Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

im a big fan of all kinds of critters, i think i should start a terrarium does anyone have any good resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Why keep when you can eat?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

cause i already got my fill going down on your mom

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.

ContraBoss posted:

Yes, in fact I have a thriving colony of pillbugs in my crabitat that mill around whenever I mist the tank.

Thats right up your alley, right? RIGHT? :haw:

Isopods are super cool and it is ridiculous how efficient they are at keeping crab tanks clean.

Former DILF posted:

im a big fan of all kinds of critters, i think i should start a terrarium does anyone have any good resources?

Terrariums are fun to put together and really easy to maintain. It's really just heat+water to keep it going. Hermit crabs require a ridiculous amount of dirt to live in (because they are dirty crabs) but there are some cool land crabs that can be kept like rainbow crabs and red claw crabs.

Also eating crabs is disgusting, they thrive off of dead things and their own poop.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lockwell posted:

Does anyone else keep any other sorts of crustaceans? I also have crayfish and I consider them honorary crabs.

Sign me up for a more-bad rear end

Former DILF posted:

cause i already got my fill going down on your mom

*totally blown away*
*mike Tyson's punch out KO noise*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lockwell posted:

Isopods are super cool and it is ridiculous how efficient they are at keeping crab tanks clean.

Terrariums are fun to put together and really easy to maintain. It's really just heat+water to keep it going. Hermit crabs require a ridiculous amount of dirt to live in (because they are dirty crabs) but there are some cool land crabs that can be kept like rainbow crabs and red claw crabs.

Also eating crabs is disgusting, they thrive off of dead things and their own poop.

If it’s so dirty why is there not a single poisonous crab?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Sign me up for a more-bad rear end

I like that one that killed Hitler.

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.

LingcodKilla posted:

If it’s so dirty why is there not a single poisonous crab?

Coconut crabs have been known to be poisonous due to what they eat.

https://naturespoisons.com/2015/03/26/cerberin-death-by-coconut-crab/

And then there is the species of crab that are just straight up toxic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthidae

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lockwell posted:

Yet somehow they manage to turn that into delicious crab meat. Truly one of God’s miracles.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lockwell posted:

Coconut crabs have been known to be poisonous due to what they eat.

https://naturespoisons.com/2015/03/26/cerberin-death-by-coconut-crab/

And then there is the species of crab that are just straight up toxic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthidae

Foreign crabs. I guess my knowledge of crab toxicity was limited to North America.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Former DILF posted:

Resources like weblinks and such? I don't have much off the top of my head, but if you have a basic understanding of life on a small scale, its super fun to just go out into a field or some woody area and gather bark, sticks, leaves and some soil.

Hell, honestly break up a brick of Eco-Earth and prepare it so its nice and moist and add the stuff you find just by going outside. Like it was mentioned, just keep your habitat moist and somewhat warm and you'll start to see things thrive. Usually if you can keep some dish with basic food components that most bugs and whatnot thrive on, such as some leafy greens, dried shrimp or some source of protein that isn't too stinky, ground or cooked starches, you'll be amazed at what was living in the materials you gathered in the woods as they come out and interact with everything. Like I mentioned a few times earlier, just finding some wild crickets and dropping them in there and watching how they live is a lot of fun.

Also, if you want some alternative live greenery, I've been having fun sprinkling in various seeds like chia, millet, quinoa, legumes, sunflower, flax, buckwheat, or just some birdseed mix. It readily sprouts and most herbivorous bugs like eating the seeds or new growth.

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 6, 2018

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Australia has a few toxic crabs, some make you see things

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Combining my two favorite things, crabs and 40k

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What an idiot.

Go crab go!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Who What Now posted:

best thing about this pic is how nonchalant the crab looks

"alright pal i'm gonna just crush your finger here and i won't even break a sweat doing it"

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Nothing is more stoic than a crab!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Kharnifex posted:

Australia has a few toxic crabs, some make you see things

woah tell me about drug crabs please

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I looked them up cause i thought they would look cool but the only info I was able to obtain was "no known antitoxin"

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

the black husserl posted:

ya'll this is the greatest crab music video of all time, FACTS, i do not PLAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evd6NTD1wf4

This video is great, also this thread got me to order some crab legs and canned crab online . Live crab isn't easy to get where I live unless you are talking about seasonal river crabs.

