Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I'd say it's a lot of points for a 10-man DC unit, but that Astraeus kind of blows that argument out of the water. If you meet an army that can handle your LoW, you're going to have an awfully hard time with board control, otherwise for a fun BA list it seems fine.

That's basically the standard price for a 10-man DC squad with most builds I see. Throw in a thunderhammer or two- which you really probably should- and you're already up at the same price point. I like the build he's using quite a lot and would probably do something similar if I had stuff modeled that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ad Mech are an army that I've seriously considered before since they:

-are cool robot dudes
-can gently caress around with knights without the lame feudal backstory
-are cool robot dudes
-have belisarius cawl as a special character, who is one of a small handful of Imperial characters I actually like
-are cool robot dudes
-have a killer start collecting box
-are cool robot dudes

Honestly about the only reason I didn't pick them up is that they are tied to the larger imperium (which I find to be one of the dryest overarching factions in the game) and the Death Guard existed.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pendent posted:

That's basically the standard price for a 10-man DC squad with most builds I see. Throw in a thunderhammer or two- which you really probably should- and you're already up at the same price point. I like the build he's using quite a lot and would probably do something similar if I had stuff modeled that way.

That may be true but in a world where Sv3+ means less than it used to and their FNP check being reduced, they melt pretty quickly. At least from my experience on the melt-inducing side.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The amount of people expressing interest in starting AdMech with this box set pleases me.

Welcome to the Forge.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

That may be true but in a world where Sv3+ means less than it used to and their FNP check being reduced, they melt pretty quickly. At least from my experience on the melt-inducing side.

They are absolutely glass cannons which is is why it's very, very important to make sure they take as big a chunk out of your opponent's army as possible before there's a chance they'll get shot. Lemartes+ Descent of Angels gives you something like a 90% chance to make your charge out of reserves so deploying your DC becomes more a matter of picking the right target than anything. A 3d6" charge range along with the fly keyword means you've got a decent chance of at least tying up a really big chunk of your opponents army before they can really react. This obviously relies on punching a hole in their screening units before pulling the trigger.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zuul the Cat posted:

The amount of people expressing interest in starting AdMech with this box set pleases me.

Welcome to the Forge.

I'm trying to convince a T'a"u-curious friend that Shiny Bois are a better option because I really want those bastard knights.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

They are absolutely glass cannons which is is why it's very, very important to make sure they take as big a chunk out of your opponent's army as possible before there's a chance they'll get shot. Lemartes+ Descent of Angels gives you something like a 90% chance to make your charge out of reserves so deploying your DC becomes more a matter of picking the right target than anything. A 3d6" charge range along with the fly keyword means you've got a decent chance of at least tying up a really big chunk of your opponents army before they can really react. This obviously relies on punching a hole in their screening units before pulling the trigger.

In theory the repulsor + aggressors should be able to take a big chunk out of a screen with how many shots they get, though it may take until turn 2 or 3 before dropping the DC makes sense.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wanted to get a baby knight since the spoiler and do up in Ecclesiarchy livery as an add on to my sisters.

Not sure if I want to wait for a version that can handle hordes with a gatling or something or go with more melta.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Throw-back three-days-before-Thursday. I finished my 1,500 Eldar fleet re-paint ahead of Adepticon. Techinically I still need to write the (Tolkien) names on the bases, but it's otherwise done. I have three more boards for display boards that I might run some different styles as well because I'm not completely thrilled with this one, but meh. Still gotta paint 5 bikes and based like 40 dudes for my 40k army so it's bottom priority.

Can't wait to get utterly wrecked by 3-straight rounds of Necrons.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

In theory the repulsor + aggressors should be able to take a big chunk out of a screen with how many shots they get, though it may take until turn 2 or 3 before dropping the DC makes sense.

That's a nice resilient option, yeah. I've had some really fun experiences dropping a six man squad of bolter Inceptors and absolutely deleting stuff but there's a certain element of risk involved.

I really like your list in general, actually. You're very correct in that it will require waiting until the opportune moment to deploy the Death Company but really that seems like the best way to use the codex. Our assault units are more of a scalpel than a hammer and it's very important to keep this fact in mind when constructing a list.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

Welcome to the Forge, servitor #G00n, have some motor oil

ftfy

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Welcome to the Forge.

i've been wanting to get a third box of skitarii (for a triple-arq ranger squad) and in need of an actual mechanicus HQ since the codexes dropping made full on imperial soup less appealing. the addition of a pair of baby knights, and a bunch of necrons to resell or use myself as the seed of a new xenos army, is seriously tempting

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Boon posted:

Throw-back three-days-before-Thursday. I finished my 1,500 Eldar fleet re-paint ahead of Adepticon. Techinically I still need to write the (Tolkien) names on the bases, but it's otherwise done. I have three more boards for display boards that I might run some different styles as well because I'm not completely thrilled with this one, but meh. Still gotta paint 5 bikes and based like 40 dudes for my 40k army so it's bottom priority.

