Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Wind River based on some corny rear end best selling mystery novel? Cuz that's been the only thought bothering me while I watch this.
It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hey IM Hunter Dude and I'm here to teach you Miss FBI Agent, have you ever heard of following footprints or using binoculars???

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's a brutal gangrape and beating scene for a film full of so many cookie cutter characters and genre cliches and hokey dialogue
Like, no fair movie, you ain't exactly got the quality or gravitas to justify such horror. Now I just want them to get these lousy white dudes and apparently there's only like 20 min left in this substanceless ghost of a film so here we gooooo
I did like them subverting my expectations exactly one time tho, when they finally show the BF considering the actor and TV Procedural level of writing I assumed he'd have to be the bad guy...consider me wrong and wronged

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

conventionalcat posted:

it reminds me of when i was in high school and watched In the Loop when it came out, hearing on the internet it'd be hilarious and then staring blank faced at the dry british political stuff. whats the joke??? i think i missed it every time

I tried to watch In The Loop and didn't think it was that funny, but the TV show it was a spinoff from (The Thick of It, possibly still on Hulu? I watched it a looong time ago on there) is one of my favorite TV comedies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
(Wind River) Well seeing all those piece of poo poo oil rig white dudes get explosively sniped and the final "chance" was fun but didn't really make up for...the rest of the film. 6/10
Kinda rude to even compare it to sicario or hell or high water, writer aside. Closer to Sons of Anarchy really, even tho Sheridan was just an actor in that. I just kept thinking of the better movies this movie was trying so hard to be, the Nick Cave The Proposition similar soundtrack didn't help. Felt like a lot of it was just Jeremy Renner monologuing grocery store fiction.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
just watched Steve Jobs for the first time now that it's on netflix and thought the writing was pretty hilarious and loved the direction & Fassbender's portrayal of jobs as like a white Kanye. i sorta expected this to be more boring than it was, the score definitely carries it a bit but it's somehow lively. still prefer The Social Network however Jobs is a more interesting subject for sure, this coulda been an amazing Fincher movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's insane to me how much Boyle distanced himself from that movie. Like I didn't even know he directed it until after it came out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I need to re-watch that one with "Deadweight" in the closing credits, that one was legit. They should of just called her Deadweight, I reckon.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
My homie got me to watch Good time yesterday, and drat dude. What a movie. I've been thinking about it all drat day. Like, the whole movie is just left turn after left turn. Robert pattinson is just the biggest scumbag ever, and he dives headfirst into every single crime he commits, no matter how bad he fucks up. And he does almost nothing but gently caress up, but he never slows down. Ever. He just doubles down every single time he screws up. It was amazing. I think the soundtrack was like half the movie, it kept me so tense. I thought my heart was gonna explode. Every scene I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for something horrible to happen, waiting for the hammer to drop. But even when it does drop, pattinson doesn't ever slow down. He just keeps going even further and further, ruining every person he meet's life. Been a while since a movie hit me this hard.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Good Time was one of my faves of 2017. I was even more impressed once I learned Pattinson's bro in the movie was a Safdie brother. The film definitely deserved more awards recognition, it definitely affected me a lot more than a few of those Best Picture noms.

mystes
May 31, 2006

conventionalcat posted:

it reminds me of when i was in high school and watched In the Loop when it came out, hearing on the internet it'd be hilarious and then staring blank faced at the dry british political stuff. whats the joke??? i think i missed it every time
In the Loop is funny. :colbert:

Also, it's on Hulu.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

In the Loop is funny. :colbert:

Also, it's on Hulu.

It is funny. And it's basically the pilot episode to Veep.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
haven't watched In the Loop in a decade and fully expect to appreciate more about it now, and yeah Good Time was one of my favorites of 2017 for sure. Brigsby Bear was also recently added to Netflix and is a gem of a movie you should check out if you're into Be Kind Rewind, Where the Wild Things Are, or any of the Star Wars

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

It's insane to me how much Boyle distanced himself from that movie. Like I didn't even know he directed it until after it came out.

It's pretty unlike anything I've seen him tackle. I really like Boyle, but I'm not interested in Steve Jobs, so I put off watching it for a while and actually liked it quite a bit, but I just would have rather seen Boyle work on something else tbh. It's not his worst movie but it's my least favorite.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Attack of the Mushroom People is up on Amazon Prime. One of Toho's weirder 60s SFX movie, it's a film about the survivors of a shipwreck getting hooked on mushrooms that turn them into monsters and is a weird parable about conformity.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good movies to watch stoned on Netflix? Anyone?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Attack of the Mushroom People is up on Amazon Prime. One of Toho's weirder 60s SFX movie, it's a film about the survivors of a shipwreck getting hooked on mushrooms that turn them into monsters and is a weird parable about conformity.

You have no idea how disappointed I am that this is dub only, and how disappointed I am in myself that this is a disappointment to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A Dark Song if you are open to horror.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Okja, Take Me, Pete's Dragon, I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore, Brigsby Bear, Death Race 2050, The Bad Batch, Keanu, GotG vol. 2, Ghost in the Shell 2017, Elysium, Chappie, Power Rangers 2017, Bright, Neo Yokio (it's 3 hours total if you haven't watched it 10 times like me yet and don't already know)

e: also The Babysitter, The Villainess, but really I can't stress Brigsby Bear enough

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 6, 2018

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Whats with people describing their dislike with a movie saying they didn't pay attention to it, and after finishing it didn't feel it's any good? That's your fault for not paying attention.
I was making dinner ,while The Godfather was playing on my phone in the background.. And you know what, I don't get the hype!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Brigsby Bear was loving incredible.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Monglo posted:

Whats with people describing their dislike with a movie saying they didn't pay attention to it, and after finishing it didn't feel it's any good? That's your fault for not paying attention.
I was making dinner ,while The Godfather was playing on my phone in the background.. And you know what, I don't get the hype!

