Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Argas posted:

The thing with Cid is that he defected...before 1.0 even?

Yeah, there's some backstory with him that you don't have if you didn't play 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

HW is basically Alphinaud: The character arc, so I hope your opinion of him improves as he matures.

I blame my hatred of Minfilia entirely on her VA(s) and unfortunately Merlwyb losses her VA, but she's still a badass and the new voice isn't bad. Kan E definitely needs some more action scenes cause we get it, she's the peaceful ruler master politician of ceremony.

My loathing of Minfilia is less about her VA and more about her perpetually living behind two loading screens and never doing anything in the story. Even Senna felt significantly more proactive and involved in the story's events than Minfilia.

In general, I think the game - especially the 2.X post-game - desperately needed a tighter focus, and I think Ul'dah was the least interesting of the city-states despite getting the most screen time. Gridania and the elementals, for example - sure the conjurers and white mages and padjals seek to placate the forest, but what about the hypothetical padjal or conjurer who embraces nature's destructive side? Just as in harmony with nature, tranquil in their own way, but embracing the flip side of the white mages despite sharing their source of power.

Making Senna face that side of nature, or maybe introducing a girlfriend for her who does, could make Gridania a lot more interesting.

Or have more shenanigans in Limsa Lominsa. It was far and away my favorite city of the three nations, and I think it had the best characters. Merlwyb herself doesn't hesitate to shoot people in the head, her boyfriend is the kind of man who helms a ship against Leviathan, there's an order of assassins lurking in the shadows stabbing people who break the code and are personally loyal to Merlwyb, and the arcanists are... tax and customs officials, in a nation of pirates, a concept I absolutely love even if I didn't think much of the arcanist storyline itself.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm still waiting on the Twin Adder's/Three Grand Companies' dungeon. Immortal Flames has Halitali HM and Maelstrom has Hullbreaker HM. No Twin Adders stuff yet.

Cythereal posted:

Or have more shenanigans in Limsa Lominsa.
Unfortunately Merlwyb is too competent/awesome for that to happen. That's sort of the problem with Limsa. Once you get past the pirates (it is ok if you do not get past the pirates, they're a pretty fun bunch) it pretty much only has the Bismark Bistro stuff which is pretty cool to but only really comes into it's own if you level CUL up to 60.

Everything else is pirates.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Jinh posted:

this is still the worst part of smn btw. i mean i tend to use something between the second dot and the bane/fester, but sometimes i forget to dump a stack and I'll try going second dot-energy drain-fester and still whiff it and have my thumb up my rear end for a minute
This can't happen any more though? Since...4.1, I think, they changed it so you still get a stack even if it does no damage. Still sucks, of course.

Anyways, the worst part of being a SMN is accidentally hitting Aetherflow when you still have stacks to burn. I want to scream every time this happens.

(Unless it's singlehandedly saving the party by repeatedly raising the healers and then not getting a single comm)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm still waiting on the Twin Adder's/Three Grand Companies' dungeon. Immortal Flames has Halitali HM and Maelstrom has Hullbreaker HM. No Twin Adders stuff yet.

This monkey paw wish leads to Thousand Maws of Totorak HM.

I've never minded Kan-E. She's pretty chill, but also clearly able to take charge when that's needed. She just isn't interesting in the way Merlwyb is by default or how Raubahn develops over the course of 2.0 to 4.1.

Minfilia was always pretty bad between the whole "pray return" bit, her silly outfit, and her voice acting that made it seem like she was an alien badly imitating human speech more often than not. She did improve a bit later on, but she was one of the most egregious VAs in 2.0.

And yes, 3.0 puts a lot of effort into redeeming Alphinaud as a character and I think most people would consider it successful. Enjoy the ride!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

And yes, 3.0 puts a lot of effort into redeeming Alphinaud as a character and I think most people would consider it successful. Enjoy the ride!

I will once I catch AST up to HW levels. :) Still, I think I'd prefer less Alphinaud to better Alphinaud. I think he got more screen time than the rest of the Scions combined, and up until the very end of ARR I cringed every time the brat showed up when I could have been spending time with interesting characters instead (RIP Moenbrynda). There was a metric shitload of post-game to get through, the game could have afforded to spend less time with Alphinaud and more time getting to know the other Scions. Or spent more time with Yugiri and the Domans, who showed up once or twice to say "hey, we added rogues and ninjas this patch, go try it out" and otherwise disappeared from the story after setting them up in Mor Dhona.

