Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ackerman and Goode were miscast in Watchmen, although apparently Snyder originally wanted Jude Law for Veidt.

Sure, but almost everyone else was literally perfect, save maybe Gugino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Jude Law would have been amazing holy poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/JohnFDaley/status/970006947515662336

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't you post this earlier

Or was that some one else

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Didn't you post this earlier

Or was that some one else

Ah you're right, it was posted earlier, my bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a moment I thought you were talking about Batman directing a movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ah you're right, it was posted earlier, my bad.

Nah, you're cool.

A lot of poo poo went down in this thread since then.

Also, Oscar Award Winning Suicide Squad is still the only Cinematic Universe superhero movie to win an Oscar between Marvel and DC.

One day Marvel is going to come up with some amazing, earth shattering film that is going to be genuinely just the best thing ever and it's going to win an Oscar and deserve it

And it's going to make me a little sad all the same, because Oscar Award Winning Movie Suicide Squad will be just a bit less funny then.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am bummed that we are not getting third movie of Ron Perlman as Hellboy but I did start the second season of Stranger Things and I can see David Harbour in the role.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Burkion posted:

One day Marvel is going to come up with some amazing, earth shattering film that is going to be genuinely just the best thing ever and it's going to win an Oscar and deserve it

And maybe one day a Mcdonalds restaurant will get a Michelin star, but I'm not holding out hope for either.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

McCloud posted:

And maybe one day a Mcdonalds restaurant will get a Michelin star, but I'm not holding out hope for either.

Once Disney wins the franchise wars, all movies will be marvel movies

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 5, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burkion posted:

Nah, you're cool.

A lot of poo poo went down in this thread since then.

Also, Oscar Award Winning Suicide Squad is still the only Cinematic Universe superhero movie to win an Oscar between Marvel and DC.

And it's going to make me a little sad all the same, because Oscar Award Winning Movie Suicide Squad will be just a bit less funny then.

It'll be even funnier, because it will be implicitly compared to the Oscar Award Winning Movie Suicide Squad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally saw Black Panther.

The krypton comparisons I find apt, but I don't believe Wakanda is a doomed society like Krypton. It is only potentially doomed. Klaw who has the most negative view of them says they can mine their mountain for thousands of years. Wakanda could become Krypton in the far future if they did that and remained isolated, but they choose not to in the end, they go the opposite direction of Krypton, into the wider universe.

I saw the dynamic of Killmonger who was clearly a bad person but politically not entirely wrong, and T'Challa, who was fundamentally a good person but politically not very right, really interesting. T'Challa was a friendly moderate from a conservative family who was being driven to the left by his younger more progressive friends, but couldn't make those steps due to his adherence to tradition and conservatism ingrained into him by his family. He needed a Killmonger to truly push him towards progress and outreach towards improving lives the oppressed, though by different means. Radical extremism does push moderates to the left. I don't think the film condones radical extremism as a method for doing this, rather, it shows radical extremism as a consequence of inaction. Seeing what Killmonger has become makes T'Challa realize his own faults and that he has to do more, because if he doesn't there will always be another Killmonger. There will always be an oppressed that rises against the oppressor, and there will be those who go too far, because polite friendly moderation doesn't go far enough. Killmonger down appear from nothing, he's a direct consequence of generations of inaction.

I've seen some people compare the two to Malcolm X and MLK Jr, a comparison that is dumb as poo poo, because Malcolm X was not as violent and scary as people want to pretend, and certainly no Killmonger, while MLK Jr was nowhere near as moderate and toothless as polite media wants to portray. But, the main thing I can take from such comparisons, is there is a middle ground between the two, and I think there is a middle ground between Killmonger and T'Challa, where T'Challa hopefully ends up.

He starts in the middle ground and ends up in the middle ground, but the middle ground has been redefined by a radical revolutionary. That doesn't make the radical a hero, but it does make Black Panther wise for being able to recognize what was right about him despite his flaws and make adjustments. There are three ways you can go when you are faced with a revolution. Stand your ground, go further to the right, or relent. I think Black Panther as a character and as a movie picks the right path.

