Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I mean I could probably drop you the Life Ring +3 because I have it from the character I used to plat the game, as well as Outrider Knight Gauntlets and maybe Lapp's helmet (not sure if I've got it but I think so). The problem is I don't have much time to play right now because I'm working a night shift. I'll add you on PSN and if you still need it when I can play then I'll drop it for you :)

e: directed at HaB

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I mean I could probably drop you the Life Ring +3 because I have it from the character I used to plat the game, as well as Outrider Knight Gauntlets and maybe Lapp's helmet (not sure if I've got it but I think so). The problem is I don't have much time to play right now because I'm working a night shift. I'll add you on PSN and if you still need it when I can play then I'll drop it for you :)

i stand corrected, nice!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Turns out I have everything on that list except Life Ring, Prisoners Chain and an unupgraded Avelyn. I have an Avelyn but it’s +10 and I need to keep everything at or below +2 for this guy.

I got your friend req. will ping you when I see you on so we can mule stuff.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

DrNutt posted:

Other than the Woldnir fight and this most recent thing I honestly haven't had any other noticeable issues. What's petty forwarding though? Is it like port forwarding?

Sorry, that should have said "port forwarding" but my phone was apparently feeling petty.

And yeah, Aldi's unchewed Gwyndolin is technically is weak point, but it's also up in the air and flailing around. The gross boneslug parts are much easier to hit, and there's a big sack full of maggots that's well out of range of 90% of his attacks that's perfect to aim for. I mean Midir's head takes double damage too, but it's often way up in the air and shooting fire.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

And yeah, Aldi's unchewed Gwyndolin is technically is weak point, but it's also up in the air and flailing around. The gross boneslug parts are much easier to hit, and there's a big sack full of maggots that's well out of range of 90% of his attacks that's perfect to aim for. I mean Midir's head takes double damage too, but it's often way up in the air and shooting fire.

See this is a bit of a false equivalency because it's extremely easy to learn how to smack Midir in the face and it's far and away the best way to do the fight.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Eh, I'd say it depends on your weapon and how nice he decides to be to you. If you're getting the leap away, rampage, or sit up fire breath a lot, you'll spend most of the fight slapping at his thigh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

See this is a bit of a false equivalency because it's extremely easy to learn how to smack Midir in the face and it's far and away the best way to do the fight.

I nod sagely as I hold L1 and roll to avoid purple skulls and arrows constantly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I nod sagely as I hold L1 and roll to avoid purple skulls and arrows constantly.

Works a hell of alot better than stabbing his bum for minimal damage for fifteen minutes whilst still having to dodge most of his moveset

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Punching his butt is not actually substantially slower then his head because he only has like 4k hp. Unless you're hitting him with Magic or Dark, which he's already got high resists against. He's easily the easiest Lord of Cinder(excluding Yhorm w/Stormruler) fight IMO

Of course if you're a faith build you can just cast Vow of Silence and the fight becomes a stupid game of tag anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cuchulain posted:

Punching his butt is not actually substantially slower then his head because he only has like 4k hp. Unless you're hitting him with Magic or Dark, which he's already got high resists against. He's easily the easiest Lord of Cinder(excluding Yhorm w/Stormruler) fight IMO

Of course if you're a faith build you can just cast Vow of Silence and the fight becomes a stupid game of tag anyway.

His competition is a “do you have a +3 weapon” check and a gimmick boss whose gimmick is how quickly you can equip and figure out how to use a weapon you just picked up. And Twin Princes. Aldrich isn’t really dangerous unless you stand off him, but I feel pretty confident he is not the easiest lord of cinder.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

Ah my mistake I thought they were refering to Midir, yeah stab Aldrich in the bum if you ration your stamina properly and pay attention to his tells you can sprint away from his arrow rain and magic missiles without too much bother

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Oh yeah, I always forget the princes are a Lord of Cinder fight. I usually just think of the Lords as the three from the opening. Twin Princes are definitely harder then Aldrich though, but I guess the Abysswalkers could maybe be harder if you're more used to the giant monster style fights instead of anime boss battles?