Did not help that I called the Crystal Braves going bad the moment Alphinaud wanted to start it.

I don't particularly want to see Alphinaud get better. I want to get to know more and better characters, preferably ones who don't sound like they're undressing my lady elf with every silken word in their mind like Haurchefant and Ayemric. But that ship has of course sailed.

I dunno. For as long as ARR was, looking back I feel like not much actually happened. I get that it was released episodically and I was slogging through it all nonstop, but the story in my opinion did not justify the sheer volume of quests, running around, and busywork that it demanded.

All in all, I consider ARR as an MMO story to be comparable to TOR's Shadows of Revan arc or the later parts of WoW: Mists of Pandaria. A whole lot of running around and people talking at each other, not a lot actually happening.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

This monkey paw wish leads to Thousand Maws of Totorak HM.

It wouldn't be a curled paw. Totorak's only bad because you're getting it to much in Leveling Roulette, in which case it's your own fault for trusting the whims of the RNG more than you can handle :colbert:
I haven't run Leveling Roulette much since getting every class to 61 :shepicide:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

But I still don't find Lyse to be all that compelling either, despite so much of Stormblood focusing on her. Fordola's way cooler. Same with Hien and Yotsuyu though, so maybe I just like villains better.

It's because they haven't defined a clear direction of character growth for Lyse or Hien yet. Fordola and Yotsuyu are both villains born from unfortunate circumstances, one of whom is painfully aware of her sins, while the other can't even remember her own name. There's compelling hooks in both those characters: Will Fordola fight and risk her life for an Ala Mhigo that will still always hate her? Will Yotsuyu, given her first taste of real, genuine kindness, choose to repay it, even after she regains her memories?

I think my problem with Lyse right now is that she has yet to be truly challenged anywhere in the story. I already mentioned many pages back what I thought about her role in the initial MSQ, but I feel like they haven't done a good job with her in the post-4.0 stuff. Fordola should've been her first big stumbling block: the end of the 4.0 MSQ has Fordola calling her a "stupid cow," and Lyse having to hold herself back from killing Fordola on the spot because she's determined to see genuine justice done. They hate eachother's guts like nothing else. By the time 4.1 rolls around, Lyse treats Fordola like any other prisoner, as if she'd grown a hundred years wiser in the span of the end of 4.0 to 4.1. I genuinely had to go back and watch the footage I had of the 4.1 MSQ to make sure I wasn't going crazy and missed something, but Lyse's whole attitude towards Fordola just does a near-complete 180'. Lyse should be accepting her help with teeth grit and a sour, doubting towards her intent - and then she sees Fordola shedding her tear and wonders if she's missed something. There's the start of your character growth for Lyse, and you can then tie her into Fordola's growth without it feeling as patronizing as it currently does.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

HW is basically Alphinaud: The character arc, so I hope your opinion of him improves as he matures.

Alphinaud's character arc is what sold me a lot on this game narratively past 2.X. The first time I got introduced to him in the MSQ I was groaning and rolling my eyes at the thought of having to spend another scene with a loving anime child prodigy, but they deconstructed the archetype in a stellar way and built him back up into a far more interesting character that I still enjoy even going into Stormblood.

Minfilia is probably the worst written character of 2.X; it's telling that she ends up getting Poochie'd while the rest of the 2.X cast sans Papalymo retains their leading roles. They just plain couldn't figure out anything to do with her.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

To be fair to Lyse in that context, she had kind of succeeded in her ambition, and that can do a lot for your perspective.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The biggest thing I don't get about Lyse is how that dress has like a 2 foot long blade in the sleeve. How does your arm even bend? I call this "The Wolverine Problem"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And, I suppose while I'm at it, my thoughts on the class and job quest lines I've completed.

Conjurer: My first completed class quest line, and a strong one at that. I disliked Sylphie at first, but she had a lot of character growth and I've always been a sucker for stories that develop the protagonist by giving them an apprentice to teach. Even if the game never drew attention to it, I got a strong feeling that Sylphie had chosen my lady elf as a replacement mother figure.

White Mage: Senna's siblings have a lot more personality than she does, that's for sure. Decent if unremarkable druid story about living in harmony with nature and saving the forest.

