Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FCKGW posted:

It wouldn't be a California thread without the entirely one-sided "NorCal/SoCal" beef.

You mean NoCal

But it does seem like the North hates us a lot more than we care about them, then gets hilariously mad when they get clapped back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I lived in SoCal for the better part of 10 years and didn't even know the North/South rivalry existed in any real sense until I moved to San Jose for university and everybody up here kept spewing poo poo. If only that hatred of SoCal extended to not fetishizing Disney Land to such an obnoxious degree, but alas.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm in San Luis Obispo. :) Hello friends. :) :) What's everybody talking about? :) :) :)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The state is using eminent domain along the 99 route (smaller landowners/farmers) but still have about 600 out of the 1711 deals to work out on a case by case basis.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/high-speed-rail/article19667451.html

http://www.kcra.com/article/6-things-to-know-about-the-high-speed-rail-project/9962571

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm going to disagree. The 5 narrows to 3 lanes at points where any other freeway would be 5 lanes. There is no way that adding 2 lanes wouldn't help matters. Especially when it is 5 lanes on either side of that.

All highways should be narrowed to 1 lane that abruptly ends at a ditch :)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

I just wish bay area drivers would use their goddamn turn signals.

I sometimes feel like the only purpose using a turn signal on a freeway in LA serves is to delay merging while everyone speeds up to pass you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

I just wish bay area drivers would use their goddamn turn signals.

They don't use em in SoCal either.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They don't use em in SoCal either.

Yeah they do. They use them to let people behind them know that once the light finally turns red and the oncoming traffic stops coming they will making an illegal left hand turn on the red.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah they do. They use them to let people behind them know that once the light finally turns red and the oncoming traffic stops coming they will making an illegal left hand turn on the red.

just as god intended

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Sydin posted:

I lived in SoCal for the better part of 10 years and didn't even know the North/South rivalry existed in any real sense until I moved to San Jose for university and everybody up here kept spewing poo poo. If only that hatred of SoCal extended to not fetishizing Disney Land to such an obnoxious degree, but alas.

Same here. I didn't know there was any bitterness or rivalry until I moved up to the Bay Area from the SGV.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's amazing that this is such a well developed unwritten rule only in LA - exactly two cars will make left turns after it's red and everybody knows it and it just seems to work.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's amazing that this is such a well developed unwritten rule only in LA - exactly two cars will make left turns after it's red and everybody knows it and it just seems to work.

I had no idea that wasn't universal.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I had no idea that wasn't universal.
In Portland and Seattle you can sit through multiple lights with no one able to turn left because driving "aggressively" is a sin.

The biggest thing I miss about SoCal is driving in the middle of people that knew how to drive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FRINGE posted:

In Portland and Seattle you can sit through multiple lights with no one able to turn left because driving "aggressively" is a sin.

The biggest thing I miss about SoCal is driving in the middle of people that knew how to drive.

What are you talking about? People in SoCal do NOT know how to drive. You do NOT drive at 70 MPH in clusters on the freeway. This isn't NASCAR. That is dangerous as gently caress. Yet you see it constantly.

People who grow up driving in real cities tend to actually know how to drive. People who grow up in huge overgrown suburbs like LA do not.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

People in SoCal can’t drive but at least the do it quickly so you can actually get where the gently caress you want to go.

Everywhere else does the same thing SoCal does but they do it at 45mph instead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also every place says their own drivers can’t drive. There has never been a single person in the history of mankind that has said “yeah, the drivers around here are courteous and attentive”.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FCKGW posted:

Also every place says their own drivers can’t drive. There has never been a single person in the history of mankind that has said “yeah, the drivers around here are courteous and attentive”.

San Francisco drivers used to be really good. That was when most of them grew up here. Now most of them are from areas where people don't actually know how to drive. I suppose this is because if you grow up in a suburb you don't have to deal with the intricacies of right of way, stop signs, pedestrians and bikes.

Also, San Franciscans know how to park. Because you have to learn. And they know how to stop on hills and then start again. These are skills you just don't often see from people who come from SoCal.

When I drove in New York I found it to be a lot like San Francisco. Just more aggressive. Which suited me fine because I was always a more aggressive driver in SF. However, when I lived in SoCal I toned that way back because I feared for my life constantly while driving around. I get that it is due to people living in their cars and getting stressed out but it's scary, nonetheless.

And now I am seeing this behavior more and more in the Bay Area. The traffic is getting worse and worse and drivers are more and more stressed. It sucks.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

If you don't think expanding the 5 by a lane or two running through the metro area would help, I dunno what to tell you.

Same with the 101.

