Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

You know when you get through the Cajon Pass on your way to Vegas and everything starts smelling like rear end when you're like halfway to Barstow?

That's Victorville.

Makes sense. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Victorville gave us the band Face to Face so early 90s me is cool with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tuxedo Gin posted:

unless you consider mockingly acknowledging its existence as "going to bat" for it.

:colbert:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Wasn’t Victorville trying to get a high speed rail hub built there so people would more or less be forced to stop there on the way to places that matter?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Wasn’t Victorville trying to get a high speed rail hub built there so people would more or less be forced to stop there on the way to places that matter?

They weren't alone. This is probably the reason the "test route" is being built in the rear end end of the Central Valley.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The planned high speed rail to Vegas starts in Victorville

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Duckbox posted:

They weren't alone. This is probably the reason the "test route" is being built in the rear end end of the Central Valley.

Wait, which end is the rear end end?

revolther
May 27, 2008

This isn't so much valid slight against Victorville as much as just the story of trains since trains started training it up.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
As someone who grew up in the High Desert, bless you all for dunking on my lovely hometown.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Okay so Victorville is the terminus of the XpressWest high speed rail system that’s supposed to run from Victorville to Vegas. This is a privately funded and built one but is also Harry Reid’s baby.

The California High Speed Rail has this weird dogleg out to Palmdale because they needed the support and funding from the Antelope Valley, instead of doing the sensible thing and using the Tejon Pass (grapevine) to cross the mountains from Sylmar to Bakersfield.

With that said, one of the projects that LACMTA has on their to-do list is a freeway/HSR line between Victorville and Palmdale to connect these two high speed rail lines.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, which end is the rear end end?

All of them

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

southern california continues to drag down the state and should be destroyed

looks like we got a feinstein lover here, lads

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
california ends at fresno

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

withak posted:

All of them

Correct answer, and I say this as a former resident of Marysville.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol at saying SoCal drags the state down considering that Twitter thread that just got posted. Don't even pretend that NorCal isn't full of some of the scummiest, most self absorbed people to walk the face of the planet since we decided it was our God given right to seize the state from Mexico

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
This thread could be renamed 'Bay-Area Bitching' and none of the content would change.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm so loving sick of the drivers here. I get that everyone is stressed but gently caress. The poo poo I am seeing on a daily basis is driving me mad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They're just dealing with the anger of having to pay an extra hundred bucks a month rent because they own a Corgi and their landlord thus treats them like some subhuman pet haver. Try to see it from their perspective!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Panfilo posted:

They're just dealing with the anger of having to pay an extra hundred bucks a month rent because they own a Corgi and their landlord thus treats them like some subhuman pet haver. Try to see it from their perspective!

oh, cool, you brought this bullshit over into the other california thread

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol at saying SoCal drags the state down considering that Twitter thread that just got posted. Don't even pretend that NorCal isn't full of some of the scummiest, most self absorbed people to walk the face of the planet since we decided it was our God given right to seize the state from Mexico

True, but also Irvine.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm so loving sick of the drivers here. I get that everyone is stressed but gently caress. The poo poo I am seeing on a daily basis is driving me mad.
Uber/lyft has drastically made it much worse. death to all uber/lyft drivers. they're terrible drivers and a public menace putting bikers, peds, and everyone else in danger constantly doing stupid poo poo, driving erratically really slow, fast, just randomly slamming on the brakes stopping the middle of a high-volume street

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

Okay so Victorville is the terminus of the XpressWest high speed rail system that’s supposed to run from Victorville to Vegas. This is a privately funded and built one but is also Harry Reid’s baby.

The California High Speed Rail has this weird dogleg out to Palmdale because they needed the support and funding from the Antelope Valley, instead of doing the sensible thing and using the Tejon Pass (grapevine) to cross the mountains from Sylmar to Bakersfield.

With that said, one of the projects that LACMTA has on their to-do list is a freeway/HSR line between Victorville and Palmdale to connect these two high speed rail lines.

Tejon Ranch Company owns all the land around the grapevine and wanted nothing to do with the project. Harris Ranch, Paramount Farms and other billionaires own everything else north of there along the 5 corridor and wanted nothing to do with it either. Remember, the initial goal of the project was to connect SF (area) to LA at high speed not Merced to Bakersfield at medium speed and hope the rest works itself out later - so the most direct route would have been ideal regardless of no "population" along 5.

