Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Got my Brawler64 controller today. The joystick feels pretty great but the octagonal gate is horrible for sniping in Goldeneye. You'll go to move to a corner of hte screen and it will catch on one of the corners and will stop, creating a dead zone. However, you can compensate for that. It is nice otherwise.

I did have the game freeze on me twice. Both times I was shooting with the rumble pak in, and it would do a partial rumble (say 1/2 the normal vibration) and then the game froze. I am not sure if the controller is capable of creating that freeze or not. I have not been able to replicate. I also had power issues all day with the high winds from nor'easter, so maybe they were mini surges or dips in power that caused it? I dunno. Will do some more testing.

I like it over all. If they created a "shooter" version with a less pronounced octagonal gate or just a round one, I'd buy that over this one. However, for things like smash and left/right movement racing games, the gate won't affect you. I need to test on more games that require 360 movement (like spin attacks in Zelda).

edit: Just tried it with Zelda, and boy is it noisy hitting all of those corners on the octagonal gate when doing spin attacks. I imagine Mario Party would sound like spinning a ratchet around in circles or these guys. I really hope they release a rounded one when they do the transparent colors. I will make sure to send them feedback in that regard. I get wanting the octagon for stuff like Smash (it is the Brawler after all), but most other things would have been fine with a rounded one, or much less pronounced octagon. The original one was nothing like this.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

general chaos posted:

I am going to be picking up a Trinitron soon (KV-27FV16) and I plan on connecting a PS2, original Xbox, Wii, Dreamcast and Saturn

I've never dealt with a flat panel CRT before, but I had heard they could have some geometry issues. How can I test this and is there anything else I should be looking at before I pack it up?

Cornflakes posted:

Voultar’s gonna start selling pre-modded Saturns soon, maybe I’ll finally get one. I’ve never even played one I don’t think but the library seems worth delving into.

Have a KV 27FS101 and I really like it. Good quality scanlines. Imperfect geometry but not the kind of stuff you notice when you’re not looking for it. Also it handles 480i really well I’ve found, so if it has YPbPr and you’re a PS2 fan I’d say go for it.

Ya, my KV27FS120 has some geometry issues at the bottom of the screen, any text box borders or banners towards the bottom will have a slightly curved look at the bottom middle, but it isnt always noticeable. I tried messing with service settings using various patterns, but couldn't get it any better so put them back to default. Prob would need a magnet or something I dont care enough to do.

Someone in my area had 3 20" PVMs available, they wanted $550/each but I said sorry my top end was $200 but to keep me in mind if they dont move, and they said I may hear from them soon. So holding out hope... well, some hope.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Woah there, it matters a whole lot for Mischief Makers and Sin and Punishment! :goonsay:

Treasure and wrestling games were good at reminding people the N64 had a d-pad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FireMrshlBill posted:

Got my Brawler64 controller today. The joystick feels pretty great but the octagonal gate is horrible for sniping in Goldeneye. You'll go to move to a corner of hte screen and it will catch on one of the corners and will stop, creating a dead zone. However, you can compensate for that. It is nice otherwise.

I did have the game freeze on me twice. Both times I was shooting with the rumble pak in, and it would do a partial rumble (say 1/2 the normal vibration) and then the game froze. I am not sure if the controller is capable of creating that freeze or not. I have not been able to replicate. I also had power issues all day with the high winds from nor'easter, so maybe they were mini surges or dips in power that caused it? I dunno. Will do some more testing.

I like it over all. If they created a "shooter" version with a less pronounced octagonal gate or just a round one, I'd buy that over this one. However, for things like smash and left/right movement racing games, the gate won't affect you. I need to test on more games that require 360 movement (like spin attacks in Zelda).

edit: Just tried it with Zelda, and boy is it noisy hitting all of those corners on the octagonal gate when doing spin attacks. I imagine Mario Party would sound like spinning a ratchet around in circles or these guys. I really hope they release a rounded one when they do the transparent colors. I will make sure to send them feedback in that regard. I get wanting the octagon for stuff like Smash (it is the Brawler after all), but most other things would have been fine with a rounded one, or much less pronounced octagon. The original one was nothing like this.

I can confirm most of this. Haven’t tried a rumble pack yet but the comments section on the Kickstarter shows other people seeing the same thing you did with lockup’s after a partial rumble. I don’t think it was the nor’easter.

