Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
Only one thing to say about this bonus boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
On the topic of BoaW remixes, somebody made the thread's fondest wish come true.

Congrats to Seshoho Cian, and apologies if someone already posted this and I missed it when I checked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can only assume the reason Yoko Taro wasn't part of that bonus boss fight is because it wouldn't be acceptable unless he was hooked up to life support and actually killed by the first player in the world to beat the fight :yokotaro:.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i imagine the real reason is because taro yoko knows people want to beat him up for all the troll moments hes created and the last thing he wants to do is give the player what they actually want.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

On the topic of BoaW remixes, somebody made the thread's fondest wish come true.

Congrats to Seshoho Cian, and apologies if someone already posted this and I missed it when I checked.

Oh my god, I have the exact kind of friends that will LOVE this! Great find!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

EclecticTastes posted:

Dear God...

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CLII: Spawn Goddammit!

Music: Significance

The DLC is well and truly done now. Which means all that remains in NieR: Automata is mopping up the final two sidequests. That also means we finally need to face the great evil that is the Reconnaissance Squad quest... If you’ll recall, this quest requires obtaining a certain threshold of completion rate on Unit Data of enemies (and occasional quest giving allies, but we're well beyond that point.) We’ve done all but one other sidequest in the game. We must surely be there, right...?

gently caress my life... Welp. Having done everything in the game other than one sidequest (which does actually constitute 1% of Unit Data) we’ve still got 9% of enemies left unaccounted for in our collection. Thankfully, we only need to make it to 95% to complete this quest. Only madmen go for a full 100% completion rate considering there are multiple enemies that have a 1% chance of spawning in a very specific spot at a very specific point in the game.

So how long could getting that extra 4% take, you ask...?

FOUR AND A HALF loving HOURS!

Music: Possessed by Disease (Become as Gods)

You see, not all percentages are created equally. There are 100 entries total in Unit Data. But entries for common machines are also split between different variations of that machine. For instance, did you know there are Medium Flyer Desert Units? You never see them normally. They’re all rare spawns in the Desert Zone. The Gunner version and Kamikaze x2/Gunner x2 versions are both rare spawns in Route C on some cliffs to the east of the Oil Field Access Point. And by rare I mean there’s a 10-20% chance of either version appearing. Leaving a very good chance for gently caress all to be there as well. This took me a good hour plus to get these two.

There’s also a chance for the Kamikaze exclusive version to appear in the same place. Except the DLC apparently broke that spawn so it only appears specifically (still with a low random chance) during Route B, Chapter 10-3 – the part where Eve is going on a rampage and you’re meant to go take out the machines trying to break into Pascal’s Village from the City Ruins. It’s one of the few times in the game it really feels like there should be a bad ending for pissing off but nope! Even if the music is stuck eternally playing The Sound of the End because it’s an end game crisis occurring, 9S can mosey on over to the desert and grind for this particular machine. Actually got this my first try.

So fifty minutes total for those three. As I was saying earlier, all percentages are not created equally. Those three machine entries? Those make up one complete entry or 1% of total unit data. That goes the same for all machines. Each variation of a model contributes to the total 1% complete entry. So each of those machines were worth .3~% each. So that’s fun! This Electromagnetic Shield variant above only spawns in one particular, semi-hard to reach room just below Masamune’s chamber. He too is one in a set of three, so worth .3~% completion.

This guy, on the other hand, is the only Medium Quadruped of the Factory death cult variety. Remember that one creepy hidden room full of a pile of android corpses? During 2B’s escape with Pascal, if she visits that room this machine will be standing atop the corpse pile being worshipped by Medium Biped cultists. Since he’s the only Medium Quadruped Factory model in the game, he’s worth an entire 1%! Spiffy!

The only way to sanely accomplish this quest is to do every single other sidequest in the game, as all machine lifeform quest givers are added as entries and are mostly worth 1% each with some exceptions (all of Father Servo’s forms are all under one entry so that entire quest line needs to be completed to get 1% from him.) After that, it’s mostly down to grinding Enhanced Model versions of machines which are all rare spawns stuck in the same pools as normal enemies. And they are a huge pain in the dick.

