Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A human heart posted:

The first three Venom albums completely rule and it's bizarre to say that they suck or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ahhh gently caress never mind I’m an idiot BLACK METAL rules

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A human heart posted:

The first three Venom albums completely rule and it's bizarre to say that they suck or whatever

Welcome to hell is the best but yes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I always forget how catchy the vocals are.

Sorry for talking bad about you my beautiful metal prince

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
:wow:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Just got to the venue for Watain/D666/Ares Kingdom. KK was out front for a smoke break and when he tried to slip back in got hassled by a black bouncer. Luckily KK only called him a motherfucker and it didn’t escalate.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

That happens a lot if you get into music via the internet which lots of people do nowadays, fortunately you can also remedy the situation with the internet.

i got introduced into metal as a freshman in high school by a senior who wore a leather jacket 24/7 and got me to listen to a bunch of overkill, possessed, and venom, and then eventually letting me borrow his bootleg VHS of SOD's "Live at Budokan".

i cant imagine going any other route.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Just got to the venue for Watain/D666/Ares Kingdom. KK was out front for a smoke break and when he tried to slip back in got hassled by a black bouncer. Luckily KK only called him a motherfucker and it didn’t escalate.

"Hassled" as in "aren't you the guy who got his rear end kicked for calling another musician a friend of the family", or...?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's a good and notable story but I suspect it might be apocryphal

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The discussion about discovering prominent bands late made me realise I never really paid attention to Venom, and I queued up their discography on Spotify.

I am glad this happened.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 4, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Smirr posted:

"Hassled" as in "aren't you the guy who got his rear end kicked for calling another musician a friend of the family", or...?

I don’t think a lot of bouncers read metalsucks

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry for talking bad about you my beautiful metal prince

its ok, this guy also hates venom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEjgaezVrA

he lists them as his #1 hated band of all time. it's a p. amusing video

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

#nofilter

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

His shirt reminds me that Varg is also on the record as never having listened to Venom, ever. But my absolute favorite claim of not listening to Venom of course goes to: Quorthon, who said that he first heard them after recording Bathory's debut, on which he rips off a couple of Venom lyrics verbatim.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

its ok, this guy also hates venom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEjgaezVrA

he lists them as his #1 hated band of all time. it's a p. amusing video

Dude seriously wearing a Burzum shirt.

I say this as someone who owns a Burzum shirt because I was an edge lord at one point but that poo poo stays buried in the closet.

I'd rather be an rear end in a top hat wearing a Deafheaven shirt than wearing a Burzum shirt at this point.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
one of the unintended consequences of the decline of music stores is all the unemployed dorks resorting to youtube to get in their monthly quota of endless harangues about poo poo nobody in their right mind cares about

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

"Count Blagorath", the dude wearing a Burzum shirt and bitching about how he hates Venom, also has an 11 minute video on how much he likes Cradle of Filth lol

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Smirr posted:

He got asked for his ID like he was a member of the audience and instead of telling the dude he was in one of the bands he told the dude to go gently caress himself and walked past him and when the guy pressed him he called him a motherfucker and another bouncer had to come over and tell the dude he was in one of the bands.

In fairness to KK he was wearing a shirt that said “I AM KK WARSLUT”

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
I'm not bagging on anyone specifically but are most black metal fans dorks or is it just the vocal ones?

I used to have a regular when I drove cab who would go to this bar's karaoke nights and try to sing black metal songs. This bar was the only "metal club" in the whole area and they were only that on the second Tuesday of the month.

Anyway she never got to sing actual black metal songs because the DJ never had, nor do I think anyone makes, black metal karaoke discs. To solve this she would just sing non black metal songs like they were black metal. This went as well as you're thinking. She'd get through one song, maybe, and spend the rest of the night getting trashed, shrieking along to whatever other people where butchering, and eventually getting back in my cab after getting 86'd.

That's just one of many stories I've got about metal dorks of all genres from this club. The night the owners inadvertently had an extremely right wing local metalish band on the same bill as a extremely left wing local punk band was quite something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We're all dorks for liking metal at all

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

In fairness to KK he was wearing a shirt that said “I AM KK WARSLUT”

lol

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

We're all dorks for liking metal at all

I can't disagree with that. Does liking jazz and various classical composers even that out or make worse I wonder.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just saw Mammoth Grinder who I only knew a little of previously but they were really great. The sound was top notch, I think the bassist playing through guitar and bass amps helped. When a metal band is wearing GISM and Anti Cimex shirts it’s a good sign imo.

Skullshitter was also very good, and entertaining as hell. I’d love to have them play a house party.

Jeremy_X posted:

The night the owners inadvertently had an extremely right wing local metalish band on the same bill as a extremely left wing local punk band was quite something.

:allears: go on....

