Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

UnknownMercenary posted:

murdering everything else around the dozer if you are using a Graze build.

Can someone capture this for me sometime, because it sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Are you really defending when Boiling Point made all its units do blue cop levels of damage?

:thejoke:

The other period was when they did something similar with the Cobras and they all had a fire rate of ~20,000 shots per second.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Discendo Vox posted:

:thejoke:

The other period was when they did something similar with the Cobras and they all had a fire rate of ~20,000 shots per second.

I no lie miss the days when Rats 2 was a death run through trenches with gang members raining deadly mac-10 fire from above.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

RandallODim posted:

I no lie miss the days when Rats 2 was a death run through trenches with gang members raining deadly mac-10 fire from above.

It was genuinely pretty thrilling betraying the Cobras in Rats day 2, given that most pub groups I'd play with could ace day 1 no problem, then they'd get wiped 50% of the time on day 2, leaving me to keep getting them up or even running for the van to hide inside with the intel, solo.

Given how many rats day 2 runs I went through back in the day when Infamy only went up to 5, with 95% of day 1s involving blowing up the lab and hiding in the basement until the van showed up, day 2's old lethality has a very special place in my heart.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Micro uzi still S tier bullet hose, Mosin Nagant now has a reason to be used by me again as I go hitscan cop bowling :feelsgood:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Dozers are easy with dodge and a crit Mark-10 with speed pull mag. Aced Specialized Killing optional.

Aced Trigger Happy is incredible now and lets you shred dozers even faster than the aforementioned crit Mark-10.

Shotgun dodge builds still need silencers to maximize concealment, so the Izhma has effectively been nerfed. Not by much though, 64 damage with crits as compared to 70 damage with crits previously. Should still lay waste on the highest difficulties.

Getting to 100% achievements again by just launching the game also felt good, and it was sensible to make the new achievements retroactive.

Overall, this update is better work than OVK has done for a very long time.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I hadn't done the haunted killroom on one down/death sentence and had to log in for 80 cheevos and then do one heist for 5 more.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Sorry about your 3 minutes in a locked room, waiting for a button and a whole bunch of despawned cops.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
It pales in comparison to others in this thread, but I've put 1200 hours into Payday 2 which is by far the most I've played any game, yet I haven't even touched the thing in over a year and change. Every day I come home, look at my Payday 2 doormat, and wonder "is this game enjoyable again?" and the answer is always "haha, no." Overkill and below were way too easy while Mayhem and up were super monotonous, and it doesn't seem like any of the new maps, perk decks, weapon rebalances, skill tree revisions, game modes, friendly AI improvements etc have done much to change this. I guess there are still 50K people playing the game as I write this so it must be just me, but I wish there was a way to roll back to a previous version and play that with some friends.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Mayhem has actually gotten pretty easy with this rework although I guess if you can't click heads with just about any automatic weapon then I can't really help you.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LMGs went from "why are you bringing this piece of poo poo gun" to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qy66alFL0M&t=7s (imagine waves of dying piggies here)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Imagine the part in Rambo 4 where he has the .50 cal except there are four people who are all Rambo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
He didn't say hard, he said monotonous. I can see that.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

He didn't say hard, he said monotonous. I can see that.

Well I find it quite refreshing that the cops don't just auto target me and turn me into Swiss cheese, but evidently a lot of folks were playing a much easier version of Payday 2 than I was. :shrug:

I've found this current update to be way better than the monotony that was having to murder my way through 400 angry auto-aiming cops.

Also Mayhem is very much more towards the Overkill end of the difficulty curve now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wait is that a thing now? You don't just round a corner and insta-splat to a pile of cops anymore?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Murdoch posted:

Wait is that a thing now? You don't just round a corner and insta-splat to a pile of cops anymore?

Previously the game tied AI tasks (movement, targeting, etc) directly to framerate. Framerate being highly variable meant if you had a slower PC, you had a much easier game and vice versa.

As of this latest update the game still does this, but performs the tasks under an assumed 60 framerate. So if you're someone like me who's used to the game running at a blazing 100 FPS on an i5, the game is a lot easier.