For instance, there’s Enhanced Model tall fellas that only spawn in Route C on the path in the Housing Complex on the way to the first fight against Adam (where we saw the first Goliath Biped.) This only took 15 minutes of reloading a save at the start of the area, jogging over to the spot and seeing if it spawned. Unfortunately, this is only worth half a percent since there’s a non-gun equipped version that randomly spawns over in the Desert Camp zone with little rhyme, reason or guaranteed position. That one I thankfully got at some point in the distant past.

At the exact same place as those other Desert Medium Flyers is a small chance of an Enhanced Medium Flyer spawning as well. Taking the time grinding that area up to about 90 minutes total. I never want to see the Desert Zone again.

This stout boy randomly spawns in Route C in the caverns between the elevator to the Copied City and the Alien Mothership. Only 20 minutes to get this one to show up. A gunner variant is a guaranteed spawn in the Copied City down some dead end during Route C too.

This stupid Enhanced worm shows up right before the central courtyard jump leading to the King’s Chamber and Masamune’s shop. Thankfully another guaranteed chump... Unlike its cousin...

...Who only shows up on some random rear end rock dead smack in the middle of the Desert Zone. There are no nearby landmarks or places of note to denote the area. It’s vaguely south of the entrance to the Desert Housing and west of the entrance to the Desert Zone proper. Only place it spawns in the entire game and still, not remotely guaranteed to show up. It could just be a trio of Stubbies instead. It’s like a three minute walk every time to go check the spawn. Not going to even comment on how long that took total.

There were several others too I tracked down to get this percentage up to snuff. I already know no reward is going to be worth it because the next stop is upgrading every last weapon left in the game and we’ve already hit Level 99. But whatever... it’s done. I didn’t need those last five hours of my life anyway...

Music: Forest Kingdom

Back we go to the Forest Castle one final time to speak with 4S... who has apparently just given up on his job and is leaving it all to 9S to carry the load.

Thanks pal. Here is your garbage data. Go ahead and upload it to the Bunker’s servers. Oh right... they all exploded and this is useless! Get a job, you bum! :argh:

New Music: Faltering Prayer [Starry Sky]
(You should probably listen to this.)

It’s great having another Scanner helping me out. Thanks to you, I’ve gathered the data 60 percent faster than I’d planned.
...I wonder how long we’ll be doing this. It’s not like we YoRHa androids have a home to return to.
Yeah, but gathering intelligence is still important. It’s a huge support for the war effort.
I KNOW THAT!
...Sorry, Nines. I didn’t mean to yell at you. Anyway, this chunk of data you brought means I’ve finally hit my goal. I’d like you to have this. It belonged to an old friend, but I think he’d be happy to know that you’re using it. See you around, Nines. And remember: No regrets, okay?

Our final reward is a bunch of materials we don’t need, a sack of cash that isn’t necessary and literally worthless EXP. Well, it’s not quite 10,000 G for hours of gardening. But it’s not too far off...

Thus concludes the worst sidequest in all of NieR: Automata. So what becomes of 4S, the only remaining Scanner in YoRHa besides 9S? Well...

He just vanishes and we never see him again. Who can say what became of him after this fateful quest...

Our final task left for today is to completely upgrade all of our weapons to maximum level. Yep. There’s no requirement to collect all of the weapons to get the final ending, as there was in past Yoko Taro games. Instead, completionists now need to collect every single weapon AND upgrade each of ‘em to max. It’s actually far less painful than it ever was due to most of the materials being stuff that can be bought and comparatively very little farming for a handful of those that cannot.

Just needed to stop by Pascal’s shop for a couple spare Machine Arms and Torso from his former neighbors and one Black Pearl from the Amusement Park vendor. I’d been slaughtering every moose and boar I’d seen to get the necessary 20 or so Beast Hides, the only pain in the rear end material that cannot be bought. So we’re good to go. Every single weapon is now at Level 4! So what does that do...? Well... there’s no notice of anything different. No email or extra dialogue from Masamune to indicate an unlock of any sort.