E-nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 4, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jeremy_X posted:

I can't disagree with that. Does liking jazz and various classical composers even that out or make worse I wonder.

If you’re not a complete dork about everything you’re loving up and should embrace the void

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jeremy_X posted:

To solve this she would just sing non black metal songs like they were black metal.

if you do this with non metal songs it's pretty funny tbqh

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smirr posted:

His shirt reminds me that Varg is also on the record as never having listened to Venom, ever. But my absolute favorite claim of not listening to Venom of course goes to: Quorthon, who said that he first heard them after recording Bathory's debut, on which he rips off a couple of Venom lyrics verbatim.

Varg likes to revise history a lot, iirc he wore a venom shirt at his trial and I'm sure he's heard them. Quorthon was also notorious for lying or making stuff up in interviews

Jeremy_X posted:

I'm not bagging on anyone specifically but are most black metal fans dorks or is it just the vocal ones?

I used to have a regular when I drove cab who would go to this bar's karaoke nights and try to sing black metal songs. This bar was the only "metal club" in the whole area and they were only that on the second Tuesday of the month.

Anyway she never got to sing actual black metal songs because the DJ never had, nor do I think anyone makes, black metal karaoke discs. To solve this she would just sing non black metal songs like they were black metal. This went as well as you're thinking. She'd get through one song, maybe, and spend the rest of the night getting trashed, shrieking along to whatever other people where butchering, and eventually getting back in my cab after getting 86'd.

That's just one of many stories I've got about metal dorks of all genres from this club. The night the owners inadvertently had an extremely right wing local metalish band on the same bill as a extremely left wing local punk band was quite something.

That's just a cool drunk person who happens to like black metal

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A human heart posted:

Varg likes to revise history a lot, iirc he wore a venom shirt at his trial and I'm sure he's heard them.

Don’t have the photos in front of me but if I recall it was Von’s Satanic Blood shirt. They used to have a thing on their web page about it like “this probably made us more money than anything else that we ever did”

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Doing Karoke with a pleasant song and injecting filthy vocals is a cool move, at least once.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I don't know, it makes me think of the time a friend played me Limp Bizkit's cover of Faith and I thought as soon as the "heavy" part kicked in it was one of the worst things I'd ever heard (still true).

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Danny LaFever posted:

Doing Karoke with a pleasant song and injecting filthy vocals is a cool move, at least once.

ive been banned for life from karaoke at the bar within walking distance for this.

also banned from their trivia but lets not get into that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ive been banned for life from karaoke at the bar within walking distance for this.

also banned from their trivia but lets not get into that.

I feel like we deserve the story on this.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Vargatron posted:

I feel like we deserve the story on this.

"I swear to god if you answer 'Bolt Thrower' to another question you are banned for life!
Now, question 3: Which river runs through the city of London?"

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
I saw someone wearing a Burzum shirt last night at a Fleet Foxes concert asking where the VIP section was

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Danny LaFever posted:

This. When drunk enough, I can belt out Roxanne while sounding like Gilbert Godfrey. It's truly something.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anyone know how much pre-Hunter stuff Mastodon plays these days? I just got tickets for them and Primus. They're two of my top 5 all time but Mastodon earned that place more with the first decade of their career.

Probably a small enough amount that you will be disappointed. They had a 90 minute set at Bloodstock 2016 and probably a bit over half was pre-Hunter, but I imagine the shorter the set the less early stuff they play. Plus Emperor of Sand has come out since then.

That being said i've seen Mastodon three times and they ruled each time so go see 'em

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Long ways back I was buds with a guy that did vocals for a metal band, and once upon a time we ended up in a karaoke bar. Place was full of drunk asian dudes singing as poorly as you'd expect. I get it, that's the "point" of karaoke.

But then my bro hops up there and does some bon jovi (curiously the catalog was real light on death metal) and loving nails it. To that point I'd only heard him scream and growl into a mic, and to listen to him replicate a perfect version of Jovi's vocals was a real holy poo poo moment. I'm sure plenty of metal singers are excellent vocalists but until you get to hear them do it it's impossible to imagine.

At any rate, place was bouncing real good after that. I felt real bad for the person that had to sing next.

Also,

https://i.imgur.com/vSlwLEE.gifv

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

This. When drunk enough, I can belt out Roxanne while sounding like Gilbert Godfrey. It's truly something.

It's Gottfried you drat pretender

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
got a new idea for a band, guys:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you happen to watch the GDC lecture of how Mick Gordon did the Doom 2016 soundtrack? That's basically what he did.. a single input split into four paths. All four paths were chains of distortion pedals and feedback loops that were eventually merged back together at a compressor.

I've tried to copy it just to see if I could play around with it and get nothing but clipped noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

got a new idea for a band, guys:

Needs a Crybaby wah