Arcanist: Hilarious as the concept of arcanists and what they do is, I thought this class story line was badly let down by the main NPCs you deal with. The guildmaster (not the roegadyn lady, she's cool, the catdude) is an insufferable rear end in a top hat and I didn't buy the catgirl protege's journey. She felt to me like she was legitimately autistic and the story didn't quite know how to handle it - stuffing her into a bikini in the class finale to have her pose as a prostitute felt gratuitous and gross considering how emotionally and socially stunted she is. I was glad to see the end of this story.

Scholar: Not a bad little mystery and lesson about overcoming prejudice, and the hatreds that prejudice leads to. I didn't get a sense of a class flavor or theme beyond "we really like Nym," though.

Summoner: Didn't do as much with the premise (turn primals into pets!) as I think it could have, instead focusing on a random bad guy with a personality consisting solely of MUHUHAHAHA. Evil scheme thwarted, pokemon collected, end of story. Not bad, I suppose, but not interesting either.

Archer: Gridanians are racist pricks, more news at 11. Not sure "suicidally depressed catgirl trying to commit suicide by cop" is an improvement over the autistic catgirl over in the arcanist story.

Rogue: Good, clean fun. Like the Inspector Hildibrand quest line (which was goddamn amazing and I am so glad goons in discord told me to go do it), I think FF14 works better when it's being silly and light-hearted than when it's being epic and serious.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

To be fair to Lyse in that context, she had kind of succeeded in her ambition, and that can do a lot for your perspective.

For me, it's an unbelievable degree of adjustment. The angriest you ever hear Lyse is the entire MSQ is when she's screaming at Fordola during the attack on the Castrum, calling her a butcher and a kinslayer, and then Fordola nearly kills one of her best friends. The best we get in 4.1 is that she sounds a touch miffed at having to ask Fordola for help. I might be willing to forgive the flip if Lyse's character had gotten more development in 4.0, but she starts as a boisterous, naively idealistic hothead and ends as a slightly less boisterous, naively idealistic hothead who rather passively gets everything conveniently handed to her.

Cythereal posted:

And, I suppose while I'm at it, my thoughts on the class and job quest lines I've completed.

Go give Pugilist a try if you ever get bored one day. It's probably the best written of the original class/job questlines.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Lyse was also pretty profoundly affected by Zenos dying and his explanation for what he had done. She didn’t find any joy in his death even though she hated him most of all and monologues a bit about how even Zenos was once an innocent child like anyone else and he was made into what he was by others, which is a major theme of Stormblood. She recognizes Fordola and Zenos as broken people and not as monsters after that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also, the entirety of the 4.0 MSQ happened for her.

More importantly, Lyse's change of outfit into dancer/monk dress with punchdagger was also a declaration of her change of character. It's like Alphinaud at the beginning of HW. When he took the lessons learned during the ARR postgame (for Lyse it's what she learned during the Doma escapade) and made a conscious effort to apply them in order to become someone better than he was. Lyse's 4.1 interaction with Fordola is one of the steps she's taken in that direction. If she were still Old Lyse then she'd probably have done exactly as you/Vermain said. But she's decided not to be that person anymore. She's mad at Fordola yes but she's tempered that rage instead of letting it push her around control her like it would have Old Lyse.

It's also not a complete 180. Lyse just learned how to hide her displeasure better (because it would have been really awkward to have her snarling at Fordola before AND after she went and brought her there to save everyone, including herself.)

Edit: Also what ParliamentOfDogs said. Once she learned the why of what happened at the castrum she really had no reason to be THAT mad anymore.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 4, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

I will once I catch AST up to HW levels. :) Still, I think I'd prefer less Alphinaud to better Alphinaud. I think he got more screen time than the rest of the Scions combined, and up until the very end of ARR I cringed every time the brat showed up when I could have been spending time with interesting characters instead (RIP Moenbrynda). There was a metric shitload of post-game to get through, the game could have afforded to spend less time with Alphinaud and more time getting to know the other Scions. Or spent more time with Yugiri and the Domans, who showed up once or twice to say "hey, we added rogues and ninjas this patch, go try it out" and otherwise disappeared from the story after setting them up in Mor Dhona.

Did not help that I called the Crystal Braves going bad the moment Alphinaud wanted to start it.