Keep in mind they also increased the spawn cap without telling anyone, so small maps are still inundated with too many cops. They also haven't adjusted down enemy damage on Deathwish or Death Sentence, only Mayhem. Death Sentence also has another weird undocumented change that doubles the speed of all units (but not actually all units because of the messy implementation, but I'll let Vox get into more detail about that if he so wishes).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's basically all enemies; I don't recall the details either. The fun part ("fun") is that it's a flat multiplier, because Jules. Dozer speed is twice what it used to be.... and cloaker speed is twice what it used to be. You can see where that's going.

The removal of reinforce tasks and increase in enemies breaks a lot of the intended design of maps, so areas you're supposed to traverse fast become slogs. Area defenses like Panic Room, and any heist where all spawnpoints are redirected to a single zone, are basically like a horde event in L4D, but with bullets. At the same time, without reinforce spawns, many larger maps are easier because there are no enemies set to guard objectives- if you move from one part of the map to another, it's much more likely to be completely empty.

Heck, let me take a minute and post something I cooked up awhile back. This should give a sense of the scale of the damage done by removing reinforce groups. Bear in mind that they were removed because Jules said they were "breaking spawns" and "clogging maps". Sorry, this is going to be long. In the words of our founder, please look away if this offends you.

General reinforce task inventory
Be aware that I can't guarantee that these are all called, or exactly where they call enemies to. I'm also not exhaustively documenting when they start or terminate, just making note if I can easily tell. All of these are now doing nothing in payday 2.
  • Chill (safehouse raid)
    2 reinforce tasks, 1 enemy each, for two of the possible money pile locations.
  • Election Day 1
    None
  • Election Day 2 (warehouse)
    3 reinforce tasks, 1 enemy each. One called for each security footage location, not clear that the "point_area_min_police_force_002" one is used anywhere. Possibly left over from a third security tapes location?
  • Election Day 3 (Bank)
    4 tasks, 1 enemy each. 2 called during drilling step for each vault position.
  • Framing Frame 1
    Three tasks of 1 enemy each, one called for drilling any security door position.
    Three tasks, 2 with 2 enemies, 1 with 1 enemy, called when SWAT first arrive, terminated when holes are blasted into back wall.
  • Framing Frame 2
    Four reinforce tasks of 2 or 1 enemy, triggered and disabled so that one is active at a time as players move through the space.
  • Framing Frame 3
    3 tasks of 2 enemies each. One of the three is called by activating the server room keyboard.
  • Welcome to the jungle 1 (big oil 2)
    7 tasks of 1 enemy each. Tasks are called when placing a drill on a given safe-though some tasks are called by multiple safes. On higher difficulties with more than 1 safe, it's possible this would trigger multiple groups.
  • Welcome to the jungle 2 (big oil 2)
    4 reinforce tasks (one has 2 enemies, all others 1) when police first arrive.
    3 reinforce tasks of 1 enemy, one assigned for each server room door. It does appear possible that all three of these could be called if all three doors have drills. These tasks end when the drill finishes.
  • Alex Must Die 1 (Rats 1)
    2 tasks, 1 with 1 enemy, 1 with 2, when police begin to spawn.
  • Alex Must Die 2 (Rats 2)
    None.
  • Alex Must Die 3 (Rats 3)
    None.
  • Firestarter 1
    2 tasks, 1 with 1 enemy, 1 with 2, when a player enters any open hangar.
  • Firestarter 2
    2 tasks of 2 enemies when police spawn.
    1 task of 1 enemy for placing a drill on any server room door, 1 task of 1 enemy for placing a drill on any server room shutter. Not positive about that last bit.
  • Firestarter 3 (Also all H&Ts)
    2 reinforce tasks of one enemy each, attached to vault door positions and difficulty. I believe the result is 1 additional 1 enemy reinforce task on difficulties above overkill.
    When vault opens: 3 tasks, 2 with 1 enemy, 1 with 2.
    1 reinforce task with 1 enemy for each policecar that arrives.
    1 reinforce task with 1 enemy at one of the escape locations, (others have none, I believe this is not the one around the corner, as it has a whole ambush logic attached)
    Finally, 2 tasks of one enemy each associated with using the thermal drill.
  • Watchdogs 1
    2 tasks of 1 enemy at start of heist.
    2 tasks of 1 enemy associated with reinforced doors, but they appear not to be activated.
  • Watchdogs 2
    One task of 1 enemy for any boat location, only active while the boat is in position.