However, if we take a gander at the map... a new unknown hotspot has appeared over at the shopping mall... Hmm...

Music: Rays of Light (Quiet)

If we just take a jog over the bridge where 9S had the worst day of his life and into the shopping center, we find Emil idling just where we met him the first time on this adventure.

Emil offers one of his random inventories. But they’re all completely worthless to us at this point. Indeed, we could just sell all of the upgrade material now if we wanted. It has no further use. As soon as we leave his shop, we get a new bit of dialogue...

What do you mean?
Um, nothing. Don’t worry about it. Take care now!

And with that, Emil zooms off out of the area. I’m surprised that flimsy rope bridge can handle all that weight considering a minor earthquake and 9S was enough to break it before.

Pod—
Pursuit marker placed on map. Target is heading toward the desert.
Heh. Nice work. Let’s go find him.

So begins the final sidequest of NieR: Automata. Tune in next time for Emil’s Determination! I’m sure it’ll be fine...

Video: Episode 152 Highlight Reel

Assorted Machine Lifeform Concept Art – Nothing the machines do has any meaning. Including spawning in certain locations. ESPECIALLY spawning in certain locations. :argh:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
screw those linked sphere types
especially the one that is supposed to spawn near the sea area

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Hahahaha, eat poo poo completionists!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Taro Yoko's completionist trolling is a loving art form in this one. So many angles of approach!

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Yeaaaahhhhh, when I saw how random some of the spawns were I just said "screw this" and just left it to 91-92% :argh:
I think it's time to bring out "TROLLED BY CAVIA YOKO TARO" again

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah I had to do about the same amount of grinding as TDI here :shepicide: gently caress that side-quest.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah I had to do about the same amount of grinding as TDI here :shepicide: gently caress that side-quest.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The fact that you need 95% to complete the subquest, but only 80% to get the achievement, and also only 80% subquests to get the other achievement is just next level trolling :allears: there's literally NO reason do ever do this quest unless you're specifically The Dark Id doing a Nier Automata LP.

Seriously Id, I'm not convinced this entire sidequest isn't specifically an attack on you from the Dark Lord himself.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Dark Id is bound by fate to Yoko Taro, and shall lp all his games from now until the end of time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Danaru posted:

Seriously Id, I'm not convinced this entire sidequest isn't specifically an attack on you from the Dark Lord himself.

well, i mean, given that Yoko Taro made the Drakengard 3 writers read the previous Id LPs until they could recite them from memory while shitfaced,

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I just have to say, the music in this game is really good. Not sure it's been mentioned yet but it's worth pointing out.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yeah man, gently caress the enhanced drill-equipped link spheres. They're a buncha bitches!

Only ones that gave me nearly as much trouble were the two that can appear in the Flooded City, another enhanced link-sphere type (I believe it's the Thorn-equipped one) and the enhanced reverse-jointed model. Both are ALSO only 1% spawns and I think they can only appear in very specific routes; I remember going to one of the last routes and never seeing them for like a couple hours, then I looked at a guide for tips on how to find them and it mentioned a specific route, and found them both in under an hour. Seriously, gently caress the encounter rate programmer!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bufuman posted:

Yeah man, gently caress the enhanced drill-equipped link spheres. They're a buncha bitches!

Only ones that gave me nearly as much trouble were the two that can appear in the Flooded City, another enhanced link-sphere type (I believe it's the Thorn-equipped one) and the enhanced reverse-jointed model. Both are ALSO only 1% spawns and I think they can only appear in very specific routes; I remember going to one of the last routes and never seeing them for like a couple hours, then I looked at a guide for tips on how to find them and it mentioned a specific route, and found them both in under an hour. Seriously, gently caress the encounter rate programmer!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Weird, I was already at 98% when I found that quest, just from playing the game normally.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

...! posted:

Weird, I was already at 98% when I found that quest, just from playing the game normally.

Wait hold on

So you’re really cool, right

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

...! posted:

Look at this lying motherfucker right here. Aren't cool as hell? :allears:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Well.