I don't particularly want to see Alphinaud get better. I want to get to know more and better characters, preferably ones who don't sound like they're undressing my lady elf with every silken word in their mind like Haurchefant and Ayemric. But that ship has of course sailed.

I dunno. For as long as ARR was, looking back I feel like not much actually happened. I get that it was released episodically and I was slogging through it all nonstop, but the story in my opinion did not justify the sheer volume of quests, running around, and busywork that it demanded.

All in all, I consider ARR as an MMO story to be comparable to TOR's Shadows of Revan arc or the later parts of WoW: Mists of Pandaria. A whole lot of running around and people talking at each other, not a lot actually happening.

If you don't like Haurchy and Aymeric :psyduck:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thundarr posted:

her voice acting that made it seem like she was an alien badly imitating human speech more often than not

Luckily, that's now totally in-character for her!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I think you're getting ahead of yourself on a couple of these points. There's still a lot of game to go and some of the stuff you mention there not being enough of is setup for things later.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If you don't like Haurchy and Aymeric :psyduck:

I don't think they've even met Aymeric yet.

e: Says it was 2.4 he's introduced. But I don't remember how much has happened with him at that point.

itskage fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 4, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Lyse was also pretty profoundly affected by Zenos dying and his explanation for what he had done. She didn’t find any joy in his death even though she hated him most of all and monologues a bit about how even Zenos was once an innocent child like anyone else and he was made into what he was by others, which is a major theme of Stormblood. She recognizes Fordola and Zenos as broken people and not as monsters after that.

I think I find it weird mostly because it's a revelation that seems to come from nowhere. Lyse isn't there for Yotsuyu's denouement, and the lesson she learns in Othard is along the lines of revolutions needing leaders and that good sentiments aren't a replacement for sound strategies. How does Lyse know that Zenos wasn't merely just a bad egg? How does she know Fordola isn't really just the kinslayer she makes her out to be?

EponymousMrYar posted:

More importantly, Lyse's change of outfit into dancer/monk dress with punchdagger was also a declaration of her change of character. It's like Alphinaud at the beginning of HW. When he took the lessons learned during the ARR postgame (for Lyse it's what she learned during the Doma escapade) and made a conscious effort to apply them in order to become someone better than he was.

The difference here is that Alphinaud's character development involves him overcoming his personal flaws - his narcissistic know-it-all attitude and belief that he was perpetually the smartest person in the room - once he realized that they led him into tragedy (the whole debacle of the Crystal Braves). Lyse's only real flaw on display at the start of Stormblood is that she doesn't understand why people aren't willing to fight Garlemald. She finds out the reasons in Othard and gets her advice from Hien, but she's never shown applying this in any practical way, nor is her flaw shown as being particularly negative in the first place. She arrives back in Ala Mhigo determined to free her country, but she was already determined to do so, and the game never shows her suddenly becoming a leader when she wasn't before or taking a different tact beyond force of arms. They tell us she's a leader, but that's not compelling enough writing for me.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

itskage posted:

I don't think they've even met Aymeric yet.

Cythereal posted:

preferably ones who don't sound like they're undressing my lady elf with every silken word in their mind like Haurchefant and Ayemric. 

:confused:

Also I don't know if that's how I would phrase their voices, but they sound like that if you're a dude too...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

jalapeno_dude posted:

Hope this helps!

I appreciate this. I'm switching over from RDM, which is admittedly simpler than this, but I'm really enjoying SMN right now. It feels like there's a lot more going on, but I try to keep casting as much as I can. The thing that trips me up is trying to dodge mechanics and letting a Deathflare or Akh Morn go to waste. I think that'll just come once I develop a sense of rhythm with the job.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

I think I find it weird mostly because it's a revelation that seems to come from nowhere. Lyse isn't there for Yotsuyu's denouement, and the lesson she learns in Othard is along the lines of revolutions needing leaders and that good sentiments aren't a replacement for sound strategies. How does Lyse know that Zenos wasn't merely just a bad egg? How does she know Fordola isn't really just the kinslayer she makes her out to be?

Because the nightmare demon who terrorized her country was just some mentally hosed up profoundly lonely person who ended up killing himself. She starts asking how this person got that way and states that, yeah, this dude wasn’t born this way, he was made this way by hosed up circumstances, a lesson which she then applies to fordola.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Vermain posted:

The difference here is that [spoiler] They tell us she's a leader, but that's not compelling enough writing for me.

