Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fans posted:

Slayer can take two melee weapons, just take a sweeping weapon for dealing with hordes like either of the maces. One hand mace in particular cleans up hordes real nice.

How do you actually assign the second weapon, though? Mine will only let me pick the slot 1 weapon, slot 2 is permanently a power 5 two-handed hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kanos posted:

Each item goes up to 300 individually, but the amount that your items add to your hero power is an average of all of your items' power. So if you have 5 Power 100 items equipped you get +100 hero power, but if you have 2 Power 100 items and 3 Power 50 items you only get +70 hero power.

The max hero power is 600; 300 from being level 30 and 300 from having 5 power 300 items equipped.

Thanks, this is a concise explanation.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Slayer, bounty hunter, huntsman and shade? are all hella boss killers, just kruber stands out. (BH isn't exactly far behind, though.) It makes sense as a role across the board.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've been thinking about it a little and the reason the Ranged stuff stands out is because in most places, the classes are designed around 'What CAN you do now that you couldn't in VT1?', with stuff like Merc Kruber's shout and higher targets hit and Paced Strikes, etc.

Only in the matter of ranged is it 'What COULD you do in VT1 that you can't do now unless you're this class', since they greatly lowered ammo, added in things like falloff, etc comparatively, and so it sticks out as feeling off.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

How do you actually assign the second weapon, though? Mine will only let me pick the slot 1 weapon, slot 2 is permanently a power 5 two-handed hammer.

You just equip it the same way you equip any gear. If thats not working for you then it sounds like something got hosed up.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Can someone explain switching heroes and switching gear? As in, say I play a game as Elf and have my 100 power trinket and necklace equipped. Then the next game I switch to dwarf. Is the burden on me to go in and manually switch to my best items every time I switch dudes? I still haven't figured out what happens if, after I switch everything to the dwarf, I then play the next game as elf, but forget to switch everything back to her character.

Also, in the crafting screen, does it only display unequipped items? The crafting screen just lumping all of the trinkets and what have you on one display not knowing which five of each type are equipped where (are there five equipped at any given time?!) is confusing.

That being said, game is 12/10. Rat killing is fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Night10194 posted:

I've been thinking about it a little and the reason the Ranged stuff stands out is because in most places, the classes are designed around 'What CAN you do now that you couldn't in VT1?', with stuff like Merc Kruber's shout and higher targets hit and Paced Strikes, etc.

Only in the matter of ranged is it 'What COULD you do in VT1 that you can't do now unless you're this class', since they greatly lowered ammo, added in things like falloff, etc comparatively, and so it sticks out as feeling off.

Ranged classes are numerous times more powerful than any ranged options were in VT1, mostly because of the new crit mechanic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

well the weird thing is, if you presume it's implemented well, hero power will probably make balancing easier for Fatshark, but make it harder for players.

i talked about this a bit in the discord a couple nights ago, but when you have the VT1 setup, the issue you run into is that as you add permutations of heroes and equipment evaluated against each threat you present, mathematically the entire situation gets out of hand extremely quickly. if you instead set up weapons such that they are to adhere to their tags rather than some obscure design document that came out about the weapon months or even years ago, you can punt on the specific mathematics of the implementation if you have a sliding scale like hero power. a crowd control weapon should, at x hero power, knock y dudes. a high damage weapon should, at z hero power, kill a in b hits and c in d hits. this doesn't really reduce the number of meaningful choices since the combinations of tags are always different per character. this makes it really easy to go 'ah, norscans are too heavy right now because at 200 hero power, the crowd control weapons are only knocking down 2 of them before getting stuck - they should be able to handle 4 before that happens' or whatever have you. you can then make the focused change that you have isolated (whatever that is), test it quickly with an appropriate hero/tag combination, and call it good - it will affect both Kruber's hammer and Bardin's axe/shield similarly since they both have Crowd Control on them.

this is a pretty nice deal for the developers since it becomes much easier to reason about when something is wrong and what it should do; it's exactly the sort of environment i would try to build if i was in charge since it means i can make balance changes quicker, safer, and with lower impact. but for players, these breakpoints aren't public or easily discernable, so for them, things just start magically working at a certain point and they're not sure why or what happened - and that's really the thing that needs to change. again, even if it's just the courtyard allowing you to spawn illusory, passive enemies instead of using the dummies, i feel like that would be enough. being able to just play with your gear and build in a somewhat real setting would pretty much eliminate all the big problems with hero power right now because at least all the details would be discoverable. right now, they're just not.