Though I have a couple problems with the movie, mainly the completely unnecessary and muddling Martin Freeman character being there to give a sympathetic voice to colonialism, and the government system (executive rule by complete Fiat, inheritance or Noble trial by combat only, men only) being an insanely bad one. I'm not saying they gotta be a western democracy or anything but Jesus that seems like a terrible way to run things. They've just gotten lucky to not have any maniacs for hundreds of years.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Though I have a couple problems with the movie, mainly the completely unnecessary and muddling Martin Freeman character being there to give a sympathetic voice to colonialism
but if he wasn't in the movie we wouldn't have gotten the rad scene of m'baku and his dudes hooting over him until he shut the gently caress up

Serf
May 5, 2011

the net effect of freeman's character being in the movie is that t'challa works with the cia to reinstall himself as ruler and thus enable favorable relations with the rest of the world. its massively hosed up

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serf posted:

the net effect of freeman's character being in the movie is that t'challa works with the cia to reinstall himself as ruler and thus enable favorable relations with the rest of the world. its massively hosed up

He didn't really take part in the Wakandan civil war at all apart from sharing some intel on Killmonger, he just just shot down some planes that were posing a threat to the outside world and which had zero impact on the fighting on the ground.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He didn't really take part in the Wakandan civil war at all apart from sharing some intel on Killmonger, he just just shot down some planes that were posing a threat to the outside world and which had zero impact on the fighting on the ground.

yep, he certainly didn't take part except for when he took part by killing some wakandans on behalf of t'challa

of course that is missing the forest for the trees when it comes to positive depictions of the cia

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

he didn't take part except for when he killed a bunch of africans threatening to arm other black people

only the cia gets to arm minorities so they can be sure they kill the right people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The CIA thing gets a bit weird given he's not exactly on orders from Uncle Sam to do anything but buy vibranium from the one guy in the world who has a supply, iirc. He ends up involved basically by happenstance, and returns the life saving favour by aiding the people who took a huge risk for him.

It's the mere use of those three letters that, understandably, makes it get iffy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think the AV Club just made me a featured commenter because I made a comment praising Zack Snyder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

he didn't take part except for when he killed a bunch of africans threatening to arm other black people

.... who were heading out to stage armed attacks on various cities around the world including New York hmm yes the CIA certainly should have just stood aside and let that happen

Serf
May 5, 2011

.... who were heading out to stage armed attacks on various cities around the world including New York hmm yes the CIA certainly should have just stood aside and let that happen

no one is arguing that his actions were irrational or out of line with what the cia does

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If Freeman hadn't been there at the end nothing would change. There's two outcomes here: Black Panther wins the civil war and orders the foreign agents in other countries to stand down or Killmonger wins and he just sends out a second wave of supply ships. It's an ugly scene which is just there to give the CIA a heroic moment by drone striking some Bad Guys With Guns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's a humorous moment in one of the comics where Ross (the CIA guy) is called in by the State Department to brief some generals on Wakanda, since he spent time there and knows Black Panther. And then he gets kicked out again when he truthfully says they're stronger than the United States, everyone has impossible superweapons there, and we can't possibly defend against them regardless of planning.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Serf posted:

no one is arguing that his actions were irrational or out of line with what the cia does
the exact opposite in fact

only the cia gets to decide which militants get superweapons

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's an ugly scene which is just there to give the CIA a heroic moment by drone striking some Bad Guys With Guns.

The film was pretty weird about his character. He starts out as sarcastic and morally grey (cutting a deal with a known murderer/terrorist like Klaue to get what he needs) and competent enough to keep T'Challa from taking Klaue but not competent enough to stop Killmonger from breaking him out, but then he takes a bullet for Nakia and is taken to Wakanda where he turns into a bumbling comedy relief character who is insulted and ignored and pushed around for nearly 1/3 of the film but who still has a heart of gold and who risks his own life to stop the weapon caches from leaving Wakanda.

It felt like they were trying to show that he had a change of heart once he had his life saved by Wakandan technology but they never quite fleshed that out.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

also this but unironically

Serf
May 5, 2011

The film was pretty weird about his character. He starts out as sarcastic and morally grey (cutting a deal with a known murderer/terrorist like Klaue to get what he needs) and competent enough to keep T'Challa from taking Klaue but not competent enough to stop Killmonger from breaking him out, but then he takes a bullet for Nakia and is taken to Wakanda where he turns into a bumbling comedy relief character who is insulted and ignored and pushed around for nearly 1/3 of the film but who still has a heart of gold and who risks his own life to stop the weapon caches from leaving Wakanda.