You can see above the stick goes out beyond a normal controller. Which is better than not going as far as the stock controller.

You can see above here that the travel is a bit wonky on the left side of the stick. See how there are two separate tracks there? One is from moving the stick clockwise, one is from going counterclockwise. I don’t know enough yet about if this has any effect in game. Since the stick goes out beyond the bounds of a stock controller, it might not matter at all.

The stick absolutely nails one thing though, and that’s returning to center, no matter how hard you use the stick, how crazy you go, it snaps right back to a 0,0 position on the x,y.

Overall, it feels good and works good from my limited experience

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 3, 2018

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Is it just the rumble pak causing crashes or does it also crash on memory pak access?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seems to be rumble only at this point, based on comments in the Kickstarter. I can’t test it as I don’t have any rumble packs.

It’s also not every rumble pack every time. I don’t think the root cause has been identified yet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can also confirm that the z triggers register pretty early in the pull. It still might take some getting used to though. I also don’t know how it will handle games that require you to rapidly press z

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can see above here that the travel is a bit wonky on the left side of the stick. See how there are two separate tracks there? One is from moving the stick clockwise, one is from going counterclockwise. I don’t know enough yet about if this has any effect in game. Since the stick goes out beyond the bounds of a stock controller, it might not matter at all.

The stick absolutely nails one thing though, and that’s returning to center, no matter how hard you use the stick, how crazy you go, it snaps right back to a 0,0 position on the x,y.

Overall, it feels good and works good from my limited experience

That is exactly where I was having issues with sniping in Goldeneye, slightly below the top left corner. There was a point where you are holding it all the way in that direction and it didn't move but if you rotate slight more up or slightly more left it would start moving again. At first I thought I misremembered Goldeneye and that there were limits to panning while looking through a scope, but then when I went in another direction I realized it was the controller.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cornflakes posted:

Can anyone point me to a good HDMI to SDI adaptor for use with a multiformat PVM?

Also, I should've mentioned earlier that AJA is a fairly high end converter. If you just want something cheap, there's always Monoprice which is probably the best and cheapest site for a consumer to buy SDI related gear from:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10318&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpfnm_9DQ2QIVElmGCh3EPg5WEAYYASABEgLrgPD_BwE

Their stuff is cheap but it also may crap out on you after 6 months, but that's what you get for something that's $20 versus $350.

Also, like Kthulhu5000 said there are different standards of SDI both for converters as well as the cables themselves. The main divisions are SDI, HD/SDI, and 3G HD/SDI. You're going to want a converter that does 3G HD/SDI and to be honest it'd be pretty odd if you even found a standard SDI-HDMI converter. The reason being that 3G HD/SDI allows you to get full 1080p 60pfs, whereas non-3G HD/SDI can only get up to 1080i.

There's also 6G and 12G SDI but that's not something you'll really need to worry about.

Lastly, one other thing this converter doesn't do that the AJA and other high end converters do is there is no separate audio out, the audio is only transmitted via the HDMI signal whereas the AJA converter has separate L-R RCA outputs for audio if needed. This is something you can tell by looking at any converter, with the Monoprice's output side on the top and the AJA converter's output on the bottom:

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 3, 2018

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The AC port on my SNES broke! Well, half broke. Part of it is still in there so it works, but it's just a matter of time before that falls off. Is there anyone reliable online who repairs those? It's my childhood SNES and I'd like to keep it in working condition, since it has no other problems and I've got an awful lot of SNES games to play.

I was thinking of grabbing the retrovision cables when those come back in stock and this throws a weird wrench in that plan.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 3, 2018

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Kelp Plankton posted:

The AC port on my SNES broke! Well, half broke. Part of it is still in there so it works, but it's just a matter of time before that falls off. Is there anyone reliable online who repairs those? It's my childhood SNES and I'd like to keep it in working condition, since it has no other problems and I've got an awful lot of SNES games to play.

https://console5.com/store/snes-super-nintendo-power-input-jack-replacement.html

I don't think its a super difficult repair, you could probably do it yourself if you have basic soldering skills.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 3, 2018

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I was thinking of grabbing the retrovision cables when those cone back in stock and this throws a weird wrench in that plan.