[Going to skip escapes. Basically each escape spawns one or two tasks with 1 or 2 enemies at whichever escape position is selected.]
    [Ditto for transports, the game spawns 1 task of 1 enemy for any gensec truck that spawns.]
  • arm_mis (transport train)
    1 task of 1 enemy for whichever car has the turret.

Dentist folder reinforce tasks
  • cas (Golden Grin)
    None.
  • hox (Hoxton Breakout)
    None on either day.
  • mia 1 (hotline miami 1)
    1 task of 1 enemy in the basement upon entry, 2 tasks of 1 enemy as general police response.
  • mia 2 (hotline miami 2)
    1 reinforce group of 1 enemy on floors 1-3, active only before the player moves to the next. 1 reinforce group of 1 enemy upon entering the apartment.
  • mus (the diamond)
    None

Butcher folder reinforce tasks
  • friend (scarface)
    1 task of 1 enemy during winch task in Sosa's office.
    3 tasks, 1 task of 1 enemy at whichever escape is active.
  • thebomb 2 (Bomb dockyard)
    4 tasks, 1 task of 2 enemies active at any given C4 spawn when flare lit. Only active until C4 picked up.
    1 task of 2 enemies for whichever escape is active.
    1 task of 2 enemies upon players entering the boat.
    1 task of 2 enemies on whichever side the hack is on. Only active during hack.
  • thebomb 3 (Bomb forest)
    1 task of 2 enemies active when escape becomes available. Disabled and swapped to another 2 enemy task when players get close to zipline.
    1 task of 2 enemies, active only while hose is lowered at from helicopter. There are two versions of this task, each is only active on some train positions.

PBR folder reinforce tasks
  • berry (mountain) & jerry (sky)
    None.

Continental folder reinforce tasks
  • spa (Brooklyn 10-10) and fish (Yacht)
    None.

Elephant folder reinforce tasks
    born (Biker day 1)
    1 task of 1 enemy while drill on door into bunker is active.
    1 task of 1 enemy at whichever truck position spawns.
    1 task of 1 enemy while Mike gathers special stuff from bike in garage. disabled when he succeeds, or whenever he's interrupted.
    chew (Biker day 2)
    None.
    dark (Murky Station) and mad (Boiling Point)
    None.

Vlad folder reinforce tasks
  • cane (Santa's Workshop)
    None.
    Four stores
    5 tasks of 1 enemy each, each triggered when a drill is placed on specific safes, probably the large ones. This is stored in the drill script, not the main heist script.
  • Jewelry Store & Ukrainian Job
    4 tasks of 3 enemies each, one assigned and activated by whichever escape location occurs.
    there are about 7 tasks of 1 or two enemies, which are disabled and activated with some randomization as heist objectives progress. At a guess, they're used to occupy the back alley and interior of the building.
  • jolly (Aftershock)
    None.
  • Mallcrasher
    6 tasks of 1 enemy each. 3 are called upon players entering what seems to be the upper floor, and 3 called when they enter the lower floor. If all players leave a given area, the reinforce tasks are ended. This can repeat itself.
  • moon (Stealing Xmas)
    None.
  • Nightclub
    None.
  • peta 1 (Goat 1)
    2 tasks of 1 enemy activated for whichever location the escape truck arrives at.
    1 task of 1 enemy if the scaffold goat spawns, disabled when the goat is picked up.
    1 task of 1 enemy for any of three stores with a goat and fan in it. Disabled when goat is picked up.
    The fan and scaffold goats are mutually exclusive, so the game always and only has 3 tasks of 1 enemy on this day.
  • peta 2 (Goat 2)
    1 task with 1 enemy and 1 task with two enemies, activated when players get near the bridge, I think.
  • pines (White Xmas)
    1 task of 2 enemies wherever the pickup helicopter is active. Ends when helicopter leaves. Probably does not apply to the helicopter that picks up the pilot.
  • shout (Meltdown)
    None.