I don't see how this is actually any easier for fatshark. Just looking at what power level immediately touches, in vermintide 1, there's only 3 weapon damage permutations: orange, blue, and white/green. There's just a single permutation for targets hit: How well a weapon staggers/cleaves never changes. In vermintide 2, there's an entire spectrum of permutations of weapon damage to try to balance, and a whole spectrum of permutations of targets hit for that weapon to try to balance. (and if I can go down a bunny trail here, I think targets hit is an absolutely critical part of a weapon's balance in vermintide and simply not something you can muck with on a spectrum that a player constantly moves along.)

So they can do what you're describing (which they probably did) and choose some arbitrary power points to balance around, but if they chose only 3 distinct points on the power spectrum to target, that's still exactly where vermintide 1 is, but worse, because they have to figure out cleave balance in addition to damage balance. So in addition to all the issues it adds from a player standpoint, I wouldn't even want power level to exist if I was a fatshark developer trying to make a sensible experience out of the game

vvv agreed

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 6, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The crit mechanic is also kind of a weird addition. It's like everything has something like Killing Blow, inherently.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

comatose posted:

You just equip it the same way you equip any gear. If thats not working for you then it sounds like something got hosed up.

Apparently, as I only have 4 tabs for equipment, and the melee one will never change the 2H hammer to anything else.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

BigHead posted:

Can someone explain switching heroes and switching gear? As in, say I play a game as Elf and have my 100 power trinket and necklace equipped. Then the next game I switch to dwarf. Is the burden on me to go in and manually switch to my best items every time I switch dudes? I still haven't figured out what happens if, after I switch everything to the dwarf, I then play the next game as elf, but forget to switch everything back to her character.

Also, in the crafting screen, does it only display unequipped items? The crafting screen just lumping all of the trinkets and what have you on one display not knowing which five of each type are equipped where (are there five equipped at any given time?!) is confusing.

That being said, game is 12/10. Rat killing is fun.

Everyone shares charms and trinkets, as far as I can tell. You do have to equip them and you also have to keep them equip for your bots, too, I believe - they'll use your classes, anyway.

And yes it will only list things in your inventory and not on your person, so you can right click away.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

Anyone have any gifs handy that I can use to show this game off to my friend who I'm trying to convince to buy this?

https://i.imgur.com/NaQaHfd.gifv

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fatshark please bring back the gratuitous, pandering jiggle physics on kruber from the first game

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

Apparently, as I only have 4 tabs for equipment, and the melee one will never change the 2H hammer to anything else.

Yeah that's really weird. It should be twin axes, other melee, trinkets/charms/necklaces. Maybe swapping class role or character will get rid of it?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Slot one has an icon of a melee weapon
Slot two has an icon of a ranged weapon

click that ranged weapon tab and notice that there are only melee there and no range

That is because it is slot 2 and slayers can't use range

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

explosivo posted:

Anyone have any gifs handy that I can use to show this game off to my friend who I'm trying to convince to buy this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Holy poo poo the grudge raker is off the hook...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Arcane Bodkins skill for elf sounds like a cool idea, 50 bonus damage for headshots, cool. Until you take into account that you normally do 5500 headshot damage. Not as impressive then.

I guess it could push you over to OHK but not many enemies will withstand 5675 damage and die at 5900 (tested with my longbow)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Saltzpyre needs a Dual Swords option.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Arcane Bodkins skill for elf sounds like a cool idea, 50 bonus damage for headshots, cool. Until you take into account that you normally do 5500 headshot damage. Not as impressive then.

I guess it could push you over to OHK but not many enemies will withstand 5675 damage and die at 5900 (tested with my longbow)

It was nerfed down from 150, so it's an absolutely useless skill that just makes the middle option, more crit power, the more obvious choice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lunethex posted:

It was nerfed down from 150, so it's an absolutely useless skill that just makes the middle option, more crit power, the more obvious choice.

In practice it seems to be more than 50 (the numbers I listed before was with/without on a dummy, adding up to 125) but it's still awful.

Does anyone know what the baseline crit chance is?

VVVV Cheers. Figured it was something like that but it's hard to tell since the chance is low. With the talent and gear I get 20% chance of crit which is :italian-chef-kissing-fingers:

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 6, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

5%. Elf gets hidden bonuses as Shade, another +5%.

Elf Dual Wield weapons all have +10% crit chance on light swings too.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Started putzing around as dorf tonight and yep, Warhammer owns on him too. Kinda wanna just get him to 7 for Ironbreaker so I can have a tanky type. Also flamethrower.

I actually like that you can start getting decent gear rapidly on alts because leveling up and the gear grinds there are just the drat worst in games. Short cutting that a little is nice

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still think that hero power was kind of a mistake

at the very least connecting so many things to it that should be hard-coded into weapons was

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So we've been plowing through all the difficulties with a goon 4-man, and I found a REALLY strong tanking/push build for Markus.