Contact MonitorBurn on here. They do great mods, and I'd imagine could repair that as well.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Kelp Plankton posted:

I was thinking of grabbing the retrovision cables when those cone back in stock and this throws a weird wrench in that plan.

Miles McCloud posted:

https://console5.com/store/snes-super-nintendo-power-input-jack-replacement.html

I don't think its a super difficult repair, you could probably do it yourself if you have basic soldering skills.

I did this very fix. Only the most basic of soldering skill. Ridiculously easy fix.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Working on softmodding my XBOX. The guide I'm using says I should drag and drop an NTSC folder of some kind into the drive via Xplorer360, but I can't find anything in the included ZIP actually labelled "NTSC", so I must be missing something. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A wild successful kickstarter appears!!!

Mine came yesterday too. Are all the Kickstarter ones just gray? I know it wasn't one of my preferences in the survey.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I picked up a Super Nintendo Classic a few weeks ago, but honestly I've been having a blast using its controllers with SNES9x GX on my Wii. I've had a Wii Classic Controller for years but for some reason the real controllers make a difference--they just feel right.

The Classic itself is great, but it's missing some games and, although I dumped the ROMs, I'm not really interested in hacking it further. With the Wii I can use the controllers wirelessly too which is a big help. I haven't tried the 8bitdo ones to see how close they are but this is a pretty solid setup. Plus whatever mode SNES9x is doing (not sure if it's 240p or double-scanned 480p) works great with the component inputs on my 10 year old TV.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Mine came yesterday too. Are all the Kickstarter ones just gray? I know it wasn't one of my preferences in the survey.

Yep. Survey was for future colors, they are doing the top 2 (black and atomic purple) and will try to do top 4 or 5. We’ll get codes next week to get a colored one at the Kickstarter price of $20 instead of the $25 or $30 retail price.

I plan to get purple and maybe gold if they get that far, was 5th place. Especially if they offer a round gate option.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Yep. Survey was for future colors, they are doing the top 2 (black and atomic purple) and will try to do top 4 or 5. We’ll get codes next week to get a colored one at the Kickstarter price of $20 instead of the $25 or $30 retail price.

I plan to get purple and maybe gold if they get that far, was 5th place. Especially if they offer a round gate option.

I'm really hoping the colors, or at least the shells, come out in Smash player colors to match my old N64 set. Even better if they do the translucent ones (Extreme Green substituting for yellow). And even better still if there's a translucent white back so I can match my clear blue/white N64.

If the gate is a problem, I wonder if it'd be possible to open up the controller and just file down the shell to round it out. Mine showed up today, but I haven't been home yet to get a good look at them. I didn't think it'd be a problem since the original N64 stick had an octagonal well, but maybe something is a little bit off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FireMrshlBill posted:

That’s awesome I’ll definitely buy another at that price.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lizard Wizard posted:

Working on softmodding my XBOX. The guide I'm using says I should drag and drop an NTSC folder of some kind into the drive via Xplorer360, but I can't find anything in the included ZIP actually labelled "NTSC", so I must be missing something. Can someone point me in the right direction?

That's because those files are what were inside of the NTSC folder originally, just copy that udata folder entirely to the drive.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well that's done, but my Xbox displays the save as corrupted. No option to copy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got my N64 controller in today and it's very nice. Played some Mario Kart 64 and it felt very responsive there.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FireMrshlBill posted:

Oh okay. That works I guess. Atomic Purple was one I wanted.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

I'm really hoping the colors, or at least the shells, come out in Smash player colors to match my old N64 set. Even better if they do the translucent ones (Extreme Green substituting for yellow). And even better still if there's a translucent white back so I can match my clear blue/white N64.

If the gate is a problem, I wonder if it'd be possible to open up the controller and just file down the shell to round it out. Mine showed up today, but I haven't been home yet to get a good look at them. I didn't think it'd be a problem since the original N64 stick had an octagonal well, but maybe something is a little bit off.

It’s not a huge problem, it just feels weird on a modern style stick and is definitely more pronounced than the N64 controller. It does cause some issues with stuff like fine aiming in a FPS but probably a problem otherwise. Ya, I think you can file it down, but they originally designed it as a normal round gate, but after enough requests they went to octagonal and that’s why it was delayed a few months. So hoping they have the designs for the original round version close enough to finished product so they could manufacture both.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does the legit arcade board for zerowing flash the screen red when you kill an enemy? I'm playing in mame-2003 on retropie and it's doing that, and seems like it's an emulation related glitch but I've never played the real thing so I have no idea.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I picked up a Super Nintendo Classic a few weeks ago, but honestly I've been having a blast using its controllers with SNES9x GX on my Wii. I've had a Wii Classic Controller for years but for some reason the real controllers make a difference--they just feel right.