Classics folder reinforce tasks
  • dah (Diamond classic), run (Heat Street)
    None.
  • dinner (Slaughterhouse)
    1 task of 1 enemy, starts when control panel used
    2 tasks of 1 enemy, one active for whatever truck orientation occurs, removed at end of drill task.
  • flat (panic room)
    1 task of 5 enemies, active only during roof tasks.
    1 task of 2 enemies, active only until end of cutter tasks.
    1 task of 2 enemies, active only after explosion, until escape.
  • glace (green bridge)
    None. Odd...looks like there was a setup for using C4 on the prison busses...
  • man (undercover)
    8 tasks of 1 enemy each, one for each possible powerbox. All spawn at once when hack starts, it's not clear they were ever removed. This heist is badly scripted even by comparison to others.
    4 tasks of 1 enemy each, one is active for whichever location the limo winds up at for the cutting task. Removed when task ends.
  • pal (Counterfeit)
    2 tasks of 1 enemy each during hacking box step.
    1 task of 1 enemy when basement is opened.
  • red2 (FWB)
    1 task of 1 enemy for whichever gate location spawns. Active only during thermal drill task.
    1 task of 1 enemy in counting room, 1 task of 1 enemy at vault. Each active in turn during thermite and bagging steps.

Bottom line? A ton of maps use no reinforce groups, so this change is just adding a lot of enemies to them. But a ton of maps use reinforce groups for specific purposes- and most of them aren't the ones that had a reputation for getting "clogged"!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 4, 2018

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Goat Sim day 2 driver drove from the barn to the bridge.

Entirely backwards.

And sandwiched between 2 turrets when needed to be repaired.

:pwn:

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The Switch port of PD2 runs like buttered rear end and the pub stove is good and hot. But I gotta admit, when it works, being able to murder pigs while I take a dump is rad.

If only the game pinged more than three lobbies at a time. :v:

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

The Switch port of PD2 runs like buttered rear end and the pub stove is good and hot. But I gotta admit, when it works, being able to murder pigs while I take a dump is rad.

If only the game pinged more than three lobbies at a time. :v:

I need more details on this. Also I need to hear about the Switch port.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Performance wise, the game has a 30 FPS cap like the other console versions. 1600x900 resolution in docked mode, 720p in handheld mode. The visual quality settings are kinda all over the place, but pretty close to the 360/PS3 versions. Chromatic aberration is disabled.

The game regularly struggles to hit the FPS cap. The average is usually like 20-25 FPS. I played Meltdown on Normal with a full pub group and was regularly sub-15 FPS. I don't want to imagine how that map runs on One Down.

Patch wise, the game is sitting at a chopped down version of the complete Housewarming update set. None of the heists added in that update set, no new clubhouse, no coins, but the game balance and technical status is at that point in patch history. I imagine this also applies to how spawns, AI, bugs, etc behave, but I only have about 6 or so hours logged right now so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Joy sure is a new character you can play as. Yep. Nothing special. I haven't touched her perk deck at all, trying to focus on maxing out grinder for now. It's centered around throwable ECM jammers. Apparently they're just bog standard jammers with shorter timers all around. The rest of her deck boosts her health and when maxed, restores health whenever a teammate kills a cop, period. Her new SMG isn't anything special. Her melee is a reskin of the existing police baton. Her voice is a little annoying. At least her mask is rad.

All the menus have been redone for touchscreen controls. It works reasonably well. HD rumble feels good and is directional based. E.g., if I pick a lock and look at the lock dead on, I feel rumble in both joycons. If I look to my left, I only feel rumble in the right joycon.

This is the only version of the game to have LAN support. I don't have anyone to test this with.

The Crime.net screen only pings about five active lobbies at most. Half the time I try to join a lobby, the game softlocks trying to join. No one has ever joined a lobby I've hosted.

There is absolutely no voice or text chat. You cannot communicate with teammates beyond using shout commands and flailing about.

The pub stove is red loving hot. The hottest I have ever experienced in Payday. Every typical pub stove stereotype is in full effect.