Alternately, just blow the whole place up. It's not like it contributes anything of value any more.

not sure if i trust these chumps after they added an exit on the 101 at ventura blvd which actually just created a turbo bottleneck that hard fucks everyone trying to get over the hill for all vaguely congested hours

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

It wouldn't be a California thread without the entirely one-sided "NorCal/SoCal" beef.

nobody in socal knows about this beef

Tuxedo Gin posted:

going to slightly disagree. i was raised in la (hollywood, gridlocked all days, all years) and my thoughts on cars per light are thus:

1) a real pro at the vanguard of the left turn will creep out enough to allow for 3 (three!) cars to get through. that means creeping 65% through and cockblocking the cars in the mirror left turn lane. the lead car gets through on deep yellow / early red, the second on the early-mid red, and the last car on late red/early green.

2) jobbers get 2 cars by creeping 1 car length. themselves and another. standard tier.

3) horribly noob fuckers are so fail that they do not creep, and are so timid and weak that they only get themselves through, and they only make the turn during late red / early green. pathetic.

i dont claim to be a good driver, my insurance will attest to that, but i promise you if we're driving together i will get 3 cars through the left. i will creep so far i will be nearly in opposing traffic when the time to execute comes.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

FCKGW posted:

one-sided "NorCal/SoCal" beef.

Smythe posted:

nobody in socal knows about this beef

Getting hungry now.

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 6, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is because nobody coming the other way will stop when the light turns yellow, so you either go when it turns red or you don't go at all and just get stuck in the middle of the intersection.

FCKGW posted:

Lol you underestimate the arrogance of San Franciscans

Waltzing Along posted:

When I drove in New York I found it to be a lot like San Francisco. Just more aggressive. Which suited me fine because I was always a more aggressive driver in SF. However, when I lived in SoCal I toned that way back because I feared for my life constantly while driving around. I get that it is due to people living in their cars and getting stressed out but it's scary, nonetheless.

And now I am seeing this behavior more and more in the Bay Area. The traffic is getting worse and worse and drivers are more and more stressed. It sucks.

This has nothing to do with stress. We are all used to doing 75 in tight clumps, nobody even thinks twice about it. It's just that nobody in SoCal values their life

That or they just assume that the fresh accident on the 405 north every day is something that happens to other people.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 6, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Waltzing Along posted:

What are you talking about? People in SoCal do NOT know how to drive. You do NOT drive at 70 MPH in clusters on the freeway. This isn't NASCAR. That is dangerous as gently caress. Yet you see it constantly.

People who grow up driving in real cities tend to actually know how to drive. People who grow up in huge overgrown suburbs like LA do not.

Yes you see people moving quickly constantly, as though the reason they are in a car is to get somewhere.

Pretty shocking if youre from somewhere where people use their cars for something else.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The denser parts of San Francisco should have a $200 per-day congestion charge for driving in. That'd solve traffic real quick.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ah, nothing like punishing the poor for trying to get around while the rich happily pay to drive their Ferraris on empty streets.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Well the racist keebler elf is officially suing California over SB-54, which prevents state and local law enforcement orgs from sharing data with ICE. ICE by the way, is only supposed to detain people who are "likely to escape."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-california-immigration-20180306-story.html

But for the sake of argument, lets look at the history of lawsuits regarding state cooperation of federal immigration laws.

Arizona v. United States, Enforcement of immigration laws is the sole responsibility of the Federal Government

Galarza v. Szalczyk, States and Localities are not required to hold people in jail because ICE asked them. ICE Detainers are voluntary requests. (3rd circuit in Pennsylvania)

Morales v. Chadbourne, ICE detainers are a form of seizure under the 4th amendment and require probably cause. (First Circuit in Rhode Island)

Vohra v. United States, ICE detainers are warrantless arrests (Federal District Court in Santa Ana)

Miranda-Olivares v. Clackamas Co., I already effort posted about this here.

Jimenez-Moreno v. Napolitano, Detainers actually do have to have some proof that somebody is "likely to escape" and ICE can't issue them willy nilly.

Orellana v. Nobles County, Denying somebody the opportunity to post bail because of an ICE detainer is a warrantless arrest

Lunn v. Commonwealth, Cooperating with ICE detainers is a violation of the 4th amendment. (but in Massachusetts)

Buquer v. Indianapolis, Indianapolis tried to pass their own law that would let Indianapolis cops arrest based on assumed immigration status, similar to Arizona's struck down SB 1070 law. It got blocked in court before it could be enforced.

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III is having a hissy fit because he can't draft California cops into doing his job for him.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III is having a hissy fit because he can't draft California cops into doing his job for him.

Makes me wonder how sympathetic his audience of the California Peach Officers Association will be. One one hand, they're Californians, so they're way likelier to tell Sessions to stuff it, but on the other hand, they're cops and ACAB.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Delaine Eastin did a KQED interview this morning and seems to check all of the progressive boxes and be genuine believer if a little dull. Universal healthcare, free college tuition, repeal prop 13 for corporations etc. Also she got an antivaxxer calling in and said she would probably support some mandatory vaccinations.

