Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Helion posted:

Archive: So we need you to protect this very important train.

Blitzkrieg: (long, hard stare)

Yeah, I...don't take train missions as Blitzkreig anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I found a relic in a mountain but I didn't have any moves left to grab it :mad:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Woo, starting to get those normal victories. Though they tend to be only 2 island ones. Just got a Hazard Team victory that I was all eager to mop up with after I had a really loving good ice island first (perfected island and got a passive global HP item which does wonders for their survivability), thought the temperate island would be a good place to power up more and utterly whiffed it, crawling out with only 5 stars. Sure as hell wasn't confident enough after that performance and moved to the end-game.

Also, holy poo poo, the ice island has it's own unique boss in the form of a vek controlled robot.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chard posted:

I found a relic in a mountain but I didn't have any moves left to grab it :mad:

I've had this happen enough times that next time I have the opportunity I will tank the entire run just to start picking them up. Easy as normal is, it is incredibly well balanced for giving you just the amount of moves you generally need to accomplish the mission, making it annoying to actively pursue mountain destruction.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

I've had this happen enough times that next time I have the opportunity I will tank the entire run just to start picking them up.

Hope you don't find it on the very last turn then.

You need at least one turn for the FTL pod to spawn.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Toadsmash posted:

I don't even see the difference with that "high threat" tag most of the time. Best I can guess, all it really means is probably a slightly higher chance of alpha vek replacing normal spawns. Game has tremendous difficulty variance from one mission to the next, but that's based primarily on map layouts and vek choice of targets. I've been trying to pay attention to those missions to figure out what the difference really is and it just doesn't feel meaningful.
High threat just means there's at least one guaranteed Alpha at the start of the mission. The game explains it if you mouse over the text.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Alkydere posted:

Hope you don't find it on the very last turn then.

You need at least one turn for the FTL pod to spawn.

I found it on my last movement turn by pushing a guy into a rock, grabbed it with another guy, got a message about a beacon being sent or something, and on the cleanup action phase a pod fell and I didn't have to grab it but got the pilot

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I found it on my last movement turn by pushing a guy into a rock, grabbed it with another guy, got a message about a beacon being sent or something, and on the cleanup action phase a pod fell and I didn't have to grab it but got the pilot

Oh...right you get pods for free if they're alive at the end.

Also, I have 2/3 FTL pilots but I have yet to see the armor pilot. I want him so bad because he'll make so many mechs good (though the Rockman one does much the same job by simply gifting an excess of HP)

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The shield tank is a nice little companion for the zenith charge mech if you can swing it. Just have it follow the charger around so it can put the wheels to vek without fear, plus you can have it run off and protect something more important if the need arises.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It is insanely inefficient to use two mechs to do one 2 HP attack. The charge mech really makes best sense if you have someone like Harold so you have it do something useful while repairing, or if you have a way of avoiding the damage for free.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for hazard, you can burn your last 1-2 hp with self damage and not die if you kill something

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fangz posted:

It is insanely inefficient to use two mechs to do one 2 HP attack. The charge mech really makes best sense if you have someone like Harold so you have it do something useful while repairing, or if you have a way of avoiding the damage for free.

It's not quite as bad if you can hit something else with the shield (allied unit, city, other mech) but I'm not disagreeing. I got a normal Zenith run by putting the Rockman on the charge tank which gave me HP to spare/not care about.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

for hazard, you can burn your last 1-2 hp with self damage and not die if you kill something

Yup, it's hilarious watching your jump mech live, die, live again (WITNESS MEEEE!) multiple turns in a row. It also means the self destruct item is suddenly very good for a 1-a-battle nuke since it doesn't do damage, it casts instant death.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FreeKillB posted:

I think 4th island is easier most of the time if you've been staying ahead of the curve.

I feel that there is definitely a variance in how stressful a given turn is. A number of missions are just pure cleanup with 2 or fewer vek on the field for the last couple turns. Also, sometimes you have entirely easy missions like when Vek run straight into landmines or when you fire the ridiculous Detritus acid launcher. Granted, these kind of breaks are less likely when you're beelining for the 'High Threat' missions.

