Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Alter Ego posted:

I have given Kadala thousands upon thousands of blood shards and she still refuses to grant me a Zoey's Secret.

Forget Diablo, forget Malthael, Kadala is the true final boss and the most evil character in this game.
This season's White Whale for me was Oculus Ring, which is annoying because (a) it's a follower item and its stats are mostly irrelevant so literally any Oculus will do, and (b) it's a huge potential damage increase when pushing GRs that you can't substitute with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Incoherence posted:

This season's White Whale for me was Oculus Ring, which is annoying because (a) it's a follower item and its stats are mostly irrelevant so literally any Oculus will do, and (b) it's a huge potential damage increase when pushing GRs that you can't substitute with anything else.

gently caress I just realized my follower is still using like a Leoric's Signet or some poo poo. I still haven't seen a Oculus and I'm at 615p!

Still only one Ramaladni, too. Fuckin'... gimme

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just prefer to play softcore because the people I tend to play with do and I don't want to sink the extra time into leveling up another character or backup when I die and that's that.

Otherwise, I'm just uninterested in hardcore mode. I'm just as much at the mercy of a sketchy connection no matter what game mode I'm on or any other factors that turn people off about it.

And that's more words than I ever imagined that I'd express over hardcore mode. It's there for the crowd that's into it. I will never tell anyone why they should or shouldn't play hardcore because who cares?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress I just realized my follower is still using like a Leoric's Signet or some poo poo. I still haven't seen a Oculus and I'm at 615p!

Still only one Ramaladni, too. Fuckin'... gimme

Yeah, I just got my second gift at like P620 or something. Hilariously that and my second Unity were what gave me the extra beef needed to push into the 90s and get a leaderboard spot (by letting me roll the socket I'd rolled on my Kyoshiro's Blade into vitality).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Star Man posted:

who cares?

Nobody ever tagged you or quoted you or called you out in any way. Why are you giving your two four cents on something you're not interested in? Forums are for discussing topics you're interested in, not hunting down stuff you don't care about to :byodame: at them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For me the shift from soft to hard made it seem way more like Dungeons & Dragons (we always play with the no rez rules) and that made it 100% more fun for me. Death having a consequence makes it a different game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D&D without rezzes doesn't sound like D&D at all, and honestly sounds like every other tabletop RPG since the majority of non-D&D trpgs don't have rezzes. To the point where D&D became "the game where your party can rez your character."

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
When seasons first came in I was doing 90% softcore and 10% HC once I got bored/finished getting my tab.

Every season I did HC more and more and now I'm 100% HC. Laughing at stupid deaths and that rush of 'Oh poo poo' when you nearly die keeps the game fresh for me. I probably would have dropped it a couple of seasons ago if not for that.

This season had an extra twist. I'm moving house and won't have proper internet for 10 days so I'm on some lovely wireless dongle which works fine most of the time then without warning has huge lag spikes. Even standard rifts would become deathtraps then smooth back out. Can't say I'm a super fan of this version of HC so I can see why lagtastic people don't want to put up with it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is sad when a game breaks someone's brain. I know a guy who was so thoroughly decimated by Destiny 2 that he rejoined the workforce just to have something better to do.

Wow

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ha, I finally got Dawn from Kadala and extracted the legendary power. I run the DH build from icy veins and have 5 of the point daggers, 2 compass rose, 4 or 5 of the quivers, 3 conventions of the elements... all I need now gear wise is the elusive ring.
My vengeance is practically constantly up with maybe a 2 second gap and I wrecked GR65 with 7 minutes spare time...

Question: If I find an item I already extracted, say Dawn again with a higher legendary power I.e. 58% rather than 52% for example, can I overwrite the extract?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hopper posted:

Question: If I find an item I already extracted, say Dawn again with a higher legendary power I.e. 58% rather than 52% for example, can I overwrite the extract?

Legendary powers inside Kanai's Cube are always the highest potential value they can be, to avoid the necessity of doing precisely that. Your cubed Dawn is the best its cluck chance can be, which IIRC is 60%.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is sad when a game breaks someone's brain. I know a guy who was so thoroughly decimated by Destiny 2 that he rejoined the workforce just to have something better to do.

Holy poo poo and I thought my life was miserable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Star Man posted:

Keep him in your thoughts and prayers, my friend.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like I'm capping out at ~GR80. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to push it further?

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Horizon-1440/hero/98773723

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

obi_ant posted:

Looks like I'm capping out at ~GR80. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to push it further?