I don't fell that at all. I feel more like she's in that position because it seemed like the right figurehead to everyone, but she still isn't good at it, comfortable in it, and the people around her know this and have to support her (if they aren't someone trying to take advantage of it), and help her to become that person. It's why she can't fight the war without Raubahn or why she can't keep the peace without him either. I'm guessing part of her arc will be the goofy comic relief actually becoming a leader. Though I agree it's not particularly well written or compelling. But I don't think "leadership" would be one of her defining traits right now, and I don't think the writers want to you to think that either.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:confused:

Also I don't know if that's how I would phrase their voices, but they sound like that if you're a dude too...

Well I can't read apparently.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Because the nightmare demon who terrorized her country was just some mentally hosed up profoundly lonely person who ended up killing himself. She starts asking how this person got that way and states that, yeah, this dude wasn’t born this way, he was made this way by hosed up circumstances, a lesson which she then applies to fordola.

Again, though: how does she intuit this? Yotsuyu and Fordola at least have the benefit of you poking your nose into their pasts, but Zenos may as well just be a full-blown naturally-born sociopath. If she was there for Yotsuyu's backstory spill or got to talk about it with Alisaie or something, sure, but it seems like a massive leap in logic for someone like Lyse to consider when the story hasn't touched on how the past can turn people into monsters from Lyse's perspective.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Also re: Lyse and that thing we're spoilering about. Didn't she get a brainwave from Fordola's Resonant stuff that literally showed her the real face of it, and also she was the only other person beyond Yours Truly and Arenvald with the Echo in the area?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

ARR is the weakest part of XIV, but I will defend to the death the Ultima Weapon boss fight being the culmination of your shift from adventurer to Warrior of Light.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

Also re: Lyse and that thing we're spoilering about. Didn't she get a brainwave from Fordola's Resonant stuff that literally showed her the real face of it, and also she was the only other person beyond Yours Truly and Arenvald with the Echo in the area?

Only people with the Echo can actually see past events, and Lyse doesn't have the Echo. It's specifically why she has to go and get Fordola's help.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I must be the only one for why Merlwyb is their least favorite city leader.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vermain posted:

Only people with the Echo can actually see past events, and Lyse doesn't have the Echo. It's specifically why she has to go and get Fordola's help.
Yeah but she was right there when it hit you and Arenvald, wasn't she? And she'd have every reason to trust your character and Arenvald's account.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

Again, though: how does she intuit this? Yotsuyu and Fordola at least have the benefit of you poking your nose into their pasts, but Zenos may as well just be a full-blown naturally-born sociopath. If she was there for Yotsuyu's backstory spill or got to talk about it with Alisaie or something, sure, but it seems like a massive leap in logic for someone like Lyse to consider when the story hasn't touched on how the past can turn people into monsters from Lyse's perspective.

Because she was there and saw him with her own eyes talking about how he can’t feel anything and saw him decide to end his own life. She didn’t see a monster, she saw a broken dude. These sorts of things would make anyone question how that person came to be that way.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

Yeah but she was right there when it hit you and Arenvald, wasn't she? And she'd have every reason to trust your character and Arenvald's account.

Oh, sure, but I mean before that backstory dump. She strikes a conciliatory tone at the start of the cutscene and there isn't even a shot of her biting back a reply or anything to indicate she's anything other than a placid lake once Fordola starts hollering. Even then, it's still entirely possible to know someone had a poo poo life and still hate them. It's why I think it would've been a good point of character growth for Lyse: show her still nursing a grudge, she realizes that Fordola actually does want the same thing she wants, and so she works to try and push past her hatred and work together with her to create a new Ala Mhigo.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Because she was there and saw him with her own eyes talking about how he can’t feel anything and saw him decide to end his own life. She didn’t see a monster, she saw a broken dude. These sorts of things would make anyone question how that person came to be that way.

I think this is a matter of differing interpretations of the scene. I took her line of, "There's no justice in that rabid animal's end," as her decrying the fact that he took his own life instead of facing genuine justice before the people, rather than a lamentation of his sorry state.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 4, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

ARR is the weakest part of XIV, but I will defend to the death the Ultima Weapon boss fight being the culmination of your shift from adventurer to Warrior of Light.