When poo poo *actually* works though, it's Payday 2, for better or worse.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
I’m guessing they’re going with the “oh, poo poo” angle with the throwable jammers, like if you realize someone’s wandering in front of a camera or alerted a guard that they can’t get to. That sounds good, in theory.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Meanwhile:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

T-1000 mod when?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I hear Restoration mod is always open to new ideas; you should suggest it to those folks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Death Vox Update:

Iamgoofball is temporarily having to halt development due to a messed up GPU, but fear not: in the meantime, I, Vox, have figured out custom mapping! Death Vox Heists are happening! Don't worry, they're not using most of the horrible design things I've mentioned in the past iterations of this thread, because custom mapping tools are finicky.

:siren: Thread Poll:siren:

I need your advice. I want to have a decent variety of maps available when the mod launches, and at this point almost every heist is on the table. Which heists should I screw up for initial release? I've already got changes mostly plotted for Aftershock and Car Store. The only real restriction is I want to avoid altering maps with "boss characters" or Winters spawns, because those will require more attention from iamgoofball.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Death Vox Update:

Iamgoofball is temporarily having to halt development due to a messed up GPU, but fear not: in the meantime, I, Vox, have figured out custom mapping! Death Vox Heists are happening! Don't worry, they're not using most of the horrible design things I've mentioned in the past iterations of this thread, because custom mapping tools are finicky.

:siren: Thread Poll:siren:

I need your advice. I want to have a decent variety of maps available when the mod launches, and at this point almost every heist is on the table. Which heists should I screw up for initial release? I've already got changes mostly plotted for Aftershock and Car Store. The only real restriction is I want to avoid altering maps with "boss characters" or Winters spawns, because those will require more attention from iamgoofball.

1. Vanilla H&T bank heists as a yardstick. After that,
2. Brooklyn Bank
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Beneath the Mountain
5. Yacht Heist

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Clearly, it should be the zenith and the nadir of heisting: The Big Bank and Brooklyn 10-10.

But, Winters. So I guess... Golden Grin and Brooklyn 10-10?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I should mention here that one of the general Death Vox changes that will be happening on these heists is preplanning and assets are not available. The players are left with the default heist setup, with only a couple heist-specific changes (you will get an extra cutter on Alesso, for example).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 16, 2018

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
I would like loud versions of the forced stealth heists, please. Shadow Raid has Meltdown as an equivalent, but Car Shop and Yacht Heist should be amusing to play loud with new objectives and mechanics.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd be fine with a total removal of the stealth mechanics. They fuckin suck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Wastrel_ posted:

I would like loud versions of the forced stealth heists, please. Shadow Raid has Meltdown as an equivalent, but Car Shop and Yacht Heist should be amusing to play loud with new objectives and mechanics.

That's likely outside of scope for the mod, I'm afraid- plus converting a stealth only map to loud would be pretty agonizing, I'd have to basically rework the whole thing from the ground up. stealth only maps are missing a bunch of enemy navigation systems and spawnpoint elements, and ultimately they're not laid out in a way that would make loud play very enjoyable. Sometime down the line, once everything else is done with death vox, I may give this a shot, though.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm afraid I'm also wedded to preserving stealth and loud options for all the heists that currently have them (aside from Mallcrasher and Firestarter day 1). Furthermore the mechanical changes happening to stealth will also likely make it even less pleasant for people who don't enjoy it already.

On the other hand, when I'm done with these heists, no one's going to enjoy any of them! :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, the mechanics are the broken part, the rules are okay. It's just the whole "cops can see through a 1px misalignment in level geometry" thing that fuckin' sucks.

So yeah :agreed:o

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I will say that I'm not doing any of the most commonly proposed "quick fix" ways of making stealth harder, all of which are terrible. I've seen mods with faster alert time, wider enemy viewcones, even a flat pager reduction and re-introducing a small alert radius for silenced weapons, which is just :psyduck:.

The general stealth changes so far are:
  • Guards have a bit more health, so if you alert them and have a really weak gun you might not kill them in one hit.
  • Guards don't try to arrest you, they just open fire (might reverse this, it's really punishing).
  • Guards are immune to ECM feedback.

The vast, vast majority of death vox stealth changes have to be done on a map-by-map basis. For you loudfans, I can promise that, with the possible exception of Shadow Raid, the stealth only maps on Death Vox will have relatively easy changes to work around.

key word: relatively.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 16, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd probably be OK with the stealth if you got rid of the hard limit of 4 radio calls. And how heavily RNG factors into a successful run.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd probably be OK with the stealth if you got rid of the hard limit of 4 radio calls. And how heavily RNG factors into a successful run.

