double-weaving oGCDs is almost always easy; triple-weaving is a little trickier but can be necessary e.g. during an opener.) Now there's a new GCD starting and we have a little under 5 seconds before we can hit fest again, so we might as well hit Ruin III. After the cast time of Ruin III is up, Fester is not yet off cooldown but it will come off cooldown before a Ruin III cast would end, so we instead hit Ruin II and hit Fester when it comes off cooldown. Now back to Ruin III, etc. So the pattern is Fester- Ruin III - Ruin II - Fester - Ruin III - Ruin II - Fester and we can work in other oGCDs after Ruin IIs if we have them.
-Even if we have no Aetherflow stacks, there are occasionally other oGCDs we want to refresh, e.g. Devotion and Shadowflare. Ruin IV is free: it has more potency than Ruin III and is instant. So if your Crit is high enough you can wait for a Ruin IV to apply oGCDs like this (and if a Ruin IV procs with a few seconds left until the oGCDs come off cooldown it can make sense to wait to use it). If they're on cooldown for longer than a few seconds you want to double-weave them if possible, e.g. Rouse and Shadowflare can both be used every 60 seconds so you might as well use them both during the same GCD.
-The *single biggest thing* you can do to make your Summoner better than the typical one is use Ruin II on cooldown while doing mechanics instead of stopping casting entirely. Eventually this should just be reflexive. ABC - Always Be Casting.

2) That's how the job works on the level of individual GCDs. On the macro level, all of our cool abilities depend on spending Aetherflow stacks. So we want to do this as often as possible--Aetherflow should always be on cooldown. In particular that means we want to enter DWT with at least 18 seconds left before the Aetherflow cooldown ends, since we can't hit it *during* DWT (and there's a little bit of animation time on DWT and Deathflare so the phase takes a little longer than its nominal 16-second duration).

Subject to the rule about always keeping Aetherflow on cooldown, there are a few other priorities:
-We want to make DWT as damaging as possible. In particular we want to refresh DoTs during it since they snapshot the 10% bonus damage.
-As discussed above we want as few GCDs where we aren't casting Ruin III/IV as possible, so we want to cast Bio/Miasma as little as possible. That means getting as much mileage out of Tri-Disaster as possible, i.e. refreshing DoTs just as they're about to run out. Since we get a new use of Tri-Disaster each time we enter DWT, that means we want to wait to enter it until there are fewer than ~18 seconds left before DoTs expire (but, again, keeping Aetherflow on cooldown takes priority).
-We want Bahamut to do as much damage as possible. In particular, we want him to cast Wyrmwave as much as possible. He can cast Wyrmwave on a target every 1.5 seconds if we use an action on that target. So we want to do as many actions as possible to targets during the Bahamut phase. That means using 3 Aetherflow stacks, taking the Addle role action and using it, and making sure Tri-Disaster is available to use (which means using Bio/Miasma before summoning Bahamut if necessary to keep DoTs up). And since it can only cast every 1.5 seconds we want to make sure to go Ruin II - (wait 1.5 seconds) - oGCD - (wait 1.5 seconds) - Ruin II ... which means this is the one situation in which we want to intentionally wait a little bit before casting that second Ruin II instead of doing it as soon as it's available.

Now, there's one big place where these various priorities are in conflict--a situation at the beginning of a pull where we have 3 Aetherflow stacks and Aetherflow is off cooldown. What to do here? If we do 3 festers and a full ~18-second DWT phase it's ~29 seconds before we can hit Aetherflow again. That's one extreme. At the other extreme we could immediately burn our 3 stacks with Tri-Bind - Painflare - Fester - Energy Drain , then enter DWT and immediately Deathflare. There's a lot of math here about what's the best thing to do. The consensus seems to be to do 2 Festers and 1 Painflare to burn stacks (which takes ~6 seconds), then get out of DWT reasonably quickly. Certainly you want to at least use Tri-Disaster in DWT. Since DWT has a 20-second cooldown and it takes ~11 seconds to use 3 Festers I prefer to do 4 Ruin III/IV's + DWT + Deathflare, but I think the consensus is to get out of DWT faster than that.

Hope this helps!

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 4, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yay! Wow those credits came out of nowhere. So I'm starting on 4.0 quests now!

So We never knew the real Yda, right? ARR to Omega was less than six years lore wise, yeah?

E: nevermind, talking to Tataru after the credits answered that one

Yeah, I still think the Yda/Lyse reveal was pretty underwhelming. Like, it's not much of a reveal or surprise given that we never met the real Yda and she was never actually a character in the game. I never found "Yda" to be a very interesting character, she was basically just the comic relief. But I still don't find Lyse to be all that compelling either, despite so much of Stormblood focusing on her. Fordola's way cooler. Same with Hien and Yotsuyu though, so maybe I just like villains better.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, I still think the Yda/Lyse reveal was pretty underwhelming. Like, it's not much of a reveal or surprise given that we never met the real Yda and she was never actually a character in the game. I never found "Yda" to be a very interesting character, she was basically just the comic relief. But I still don't find Lyse to be all that compelling either, despite so much of Stormblood focusing on her. Fordola's way cooler. Same with Hien and Yotsuyu though, so maybe I just like villains better.

