Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blaze Dragon posted:

Aw man, I've been really enjoying this thread. I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm glad it happened and I'm thankful for the efforts of everyone involved.

It's definitely been fun but it has definitely been winding down for a while now. Seems like it makes sense to give it a proper send off once I'm done with Keysanity.

That said, if anyone else wants to start up something else I won't close it! The closure idea is just a result of the relative activity in here before Keysanity started up. I love seeing romhacks though and there are a ton out there still worth showing off. I just can't play them all myself!

I'm considering opening up a Zelda 3 Randomizer thread because it seems like there's interest beyond just this one thread but it probably be a thread more suited to Games instead of Let's Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The Speedrunning thread has been the de facto place for Rando discussion but that has kinda died down lately

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

According to a random person on the internet, Golden Sun doesn't have enough words. Please bear in mind that its script is longer than Metal Gear Solid 2's script. Random Person On The Internet is insane.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kinda funny that the Armos Knights ended up giving you a heart container and the green pendant anyway.

To get behind the locked door blocked by pits in Skull Woods "legitimately" you have to fall into the room northeast of there and hit a star panel. As someone said there's absolutely nothing of interest behind it anyway. I didn't realize this during my rando run and used a dash jump to get across the pits instead.

Also I think the big key opens the cell locks in Thieves' Town. That's what it does in the castle dungeon at least.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Chalk me up to a kid who didn't finish Thieves' Town for the longest time because I thought you needed a small key for every cell door.

Also, I recently started Golden Sun again because I wanted something for the GBA emulator on my phone and there's surprisingly few other RPGs on there (might be a huge reason for the game's undeserved success, eh) and I do have some amount of nostalgia for it. After the first dungeon, my skipping through dialogue finger already hurt. But what's even more damning is that it is an RPG from the 2000s that doesn't have automatic retargeting if you kill an enemy. It must have been deliberate because the character who'd have to retarget guards instead, so it is really an insanely dumb active decision made so the game plays like it's loving Final Fantasy 1 in random encounters. How did I not remember this (answer: I didn't actually have much comparison, and that's the second reason why so many people bought and legitimately enjoyed Golden Sun back then).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't think Beyond the Beyond had automatic retargeting either, and Golden Sun is basically a more refined version of that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Rollersnake posted:

I don't think Beyond the Beyond had automatic retargeting either, and Golden Sun is basically a more refined version of that.

To be fair, it would be hard to not be more refined than Beyond the Beyond

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The only RPGs you need on GBA are Battle Network, anyway.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I like Golden Sun (because I played it at a formative point in my life and have a lot of nostalgia for it), but every criticism I've heard about it is 100% correct.

I wouldn't say it's a good game, but it's one I'm quite fond of.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

biosterous posted:

I like Golden Sun (because I played it at a formative point in my life and have a lot of nostalgia for it), but every criticism I've heard about it is 100% correct.

Same.

Nowadays if I ever want to scratch the Golden Sun itch I just fire up Lufia II instead.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Oddly I don't remember Golden Sun being very wordy. What sticks out in my memory as most annoying are all the emote reacts.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

GunnerJ posted:

Oddly I don't remember Golden Sun being very wordy. What sticks out in my memory as most annoying are all the emote reacts.

Well roughly 800,000,000 of those words are "Psynergy" and wasted on plotlines that never get resolved so you'd be forgiven for not remembering

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also Kraden is a huge percentage of that. Both his name and his endless spewtem of words out of his face.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess Canadian politics don't live up to the stereotype of having the most boring thing happen.

I remember a lot of hype for Golden Sun when it came out. Was that solely because it was a functional RPG that you could play on Game Boy, or were there gameplay elements that were good at the time but aged poorly?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Pretty sure it's because it was visually fairly nice for the time and because, yeah, it was an RPG on the GBA.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah the graphics were wild for a handheld game of that era.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If you think about it, a hot take is a kind of idiotic delusion. I prefer the term "bad opinion."

Speaking of bad opinions, I possibly have one about Ready Player One: it strikes me as no better or worse than other forms of blatantly pandering pop culture. It's still bad, of course.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why does RPO talk keep sneaking into seemingly every thread I have bookmarked

Golden Sun was hyped up a lot because it was a handheld RPG with insanely good visuals. The sheer spectacle of those summon attacks an all those particle effects is still kinda impressive even if they look like a pixelated mess by today's standards. The dramatic camera pans are dynamic and look great, and they manage to do some pretty amazing stuff using just sprites and Mode 7

It's also about as superficial an RPG as you can find. Every single aspect of the game is designed to mask a core that is completely devoid of any sort of substance. The combat is braindead monotony that is disguised by the pretty visuals. The easy battles are disguised by making them really long. The fact that the story goes nowhere is disguised by making the conversations really wordy so it feels like a lot of nuance to digest when it's actually paragraphs upon paragraphs of cyclical exposition. The character designs use visual coding that suggests a certain distinct personality to hide the fact that the writing doesn't even bother to give the characters the most basic of stereotypes, they're just cardboard. The bland environments are masked by the legitimately awesome soundtrack.