It felt like they were trying to show that he had a change of heart once he had his life saved by Wakandan technology but they never quite fleshed that out.

change of heart would imply that he does something that would cost him. he simply acts in accordance with what any cia agent would do in his situation, installs an agreeable absolute monarch, and is rewarded with wakanda deciding to share their technology with their international enemies

how long until some "wakandan" terrorists attack an american location, some sad remnant of killmonger's rebellion, which then gives america the sad burden of turning their newly-acquired wakandan tech on this rogue nation to pacify them and take control of their vibranium mines. perhaps there would be some coalition of the willing involved as well?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serf posted:

he simply acts in accordance with what any cia agent would do in his situation, installs an agreeable absolute monarch

He doesn't do that. You're deliberately misrepresenting the plot of the movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also I didn't quite get why Killmonger needed to get a buyer in Busan for the vibranium? It seemed his plan all along was to kill Klaw and use him to get into Wakanda. So after getting him working for him and involved in the heist, why not just do that? Why stage a sale at all? My only thinking on this was he wanted to use the CIA and Wakandans to thin his numbers, but that's a little convoluted, his plan to take the throne is very simple.

Also, I've seen a number of people claim Black Panther usurps the throne KM rightfully won... I don't think that's correct. As he said in the movie, he did not yield, and he was not killed. The challenge was still live. He was still King and KM was still challenging him. T'Challa doesn't reinstall himself. Technically he was never uninstalled.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 5, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

He doesn't do that. You're deliberately misrepresenting the plot of the movie.

cia is bad
change my mind

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I mean the dude spent the back half of the film just doing exactly what wakandans told him to do and then is just sitting in the back of a room in the credits sequence

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also I didn't quite get why Killmonger needed to get a buyer in Busan for the vibranium? It seemed his plan all along was to kill Klaw and use him to get into Wakanda. So after getting him working for him and involved in the heist, why not just do that? Why stage a sale at all? My only thinking on this was he wanted to use the CIA and Wakandans to thin his numbers, but that's a little convoluted, his plan to take the throne is very simple.

Also, I've seen a number of people claim Black Panther usurps the throne KM rightfully won... I don't think that's correct. As he said in the movie, he did not yield, and he was not killed. The challenge was still live. He was still King and KM was still challenging him. T'Challa doesn't reinstall himself. Technically he was never uninstalled.
Figure he wanted to show T'Chala as an impotent enforcer of justice by coming back empty handed from Busan.
This y'all king and all

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

One thing I didn't quite get in Black Panther, sorry if I missed a scene in the movie somewhere. The glowing writing on the inside of their lip, is it there from birth or do that tattoo it when they're children?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Farg posted:

I mean the dude spent the back half of the film just doing exactly what wakandans told him to do and then is just sitting in the back of a room in the credits sequence

so he quietly does everything he can to assist the friendly absolute monarch, and then quietly watches him hand over his stuff to the united loving nations

sounds like an authentic intelligence agent experience

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They don't say in the film. It was blurry so I couldn't even tell it was writing. I thought it was an organic mark as vibranium had worked its way into the ecosystem, but if it's writing of course it would have to be a tattoo.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's cool that you hate the CIA and all but no one else gives half as much a gently caress about that minor character in Black Panther so maybe you should consider moving on.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's a tattoo. Killmonger explicitly has one because his dad gave it to him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rough Lobster posted:

It's cool that you hate the CIA and all but no one else gives half as much a gently caress about that minor character in Black Panther so maybe you should consider moving on.

Building your entire reading of Black Panther around the token white guy used for comic relief sure is... something? :thunk:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a tattoo. Killmonger explicitly has one because his dad gave it to him.
I would think that the Wakandans have a ritual for that sort of thing, like they do with literally everything, and any tattoo inked without that ritual would be unsanctioned or invalid. After Killmonger shows his tattoo, they could have just said, "Yeah, but we didn't do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Building your entire reading of Black Panther around the token white guy used for comic relief sure is... something? :thunk:

you could remove bilbo from the movie and it would only be like 10 percent less hosed up

i would downgrade it from massively hosed up to hella hosed up