Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

did they make it so that if you were way out in the blue you take even more damage? Had some weird loving poo poo last game we waited camping a bridge, killed the dudes but the blue passed us. After they were dead we hopped in the car and started to get out of there and we all started dying like we were being punched to death, but it said play zone killed us.

The amount of damage done increases with each change in the play zone, and in october they changed it so that distance from playzone is also a factor, where the further from the play zone you are, the more damage you will take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lohli posted:

The amount of damage done increases with each change in the play zone, and in october they changed it so that distance from playzone is also a factor, where the further from the play zone you are, the more damage you will take.

guess i havent spent much time in the blue in a while

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Shotguns, how do they work??? I don't think I hit this dude once until the shot that knocked him https://clips.twitch.tv/ToughFragileQueleaStinkyCheese

E: Checked the replay, he was at half health by the time he jumped from the roof, the next two shots got him down to 10%, and the third alley shot knocked him

Also managed to get crossbowed in such a way that it perfectly blocked the loving scope, but only when I leaned to the right https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualSincereCocoaDogFace

uniball posted:

speaking of Cars Only...i'm burned out on editing actual videos but here are some of our clips from the last couple weeks

These are awesome, but you should also keep editing because those videos are a treasure. The one where you pinned the UAZ with three cars so he could run and get the pan and run back and bonk the dude is so, so good

Found a neat way to get to/from some balconies in Pochinki, could save your life: https://clips.twitch.tv/SincerePrettiestMelonPrimeMe

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 5, 2018

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

GarethOmni posted:

This game has finally hit a spot where it isn't bugging out 24/7. But that will probably change at the next update.
Yeah you're probably right, and part of my enjoying myself probably comes down to the fact that the miramar files mysteriously went missing off my hard-drive around the same time they got this game as optimised as it is now - have to say not missing that map at all.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

guess i havent spent much time in the blue in a while

You used to be able to run around in the blue up to the second circle just by popping a painkiller. Now it’s a death sentence if you get a bad second circle placement. The later circles kill much faster now too. I’ve seen a lot more circle deaths when the game gets down to top 20 or so. The circles just do too much damage. It’s not a bad thing. Just something to be aware of.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should change circle timings to the tourney settings it's way better.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Groovelord Neato posted:

they should change circle timings to the tourney settings it's way better.

What's different?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What's the timing like in tourneys?

Honestly, I like the circle changes. You shouldn't be able to stay in the blue and tank damage, but the blue shouldn't move so fast that you'll die to it in the later circles even if you're running full speed towards the white. The new changes fixed both of these issues.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the first circle timer is shorter but the others are longer.

Elman posted:

Honestly, I like the circle changes. You shouldn't be able to stay in the blue and tank damage, but the blue shouldn't move so fast that you'll die to it in the later circles even if you're running full speed towards the white. The new changes fixed both of these issues.

it was pretty obnoxious watching streamers loot for several minutes after the blue passed them, the changes are definitely good.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Elman posted:

What's the timing like in tourneys?

The timing Isn’t different but the circle size is. The first circle is 0.5km smaller while subsequent circles are slightly bigger. This means less rushing to circles so you can focus more on positioning and fighting. It’s a small change but it would make a big difference I think.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

very stable genius posted:

The timing Isn’t different but the circle size is. The first circle is 0.5km smaller while subsequent circles are slightly bigger. This means less rushing to circles so you can focus more on positioning and fighting. It’s a small change but it would make a big difference I think.

They also slowed the closing speed down a lot. In turney settings you can easily outrun the blue closing again to allow for more planned fights and repositioning.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, the tourney circles actually allow you to be able to take a fight before having to make your way in. In the regular game, you are boned if you happen to run into someone trying to get into the circle.

Got the M249 last night after two kar98 headshots on the guys fighting over the crate. 8 kill solo dinner felt good. The M249 is still my favorite gun.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yea, the tourney circles actually allow you to be able to take a fight before having to make your way in. In the regular game, you are boned if you happen to run into someone trying to get into the circle.

Got the M249 last night after two kar98 headshots on the guys fighting over the crate. 8 kill solo dinner felt good. The M249 is still my favorite gun.

It would seem the Player unkown's ego is too big to admit the the red zone is dumb and the circle setup in game should be changed.

Let's hope he comes to his senses.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I like the redzone :shobon:

Is it enabled in tournaments? If it is it probably shouldn't be

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Rex-Goliath posted:

Is it enabled in tournaments? If it is it probably shouldn't be

It was not enabled in the IEM tournament.
It was enabled during the Twitch Rivals tournament.

Usually, it is disabled in tournaments.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Hardcore mode with no kill feed, no kill confirmations, no player count visible, and double damage. I’d play the gently caress out of it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The red zone would be interesting if it was actually deadly and it forced you to leave the area. As it is, it's just a random "you can't hear footsteps in this area" effect. It may as well be rain.

(On that note, they really need to fix the sound balance in this game. The red zone, cars and the plane are way too loud compared to everything else)

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

it objectively sucks.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it objectively sucks.

thats literally objectively your opinion

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's no reason for it to exist. it does the opposite of what it seems they put it in for.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i happen to agree but thats not an objective truth or anything. area denial mechanics could be interesting if they were implemented better

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Whaaaat if...you got a flare gun from a crate drop, and this went into your pistol slot, and then you called down a single red zone artillery barrage with it?