They all should have been forced at gunpoint to accept the high speed rail lines. :commissar:

I still think the entire project was designed to never get done and be a failure/boondoggle to thwart any other similar projects from every being created and Jerry
is just hoping that it can still just work somehow as planned. :tinfoil:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 5, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why didn't imminent domain come into play for establishing a high speed rail right of way through the middle of nowhere?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

Uber/lyft has drastically made it much worse. death to all uber/lyft drivers. they're terrible drivers and a public menace putting bikers, peds, and everyone else in danger constantly doing stupid poo poo, driving erratically really slow, fast, just randomly slamming on the brakes stopping the middle of a high-volume street

Why would you say death to Uber/Lyft drivers, and not death to Uber/Lyft themselves, which are the actual problem?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I used to hate SoCal until I actually visited and met people there. I’ll definitely take your native Los Angeleno over your uptight, pretentious Bay Area native.

Xaris posted:

Doesn’t help that so many of them aren’t from around here and would be totally lost all the time if it wasn’t for GPSes.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I used to hate SoCal until I actually visited and met people there. I’ll definitely take your native Los Angeleno over your uptight, pretentious Bay Area native.

lol pretending that the entire population in a certain area all acts a certain way, is pretty fuckin stupid, FYI.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Exactly what an uptight, pretentious Bay Area native would say

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just wish bay area drivers would use their goddamn turn signals.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Panfilo posted:

Why didn't imminent domain come into play for establishing a high speed rail right of way through the middle of nowhere?

Why doesn't it come into play constantly all over? Because of peoples freedoms or something. I dunno. Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette. Some people are gonna get hosed but 20 years from now it will be so much better.

They need to imminent domain the gently caress out of the state. Expand freeways in socal all over. Run more trains everywhere. Just say gently caress it and do it. Abloo abloo. It's easier for poors to get to marin now. So loving what. Oh no, a black person took bart to Danville and got off the train. gently caress you.

This state is hosed.

Build another bridge from Candlestick to the Oakland Coliseum area while you are at it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Expand freeways in socal all over.

Revolutionary urban planning takes itt

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you don't think expanding the 5 by a lane or two running through the metro area would help, I dunno what to tell you.

Same with the 101.

Alternately, just blow the whole place up. It's not like it contributes anything of value any more.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm sorry to inform you that the future has no room for cars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

If you don't think expanding the 5 by a lane or two running through the metro area would help, I dunno what to tell you.

Same with the 101.

Alternately, just blow the whole place up. It's not like it contributes anything of value any more.

Pretty much the entire field of scientific traffic studies disagrees with you. Building more lanes won’t reduce traffic.

Here’s a explainer from wired:

quote:

As a kid, I used to ask my parents why they couldn’t just build more lanes on the freeway. Maybe transform them all into double-decker highways with cars zooming on the upper and lower levels. Except, as it turns out, that wouldn’t work. Because if there’s anything that traffic engineers have discovered in the last few decades it’s that you can’t build your way out of congestion. It’s the roads themselves that cause traffic.

The concept is called induced demand, which is economist-speak for when increasing the supply of something (like roads) makes people want that thing even more. Though some traffic engineers made note of this phenomenon at least as early as the 1960s, it is only in recent years that social scientists have collected enough data to show how this happens pretty much every time we build new roads. These findings imply that the ways we traditionally go about trying to mitigate jams are essentially fruitless, and that we’d all be spending a lot less time in traffic if we could just be a little more rational.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm going to disagree. The 5 narrows to 3 lanes at points where any other freeway would be 5 lanes. There is no way that adding 2 lanes wouldn't help matters. Especially when it is 5 lanes on either side of that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm going to disagree. The 5 narrows to 3 lanes at points where any other freeway would be 5 lanes. There is no way that adding 2 lanes wouldn't help matters. Especially when it is 5 lanes on either side of that.

Good job dismissing a bunch of peer reviewed science because it doesn’t agree with your gut.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Trabisnikof posted:

Pretty much the entire field of scientific traffic studies disagrees with you. Building more lanes won’t reduce traffic.

Here’s a explainer from wired:

It seems like it's saying it does work, but more people end up using the roads because of it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Panfilo posted:

The "middle of nowhere" areas the HSR goes through are owned by the vast agriculture oligarchs who own the entire central valley and have enough power that they won't dare give up an inch of land to California withought a drawn-out legal fight.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Same with the 101.

I hope you realize how knee jerky and superficial your thought process is. Do the reading before you click post.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It wouldn't be a California thread without the entirely one-sided "NorCal/SoCal" beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

california ends at fresno

Yes. But it is an East/West dividing line.