Can't wait to get utterly wrecked by 3-straight rounds of Necrons.

Looks rad, dude.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm new to Death Guard as an army and looking to expand beyond the DI box set. I've already picked up the Blight Hauler and more Plague Marines. Are Rhinos important for a death guard list? It seems like you might really need them because of how slow plague marines are otherwise.

Is there anything else I should be looking at as I move towards 1500 points worth of stuff?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Booyah- posted:

I'm new to Death Guard as an army and looking to expand beyond the DI box set. I've already picked up the Blight Hauler and more Plague Marines. Are Rhinos important for a death guard list? It seems like you might really need them because of how slow plague marines are otherwise.

Is there anything else I should be looking at as I move towards 1500 points worth of stuff?

I honestly have never experienced a problem getting anywhere with Death Guard. They're every-so-slightly slower than standard MEq, but their special detachment rule allows them to advance and fire without as much penalty and a lot of solid units are either faster (winged Deamon Princes of Nurgle, Malefic Blight-Hauler), Psykers that don't care about shooting (Malignant Plaguecaster), or use flamer or flamer-equivalent weapons (Foetid Bloatdrones, Foul Blightspawn) that ignore the penalties of advancing.

If you're using a Blight-Hauler, you'll want to be out of a vehicle so the Death Guard can benefit from their free roaming cover bonus. It does matter a bit what kind of play-style you're shooting for, but out of all MEq armies, Death Guard are one of the only ones that can go almost completely vehicle free and suffer no real penalty.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're using a Blight-Hauler, you'll want to be out of a vehicle so the Death Guard can benefit from their free roaming cover bonus. It does matter a bit what kind of play-style you're shooting for, but out of all MEq armies, Death Guard are one of the only ones that can go almost completely vehicle free and suffer no real penalty.

Blight hauler isn't my favorite model but it seems like it could be an essential unit.

Have you seen any good alternate models for it?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

goodness posted:

Blight hauler isn't my favorite model but it seems like it could be an essential unit.

Have you seen any good alternate models for it?

I haven't, but I personally really like the model. It's simple and effective and, for a thing of its size and quality, surprisingly cheap.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do any of you use movement trays for your infantry while playing actual games? Moving 90 Guardsmen a turn is a pain in the rear end.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

I haven't, but I personally really like the model. It's simple and effective and, for a thing of its size and quality, surprisingly cheap.

also it has an anus

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

also it has an anus

that's the quality

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm trying to guess how the baby knights take up a LoW slot each, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe a 1 - 2 unit takes a single slot? That way you can fill the detachment but they won't choke the knight cap of 5.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

moths posted:

I'm trying to guess how the baby knights take up a LoW slot each, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe a 1 - 2 unit takes a single slot? That way you can fill the detachment but they won't choke the knight cap of 5.

maybe they are like the primaris lieutenants from the DI box, where you can have 1 or 2 as a single HQ unit?

edit: duh you said that, my bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Flavivirus posted:

That's nice and all, but Breachers rerolling failed wounds vs a unit in cover for 1CP looks very very tasty. Not to mention +1 to wound army-wide vs a unit you've already wounded once, though that's pretty pricey at 3cp. Hopefully points drop enough to make Brigades feasible...

E: For the Greater Good means you can fire overwatch whenever a friendly unit within 6" is charged, though you can't fire overwatch again that phase if you do.

The way that Breacher stratagem is worded makes it loving garbage. The target has to be getting the benefit of cover, which they don't if you put enough markerlight stacks to make up for the 4+ BS on Breachers. You get +1 to wound, but you don't get the +1 to hit from 5 stacks.

The Focused Fire stratagem is by far the best thing in that preview, particularly for rail weapons. Get a group of things like Broadsides, hit on overwatch on 5+s, then wound with one and get extra mortal wounds against anything else with your other wound rolls. :v: Pathfinders are hilarious too. The only problem with them is that you don't get the 5+ overwatch unless you're also within 6" of a friendly T'au Sept unit, and I tend to run my Pathfinders as deep strike denial with the vanguard move.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fadam posted:

Looks rad, dude.

Thanks! All metal - can't wait till it's all chipped up in a month or so

New BFG can't come soon enough

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

It's 100% so that you can run a 'knight' detachment of 1 big one and 2 babies.

fadam posted:

Do any of you use movement trays for your infantry while playing actual games? Moving 90 Guardsmen a turn is a pain in the rear end.

