Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah LWT's budget is primarily research staff and writers. The props are a travel expense in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
A remote controlled volcano that can fit inside the studio is nothing compared to paying dozens of actors, CG studios, sets, travel, crew, costumes, etc.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, plaster of paris and paint. Very cheep, very quick, very effective.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
And they do their best to reuse those props as often as possible so they are getting as much mileage from HBOs dollar as they possibly can.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well it only took two episodes and I am entirely sold on this show. It is just my sense of humour. And big budget silliness is my jam.

Bust Rodd posted:

Their YouTube channel has like 12 hours of really good content if you want to catch up, educate yourself, and get some yuks in.

Thanks, will have to give that a look.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its kind of like when Conan was fired but still under contract so he went on a spree to waste as much of NBC's money as possible by renting the worlds most expensive car and other poo poo. Except John Oliver gets to do it every single week.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

McDragon posted:

Well it only took two episodes and I am entirely sold on this show. It is just my sense of humour. And big budget silliness is my jam.

You missed the time he got into a dick measuring contest with some small country. “I see your dramatic music, and raise you with FIRE!”

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

You missed the time he got into a dick measuring contest with some small country. “I see your dramatic music, and raise you with FIRE!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQmGMJBHhaI

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bml8KwCmob8

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 27, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

That's the stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'd be amazed if this show weren't honestly their cheapest production.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I miss the Web Exclusive episodes. The last one they made was an update on the net neutrality issue back in May 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was re-watching some of the main segments on Youtube over the last few days and having re-watched the torture one I have to ask: did Last Week Tonight actually make a full audiobook of the Senate Hearing with Helen Mirren, or did she just record a few excerpts for the bit? I'm not even America, but the subject matter is interesting enough, and Helen Mirren's voice melodious enough that I wouldn't mind grabbing it to listen to at some point if the full thing exists. I can't find anything on a quick Google though, so I suspect it was only ever a few excerpts as much as a full recording would be nice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah LWT's budget is primarily research staff and writers a political campaign in Italy. The props are a travel expense in comparison.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The YouTube clips are blocked in Canada so I haven't been keeping track of the show these days. Is it still good? Does he manage to talk about things that aren't Trump?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

YggiDee posted:

The YouTube clips are blocked in Canada so I haven't been keeping track of the show these days. Is it still good? Does he manage to talk about things that aren't Trump?

This week was all about the Italian elections

Still a lot of cheeto talk tho, but given that he is consistently a horrible fuckup that's not surprising.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Just FYI if you pop the YouTube channel into a free web proxy you can watch the newest clips. I'm not really sure why they started region locking them last season but it's pretty easy to get around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes, I suppose you're all absolutely right that in the grand scheme of things the money Oliver is wasting is chump change compared to HBO's other shows.

Its still kind of crazy how he gets to just throw away money on one note gags. And awesome.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

In 2018 John Oliver being appointed to a political appointment in Italy out of Italian spite and it being legally binding is not as impossible as it would have seemed in 2016.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Maybe they're just using money that people sent in to Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption. I know it was for Doctors without Borders, but what good parody televangelist would get all that money and not skim a little off the top for outlandish displays?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

Its kind of like when Conan was fired but still under contract so he went on a spree to waste as much of NBC's money as possible by renting the worlds most expensive car and other poo poo. Except John Oliver gets to do it every single week.

Never Forget the Bugatti Veyron Mouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxZVJLkWr1c

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think a lot of the videos go viral so they aren’t complete wastes of money.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Media Lab looks like a fun show, deffo going to check it out.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hey, America, why in the gently caress has your gun lobby its own TV channel?!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

why not :shrug:
AMERICA!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Hey, there's a million channels out there on cable now, there's nothing stopping them from adding one more. What's more remarkable is that they have enough money to put out this garbage. I get the sense that LWT's staff put a lot of effort into researching all over that channel, but they didn't turn up anything aside from how creepy and weird gun enthusiasts can be.

It'd sure be nice for there to be enough groundswell to topple the NRA and let actual gun control happen, and this is the most there's been in a while. It's surprising how much effect those shooting survivors deciding to go political has had. In retrospect, it's confusing how the line of "It's too soon, too close to a tragedy to act on it" ever made any sense.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Perestroika posted:

I feel the same way about all the religious channels

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SlothfulCobra posted:

In retrospect, it's confusing how the line of "It's too soon, too close to a tragedy to act on it" ever made any sense.