Have you not rerolled most of your gear or is it just not showing up?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

obi_ant posted:

Phone posting so I can’t see your rolls but you need Rattling Roll as your Vault rune to take advantage of Strongarm Bracers and Numbing Traps instead of Thrill for passives. You need a diamond in your helm and at least ~33% CDR for permanent Vengeance with the Gogok. I’m also going to guess you don’t have optimal rolls in all gear slots yet.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kyrosiris posted:

Legendary powers inside Kanai's Cube are always the highest potential value they can be, to avoid the necessity of doing precisely that. Your cubed Dawn is the best its cluck chance can be, which IIRC is 60%.
With the exception of that one DH belt where Blizzard thinks the highest value is the most valuable, but the build that uses it wants the lowest roll.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
I would just like to say that there are certain builds/skills that don't click with me. Builds that I despise. Today's challenge rift (The Thrill Singularity Mage) is one of those skills. Goddamn. HATE that spammy thing. Took me 4 tries to beat the rift and I hope to never use that skill ever again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

obi_ant posted:

Is the problem staying alive because you get 1-shot, or because enemies take too long to kill and so they overwhelm you?

Swap thrill of the hunt for Numbing Traps (will help keep you alive)

Swap out the Topaz in your helmet for a Diamond (will keep Vengeance/Fan of Knives up more often, giving you more damage and survivability)

Regarding gear, you've got some pieces that are trash tier and some that could just likely be improved. I can't tell if/what you've rerolled already, so some of this advice may not require new gear if you can just reroll existing perks. Here's my Order of Importance:

Your Chest Armor is probably the worst it could possibly be - You want Dex/Vit/3sockets/All-Res, and you've got only Dex/3sockets (plus Rain of Vengeance damage?!)

Your Pants hopefully haven't been rerolled yet, because they're Ancient but you've got Entangling Shot Damage which is completely useless. Roll that off for All-Res or maybe Vitality. Armor isn't very useful but Entangling Shot is literally doing nothing.

Your Shoes have a dead perk (Chakram Damage) that you can hopefully roll off for Impale%

Your Shoulders want Dex, Vit, Cooldown, Area Damage and you've only got Dex and Vit (good high rolls on both though)

Your Convention of Elements is bad because of the low inherent roll (161%) and because it has Vitality instead of Crit Damage

Your Compass Rose is bad because it has Vitality and Movement Speed instead of Crit Chance

Your Holy Point Shot has two bummers on it (Socket and Vitality) - Lightning% or Impale% will be an improvement.

Look for a better Helmet - Crit Chance would be better than Impale%, but obviously you'd hope for both. Armor isn't useful so if you could have your same Helmet but with crit% or Vitality instead of Armor, it'd be much better.

Your gloves are decent but if you can swap Attack Speed for Crit Damage, they'll be outstanding.

Your Strongarm Bracers would be much better with Lightning Damage instead of All-Res

Your Karlei's Point is nice because it's ancient, but you don't want Life per Hit on it (or Area Damage, but Life per hit is much worse). %Damage or Attack Speed will be much better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Area Damage is almost worthless for Impale. LoH is pretty good though where you can get it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dum Cumpster posted:

Have you not rerolled most of your gear or is it just not showing up?

Whoa wait yeah, have you seriously not rerolled much of anything?!

If you can make even half of the changes I mentioned you'll jump 10 grift levels, poo poo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't realize that there was a delay when swapping out stuff. I swapped out / re-rolled a bunch of stuff, but haven't looked at the thread yet, I'll check it out now to see if I made correct changes.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is my first time playing since season 7, and I've made more progress in the past week than I've made since owing the game.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

obi_ant posted:

I didn't realize that there was a delay when swapping out stuff. I swapped out / re-rolled a bunch of stuff, but haven't looked at the thread yet, I'll check it out now to see if I made correct changes.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is my first time playing since season 7, and I've made more progress in the past week than I've made since owing the game.

You have to log out/in to update your character on the website I believe.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

obi_ant posted:

Dude, I was looking at the quality of your rolls and thinking "god drat shadow impale is powerful if this guy is pushing gr80", haha

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Star Man posted:

Yeah that dude is extremely fuckin online

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like I can clear 80 pretty easily now. I'm pretty squishy, but my items are really all that optimal anyway. I've been running GRs so I can get shards and gamble for something better. My main focus right now is my quiver and helm.

Edit: Is the jump from 80 to 85 that drastic? Cause 85 is not pretty for me at all. I do not think I do enough damage.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 6, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

obi_ant posted:

Looks like I can clear 80 pretty easily now. I'm pretty squishy, but my items are really all that optimal anyway. I've been running GRs so I can get shards and gamble for something better. My main focus right now is my quiver and helm.

Edit: Is the jump from 80 to 85 that drastic? Cause 85 is not pretty for me at all. I do not think I do enough damage.