It's pretty gear dependent, but you roll an orange necklace until you get the constant hp regen trait. This prevents you from using potions, but if you're playing as a tank it's not a huge issue. Melee is Halberd with 50% strength push, ranged is the repeater, with the trait that increases damage on consecutive hits on same target, which makes for a reasonable boss killer. Spec into max HP/temp health on kills, and you pretty much never die and are able to hold off entire hordes while your friends do most of the ranged damage. I sat on top of rejdukien as he spammed fire on people, and on the off chance you make a mistake and drop a huge amount of HP, someone can still use a medkit on you. But between temp health on kills and passive regen, with proper dodging/blocking you really should never even get low. It's even better if you couple it with the 20% increased strength on your damage resist aura.

We used this strat and pretty much never failed on max grimoire/tome runs on the hardest difficulty.

Note: both of us are sitting around 420 hero power.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

I don't see how this is actually any easier for fatshark. Just looking at what power level immediately touches, in vermintide 1, there's only 3 weapon damage permutations: orange, blue, and white/green. There's just a single permutation for targets hit: How well a weapon staggers/cleaves never changes. In vermintide 2, there's an entire spectrum of permutations of weapon damage to try to balance, and a whole spectrum of permutations of targets hit for that weapon to try to balance. (and if I can go down a bunny trail here, I think targets hit is an absolutely critical part of a weapon's balance in vermintide and simply not something you can muck with on a spectrum that a player constantly moves along.)
This is missing that you need to make sure that all of the weapons make sense with respect to one another, too. This is the way that balance always runs away with people. It took half a year for Fatshark to get the relatively limited armory in VT1 feeling good, and even then, new additions came by to make certain weapons pointless (such as the pick invalidating the greataxe when it came out). There was also the constant problem that oranges were literally the only thing that mattered and fundamentally players were wasting their drat time getting anything but blues or oranges - and the blues were only required to provide shards to unlock the orange traits. THEN you had the problem of weapon traits on top of it being such a complex topic that you can have two idiot nerds talking for twenty minutes about only that topic.

hero power flattens all of this math by punting all of these variables into a much more simple equation that you can then tweak the inputs to. The view of the world they have now fundamentally simplifies the programming challenge here simply because there's now no questions on whether or not something should do this or that; it's all spelled out in the tags and it's all easy to say 'yes, this is in fact a problem' and provides a generally clear path to fixing it - again, presuming it's all implemented in the clear-ish way i'm envisioning.

all that said though, i still feel it's a mistake from the perspective of a game because all of these things still need to be discoverable by players, and currently they're just not.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kimsemus posted:

Vermintide: 420 hero power

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Third World Reggin posted:

Slot one has an icon of a melee weapon
Slot two has an icon of a ranged weapon

click that ranged weapon tab and notice that there are only melee there and no range

That is because it is slot 2 and slayers can't use range

I'm saying I'm not able to change anything in that slot. I have twin axes and the power 5 hammer equipped by default, and I cannot change the hammer. Only the first slot weapon can be moved around. In a game I can even pull out the hammer and use it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, she lost the fur and now she's the exact same puke green as Nurgle boys at a glance.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

by sigmar, yes :420:

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Click the second slot under the character model portrait.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kimsemus posted:

Note: both of us are sitting around 420 hero power.

Same :c00l:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Got to say, I really like the blightstormers voice lines, is there anywhere to hear everything he can say outside the game?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Power system is eh, if only because it feels like my shiny traited weapon gets outdated in three boxes by a system I can't exactly parse by design.

But I dislike the leveling system more, if only because talents matter and having to play each individual character so long to get to the point where I'm at full feistiness is obnoxious as hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Part of me wonders if the elf is double awful now because they took a cue from the community and doubled down on her being the worst.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Power system is eh, if only because it feels like my shiny traited weapon gets outdated in three boxes by a system I can't exactly parse by design.

But I dislike the leveling system more, if only because talents matter and having to play each individual character so long to get to the point where I'm at full feistiness is obnoxious as hell.

Idk what you are talking about, locking vital self-healing abilities until you hit level 20 and huge damage-boosters til at least 10 is totally great game design and not arbitrarily gating progress to pad out the game.

We should be so glad that they made levels *per character* and not *per class*

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does anyone know if you can upgrade to the collector's edition if you've preordered? maybe after launch?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Today I learned that even at 600 power, Saltzpyre's rapier pistol doesn't stun Ratlings on Champion the way it does on Veteran.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mining pick is a real piece of poo poo. "Wide sweeps" but has no stun or knockback at all and only swings once every thousand years when a bloody red moon hangs low in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Grimgrottor The Unclean, we have a magic-using human running around and immolating our men the second that she looks at them. Why do you look so composed?"

"Of course I'm okay, I have metal armor"

• Locked thread