Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mike the TV posted:

Would you also like us to create and follow a flightplan in Elite? That way we can call in our destination before leaving, and we can't stop along the way. A high grade USS in your path? Don't stop, it's not on the plan. Decide you want to stop at a hazrez to shoot pirates for a little while? You get a huge fine for deviating from the flight plan. Run out of fuel? Lose your pilots license.

he was arguing against the strict adherence to realism dude not for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

he was arguing against the strict adherence to realism dude not for it

I got you. I was following along with the silly real world parallels.

Sorry if I came off as hostile, Tippis.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i misunderstood!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You laugh, but this is basically how flying the passenger liner was supposed to be in Star Citizen. With the added bonus of getting to 'interact' with your paying passengers in the form of wonderful minigames like 'reconfigure the comms array so Shithead #7 can watch MLP' and 'mix a margarita for Fuckwit #31'. Have fun with that under fire.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Strategic Tea posted:

But what do you even do once you have the maxed out corvette except continue the 'grind' of shooting, hauling or exploring?

Truga posted:

you can do that grind in the corvette.

different people enjoy different ships, shocking I know

There are no Ships. There is only The Grind.

Dirty Frank posted:

Maybe at the moment, it wasn't always like that though. One of my father in law's favourite stories is calling a friend to divert a plane ~100 miles to pick him up when he missed a flight, this was back in 60s Nigeria, he was some kind of middle manager, not at all powerful or rich.

When your company owns the government, middle-managers can be pretty powerful. Sub-Saharan Africa is a scifi dystopia in that respect. In other words: being able to divert the flight feels accurate to me.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Half joking here: What if they implemented a simple payment plan for larger, more expensive ships? Do most people go to a car dealership and say "here is $40,000 for this new car"? No, they don't. They have a monthly payment plan so that they can drive the car now. Figuring out the payments would be the tricky part.
Also, what if you don't make your monthly payment? This could introduce a new bounty hunter mission called "reposession" where you have to track down the offending ship and disable it for repo. Or they could just lock down your ship the next time it docks at any port.

OR what if you could help build your ship buy using mined and salvaged materials to offset the cost of "building" your ship?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Make it like Mechwarror 2: Mercenaries where you could blow out the cockpit of another mech and then it was yours to use after you paid to fix it up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

Half joking here: What if they implemented a simple payment plan for larger, more expensive ships? Do most people go to a car dealership and say "here is $40,000 for this new car"? No, they don't. They have a monthly payment plan so that they can drive the car now. Figuring out the payments would be the tricky part.
Also, what if you don't make your monthly payment? This could introduce a new bounty hunter mission called "reposession" where you have to track down the offending ship and disable it for repo. Or they could just lock down your ship the next time it docks at any port.

OR what if you could help build your ship buy using mined and salvaged materials to offset the cost of "building" your ship?

In theory it could work sort of like the current 'loan' system where if you get shot down and take a loan to cover your rebuy costs, you end up paying like 10% of your income towards said loan until it's paid off.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I forget who sent me their Cobra 3 build but thank you, it works so well and the mini gun + beam lasers really do quick work of anything small and I've managed to 1v1 a Python in an assassination mission so that was surprising.

Looking forward to setting up my Python and Clipper very much when I get the rank!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
wait wait wait

material traders only show up on the galaxy map for places you've already been?

:laffo:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah, it was the one :frontear: thing they had to do with the update. Luckily searchable lists have already been compiled eg. at Inara

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

wait wait wait

Clearly they want people to use the Economic Route option in the course plotter. :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rynoto posted:

Yeah, it was the one :frontear: thing they had to do with the update. Luckily searchable lists have already been compiled eg. at Inara

But why? What's the point?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

jubjub64 posted:

Oh great now I HAVE to grind to make my monthly payment for my internet spaceship.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

KakerMix posted:

This is a question that has been asked of every single game update since beta.

It's practically a Tradition by now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

KakerMix posted:

Gave up long ago on trying to figure out why/how some of their odd ideas make it to live.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rynoto posted:

Gave up long ago on trying to figure out why/how some of their odd ideas make it to live.

Two words:

Forum Dads.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gonna make an educated guess and assume the official reasoning is something along the lines of "it encourages the player to explore!"

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

wait wait wait

On the bright side, you can still try to search for them in the individual system maps. If it's a system you have data for, you can view the available facilities in a station there, and it lists material traders there too. A lot of the bigger population systems have their data already in your maps anyway.

It takes a little longer to look for the right economy/size systems and go check all their stations im the system maps though. But I guess once you visit them they'll be populated in galaxy map.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The only thing in this game that is enjoyable to me is literally being the first human to land on some planet. Exploration is the only thing I do and the only reason I still play the game.

Money and more ships is for suckers. I'm the explohobo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

John F Bennett posted:

The only thing in this game that is enjoyable to me is literally being the first human to land on some planet. Exploration is the only thing I do and the only reason I still play the game.

Money and more ships is for suckers. I'm the explohobo.

It'd be cool if there was anything to be gained from landing on unexplored planets, though.

This is my major peeve with Elite Dangerous - the things that are most exciting about the game are almost completely divorced from the things that give you progress, and there's no good reason why this should be the case.

Like an engineer unlock could be something cool like, "Fly this race-course in a fighter" or "Defeat this pirate king" or "Explore this Thargoid ruin" or "Smuggle this bomb past a ton of cops in an asteroid belt" but instead it's boring garbage like "Shuttle fifty tons of a commodity from A to B, and we'll only give you six tons at a time".