Yda and Papalymo were my favorites, even though I started in Ul'dah, interestingly enough. But it looks like that character is gone now, since Lyse is being herself from here on out. Its like two characters died for the price of one :(

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

jalapeno_dude posted:

-Depending on your latency, you may find that if you use Tri-Disaster and then Bane/Fester immediately the DoTs won't have registered yet and Fester won't do damage/Bane won't apply DoTs. It's safest to stick something else in between, e.g. Enkindle or Ruin II.

this is still the worst part of smn btw. i mean i tend to use something between the second dot and the bane/fester, but sometimes i forget to dump a stack and I'll try going second dot-energy drain-fester and still whiff it and have my thumb up my rear end for a minute

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ah well, in that case I can see how it would be disappointing. While I didn't particularly care for the Ala Mhigo portion of SB, I don't think it's terrible or anything, I just didn't think it was as good as HW. Although, I am starting to like what they've done with Lyse in the most recent patches, but I guess you haven't gotten there yet, so I'll leave that for you to find out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
While there's character chat, s a new player fresh to HW, and working to catch AST up to HW levels so I can resume the story, my two cents on the major characters I've encountered:

Kan-E Senna: I started in Gridania and have mostly played CNJ/WHM, but if Senna ever displayed a personality I sure didn't see it. Still better than Minfilia on the basis that she actually got off her rear end and did poo poo now and then, even if her character role was confined to peaceful, diplomatic mystic girl.

Admiral Merlwyb: Hands down my favorite character in the game so far. Badass pirate queen who doesn't hesitate to shoot people in the head, her secret boyfriend is a legendary pirate king, and one of the best voice acting jobs, what's not to like?

Sultana Nanamo: My opinion of her improved drastically when either her VA changed for 2.X or her actress consciously changed voices to sounding like an adult rather than a child. One of the few major characters to display a demonstrable character arc, and I found hers compelling. Pity how it ended.

General Raubahn: Like Senna, a cardboard cut out of a character who did what was expected of the archetype and nothing more. More lively to watch because of the archetype in question, but I didn't find him particularly interesting.

Minfilia: Professional damsel in distress who perpetually lives behind two loading screens and queen of the fetch quest. The only character I loathed more in ARR was...

Alphinaud: Redeemed solely by how ARR ended, the little shithead. What an obnoxious twat up until everything blew up in his face.

Y'shtola: The only Scion character I ended up really liking, probably because she seemed the most visibly competent. Also a rare catgirl who dresses sensibly and is never victimized.

Thancred: Who?

Yda and Papalymo: They only ever show up together, decently entertaining comic relief and nothing more.

Cid: Competent, but boring. I'd have thought a Garlean defector would shake up the story a lot, but no not so much, everyone trusts Cid immediately and he's a very boring good guy who at least has the benefit of getting poo poo done unlike some people.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

While there's character chat, s a new player fresh to HW, and working to catch AST up to HW levels so I can resume the story, my two cents on the major characters I've encountered:

Kan-E Senna: I started in Gridania and have mostly played CNJ/WHM, but if Senna ever displayed a personality I sure didn't see it. Still better than Minfilia on the basis that she actually got off her rear end and did poo poo now and then, even if her character role was confined to peaceful, diplomatic mystic girl.

Admiral Merlwyb: Hands down my favorite character in the game so far. Badass pirate queen who doesn't hesitate to shoot people in the head, her secret boyfriend is a legendary pirate king, and one of the best voice acting jobs, what's not to like?

Sultana Nanamo: My opinion of her improved drastically when either her VA changed for 2.X or her actress consciously changed voices to sounding like an adult rather than a child. One of the few major characters to display a demonstrable character arc, and I found hers compelling. Pity how it ended.

General Raubahn: Like Senna, a cardboard cut out of a character who did what was expected of the archetype and nothing more. More lively to watch because of the archetype in question, but I didn't find him particularly interesting.

Minfilia: Professional damsel in distress who perpetually lives behind two loading screens and queen of the fetch quest. The only character I loathed more in ARR was...

Alphinaud: Redeemed solely by how ARR ended, the little shithead. What an obnoxious twat up until everything blew up in his face.

Y'shtola: The only Scion character I ended up really liking, probably because she seemed the most visibly competent. Also a rare catgirl who dresses sensibly and is never victimized.

Yda and Papalymo: They only ever show up together, decently entertaining comic relief and nothing more.

Cid: Competent, but boring. I'd have thought a Garlean defector would shake up the story a lot, but no not so much, everyone trusts Cid immediately and he's a very boring good guy who at least has the benefit of getting poo poo done unlike some people.

HW is basically Alphinaud: The character arc, so I hope your opinion of him improves as he matures.

I blame my hatred of Minfilia entirely on her VA(s) and unfortunately Merlwyb losses her VA, but she's still a badass and the new voice isn't bad. Kan E definitely needs some more action scenes cause we get it, she's the peaceful ruler master politician of ceremony.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The thing with Cid is that he defected...before 1.0 even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Yeah you get a bit more of him if you start in Uldah but the whole ascian thing puts a damper on getting to know him. he gets more interesting though still an archetype