Just finished a Zenith squad game, would have been a 3xPerfect Island run except I had a brain fart and forgot that I was on a 'fewer than 4 mech damage' mission. Zenith feels a bit like the inversion of the Steel Judoka: they have relatively less flexibility in terms of repositioning enemies, but they have a lot of raw damage. I think this means that they have a pretty strong early game but they fall off unless you get some replacement weapons for extra tactical flexibility. A rundown:

-Laser mech: Notable as one of the few mechs that doesn't have any ability to re-position enemies in its starting kit. The laser is really good at killing early enemies, and if you upgrade it ASAP it will have great killing power in island 2. You can get extra damage if the enemies line themselves up for you, or you can use the other two mechs to set up a linear death zone. The effectiveness starts to fall off later when the basic Vek are mostly replaced by alphas, since even the upgraded 4 damage won't one-shot a lot of potential threats. The other big issue is that the 'Allies Immune' upgrade only affects units, not buildings, so positioning becomes tricky, unless you are spending actions to shield those buildings.

-Charge mech: I haven't tried using this guy with any pilot other than Abe (if you're doing a custom squad with the charge mech and the hook mech they can swap weapons so the armored mech gets the charge). My experience was that he did reliable damage from the get-go, but when I upgraded his attack fully (ie, including the +1 to both self and target) I needed a +HP boost in order to not run out of juice (I also installed an base Taurus cannon to have at least one non self-harming option in battle). Doing 4 damage with a charge was ultimately worth it, but if I didn't have Abe then 4 damage for 2 self-damage would be really painful to use. I think the design of the squad intends for you to shield this guy before he charges, but that has very poor action economy unless things are set up juuuust right.

-Defense mech: This guy starts off with a lot of utility but like many science mechs you're going to have turns where he's not really providing that much value. The pull is one of the most limited powers in the game (comparable to the gravity mech's pull cannon, which doesn't need direct LOS but can't pull adjacent targets), and while the shield is good at mitigating damage, it cannot remove Vek from the field. I guess if you upgrade the range of the shield you have a better likelihood of being able to shield both the charge mech (especially if no Abe) and a relevantly threatened building in one shot, which is ... ok. Compare this to the upgraded pulse mech, which can push enemies at the same time it's shielding itself and/or others. I splurged on the fire artillery weapon for the final battle, which was noticeably better at moving enemies around than the starting pull beam.

Note that a squad that starts with a strong earlygame but falls of later (like the Zenith Guard) is probably superior to a late blooming squad (like the Steel Judoka imo), since if you do well enough you'll have enough reputation to switch your loadout as needed by the third island or so.
Yeah I also forget DONT TAKE 4 MECH DAMAGE objectives and gently caress myself. One cool thing I learned is if you repair (in my case, I used the full-global repair) it resets it which utterly saved my Perfect Island once.

On Laser, I agree. It's definitely an early-game beast. One way I found to play Zenith is to grab ACID gun on Science ASAP, of course theres a lot of luck here but I've seen it fairly common. This adds a much better Push + double damage which lets your Laser guy murder people with 8-HP in a single blast if you want, and the push is so much better than a Pull (imo). Replacing that Pull, while not awful and useful, is mandatory.

On Charge mech, I have not unlocked Abe yet (god damnit), so I definitely don't bother upgrading damage until later. I think 3 Cores for +1 damage is pretty poo poo on him, and even the double core for +1/-1 is really gimp, I think there could use some slight reworking in that department. But getting that +2HP is one of my first Reactor Upgrades I do since it's invaluable to making him not suck since having to spend a round to repair is incredibly painful and dangerous.

That Shield is really good on Def and learning to shield right is vital. My first up on him is +1 Use.

But yeah it's definitely better starting. The hardest part is positioning is vital so you also really need +move ASAP or else you'll get into a lot of situations where you cant position yourself to deal with something. Probably a 3-island run is about their peak.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does the train take damage if it gets set on fire? Asking for my friend the flamethrower mech. I was sort of surprised when I found out buildings don't.

First pod I picked up this game gave my artillery mech a fire bomb. :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

NmareBfly posted:

Does the train take damage if it gets set on fire? Asking for my friend the flamethrower mech. I was sort of surprised when I found out buildings don't.

First pod I picked up this game gave my artillery mech a fire bomb. :getin:
No it doesn't

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I meant the little tankette weapon. You can still use it to shield important things, but if there's nothing pressing it's nice to prevent attrition on your charger.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I...don't take train missions as Blitzkreig anymore.
You really need to be careful about your missions as Team Friendly Fire (for instance, you might just choose to skip Archive, Inc altogether). They're also pretty sensitive to enemy HP totals, I chose Pinnacle for my first island since every single standard enemy had 2 hp or less, and it was ridiculous.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

No it doesn't

Those rockets you have to protect do though! It's kind of inconsistent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
deployable shield tank is pro as gently caress. i buy it whenever i see it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

note to self, the rockets are vulnerable to cloud stuns. I "lost" a satellite despite it never taking damage. It also never launched from the pad which should have clued me in.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, fun fact about the Healing Nanite Passive + Self Destruct:

It does NOT work if your mech is flying over a void tile. Your Mech falls off the map and cannot be healed by the nanite BS.