You don't have very many pieces of ancient gear, so just running lots and lots of 75 Rifts will do a lot to get you better gear, higher legendary gems, and of course the ability to augment your stuff.

You are also getting to the point where technical play becomes a little more important, so you will need to do things like hang out in the Oculus Rift that your follower makes, or... the much despised Convention of elements timing

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So what do Ancient items do generally speaking? I have some but I don't know what I am looking for in comparison to non ancient...

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Hopper posted:

So what do Ancient items do generally speaking? I have some but I don't know what I am looking for in comparison to non ancient...

Better stat range and they can be augmennted for more mainstat

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hopper posted:

An ancient item will have higher dex/str/int, armor, vitality, resistance, and Damage than a non ancient. Something big like... 25% higher?

Ancients can be "Augmented" too, which is an endgame ability where you sacrifice a legendary gem to permanently add some dex/str/int to a piece of gear.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ancients can be "Augmented" too, which is an endgame ability where you sacrifice a legendary gem to permanently add some dex/str/int to a piece of gear.

gently caress.

I didn't know this.

gently caress.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm slowly working my way through the season journey. Did DH to give the Shadow Impale set a try and while I can clear t13-equivalent content with it, it takes a while and all that clicking was doing a number on my hands.

I swapped over to the Natalya-Marauder hybrid engineer build and I'm having a much easier time of things, at the very least I'm sure I'll get that spicy Imperius portrait.

I can't imagine playing this on HC though. I have other games if I want a genuine challenge (MHW atm).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

obi_ant posted:

Isn't it +19% enemy health per GR level? If so, 5 levels is ~239% more enemy health right (because it's multiplicative for each level)? Quite a jump.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Don't forget to log in to get your starcraft battlecruiser pet. It's adorable

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

LordAdakos posted:

Don't forget to log in to get your starcraft battlecruiser pet. It's adorable

You actually need to go all the way into a game (join/create), not just the character select screen. Don't be dumb like I was. :saddowns:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not a fan of these last couple challenge rifts actually providing a challenge. I like them better when they’re just laughing at bad rando specs and getting EZ mats in five minutes.

Xarbala posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the season journey. Did DH to give the Shadow Impale set a try and while I can clear t13-equivalent content with it, it takes a while and all that clicking was doing a number on my hands.

I swapped over to the Natalya-Marauder hybrid engineer build and I'm having a much easier time of things, at the very least I'm sure I'll get that spicy Imperius portrait.

That’s strange, Shadow is one of the fastest speed builds a DH has. Nat/Mara is much slower with all the setup.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 6, 2018

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

exquisite tea posted:

That’s strange, Shadow is one of the fastest speed builds a DH has. Nat/Mara is much slower with all the setup.

It depends. If you just have the bare minimum on Shad/Impale then you might not have enough damage to do T13 quickly and it'd take longer than doing it with the N6M4 set which I find has more damage overall for roughly the same level of gear (in terms of ancients and stuff).

If you farm a bit more on Impale then yeah you can fly through rifts. I have a farm Impale build set up in my wardrobe where I've got Broken Crown cubed for extra gems, Boon of the Hoarder and Goldwrap. I have 15000% gold find, double gem drops, every trash mob explodes in gold and I can blast through everything at T13 and about GR 75 in a 4 man group. Owns.

I have a multishot farm build up which kills large packs of trash slightly quicker but it doesn't have the crazy extra move speed from the shadow/impale build. Maybe I can play around with my skills or something and make this happen.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Each GR is a ~10% overall difficulty jump.

Ancient items have stat band ranges that run 30% higher than non-ancient. 10% chance of dropping when a legendary drops.

Primal ancients, which are unlocked after solo completing within the time limit a GR70 are perfectly rolled ancient items. You get no notification that they are unlocked. Less than 1% of dropping when a legendary drops.

When you augment, the stat that is added to your gear is based on the color gem you use.

These are the normal missing information re items/gear for newbies or people coming back from long rear end gaps.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dameius posted:

Each GR is a ~10% overall difficulty jump.

https://d3resource.com/difficulties/

This seems to show that 5 GR levels = ~2.1x more enemy health. This works out to a 17% increase in enemy health per GR. For example, T12 to T13 is 961,759% enemy health, x 1.17 x 1.17 x 1.17 x 1.17 x 1.17 = 2,108,607%.

Similarly enemy damage seems to go up about 7% per GR level.

Your damage needs to scale faster than your survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That’s really only true in the mathematical sense. In function certain builds will eventually run out of ways to survive long enough to hit the monster, and others will run out of ways to do enough damage. Once you’re into the upper 90s any progress is going to be determined not through gear and skill alone, but favorable mob comps, pylons, density, and the player’s own judgment.