Emil is going to finally end it all. He was just sticking around because he knew you needed him. He was ready to die after all the millennia, but nines and 2b brought him a few more months of happiness.

But now, it is time to go.

He never knew it would feel so dark and cold.

It was so long ago when he last felt cold....

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I don't remember exactly how long it took me to complete the same grind for unit data but four and a half hours sounds about right honestly.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I've played this game from start to finish about 4 times now, and am planning to play it through a fifth time to show it off to some friends in the near future. I just finished reading this thread to this point. I am so excited that I am apparently getting here right in time for endings D and E.

I bought the game on a whim with no knowledge of any previous games, and from the previews was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. It is the best game I have ever played in my entire life. The entire soundtrack is a regular part of my music playlist, and I still get choked up every time I hear "Weight of the World".

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Hey, it's at least theoretically possible they just got really drat lucky. You can't discount that possibility. Even if probability does suggest lying is more likely.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

I bought the game and it came with all the weapons upgraded. I was also playing as the Commander and pile bombing robots and moose left and right too though so that was odd.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I bought the game and it came with all the weapons upgraded. I was also playing as the Commander and pile bombing robots and moose left and right too though so that was odd.

Look. This game's a Platinum developed sequel to Nier where the DLC has you fighting the CEO of Square Enix.

Its existence is so ridiculous that claims like this hardly register.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ah, we found yoko taros SA account.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Section 9 posted:

I've played this game from start to finish about 4 times now, and am planning to play it through a fifth time to show it off to some friends in the near future. I just finished reading this thread to this point. I am so excited that I am apparently getting here right in time for endings D and E.

I bought the game on a whim with no knowledge of any previous games, and from the previews was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. It is the best game I have ever played in my entire life. The entire soundtrack is a regular part of my music playlist, and I still get choked up every time I hear "Weight of the World".

I put its story at the top of videogames, right with Planescape Torment. Both did things with the narrative that necessitated a player's perspective and were satisfying and thematic stories in their own right.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Section 9 posted:

My brother just got the game and it has been a lot of fun hearing his reactions to it. The last I heard he ran into Adam for the first time which is always such a magical experience.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, Emil. I'm sure in another 2000 years events will have come to the point where some plucky android or perhaps machine fighter will need your assistance again. Don't worry. I suggest obsessing over home security in the meantime?

BlitzMentalist
Jan 20, 2018

A Person Who Does Things.

The Dark Id posted:

For instance, there’s Enhanced Model tall fellas that only spawn in Route C on the path in the Housing Complex on the way to the first fight against Adam (where we saw the first Goliath Biped.) This only too 15 minutes of reloading a save at the start of the area, jogging over to the spot and seeing if it spawned.

I'm guessing you meant took there.

Finally caught up after being away for a bit. And I'm absolutely certain nothing will possibly go wrong from here on out.

I mean, hasn't Emil suffered enough? Right?

Right?

...Oh who am I kidding.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
So... best boy's gonna nuke the Earth now, right? Right? There's basically nothing left here.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

BlitzMentalist posted:

I'm guessing you meant took there.

Finally caught up after being away for a bit. And I'm absolutely certain nothing will possibly go wrong from here on out.

I mean, hasn't Emil suffered enough? Right?

Right?

...Oh who am I kidding.

compared to most characters in taro yoko games id argue emil has barely suffered at all. hes had a pretty happy life so far.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Even for YT fighting a forever war against aliens and robots for thousands of years while dividing your own body and mind until you can't remember which is the original one and your clones go crazy is pretty harsh.

Also, some dick keeps stealing your stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Iretep posted:

compared to most characters in taro yoko games id argue emil has barely suffered at all. hes had a pretty happy life so far.

Have you forgotten everything that happened in Nier?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Have you forgotten everything that happened in Nier?

emil has

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I never once claimed to be a truth teller. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Is this where we get back to that Emil head graveyard?

The Dark Id posted:

and occasional quest giving allies, but where well beyond that point

And they are a huge pain the dick.

• Locked thread