The people who say "it's too soon" are the folks who realize they'll look like loving ghouls if they try to defend the right to own murder machines right after some guy kills a bunch of people.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It'd sure be nice for there to be enough groundswell to topple the NRA and let actual gun control happen, and this is the most there's been in a while. It's surprising how much effect those shooting survivors deciding to go political has had. In retrospect, it's confusing how the line of "It's too soon, too close to a tragedy to act on it" ever made any sense.

All it'll take is for a group to actually put some money behind it. Last election cycle the NRA only spent about 24 million, I say only because its relative chump change compared to most politic activism groups, but that was still enough to outspend the largest pro-control group by 4:1. The left will talk about it until they blue in the face but won't actually do anything until there's money to be made doing it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

All it'll take is for a group to actually put some money behind it. Last election cycle the NRA only spent about 24 million, I say only because its relative chump change compared to most politic activism groups, but that was still enough to outspend the largest pro-control group by 4:1. The left will talk about it until they blue in the face but won't actually do anything until there's money to be made doing it.

Even with all the random companies pulling away from the NRA there's a ton of states still passing new "more guns more places no gun free zones" laws over the last couple of weeks.

Probably take a lot more than a little cash being thrown around for that to change

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Even with all the random companies pulling away from the NRA there's a ton of states still passing new "more guns more places no gun free zones" laws over the last couple of weeks.

Probably take a lot more than a little cash being thrown around for that to change

Yeah but that's mostly because they were the people elected with NRA money in the last election. We'll see how well they do this time around.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SlothfulCobra posted:

In retrospect, it's confusing how the line of "It's too soon, too close to a tragedy to act on it" ever made any sense.

It actually makes a lot of sense. It's like when you had the tragedy of 9/11 your government took a good long time to do a thorough study and review and then carefully crafted policy to deal with the true roots of the problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only thing that will take the NRA down is another pro-gun group with more moderate views without ties to the actual gun manufacturing industry.

A good chunk of NRA members want better control just like the majority of the US population wants better control. It's time for the moderates in the NRA to split off and create a group that push the common sense changes they want while still being an advocate for responsible gun ownership.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Part of the reason the NRA is as crazy as it is is that there are a LOT of groups willing to be even MORE crazy than they are.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Part of the reason the NRA is as crazy as it is is that there are a LOT of groups willing to be even MORE crazy than they are.

And yet NAMBLA doesn't have nearly the stranglehold over the government that NRA does.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The NRA wasn't always crazy. They used to do things like sponsor local gun clubs and promote responsible gunmanship.

This is one of the rare instances where you can pinpoint an exact time where the organization shifted from one thing into the thing it is today. Usually, something like this takes time--like how the Democrats went from conservative to liberal, for example. That was something that phased from one thing to another in an uneven, herky-jerky mess. It took years to complete (if you can call the process complete). But the NRA? On May 21, 1977, they went from a non-political group that taught Boy Scouts that shooting was a skill that could earn you a badge (as well as a bunch of other responsible, pro-gun, not-even-on-the-political-spectrum stuff) into a right-wing group dedicated to end all forms of gun control.

The only thing that has changed since then is that they eventually became a lobbying group, but their goal was and is still the same. Well, maybe now they're a bit more concerned with selling more and more guns than they were in the past.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

What happened on May 21, 1977?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SgtSteel91 posted:

What happened on May 21, 1977?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.c79577e4e0b2

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The NRA makes me embarassed to support gun ownership but not enough to like, sour me on it fundamentally.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bull3964 posted:

The only thing that will take the NRA down is another pro-gun group with more moderate views without ties to the actual gun manufacturing industry.

A good chunk of NRA members want better control just like the majority of the US population wants better control. It's time for the moderates in the NRA to split off and create a group that push the common sense changes they want while still being an advocate for responsible gun ownership.

Redneck Revolt is what youre thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

basic hitler posted:

The NRA makes me embarassed to support gun ownership but not enough to like, sour me on it fundamentally.

What about the kids who dies each year because of gun ownership? It's that enough to sour you on it?

• Locked thread