Ehhh, probably way too powerful for the final circles if it had the same radius as it has now. That probably explains why I've never seen a red zone in the end-game too on that note.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I won my first solo FPP game for a while last night, and I have no idea how. Only me and one other guy left, I'm behind a rock and he's behind a tree downhill from me. He throws a grenade to my left and I pop him a couple of times, no message saying he died popped up. Carry on scoping down, few second pass, then I get my delicious chicken dinner.

I can only assume there was a bit of lag, or he grenaded himself.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

EvilHawk posted:

I won my first solo FPP game for a while last night, and I have no idea how. Only me and one other guy left, I'm behind a rock and he's behind a tree downhill from me. He throws a grenade to my left and I pop him a couple of times, no message saying he died popped up. Carry on scoping down, few second pass, then I get my delicious chicken dinner.

I can only assume there was a bit of lag, or he grenaded himself.

https://pubg.op.gg/

If you really care, you can look yourself up here. If you click on the second place persons name for that match, it should show how he died. Maybe you hit him up a decent amount and he was still in the blue zone a bit?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I have no problem with the red zone. It’s usually just a loud annoyance if I find myself in it. But on the other hand, if I can actively avoid it or escape it quickly I’ll do that because I’ve been randomly killed by it too many times to consider it harmless.

That said, if the red zone functioned like the blue where you just took damage for being in it, it would force people out and I think make the game more interesting.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Rex-Goliath posted:

What's different?

Each one is a little different, but Auzom has them listed here: https://pubg.auzom.gg/rules/

They surprisingly didn't just pull numbers out of their asses, but did surveys and play tests

E: When you push a house at just the right time https://clips.twitch.tv/VenomousHealthyLardKreygasm

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 5, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Last night, in the red zone, my team mates expressed concern about driving through in a hippie van and I said something like "there's really very few strikes, what are the odds?". We were all dead within the minute.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Last night, in the red zone, my team mates expressed concern about driving through in a hippie van and I said something like "there's really very few strikes, what are the odds?". We were all dead within the minute.
Yeah, maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I basically don’t change my direction or speed when going through the red zone, and don’t think I’ve ever been killed by it (until now though obviously).

So uhh.. was the micro UZI buffed? I’ve been killed with it late game a couple times now, when I would have assumed it would have been dropped in favor of something better. I mean, it killed me so it clearly worked. One of those was straight up against my vector w/ extended mag and silencer (probably some aim factor there I assume).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If Playerunkown really wants this game to be an E-Sport then he should give us a competitive matchmaking queue with the same server settings as in those pro games, short queue times be damned.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Fantastipotamus posted:

So uhh.. was the micro UZI buffed? I’ve been killed with it late game a couple times now, when I would have assumed it would have been dropped in favor of something better. I mean, it killed me so it clearly worked. One of those was straight up against my vector w/ extended mag and silencer (probably some aim factor there I assume).

My first win of the season was a game where I played stealth uzi assassin without bothering to pick up any items other than uzi upgrades, ammo, and health. It was amazing. I definitely benefited from extreme circle luck though.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

very stable genius posted:

My first win of the season was a game where I played stealth uzi assassin without bothering to pick up any items other than uzi upgrades, ammo, and health. It was amazing. I definitely benefited from extreme circle luck though.
Man, I would watch the poo poo out of this on twitch.

I suppose the likely answers here are a) the uzi is less disposable than I assume it to be (esp silenced/extendo -mag and folding stock), and b) it’s probably a bit of a tell that I am, in fact, pretty miserable at this game. :)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The entire core concept of the battle royale game genre is almost completely incompatable with being a viewable esport, let alone how pubg implements that genre makes it that much harder. Stop trying to make everything an esport, video game people.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think if you took a game and edited it down to the relevant players and then released it it would be interesting. Kind of like following a twitch stream of 4 or 5 players at once, the rest of the server is just fodder (which it is). You couldn't watch live, but I bet you could spit out an edit in just a few hours.

I dunno if anyone cares enough to do that, but that would make it watchable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

drunken officeparty posted:

The entire core concept of the battle royale game genre is almost completely incompatable with being a viewable esport, let alone how pubg implements that genre makes it that much harder. Stop trying to make everything an esport, video game people.

Given how popular esports are now, businesses think it's an easy way to make big bucks fast, so they all do it.

It's why every Blizzard game is an esport now. Except Diablo.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
As Shroud said, if you throw enough money at a game you can turn it into an e-sport. It doesn't mean it's a GOOD e-sport. That also doesn't mean it's a bad game.

My opinions:

Game: Fun & Good.
E-sport: Bad (too much RNG) & not very watchable.
Will it continue to have tournaments because of the massive amount of money being thrown at it? Yes.
Can the e-sport part improve? Certainly! I just don't know how and don't have any great ideas.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah esports is just marketing now. overwatch is trash as a competitive game but blizzard knows it's great marketing to make a league. the days of a well balanced game growing a competitive scene naturally are over.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
They already made the perfect esport, and it's CS:GO imo

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

abigserve posted:

They already made the perfect esport, and it's Rocket League imo

FTFY

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

abigserve posted:

They already made the perfect esport, and it's CS:GO imo

15+ years in the making, and yes, it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd rather have, other than esports, a charity mode or something that lasts 48 hours with a huuuuge map and there are no scheduled breaks. Posts sentries while you sleep gamers, I'll watch highlights when it's done.