Most stealthable heists are designed with the 4 pager limit in mind; and luck plays a minimal role in high-level stealth play.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

I will say that I'm not doing any of the most commonly proposed "quick fix" ways of making stealth harder, all of which are terrible. I've seen mods with faster alert time, wider enemy viewcones, even a flat pager reduction.

• Guards have a bit more health, so if you alert them and have a really weak gun you might not kill them in one hit.
  • Guards don't try to arrest you, they just open fire (might reverse this, it's really punishing).

The vast, vast majority of death vox stealth changes have to be done on a map-by-map basis.

How about suppressors don't just remove the sound from the universe but simply make it so they can't be heard through walls, and rifles don't count as suppressed at all because they're firing supersonic rounds. I.e. you're really discouraged from using guns unless you're beaning some mook from another rooftop.

If you don't bag someone up quick they leave a bloodstain

You have to zip tie and then gag hostages (i.e. a second ziptie)

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
I think a fair change to stealth would be to make it easier for guards to be alerted (currently with 3 detection you can literally crouch-move about 10m in front of a guard and not get detected, which is stupid as gently caress) but to stop pagers from going off when you kill unalerted guards (yes, like in Silent Assassin). The pager limit can remain or even be reduced if 4 pagers is found to be too many in such a system.

That'll give the option of controlling any map, yet make it still require skill in not being detected, and will fix some of the stuff that doesn't make any sense in stealth.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Discendo Vox posted:

I will say that I'm not doing any of the most commonly proposed "quick fix" ways of making stealth harder, all of which are terrible. I've seen mods with faster alert time, wider enemy viewcones, even a flat pager reduction and re-introducing a small alert radius for silenced weapons, which is just :psyduck:.

The vast, vast majority of death vox stealth changes have to be done on a map-by-map basis. For you loudfans, I can promise that, with the possible exception of Shadow Raid, the stealth only maps on Death Vox will have relatively easy changes to work around.

key word: relatively.

It's hard to say because achievements weren't in from the beginning, but I'm going to assume that "high level stealth play" is enjoyed by something like 0.5% of the entire Payday 2 population. Can someone link me some videos of this high level stealth play? Are there people out there so good that any stealth mission is effortless? I realize I'm a scrub compared to most of you guys so I probably don't represent the target audience of what you're describing. I just know that restarting 50 times isn't fun, especially in a game with such a massive money/exp grind. All 50 of those restarts are straight up wastes of time and it just puts a sour taste in your mouth. Game mechanics should allow you to make mistakes and still be able to continue in some way, unless you're on the hardest difficulty or something.

I'm also describing from the perspective of someone who duo's the missions with a friend of mine. Obviously its a different story when you have 4 people. So far the best heist to stealth duo has been Jewelry Store because it just has the two guards (plus the security room guard) so you don't have to worry about the pager hard limit (which, once again, is the shittiest part of the stealth formula). It also has the alarm on display cases for an added wrinkle. The patrols are set up so that eventually the guards and/or the manager end up on their own, but you also have the option of just blasting the two guards simultaneously and both going for the pagers. This heist is good because it has mulitple ways to complete it. Some of the other ones feel like there's one solution.

Then there's something like Shadow Heist where the pieces you need might be right next to the entrance, or all the way in the fuckin back. That's what I meant by RNG factoring into the missions. What makes them so frustrating is, once again, the 4 pager hard limit.

Not even gonna talk about Mallcrashers. What would have fixed that would be some way to get guards and/or civilians to go somewhere. Like throwing a rock in Far Cry 3 or knocking on a wall in Metal Gear Solid. Just SOME way to distract them. Totally off the top of my head, pay a kid 50 bucks to steal something and run so that the guards chase him. Have a non-masked player engage the guard in some sort of conversation, causing him to look in a different direction. ANYTHING.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The only stealth level I genuinely like is Yacht Heist, the 4 pagers don't feel stifling, new guards don't come, there's plenty of places to duck into and peek from.