They have very little meat but that's not why you eat them. The yellow goo is the roe and when harvested at the right time they are filled with it. I look forward to them every year. You combine the roe with a sweet black vinegar and you are set. Whats funny is that apparently outside of China people view them as mostly pests. The Thames is supposedly crawling with them as an invasive species. Selling them to Chinese tourists is apparently being floated as a way to mitigate their impact.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
would eat, but possibly not if they were themselves eating poison silt from a death river of pollution

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Who What Now posted:

the guy in that thumbnail (Coyote Peterson) is kind of a lunatic tbh, he has a series devoted to catching dangerous animals and letting them sting/bite him so he can describe the pain on camera for science or whatever

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

This looks like an opilio or bairdi (tanner) crab handing over the Klobb. I know this from having watched literally every single episode of the deadliest catch and having played Goldeneye on the N64.

I like the rare seasons where they go fishing for the much rare blue or golden king crab too right up in the arctic circle when the quotas allow.

Here is a wikipedia page I like a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Edible_crustaceans

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kekeke! posted:

This video is great, also this thread got me to order some crab legs and canned crab online . Live crab isn't easy to get where I live unless you are talking about seasonal river crabs.

They have very little meat but that's not why you eat them. The yellow goo is the roe and when harvested at the right time they are filled with it. I look forward to them every year. You combine the roe with a sweet black vinegar and you are set. Whats funny is that apparently outside of China people view them as mostly pests. The Thames is supposedly crawling with them as an invasive species. Selling them to Chinese tourists is apparently being floated as a way to mitigate their impact.

Mitten crabs? They have liver flukes that don’t die easily to extreme heat and are ok with humans as hosts.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

would eat, but possibly not if they were themselves eating poison silt from a death river of pollution

You just keep them in a clean water and feed them good stuff for a week or so

edit - ew not if they have liver flukes though

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Guys, guys.....the crab is not for eating. He's for being your little buddy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1wEvmaf80

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

I really like the SSHHHKKNNGGG sound whenever an opponent is down.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm going diving this weekend to try and get some pictures of the blacktip shark migration, but I'm making a special side trip to the beach to get crab pictures because ghost crabs are adorable and good

Mole crabs on the other hand are less adorable but also good

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm going diving this weekend to try and get some pictures of the blacktip shark migration, but I'm making a special side trip to the beach to get crab pictures because ghost crabs are adorable and good

Mole crabs on the other hand are less adorable but also good

W00t! It's easy to get side-track with beach activities when you start to pay attention to the behind the scenes critters.

I must say, mole crabs are adorable in their own right. Where was this taken, if you don't mind?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ContraBoss posted:

W00t! It's easy to get side-track with beach activities when you start to pay attention to the behind the scenes critters.

I must say, mole crabs are adorable in their own right. Where was this taken, if you don't mind?

Sadly these aren't mine, I snaked them off Google. I'd guess somewhere on Florida's East coast though, we've got the little dudes all over.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8POaO-9TY

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

that clearly an infant crawdad you charlatan

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
apparently there are aggressive forms of the mole crab who prey upon their brethren

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Thread goes from strength to strength imo

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Mitten crabs? They have liver flukes that don’t die easily to extreme heat and are ok with humans as hosts.

ahhhhhh i knew these guys probably had all sorts of bad stuff from water pollution but this is hella gnarly. From what I'm reading its mostly a problem of uncooked crab but even still...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:thunk:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kekeke! posted:

ahhhhhh i knew these guys probably had all sorts of bad stuff from water pollution but this is hella gnarly. From what I'm reading its mostly a problem of uncooked crab but even still...

Ever feel a random itching sensation deep in your belly?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

what the gently caress

i've never even heard of a mole crab let alone seen one

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Any given beach from CA to WA has them. Makes good bait because they stay on hook pretty strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my cat is norris posted:

what the gently caress

i've never even heard of a mole crab let alone seen one

They're awesome. One of my favorite memories of going to to the beach as a kid was scooping up wet sand and feeling the tickling sensation of them trying to burrow into your hand.