Maybe I'm just crazy, I tend to breeze past hard bosses and get dunked by easy ones my first few times through every souls game.

Edit: Oh yeah no, Aldrich buttstabs are way better then Midir buttstabs. You have hardly any time to stab Midir's nigh-invincible rear end anyway and he has roughly sixteen trillion health.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

skasion posted:

His competition is a “do you have a +3 weapon” check and a gimmick boss whose gimmick is how quickly you can equip and figure out how to use a weapon you just picked up. And Twin Princes. Aldrich isn’t really dangerous unless you stand off him, but I feel pretty confident he is not the easiest lord of cinder.

Are you trying to imply that abyss watchers are trivial if you just have damage? I've never had a particularly easy time with them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cuchulain posted:

Oh yeah, I always forget the princes are a Lord of Cinder fight. I usually just think of the Lords as the three from the opening. Twin Princes are definitely harder then Aldrich though, but I guess the Abysswalkers could maybe be harder if you're more used to the giant monster style fights instead of anime boss battles?

Maybe I'm just crazy, I tend to breeze past hard bosses and get dunked by easy ones my first few times through every souls game.

Edit: Oh yeah no, Aldrich buttstabs are way better then Midir buttstabs. You have hardly any time to stab Midir's nigh-invincible rear end anyway and he has roughly sixteen trillion health.

Having not yet been to the Two Princes fight, all I can think of when people mention it is the 90s song by the Spin Doctors.

Two Princes https://g.co/kgs/CroUzd

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Are you trying to imply that abyss watchers are trivial if you just have damage? I've never had a particularly easy time with them.

It's incredibly easy to stagger lock them.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Man, I'm upset at a dumb mistake I made.

I've been planning out my playthroughs to try for a pretty completionist set of games, and my first playthrough I'm going for Lord of Hollows ending. Which means looking like a crumbly mummy for most of the game.

I hate killing NPCs so I waited for Orbeck to die naturally. Got his ashes... and like an idiot gave them to the Shrine Handmaiden rather than Yuria. Now I'm locked out of the Morion Blade for this playthrough.

But that also means that in NG+ I have to AGAIN get the Dark Sigils so that Yuria shows up. And I'll EITHER have to keep the sigils for most of the game and allow Anri to die again (and again not finish her quest) or I'll need to kill Orbeck shortly after meeting him to get his ashes.

I already own all his spells so I guess I'm not missing out on much if I kill him in NG+, other than feeling bad about it. All because of one stupid mistake.

Why doesn't his death register to Yuria unless you give her his ashes anyway? He's equally dead either way....

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Everything surrounding the Londor crew is completely terrible and I hate having to even decide if I want to engage with it when making a new character. This time, I wanted to piss off Yuria by getting a single dark sigil, then healing that immediately, which should annoy her (off-screen, because Yoel ist obviously still alive), right? Nope, Londor Pale Shade won't invade.

So I just do the full draw-out to make her appear, then heal the sigils, and if she still isn't pissed, I can just hit her, right? Nope! If you clear the Dark Sigil once, you can't get any more hollowing, and therefore Yoel will never offer more Draw Outs.

Final solution: I just loving kill Yoel and lo and behold, NOW the Londor crew is mad and Pale Shade invades. Bonus fun: Yoel didn't even drop his ashes, so if I for some reason wanted to still access the poo poo he sold, tough luck.

And all of this has to be done before Abyss Watchers. It's maddening the poo poo these sidequests pull. I also didn't get Patches to try and gently caress me in Firelink AGAIN even though I went there earliest opportunity, then again just to be sure right before Cathedral (after clearing the way to Watchers), then again after entering the Cathedral. No dice. When the gently caress is the timeframe for him showing up??? Do I have to trigger his Cathedral appearance FIRST? He is so brokeeeen

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So is Sister Friede supposed to be crapping on my life, or am I just terrible?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Simply Simon posted:

Everything surrounding the Londor crew is completely terrible and I hate having to even decide if I want to engage with it when making a new character. This time, I wanted to piss off Yuria by getting a single dark sigil, then healing that immediately, which should annoy her (off-screen, because Yoel ist obviously still alive), right? Nope, Londor Pale Shade won't invade.