I don't yet but I'm about to try a list with 60 dudes in and if I stick with it I'll probably get some, if nothing else to keep the squads separate.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

The way that Breacher stratagem is worded makes it loving garbage. The target has to be getting the benefit of cover, which they don't if you put enough markerlight stacks to make up for the 4+ BS on Breachers. You get +1 to wound, but you don't get the +1 to hit from 5 stacks.

The Focused Fire stratagem is by far the best thing in that preview, particularly for rail weapons. Get a group of things like Broadsides, hit on overwatch on 5+s, then wound with one and get extra mortal wounds against anything else with your other wound rolls. :v: Pathfinders are hilarious too. The only problem with them is that you don't get the 5+ overwatch unless you're also within 6" of a friendly T'au Sept unit, and I tend to run my Pathfinders as deep strike denial with the vanguard move.

According to the facebook the breacher strat weirdness was pointed out to the rules team, so hopefully they will FAQ it.

The most disappointing bit about focus fire is that it is locked to T'au sept only, I am not really expecting the other septs strats to top it. Combined with the leaked other traits and all the characters being T'au, I expect the majority of players are just doing that or Bork'an.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

R0ckfish posted:

According to the facebook the breacher strat weirdness was pointed out to the rules team, so hopefully they will FAQ it.

The most disappointing bit about focus fire is that it is locked to T'au sept only, I am not really expecting the other septs strats to top it. Combined with the leaked other traits and all the characters being T'au, I expect the majority of players are just doing that or Bork'an.

The Sept traits have already leaked, confirmed by today's post:

quote:

Sept Traits:
Tau: Overwatch on a 5 regardless of firing model BS or any modifiers.
Vior'la : Treats all RF weapons as assault weapons (RF 1 treated as assault 1). Additionally, no penalty to advance and fire the assault weapons.
Dal'yth : Unit that does not manta strike, move , fall back, charge , pile in or consolidate this turn may claim the benefit of cover even while in the open.
Sa'cea: +1 LD, Additionally, in shooting phase, you can reroll a single failed hit roll for each Sa'cea unit
Bork'an : Add 6" to maximum range of any Rapid Fire and Heavy weapon they are armed with.
Farsight: Reroll wounds of 1 against models that are within 6' of the firing (farsight) model.

Warlord Traits

1) reroll wounds 1 against Monster or Vehicles
2) your shooting phase, pick a visible enemy unit to your warlord, each time any friendly <sept> unit within 6' of warlord makes a wound roll of 6, add 1 to AP of attack
3) Add 6 to Advance instead of rolling dice.
4) If warlord within 12' of enemy unit at start of shooting phase, you can reroll hits for your warlord until end of phase.
5) reroll hits for warlord, if they have not moved this turn. if they move for any reason, they lose the trait until the start of next turn.
6) warlord can advance and shoot as if he hasn't advanced.

Sept Warlord Traits
Tau : 5+ save against Mortal Wounds
Vior'la : If warlord has master of war, Volley Fire or Failure is Not an Option ability, the range increased to 9". additionally, if your army is battleforged, +1 command pt
Dal'yth: While within 12" of Warlord, friendly Kroot and Vespid units gain For The Greater Good ability
Sa'cea: Friendly Sa'cea unit within 6" of warlord, reduce the number of model that flee as a result of morale by 1
Bork'an: For each hit roll made by warlord, +1 to wound for that hit
Farsight: Warlord can perform 6" heroic intervention. Additionally, if your warlord has charged , was charged or heroic intervened, until end of phase, can reroll hits.

Riptide points down 24, HBC down 20, Ion Accelerator down 42.

Gun Drones +4
Shield Drones +2
Marker Drones same.

Broadside -20 HRR -27 HYMP -16 SMS-5
Skyray -19 Hammerhead -17

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Sept traits have already leaked, confirmed by today's post:

Yeah I know, I am talking about stratagems that were not leaked.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Boon posted:

Awesome Battlefleet Gothic stuff.

Is Battlefleet Gothic back?! I still have my old Chaos and Imperial fleets, I had no idea it was coming back. I loved the hell out of that game, gonna have to start stripping paint to give them some actual decent paint schemes. And look around for new bases, no idea where mine have disappeared to.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Focused fire could easily cost 2cp and be fine I think - other than the interaction with rail weapons (which you’re never going to have that many of) it works out as worse than “doom” at every target number to wound except sixes (which Tau almost never need), and you have to get the first wound through unbuffed.

“Worse doom” is still quite a good ability, and not having to get a psyker in range is nice, so I’m sure it will see use, but I’m faintly underwhelmed.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

One_Wing posted:

Focused fire could easily cost 2cp and be fine I think - other than the interaction with rail weapons (which you’re never going to have that many of) it works out as worse than “doom” at every target number to wound except sixes (which Tau almost never need), and you have to get the first wound through unbuffed.