As long-winded as the Praetorium is, i love everything after where Gaius begins monolouging at you, to the end of the dungeon :allears: It's just really good fun.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was really cool at the time, but for new people now he dies before he even does any actual mechanics, and the fight itself isn't very epic.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

I think this is a matter of differing interpretations of the scene. I took her line of, "There's no justice in that rabid animal's end," as her decrying the fact that he took his own life instead of facing genuine justice before the people, rather than a lamentation of his sorry state.

It’s not lamentation, it’s understanding. Understanding that vengeance doesn’t feel good after the fact and even the worst monsters are still people who were born innocent. You can disagree with my interpretation but she literally applies these exact lessons in all her future dealings with fordola.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I finally got to do a post HW BLM quest and holy poo poo being able to hold your own against the creator of Black Magic herself (kind of) is so loving cool. A long way from cooking Dodos so the Thaumaturge popotoes can get elixers on the cheap.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

You can disagree with my interpretation but she literally applies these exact lessons in all her future dealings with fordola.

No, I think you're right, since it jives more with some of her closing lines in the credits sequence. I think my problem is more that the lesson learned isn't a culmination of her past journey - it's more just a random revelation given at the tail end, and thus it feels unsatisfying. I might've missed misinterpreted what the writers were getting at with the MSQ, however, so it's probably worth a reread at this point.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vermain posted:

I think I find it weird mostly because it's a revelation that seems to come from nowhere. How does she know Fordola isn't really just the kinslayer she makes her out to be?

The difference here is that -spoiler snip-

That doesn't actually matter. Heck, go back and watch the lengthy dialogue that happens in A Butcher's Blood and what you find out during The Resonant.
Fact of the matter is, Lyse unwittingly put Fordola under a pretty sadistic sentence by not killing her when she could.

Also here's the thing about her hate. She has seen, firsthand, that her hate for Fordola is absolutely nothing compared to the liberated Ala Mhigan's hate for her. She feels that hate and can sympathize with their want of vengeance but she knows from being at Zenos's death that there's no real satisfaction to be found there.

For emphasis She met Fordola in her cell after getting a face full of her hate, her rage, her want of vengeance shoved into her face. And she said that she wanted to be/build a country better than that. Lyse might be an emotional action-oriented person but she's not a hypocrite and that scene is her following through on her intentions.

She's still angry though. Note that Arenvald is the one that does most of the talking. She's placid and overall even tempered which is also a sign of 'actively holding back my anger because it's not productive to what I want to get done here.'

Regarding the rest...
Lyse's central character flaw is that she's a person of action. She is the person who says 'right, who do we punch?' and then she goes and punches them and leaves the thinking and worrying to everyone else. This is consistent with her pre-4.0 character archetype. Lyse is the punchgirl, Papalymo is the smartdude.
Now the people who tell her who to punch are getting pretty thin. There's no more Minfillia. No more Papalymo.
Enter where it's a problem: it's obvious to her that the Garleans are people who need to be punched so why aren't people punching them? She's punching them! Wait there are Ala Mhigan's punching us along with the Garleans, why aren't they punching the Garleans?
Enter the Doma excursion. She still wants to punch things first, think about things later. Except she's finding all of these problems that she can't punch in addition to the old 'why aren't people punching the obvious bad guys' problem in a different skin.
Enter Hien. 'Alright now we can really get to pun- wait you're not going to punch the bad guys? what. you're going to let the Garleans chokeslam you if your people don't want to punch!? what!?'
This arc pretty much culminates with her and Hien sitting in Magnai's cell in the Azim Steppes. Where she is forced to sit down and start thinking because she almost literally can't do anything else.

The rest has mostly been taken care of while I double checked some things and wrote up the above.

Vermain posted:

Funny thing about that interpretation: it doesn't invalidate the other 'broken man' interpretation of that scene. Also see above how your interpretation reinforces her actions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

The rest has mostly been taken care of while I double checked some things and wrote up the above.

Good post; I appreciate the effort. I'm gonna do a rewatch again and see if I can put together a more comprehensive reading.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This is not the Toonami thread. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 4, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is not the Toonami thread. :v:

I'd much rather talk about an MMO plotline than the current Ghostdad episode of Naruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just finished Praetorium (unsynced because hell if you can get a queue at 1 AM) and boy I enjoyed the Gaius Super Saiyan and stuff. Also the super-cheesy part where the major characters do these magic superhero-style beatdown on Lahabrea.