So I just do the full draw-out to make her appear, then heal the sigils, and if she still isn't pissed, I can just hit her, right? Nope! If you clear the Dark Sigil once, you can't get any more hollowing, and therefore Yoel will never offer more Draw Outs.

Final solution: I just loving kill Yoel and lo and behold, NOW the Londor crew is mad and Pale Shade invades. Bonus fun: Yoel didn't even drop his ashes, so if I for some reason wanted to still access the poo poo he sold, tough luck.

And all of this has to be done before Abyss Watchers. It's maddening the poo poo these sidequests pull. I also didn't get Patches to try and gently caress me in Firelink AGAIN even though I went there earliest opportunity, then again just to be sure right before Cathedral (after clearing the way to Watchers), then again after entering the Cathedral. No dice. When the gently caress is the timeframe for him showing up??? Do I have to trigger his Cathedral appearance FIRST? He is so brokeeeen

Plus Anri is prone to just forgetting how to walk and deciding to live with skeletons for the rest of his/her life. Every so often they just never show up for that last scene even if you do everything right. It's dumb and I hate it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simply Simon posted:

Bonus fun: Yoel didn't even drop his ashes, so if I for some reason wanted to still access the poo poo he sold, tough luck.

They appear in the Untended Graves version of Firelink.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I also didn't get Patches to try and gently caress me in Firelink AGAIN even though I went there earliest opportunity, then again just to be sure right before Cathedral (after clearing the way to Watchers), then again after entering the Cathedral. No dice. When the gently caress is the timeframe for him showing up??? Do I have to trigger his Cathedral appearance FIRST? He is so brokeeeen

I've never seen him in Firelink without first going through his whole thing at the Cathedral.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

skasion posted:

Cross-region matchmaking just means you can play with Japanese. There’s only two regions, Japan and not Japan. If you’re in the US and have cross-region disabled the game will still just as happily match you up with a guy in Australia as it will with a guy down the street.

Can't believe the Netcode is a meta-commentary on how FromSoft sees the community

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It's incredibly easy to stagger lock them.

Yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1asLS5_9aY

Also, I can confirm that HaB is a cool dude and a good co-op partner. We had a lot of fun getting our poo poo smashed by NG+2 Gael after muling some equipment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So is Sister Friede supposed to be crapping on my life, or am I just terrible?

She's the single hardest boss in the game and arguably the entire series.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you use a big stick of any kind you can stunlock her forever. My personal favorite weapon is the Executioner Greatsword or whatever - the sword that does blunt damage. Smack her with it and she recoils every time. It's fast enough you can just bash her over the head until she stops moving.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
If any of you here are named Quinto and you just invaded me and managed to die because you ran into my scythe swings while I was trying to kill the Wyvern on the path to Nameless King...

I'm sorry but that was the funniest invasion I've ever had.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
anything ultra is a good weapon

this game is japanese remember

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't played this since some time before the first DLC came out. There hadn't been any huge balance changes at that point, so most miracles were rancid garbage and fast weapons were way better than slow weapons pretty much across the board since most bosses didn't give you long enough to attack with them. I know this is going back from years ago, but have there been any serious changes since then? I haven't played the DLCs, so is there anything that suddenly gets really bad in the DLCs the way spells are bad in dark souls 2's DLCs? Anything I should really avoid?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Yeah there were two big changes - poise was overhauled, and infusions were buffed. Practically fast weapons are still probably the best on balance, but everything else is more enjoyable. A side effect is that a quality build is arguably the most restrictive and underpowered build in the game, while dex is the most stat efficient and dark is the most versatile. If it's been a really long time bleed was also nerfed a while back, it's now pretty much useless across the board except for PvE enemies that are very weak to it.

Faith and pyro builds got some really nice new toys in the DLCs, I reckon sorcery got the short straw unless you particularly like dark sorcery. Every school has access to dark spells so even though the DLC bosses do have high elemental resists you should be fine. One of them has very high dark/magic/fire resist which is kind of a pain for pure pyros who don't want to use any sorcery, but it's also optional.

hampig fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 5, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what was changed about poise?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

what was changed about poise?