“Worse doom” is still quite a good ability, and not having to get a psyker in range is nice, so I’m sure it will see use, but I’m faintly underwhelmed.

On the other hand, fire warriors wounding knights on 4s is pretty good, and marines on 2s.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

One_Wing posted:

I don't know about you, but in my T'au list (before changes; there will be a few with price changes) I typically end up with 9 Rail Rifles and 3 Heavy Rail Rifles. That's a non-trivial number of extra mortal wounds.

Especially since the quirks of the "official" timing chart for resolving hits and wounds means you can roll wounds one at a time until one sticks (and it also ignores post-save damage saves; an unsaved wound is an unsaved wound even if they ignore the damage) and then pop the stratagem if you have enough guns left to make it worthwhile.

You only have to get lucky with one Pulse Carbine shot to make every Rail Rifle in your list 20% more deadly on the wound roll.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I get both points (though re-rolling with 3 as your target number is better than wounding on flat 2s), and as I said I’m sure it will have its uses, I just think they could probably have pushed it a bit further in terms of cost efficiency (especially as Tau get no psychic powers). I would argue that most strategems that imitate a good psychic power cost 2, and so should this one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cainer posted:

Is Battlefleet Gothic back?! I still have my old Chaos and Imperial fleets, I had no idea it was coming back. I loved the hell out of that game, gonna have to start stripping paint to give them some actual decent paint schemes. And look around for new bases, no idea where mine have disappeared to.

Not officially, but I'd be willing to bet it makes a comeback in the later half of this year.

Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Space Hulk all back. Epic and BFG are big absences there.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

One_Wing posted:

I get both points (though re-rolling with 3 as your target number is better than wounding on flat 2s), and as I said I’m sure it will have its uses, I just think they could probably have pushed it a bit further in terms of cost efficiency (especially as Tau get no psychic powers). I would argue that most strategems that imitate a good psychic power cost 2, and so should this one.

as much as GW is reluctant to change values that are on hard paper or in codices, I do feel that GW should look back over stratagems across all armies at some point. There are weird blends of some armies primarily having fluf orientated strats where as other seem to be overflowing with strong competitive strats, some could be solved by slight tweaks in either wording or CP cost.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Boon posted:

Not officially, but I'd be willing to bet it makes a comeback in the later half of this year.

Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Space Hulk all back. Epic and BFG are big absences there.
God, I hope so. I wasn't in the hobby when BFG was a thing, but it's always looked interesting to me.

Then recently Battlefleet Gothic Armada came out, and I loving loved it.

So yeah, I'd be all over a new tabletop BFG with GW's modern amazing model standards.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'd say Titanicus, the remaining Necro gangs, plus blood bowl will round out the rest of the year of specialist stuff.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

fadam posted:

I don’t see how you could since the minute you want to go through or around terrain you’ll need to move them off the trays.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

One_Wing posted:

I think rail weapons throw off the calculus a bit. Re-rolling 3s to wound gets you more outright wounds than 2s (a difference of 0.89 per roll to 0.83), but the +1 to wound gets you an additional mortal wound another 0.17 of the time.

Compare Heavy Rail Rifles. I'm going to assume full markerlight stacks because why the gently caress would you not have that if you're popping this stratagem to help.

Hitting on 3s rerolling 1s gets you 7/9 hits. For a typical Broadside that works out to a little over 1.5 hits (14/9ths).
Wound rolls (wounding on 3s rerolling fails, 6 gets an extra mortal wound) would put you at 1.38 successful wound rolls (14/9 * 2/3 + (14/9 * 1/3 * 2/3)), plus 0.35 mortal wounds (14/9 * 1/6 + (14/9 * 1/3 * 1/6)).
A Heavy Rail Rifle will do 3.5 damage on average, for a total of 5.18 damage per Broadside shooting.

Wound rolls for the other method (2s, 5+ for mortal wound) puts you at 1.30 successful wound rolls, plus 0.52 mortal wounds.
Heavy Rail Rifles still do 3.5 damage on average, for a total of 5.06 damage per Broadside shooting.

The total difference is barely more than 0.1 wounds, but you get more mortal wounds. Against things with invuln saves (like, for example, Custodes or Knights), I think the stratagem comes out superior to Doom.

That said, 3 CP is still pretty drat steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
That board game seems to feature a real imbalance of power since Necrons don't really have any way to handle high-T models--unless this indicates (hopefully) that some equivalent of the old Gauss rule is in play now. A plurality of players in my circles agree that adapting the "6+ to wound anything" to a universal 5+ to wound anything in 8th edition would be the simplest and most effective way to cover it, though that's meaningless for T7 targets. Maybe a chance to roll for a mortal wound on a 6+ wound roll for Gauss weapons?