This irks me too ( not aiming this at anyone in this thread). There are some people who don't really 'watch' movies, just have them on while they do other stuff and just sort of have the movie there. Then these people have the worst loving complaints about the movie/tv series. I see it a lot with people who binge watch a new TV series the day it comes out . "It's 3 in the afternoon and I just finished all 13 hour long episodes of [new show] that dropped at midnight I just didn't like it even though I barely paid attention and was half asleep for 7 of those episodes."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Colossus of Rhodes is on Prime apparently, for any Leone fans out there. I have no idea if it's any good but it's the last Leone film on my list so I have to watch it regardless. Always a bit sad to get to the end of a great director's filmography though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I got higher than tits and watched Ghostbusters last night, it worked pretty well

Caddyshack is also on there

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wolf Cop if it’s still up there. It’s great even if you’re not high.

There is one about coral reefs Chasing Coral (it think that’s the one)maybe isn’t one I’d personally recommend watching while high. There was all these already trippy closeups of coral, and it moving and all colorful and stuff. I started freaking out watching that, but you might like it.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monglo posted:

i was trying to be sly about it at least!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

conventionalcat posted:

Okja, Take Me, Pete's Dragon, I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore, Brigsby Bear, Death Race 2050, The Bad Batch, Keanu, GotG vol. 2, Ghost in the Shell 2017, Elysium, Chappie, Power Rangers 2017, Bright, Neo Yokio (it's 3 hours total if you haven't watched it 10 times like me yet and don't already know)

e: also The Babysitter, The Villainess, but really I can't stress Brigsby Bear enough
you broke my heart making me think the villainess was on netflix yo :qq:

thanks for the recs though y'all. I've seen A Futile and Stupid Gesture and not uhhh Caddyshack, so that might be a thought too...

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i should warn that you probably need to be preeetty medicated to fully appreciate Death Race 2050--it's dumb self aware to the point of anxiety inducing but it really goes for broke, and the effects are cool & goofy enough to enjoy on their own and appreciate the film's existence, even if you watch on mute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGOI1v-WXIM
e: drat, Villainess is on Netflix Canada, sorry if my recs aren't all available!

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 6, 2018

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
New trailer for the Netflix original series Lost in Space is up. I'm too young for the original series and too old for the 1998 reboot (and I guess there have been other adaptations). But the world looks great. 10 year old me would watch the hell out of this.

And fun appearance by Elizabeth Banks.

https://youtu.be/fzmM0AB60QQ

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They're not movies but any of the "Planet ____" series are a blast while stoned. Especially the coral reef episodes of Blue Planet.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cocoa Ninja posted:

That's Parker Posey.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

American Dad is the funniest thing to watch when ur high but they moved it to Hulu

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cocoa Ninja posted:

New trailer for the Netflix original series Lost in Space is up. I'm too young for the original series and too old for the 1998 reboot (and I guess there have been other adaptations). But the world looks great. 10 year old me would watch the hell out of this.

The 1998 movie was one of the worst movies I had ever seen. I caught a bit of it channel surfing and it turns out that I wasn’t just thinking

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Memories of the 1998 movie give me a visceral “nope nope nope” feeling about the Netflix series. I haven’t even seen the trailers, the movie was that bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They're not movies but any of the "Planet ____" series are a blast while stoned. Especially the coral reef episodes of Blue Planet.

Counterpoint: Round Planet is better than any of the Planet ____ Series'.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The only reason to call this series Lost in Space is so the Geth can say "Danger, Will Robinson" once an episode and that is laaaaaaaame.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You should probably risk it all and take the 2 minutes and 30 seconds to watch the trailer because it is cool and nothing like the 98 movie outside of the fact that it's similar in look to something from 20 years ago versus something from 50 years ago.

e: Speaking of the 98 movie I just remember that it starred accused sexual assaulter and Oscar winner Gary Oldman as Dr. Smith and I'm pretty sure at the end of it they travel back in time and there are now two robots and two Will Robinsons (and old and young one) and it's never mentioned or dealt with at all. That movie stinks.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 6, 2018

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You should probably risk it all and take the 2 minutes and 30 seconds to watch the trailer because it is cool and nothing like the 98 movie outside of the fact that it's similar in look to something from 20 years ago versus something from 50 years ago.

I did.

It might turn out to be a cool show, but that doesn't change the fact that the only reason to call this series Lost in Space is so the Geth can say "Danger, Will Robinson" once an episode and that is laaaaaaaame.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I made it through about half the trailer just now and while it looks pretty, it also looks kind of generic. If the reviews are good I’ll give it a shot but it didn’t change my active dislike of the franchise.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

My statement wasn't actually directed at you, it was at the other guy who said he didn't watch it but already didn't like it.

And I'm fine with a Geth telling Will Robinson to watch out, that seems like a cool mobile AI platform to me.

e: A family of explorers lost in space is really all you need for it to be Lost in Space, Swiss Family Robinson references aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hey that 98 movie ruled when I was 9