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

On the bright side, you can still try to search for them in the individual system maps. If it's a system you have data for, you can view the available facilities in a station there, and it lists material traders there too. A lot of the bigger population systems have their data already in your maps anyway.

It takes a little longer to look for the right economy/size systems and go check all their stations im the system maps though. But I guess once you visit them they'll be populated in galaxy map.

Or you just go to Inara and look it up. :shrug:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Oh great now I HAVE to grind to make my monthly payment for my internet spaceship.

Or maybe you just pay monthly for it until you don't want it anymore. Then you return it and try another ship?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Gort posted:

Presumably you needed to use a hatch-breaker limpet on the guy.

Reducing a cargo hatch to 0 will cause all of the cargo to eventually be pooped out so he just didn't have the cargo...

But again, when you scan a nav beacon for further mission data, if you are stacking missions, is there really no way to tell which piece of extra "intel" corresponds to which mission?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Or you just go to Inara and look it up. :shrug:

okay yes that is faster and better

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Knifegrab posted:

But again, when you scan a nav beacon for further mission data, if you are stacking missions, is there really no way to tell which piece of extra "intel" corresponds to which mission?

The missions get updated in the Transactions tab with target bodies when you receive the notification after scanning the nav beacon, just like time bonuses for deliveries.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mike the TV posted:

I got you. I was following along with the silly real world parallels.

Sorry if I came off as hostile, Tippis.

Nah, you got the same “don't use a realism argument unless you think it through” eye twitch I did on reading the original nonsensical claim — it's all good. :D

The passenger missions, while slightly improved, are still pretty loving stupid in that regard, and people still use the same idiotic realism argument to defend the client being able to make the most outrageous demands without the pilot having any say, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of how it would ever sensibly work.

There's a reason why passengers are not allowed to dictate anything more complicated than the tying of their shoelaces without jumping through many an annoying procedure first. Just the fact that E:D passenger missions pay on delivery rather than on acceptance is such a retarded move that it beggars belief, and the design of things doesn't particularly improve from there on.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 6, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

the milk machine posted:

The missions get updated in the Transactions tab with target bodies when you receive the notification after scanning the nav beacon, just like time bonuses for deliveries.

Weird when I got a time bonus thing, in the transaction tab all it said was "(optional) Complete within time limit to receive a bonus" but couldn't find anywhere what the actual time limit was.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Two words:

Forum Dads.

I was gonna say four words:

Sandro Doesn't Play Elite.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of weird, when I logged into my disposable sidewinder in 31 Beta Leonis Minoris, I wanted to go pick up my real ship on Seddon Reach planetary station. Guess what? It didn't exist on my map any more, despite the fact I'd fully disco scanned the system when I came in on Sunday. I had to fly the Sidewinder back to the Nav Beacon to scan it so I could discover the planet my ship was landed on. Yeah never discovered that place!

I was sort of worried I had an Alderan situation on my hands.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
its weird that inhabited systems need to be disco scanned at all.

does anyone know what determines whether a system needs a scan? i feel like i have scanned the same systems more than once.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Speaking of weird, when I logged into my disposable sidewinder in 31 Beta Leonis Minoris, I wanted to go pick up my real ship on Seddon Reach planetary station. Guess what? It didn't exist on my map any more, despite the fact I'd fully disco scanned the system when I came in on Sunday. I had to fly the Sidewinder back to the Nav Beacon to scan it so I could discover the planet my ship was landed on. Yeah never discovered that place!

Same thing happened to me. Happened immediately after their hotfix to ban skimmer kill missions.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

Same thing happened to me. Happened immediately after their hotfix to ban skimmer kill missions.

same here. I just targeted my ship in the system map , since it was still showing, the aimed at that target, then my basic scanner gave me where to land.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

Same thing happened to me. I just assumed that the honk data was stored in my DBX on the planet and my spanking new eagle knew nothing about the world around it. I self destructed a couple of times around the vodka station and for some reason I respawn on Seddon Reach. Got back in my old ship and everything was back to normal.

Except, you know, my wallet. With around 120mil I'm stuck trying to decide what to buy. I want to try one of the crazy sightseeing missions, so I'm thinking about fitting out an AspX with passenger cabins and go space crazy on someone else's dime

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh man, the Type 9 buff they put in for 3.0 is niiiiice.

Also the Chieftan is like... one small slot away from being the perfect bubble runner. I mean I'm still using it but I'm missing a collector limpet :cripes:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
When you die, you lose all explo data that you had yet to sell. So when you suicided to return to base, that's why you lost the planetary data that you previously had.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Krycek posted:

When you die, you lose all explo data that you had yet to sell. So when you suicided to return to base, that's why you lost the planetary data that you previously had.

I had already sold mine for that exact reason. Plus that doesn't explain why I had all the explo data after a dozen suicide runs.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Oh man, the Type 9 buff they put in for 3.0 is niiiiice.

Also the Chieftan is like... one small slot away from being the perfect bubble runner. I mean I'm still using it but I'm missing a collector limpet :cripes:

Shield, Cargo, SRV, Fuel Scoop, Collector Limpet? What do you need that extra small slot for?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Eldragon posted:

Shield, Cargo, SRV, Fuel Scoop, Collector Limpet? What do you need that extra small slot for?

sc-scanner...

yes i know i could just scan nav bacons but i'm lazy god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

sc-scanner...

yes i know i could just scan nav bacons but i'm lazy god damnit

I'm even lazier, I buy the map data for my destination before I leave the station.

• Locked thread