The Classic itself is great, but it's missing some games and, although I dumped the ROMs, I'm not really interested in hacking it further. With the Wii I can use the controllers wirelessly too which is a big help. I haven't tried the 8bitdo ones to see how close they are but this is a pretty solid setup. Plus whatever mode SNES9x is doing (not sure if it's 240p or double-scanned 480p) works great with the component inputs on my 10 year old TV.

I think emulators on the Wii can output in 240p. A modded Wii is a pretty fantastic emulation box

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Does the legit arcade board for zerowing flash the screen red when you kill an enemy? I'm playing in mame-2003 on retropie and it's doing that, and seems like it's an emulation related glitch but I've never played the real thing so I have no idea.

yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gChUOuVUU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tried the Brawler64 on some more games. Works fine on Mario64. However, for 1080 Snowboarding, trying to do a 720 or above was a chore. No freezes since the two that first day. Unloading double guns on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark has not caused it since.

I started using the L button for aiming since using the right Z trigger doesn’t interfere with aiming like using the left Z (caused my finger to move the analog stick slightly). But if I hold down L and push the analog stick to the upper left, I can feel L button move.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 4, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a dumb question, but do receivers introduce a perceivable amount of lag in general? I remember googling it at some point but got very inconsistent answers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A/V receivers? Good ones usually don’t but I’ve seen some that add a noticeable large amount of lag. Usually an A/V receivers job is just to keep the audio and video in sync, it usually doesn’t matter how long they take to do that, so some of them are quite laggy

I had an onkyo that I’m not kidding added half a second of lag

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
They tend to have settings to add lag if you choose to sync up audio to your display since that's usually where video lag is added.

I think they introduced an HDMI audio sync thing in HDMI like 8yrs ago though in whatever came after HDMI 1.3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah this is mine: https://docs.sony.com/release//STRDH520.pdf , and it does have an A/V synch option (page 59). But it seems to be in reference to delaying the audio as falz mentions. My primary concern is of course whether the video signal has a significant amount added to it on the way to the television. I definitely like having an A/V receiver on hand because it's a convenient HDMI switch and the speakers on my TV are terrible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have any consoles capable of homebrew, display lag tester roms are pretty common

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So last night I finally got around to hooking up, and configuring, the RetroTink RGB board for my raspberry pi.

I need to figure out a new case solution, the cases I have won't accommodate that behemoth. Thinking about getting an extender cable for the GPIO pins and making a little box for it to sit beside the pi.

Anyway, I decided to try it with SoTN, and...

(click for massive)

... words and cell phone pictures can't do this justice, at all. Holy poo poo it is beautiful. I'm still tweaking the settings, but... holy poo poo. Snagging that Ikegami was entirely worth it.

I want to pick up the other RetroTink board now, that has composite/component/svideo/RGB, so I can stop using HDMI-to-X converter boxes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you have any consoles capable of homebrew, display lag tester roms are pretty common
I did a few months ago, but sadly sold off my original Wii with the HBC.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nate RFB posted:

I did a few months ago, but sadly sold off my original Wii with the HBC.

can't you find working wiis in the literal trash nowadays? the exploit for HBC is piss easy, too

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I just picked up a Sega Genesis. It came with a third party controller. Does anyone make quality reproduction controllers or should I get some used original ones? 3 or 6 buttons, doesn't matter.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

GutBomb posted:

Dunno about retropie mame, but on PC there's a cheat available to turn that off if it bothers you. If I ever saw the game in an arcade I would not be able to play it, I can't stand the red flash.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

I just picked up a Sega Genesis. It came with a third party controller. Does anyone make quality reproduction controllers or should I get some used original ones? 3 or 6 buttons, doesn't matter.

Get a used original 6 button controller, but you want this one:

not this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

d0s posted:

Get a used original 6 button controller, but you want this one:

not this one

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll go check out a local game store. What's wrong with the second one?

I found this while looking for controllers. Looks promising:

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/969730392868737025