Likewise, Flying units will fall to their death if frozen over water/void.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Putting Bethany into the cryo launcher is filthy

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

In my very first run I completed all four islands and made it all the way through to the final enemy turn of the second stage of the final battle. I don't know if there's a third stage but if I had taken exactly one less grid damage or gained exactly one more along the way I would have made it :negative:

This almost happened to me last night! I was on my first time through the game. Normal difficulty; did all four islands. At the 2nd stage of the last boss, I hadn't noticed a tentacle grab, which killed my artillery mech. Things went south pretty quick and at the end of the last turn I found myself with two energy left and two attacks about to hit (unavoidably). Each one had a 26% chance to be resisted, giving me a 45% chance to win the game. And... the first attack was resisted, winning me the game! It felt so good.

I'm out of town for the weekend and I am so upset that I can't install this on my macbook so I can keep playing. Now I have to wait until Monday night...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On the final battle, when the tooltip says "this will destroy the unit on the tile", they mean it. I was experimenting to see if ice gives you a free pass like it does with other damage and NOPE.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Chard posted:

Putting Bethany into the cryo launcher is filthy

I put the mantis in the cryo-launcher. The Vek never expect a sneak surprise from within the ice. :black101: Bethany's in the Nano-Mech spitting acid and keeping everyone alive (doing an all flyer run. Fighter jet, acid-nano spitter, and Cryo-artillery with the mantis in it...it's going very, VERY well).

double nine posted:

On the final battle, when the tooltip says "this will destroy the unit on the tile", they mean it. I was experimenting to see if ice gives you a free pass like it does with other damage and NOPE.

For reference, any tile with a skull means "YOU ARE loving DEAD!" Ice and shields do NOTHING.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The swapping weapon between hook mech and charge mech is a good catch. Although the ram costs a power to activate so you'll probably need a veteran pilot that gives one reactor core. You can do similar thing with the judo mech and leap mech as well.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 4, 2018

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

double nine posted:

note to self, the rockets are vulnerable to cloud stuns. I "lost" a satellite despite it never taking damage. It also never launched from the pad which should have clued me in.

This also applies to Ice.

You can freeze the train and still complete the objective tho. Don't know about stun cloud.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:laffo:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

deployable shield tank is pro as gently caress. i buy it whenever i see it.

A.C.I.D tank or bust :getin:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea PSA: swap out the cryo weapon for the last mission unless you have a way to not self-freeze. The random environmental hazards are too significant to risk immobility.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wats the best squad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

wats the best squad

Of the pre-built ones? The Smoke squad is probably the most instantly strong and only gets stronger.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ImpAtom posted:

Of the pre-built ones? The Smoke squad is probably the most instantly strong and only gets stronger.

ya they feel strong as hell, the pulse dude seem like the weaklink whats a replacement or also who is a good pilot for the smoke boys

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Did someone mention you dont need to fully kill the mountains to expose the FTL pods because theres a shining light you can see at half broken? I know that it works that way for the ice tiles is it'll have a blinking yellow light underneath at half-broken but wasnt sure if Im wasting my time only half-killing mountains

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

In the final turn of a fight, do any enemies that aren't attacking stay until the entire enemy attack phase is over? Or do enemies with no attack command already retreat during the attack phase? My smoke boy run has been perfect so far and I might just perfect island 4 as well but everything is coming down to the wire here. How this one bit works could determine everything. :shepface:

E:

KyloWinter posted:

ya they feel strong as hell, the pulse dude seem like the weaklink whats a replacement or also who is a good pilot for the smoke boys

I ended up by accident with Abe(pilot with natural armor), so I jammed him into the pushbot. Lots of one damage hits in this game, so now he can use pushbot to just cockblock things left and right. While the shield upgrades to the pushes are fantastic, He's the first on the list for an overhaul if you find something nice. I found boosters. They're free to use(no energy core) and let you leap in a straight line from one side of the field to the other, pushing things away on impact. On pushbot this is insane. He's everywhere and no where. And then I found a gun that deals 1 damage to self while 2 to the enemy. Well.. abe doesn't care about self damage. So now I have a hyperactive spiderbot with a giant gently caress-off cannon.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 4, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Having fooled around with it a lot:

The Judo squad really feels like it's missing damage. Its big gimmick is supposed to be repositioning for extra damage but that's unreliable enough and their initial control so weak that they feel really unsatisfying even with upgrades. I feel like they either need a stronger start or better upgrades to really feel satisfying to play because their gimmick is extremely cool when it works but it doesn't work so often without much to back it up. The other gimmick-heavy classes feel like they're a lot more reliable while having better-or-comparable damage.