Wondering if the thread has any dirt on her

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My ex was from Boston and moved to SoCal in her early 20s. Her brother came to visit and rented a car to drive from LAX to Long Beach. He immediately got in an accident on the freeway because he wasn't aware traffic on our freeways goes from 80mph to 0mph pretty quick.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Delaine Eastin did a KQED interview this morning and seems to check all of the progressive boxes and be genuine believer if a little dull. Universal healthcare, free college tuition, repeal prop 13 for corporations etc. Also she got an antivaxxer calling in and said she would probably support some mandatory vaccinations.

Wondering if the thread has any dirt on her
She's the dark horse by far (but she says some good things) so there's little motivation to dig through her extended policy/history.

At least by interviews and what she says, in a just world she'd be tearing through Tony Villar to push Newsom more leftwards, but alas.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Also she got an antivaxxer calling in and said she would probably support some mandatory vaccinations.

I really believe that public schools in our country should require vaccinations. You show up with your kid. Show proof or they get vaxxed on the spot.

Also, flu shots to every student every year. Don't make it a choice. Make it a way of life.

And finally, masks when people are sick. You have a cold? Teacher gives you a mask. Not a choice. A way of life. If you get kids doing these things from an early age it isn't a big deal. It's going to be hard to get a bunch of 40 year old men to actually do this stuff, though. And don't get me started on all the idiots who don't get flu shots.

After spending time in Asia it becomes apparent very quickly how little regard people have for preventing spread of disease here.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You’re one of those “authoritarian left” people I’ve been hearing about from the compass memes, aren’t you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I really believe that public schools in our country should require vaccinations. You show up with your kid. Show proof or they get vaxxed on the spot.

CA does require kids to be vaccinated. They even removed the "personal belief" exemption in 2016 and require and actual doctor to sign off if they medically cant get vaxxed.

Home schooling continues to be popular because of this.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
There's a standoff going on in Long Beach right now, gunman in a van threatened to blow up the federal building downtown. (He parked in front of city hall though)

https://www.presstelegram.com/2018/03/07/man-with-gun-near-long-beach-city-hall-in-standoff-with-police-authorities-say/

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FCKGW posted:

CA does require kids to be vaccinated. They even removed the "personal belief" exemption in 2016 and require and actual doctor to sign off if they medically cant get vaxxed.

Home schooling continues to be popular because of this.

It's unfortunately very easy to find a doctor to sign off on it. My anti-vaxxer sister had no trouble finding someone to sign off on her feral child.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Exactly what an uptight, pretentious Bay Area native would say

lol i walked right into that one

also suck it u nerd

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ah, nothing like punishing the poor for trying to get around while the rich happily pay to drive their Ferraris on empty streets.

yeah, congestion pricing sucks

the people who propose it should find way to reduce pollution and gridlock that doesn't disproportionately affect the poor. It's especially hosed up when you have poor neighborhoods in the downtown area that the congestion pricing would affect, and even more so when those happen to be some of the last poor neighborhoods left in the city (like the tenderloin/6th street and Chinatown, in SF).

Pigasus posted:

Same here. I didn't know there was any bitterness or rivalry until I moved up to the Bay Area from the SGV.

Even in Nor Cal, aside from sports rivalries, gang rivalries, and dumb snooty people (half of which are from like, Connecticut, and moved here in the past 5 years)/weird old hippies who look down their noses at the supposedly fake and ultra polluted LA, i don't think most people really have a problem with so cal. And I think its those snooty motherfuckers who mostly have the generalized LA hate, rather than a specific rivalry. The kind of person who thinks SF is an ultra superior "proper city" or whatever. But i don't think i've ever met someone who hates so cal entirely lol. I base that on growing up in SF, and living in Oakland, but maybe I just haven't met the right people.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 8, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
LA is, and forever will be garbage until they accept that hella is entirely proper

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raskolnikov38 posted:

LA is, and forever will be garbage until they accept that hella is entirely proper

Delegate from L.A. here, will accept Hella / Hecka in its entirety in exchange for a permanent recognition that the proper way to address freeways is by prefixing 'The' to them.

I.e. "Take the 5 to the 170/101 interchange"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Delegate from L.A. here, will accept Hella / Hecka in its entirety in exchange for a permanent recognition that the proper way to address freeways is by prefixing 'The' to them.

I.e. "Take the 5 to the 170/101 interchange"

hella unacceptable :smug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This has nothing to do with stress. We are all used to doing 75 in tight clumps, nobody even thinks twice about it. It's just that nobody in SoCal values their life

That or they just assume that the fresh accident on the 405 north every day is something that happens to other people.

"The" accident?

I think there are perpetually 3 accidents between Orange County and San Diego County at all times whenever there's even mild traffic. As soon as one gets cleaned up, someone else crashes. It's like loving clockwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

"The" accident?

Yeah, in NorCal we just say "accident"!