I think it's working as intended now?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Enough that you'll need to read the wikis for the full details, but essentially it's now predictable and stackable, and poise frames were added to weapons that didn't have poise frames before. Ultras are more or less the same, but halberds, curved greatswords, and maces now have working poise while two-handed, and greatswords got a particularly high "poise health" for their weight and speed. Perseverance also got a duration buff.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
They tweaked how matchmaking works so that guests can only be up to 1 weapon upgrade level higher than the host until the host hits +4.

Prisoner's Chain's downside got reduced, so it's now used by just about everybody.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Having not yet been to the Two Princes fight, all I can think of when people mention it is the 90s song by the Spin Doctors.

Two Princes https://g.co/kgs/CroUzd

Having beaten them many times, that's still all I can think of when people mention them.

Digirat, if you have any intention of doing PvP, keep in mind that the DLCs added tons of new(viable) weapons and spells. Be aware anyone might pull some crazy poo poo online.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nuebot posted:

If you use a big stick of any kind you can stunlock her forever. My personal favorite weapon is the Executioner Greatsword or whatever - the sword that does blunt damage. Smack her with it and she recoils every time. It's fast enough you can just bash her over the head until she stops moving.

This is just lies. Friede can escape any stunlock at whatsoever point she chooses if she feels like it. Often she doesn't, but she can do it right at the moment it best fucks you over.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1asLS5_9aY

Also, I can confirm that HaB is a cool dude and a good co-op partner. We had a lot of fun getting our poo poo smashed by NG+2 Gael after muling some equipment.

aww, samesies. :3:

That was fun. Want to try again when we both have time, we were so close!

So the Farron Invader I built with the muled equipment is a menace and a lot of fun. It basically relies on having health for DAYS. I am still missing RoFaP +3 and Prisoner's Chain, but at SL 30 I already have 1634 health. The build is basically: start Warrior, Str 18, then literally everything else into Vit until SL 30. After some min/maxing on the armor/weapons (which someone else did, not me) you wind up with:

Lapp's Helm, Slave Knight Armor, Outrider Gauntlets, Dark Leggings, Iron Round Shield, Dragonslayer Axe

You need the Thief's ring to meet the Dex requirement on the axe. Until then, the starting Battle Axe served just fine. Upgrade everything to +2, making the axe Raw and the shield Blessed (the slight Healing tick is just an extra 'gently caress you'). Bonus points for annoyance items: poison daggers, undead hunter charms, etc.

When I get the last 2 rings, I will be able to add an Avelyn to punish roll spammers/chuggers.

If I wasn't getting summoned as a Watchdog, I was using the Red Eye Orb, and getting constant hits. After some 40 invasions, my record was like 36-4, and I'm merely solid at PvP, not great. Barring me doing something extremely stupid, the losses usually took 2 skilled opponents to take me down because A - I just had WAY more health than anyone else, and B - Raw Dragonslayer Axe + Gold Pine Resin/Bundle has an AR of like 405? So I hit like a truck. 3 hits would down most people. Even had 2 plug pullers. :v: Sadly, no hate mail yet.

In most scenarios I could just outlast people. I saw many an "out of estus" animation. If I screwed up and got parried? No worries. That was maybe 1/8th of my health.

In short:

A+++++ WOULD INVADE AGAIN GOOD SELLER FAST SHIPPING L@@K

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No way

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She's a hell of alot harder than Gael and Midir, imo the only boss that rivals her is OoK in Bloodborne

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Dark Souls III was in the Humble Bundle and I already own it along with Ashes, so here's free Steam keys for fellow Goons:

Dark Souls III:
*EW4*-RRIKX-6V62I

* = First letter of my username.

Ashes of Ariandel:
ABDTI-RTD3P-*PD*D

* = The letter after P in the English alphabet.

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

amazeballs posted:

Ashes of Ariandel:
ABDTI-RTD3P-*PD*D

* = The letter after P in the English alphabet.

:cheers:

Nabbed this, thank you.