If I had to do a quick fix that wasn't just damage upping, I'd say allowing the Judo Mech's basic ability to either allow you to throw one enemy into another to damage both or to choose where you drop the enemy for easier repositioning.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

Whaaat, pulse dude starts out strong and gets crazy strong with the shields-on-demand upgrades.

On my last smokeboys run I started with Isaac (2 resets per battle) in the rocket mech, and I lucked into getting Camila (ignores webs & smoke) for the jet mech and Archimedes (move again after actions) in the repulse mech. They were loving unstoppable.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea PSA: swap out the cryo weapon for the last mission unless you have a way to not self-freeze. The random environmental hazards are too significant to risk immobility.

Back at ya: A flying mech with the cryo weapon can fire it over lava, and the frozen iceburg will fall into the lava, instantly melt, and free your mech.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Blitzkrieg is a really wacky squad. I finally got the triple perfect island achievement, and somehow never lost any civilians. I did let an attack in on the final mission but by that point I hit my 31% resist, which was so high because I had been going for easy (power-giving) missions. I was sick of being one objective shy of that triple perfect island achievement. The standout opportunity cost was a defense lab + train mission, which I was not touching with a ten-foot pole with these guys. I think the squad is pretty strong but really wants some utility options eventually. Breakdown:

Lightning Mech: The turns where you suddenly see a move that nearly kills all of your other mechs but also kills every Vek in a chain are hella rad. The downside is that you constantly have to double check every plan you make to ensure that you aren't accidentally killing friendly units. I got a Mercury Fist as a reward, which would have been a useful backup in case I wanted a way of doing non-chaining damage. Never ended up actually using it, though. If you don't get anything new I think you will run into trouble if you can only do 3 damage at a time. I managed to get an acid tankette equipped on my Hook Mech, which made chewing through larger HP pools a lot more manageable.

Hook Mech: A Brute mech that behaves like a Science mech, this guy felt like the weak link. Very early on he was useful in setting up attack chains with the Lightning mech, but overall using the hook seems really underwhelming, even with the 'shield allies' upgrade. I ended up rotating my pilots a bit because this guy got basically no kills whereas the Lightning mech was just swimming in XP. Armor is OK for taking hits, but taking hits is no substitute for removing threats form the board. Maybe I wasn't paying enough specific attention, but I hardly ever saw opportunities to hook enemies into death squares, whereas with push powers it seems a lot more common. I put the acid tankette on this guy because on another mech deploying the tank would have been in lieu of an actually useful attack. I bought the cannon that does damage based on range on him for the final fight, and it felt better but I was doing well enough that it was not a terribly rigorous comparison.

Boulder Mech: Artillery units are apparently all quite good. Does reasonable damage, has pushing capability, and you can use the boulder itself to block spawns or set up sick lightning chains. This is the only mech in this squad where I was fundamentally happy leaving him with the starting loadout.

These guys are quite good at killing everything in 1 turn, but are not recommended for pretty much any of the escort missions. I would expect that this is the easiest squad to dismantle the spider queen or the blob (neither of which were available), since their crowd control against tightly-packed groups of weak foes is just absurd.

I think I've reached the point where I'm going to try jumping up to Hard for a while. Normal is starting to feel a bit too routine if I aim for optimal play. I guess I could try some of the nastier challenge achievements, too, but I would rather play a full game with each default squad first to figure out who to use for what.

Xaris posted:

Did someone mention you dont need to fully kill the mountains to expose the FTL pods because theres a shining light you can see at half broken? I know that it works that way for the ice tiles is it'll have a blinking yellow light underneath at half-broken but wasnt sure if Im wasting my time only half-killing mountains
You need to fully kill the mountain to get the beacon, but you only need to hit a mountain once to see if it has a beacon, as long as you're looking for the right yellow glow. You can check this Steam guide if you're not sure what to look for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FreeKillB posted:

You need to fully kill the mountain to get the beacon, but you only need to hit a mountain once to see if it has a beacon, as long as you're looking for the right yellow glow. You can check this Steam guide if you're not sure what to look for.
I literally just saw it and answered my question, on my last wave and it had already ended :sigh: gently caress!