Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's the stupid bullshit on the right that is bad

for instance this is old so they no longer take up the whole status bar but there are no notifications in this ss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is a galaxy s8 which I think is current and it's still garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm the ellipsis notification

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

the oscars keeps trying to pimp Samsung phones and tablets, and it feels like it’s an excuse to have a fire drill to drag it out even longer

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i'm the ellipsis notification

Fun fact the ellipsis means there are more notifications available, presumably to allow space for more icons on the right

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
maybe that’s where the second clock is hiding

:tinfoil:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blue Train posted:

for instance this is old so they no longer take up the whole status bar but there are no notifications in this ss

Weird, I just have battery, clock, signal, Bluetooth, and an alarm icon on the right. At least 75% of my bar is empty.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

why do manufacturers add an nfc status indicator? why would the user ever need to be made aware of it at all?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

why do manufacturers add an nfc status indicator? why would the user ever need to be made aware of it at all?

for the spergs who insist on manually turning everything off on battery

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Blue Train posted:

I have one notification

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the best anroid is still intensely not-good imho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blue Train posted:

Fun fact the ellipsis means there are more notifications available, presumably to allow space for more icons on the right

yes, a notification that you have notifications, very meta

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

yes, a notification that you have notifications, very meta

at least on anroid there's the assurance that the mystery notifications are never about an update

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anroid

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bulgakov posted:

at least on anroid there's the assurance that the mystery notifications are never about an update

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Bulgakov posted:

it’s the little things that sustain us........

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if emails and phone calls were the only things apps used notifications for, it would be a good design

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I'm the nespresso coffee icon

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

so, for real. my car has a nfc icon on the dash for anroid pairing. I've had 2 people so far ask me why there's a logo for coffee in the car.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a good question actually, why is there a logo for coffee in your car?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

you should leave a sealed container of coffee in your car and offer it to anyone who asks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just accept the realities of the situation and mount a nespresso machine on your dash

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

akadajet posted:

so, for real. my car has a nfc icon on the dash for anroid pairing. I've had 2 people so far ask me why there's a logo for coffee in the car.

did you give them a 4 star rating for that?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

did you give them a 4 star rating for that?

only 4 stars?

code:
                        .--"""""""--.    AT FIVE STARS       
                       / .-"""""""-. \    THE FBI COMES      
                   _.-" /           \ "-._                   
               _.-" _.-'             `-._ "-._               
             .' _.-"   .---._            "-._ `.             
            / .'     .' .-.'-:.       __     `. \            
        _.-^-.L     / .'.'. .-:;   .-"  ";    J.-^-._        
     .-"  ___  "-. : /./(_)"(_):  :-:    : .-"  ___  "-.     
   .'  .-"   "-.  `; /:`   .  ;:   `-\  _J'  .-"   "-.  `.   
  /  .'         "-.;j ;`. -= / :     _:'  "-j         `.  \  
 :  /              : \:/ `-+: /;___.'\   _.(            \  ; 
 ; :             .-: /;\_  ;(J/--.___.;"";  \            ; : 
:  ;          .-"   ; : ;l   y\.-  .-   .---.;           :  ;
:  ;         : `.   ; ;\:;  /.-\`./  .'/     ;           :  ;
 ; :         ;   \  :/  ;: :/  ;-^..:-::  /  :           ; : 
 :  \       :  \  ;: `-'  ; \  :      ;: :    ;         /  ; 
  \  \      ; : `.;;      :  ;  \    :  \;    :        /  /  
   `. `.   :   \ : :       `.;   ;   ;  :      ;     .' .'   
     \. `. ;    L;\ \     . :    ;  :   ;     ;:   .' ./     
      \`. : .-" /  \ `---'  ;`--/   ;: :      : ; ;_.'/      
       J_L;J-. :    ;       :  (   / ; ;       ;: :J Y       
       ).,--`.\;    :    ___ \  \ /  : ;       L_;:  ;       
       \':    \)    ;.-"".-"""""""----::__  .-";/ :_:        
        :;;:;::--...; .'/               .-`::  :  : ;        
        ::::::'     :/ :           _.-"/   : \  \ : ;        
        : T^:;       \            _..-'.-  :`. ""'^.;        
        : : ;         `-.___...--"""-+"  ;  ; "-+-+';        
        ; ; :                        ;\  :  :   ; : :        
        ; :  ""---...._______________; \ ;   ;""  ; :        
        ;  ""---...._________________:  ;    :--""  :        
       :     __...._                  ; :     ;_     ;       
       ;  .-"  _.-""""--.._ [bug] _..-:  ;    : "-.  :       
      :  /  .q"            "-._.-"     ; :     ;.  \  ;      
      ; : .'\ ;                        :       : `. ; :      
      ; :/  .):                         ;       ;  \; :      
      :  \  `-'                         L_..--t"   /  ;      
       \  ;                              ;     `-.J_ /       
      ,-) :                              ::.`.__.   X        
      :__.'                              :; `.__..-"         

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

NOTIFICATIONS FOR THE NOTIFICATIONS GOD
CLOCKS FOR THE CLOCK THRONE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

more brands! more brands!!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the coveted inverted notch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

some call it "tab"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

no diamond plate. they really fcked up this time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

some call it "tab"

i can't give you a tab unless you order something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

i can't give you a tab unless you order something

biff would definitely have a blu

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this has a flir camera though, which is a pretty legit feature. laser distance measure too, which is not as cool but likely appreciated by some of the same users

i miss competition on features

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

So were I work we use these dumb things for inventory control on new equipment, replacements, and decommissioning. The anroid is so drat slow on them its actually frustrating to use.

I guess you can also get them with Windows Phone also but lol, not sure if that would be an improvement.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Da Mott Man posted:

So were I work we use these dumb things for inventory control on new equipment, replacements, and decommissioning. The anroid is so drat slow on them its actually frustrating to use.

I guess you can also get them with Windows Phone also but lol, not sure if that would be an improvement.

The windows ones run 6.x and are a nightmare but what you should be doing is running the Honeywell battery sleds on iPod touch's

https://www.honeywellaidc.com/products/enterprise-sleds/captuvo

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Da Mott Man posted:

we have the windows version and i can assure you it's worse. there's something like 3 home screens and 5 different screens to set up wifi and they're such a pain in the rear end we have a guy that does nothing but configure them

of course as i was writing this post i got a feature request for the handhelds so i get to deal with them today, thanks

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Da Mott Man posted:

I used to work for a software shop developing software for ruggedized device poo poo. I was wondering if they were gonna start doing this cause there were whispers about switching to android when I left in 2012

also windows mobile or windows ce actually would be an improvement cause at least that platform has decent dev tools.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My Linux Rig posted:

I used to work for a software shop developing software for ruggedized device poo poo. I was wondering if they were gonna start doing this cause there were whispers about switching to android when I left in 2012

also windows mobile or windows ce actually would be an improvement cause at least that platform has decent dev tools.

i know the ones at the grocery store where i grew up ran windows mobile because every scan was accompanied by the windows xp error sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

carry on then posted:

i know the ones at the grocery store where i grew up ran windows mobile because every scan was accompanied by the windows xp error sound

oh yeah 90% of mobile scanners out there like that are likely windows mobile cause the license and devs are easy to get. chances are the device manufacturers already have the license for windows mobile from way back when and just use it cause why not