It's an absolutely terrible RPG that managed to succeed by leaning on its incredibly polished and appealing aesthetic design. The kind of game that's really easy to love when you're a kid but is absolutely painful to sit through years later.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 5, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright we raced Keysanity today on Faerie Fortune's Twitch channel for fun and for those of you that thought the seed I gave earlier was a bastard, you've got to play this one:

code:
    "meta": {
        "difficulty": "normal",
        "variation": "key-sanity",
        "logic": "no-glitches-28",
        "seed": 56817365,
        "goal": "ganon",
        "build": "2018-01-06",
        "mode": "open"
Good luck, don't get discouraged, and be smart about how you use your keys in certain key heavy dungeons. I beat it in 4:15:00 or so.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I loved the Golden Sun games when they came out, but Augus really hits the nail on the head.

Which is probably why the too-little-too-late sequel they released on the DS, Dark Dawn, felt really bland. It also didn't help that Motoi Sakuraba's musical style had changed over the years and trying to recapture the old games' music didn't gel very well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

why does RPO talk keep sneaking into seemingly every thread I have bookmarked

I suspect a lot of that is my fault and it's direct bleedover from The Screaming Hell Thread in RDG. RP1 is just fun to dunk on because it's an easy joke and so many people just know that "oh this is apparently bad." I'm not doing it intentionally, I swear. If it was 10 years ago I'd be making Eragon/Christopher Paolini jokes in the place of RP1/Ernest Cline ones.

Straight up though, I keep plugging 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back purely because it's just so drat funny irrespective of Cline's book.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One of my favorite things Quovak did when he LP'd Golden Sun was switching all the character portraits with random nonsense during one prolonged scene of dialogue, just to show how little difference it made. There was also at least one point where two characters just suddenly swapped what little tiny shreds of characterization they had with each other. That's not part of the LP, that's in the game. The writing is just that bad. There's so much dialogue in those two games and none of it amounts to anything.

FPzero posted:

Good luck, don't get discouraged, and be smart about how you use your keys in certain key heavy dungeons. I beat it in 4:15:00 or so.

Man I still don't know these dungeons well enough to make good decisions about how I use my small keys. I'm so bad at remembering what doors would be a waste to go through and it forces me to back out of dungeons even more than necessary.

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 5, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geemer posted:

Which is probably why the too-little-too-late sequel they released on the DS, Dark Dawn, felt really bland. It also didn't help that Motoi Sakuraba's musical style had changed over the years and trying to recapture the old games' music didn't gel very well.

Dark Dawn was a game that would have absolutely kicked rear end if it was released on the PlayStation 15 years prior.

The game was released in 2010 and still played like an early generation 32-bit jRPG.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Dark Dawn was a game that would have absolutely kicked rear end if it was released on the PlayStation 15 years prior.

The game was released in 2010 and still played like an early generation 32-bit jRPG.

Also probably suffered from people who knew the score and was buying half a game for the price of a whole one.

I didn't know, or was at least blind to the idea for some inexplicable reason.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

FPzero posted:

Alright we raced Keysanity today on Faerie Fortune's Twitch channel for fun and for those of you that thought the seed I gave earlier was a bastard, you've got to play this one:

If you're curious as to how evil this seed actually is, I put the video up on my channel if you have four hours with nothing to do!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't say I've sat and watched every race you guys do, but based off the ones I have seen I assume one day you guys are all gonna chip in and get FPZero a plaque that just says "Best at Videogames", right?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 5, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nah it's gonna say "A Big Fuckin' Nerd". :v:

Crow tells us the story of his Russian Pringles knockoffs as I stumble my way through Swamp Palace and Tower of Hera.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can't say I've sat and watched every race you guys do, but based off the ones I have seen I assume one day you guys are all gonna chip in and get FPZero a plaque that just says "Best at Videogames", right?

Hey I won a race... that FP wasn't in... and I won by default... So I'd better get one that says "Best* at Videogames"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

get FPZero a plaque that just says "Best at Videogames", right?

Come on, really? The guy that didn't know you could hookshot mini moldorms? :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FeyerbrandX posted:

Hey I won a race... that FP wasn't in... and I won by default... So I'd better get one that says "Best* at Videogames"

Don’t remind me. I’m still salty about that one. :argh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I beat that Keysanity pedastal run posted

First LTTP Randomizer I've done, took longer then most because I don't have LTTP memorized. Still, doing this was interesting because it basically changed the game to an open world Metroidvania esque game.

Still there were some spectacular moments of insanity, such as how I basically had to multiple dungeons to get at a single pendant.

(Item location spoiler) Also, getting the Tempered Sword mere moments before beating Blind and clearing the game was hilarious.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 6, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

nine-gear crow and Tyty join us for the final recording session of Keysanity. I impose a drinking game upon myself and then dive into the Ice Palace.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I never beat LttP because of this stupid as gently caress ice palace final puzzle and not knowing that you're supposed to go to the next dungeon where you get the item that lets you beat the previous one.
I never went back to the game after, which is a shame on one hand. But on the other, maybe I should just do a keysanity run without knowing the game by heart and still end up with a less frustrating experience than doing the ice palace final puzzle legit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You can do it without the Cane of Somaria but it's pretty annoying and kind of obtuse. It's been a while since I've done it "the right way" but it involves pushing a block down a hole, which is something I don't think you'd even know you can do at this point in the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well you're not supposed to do that; you're supposed to push a block down the hole from the room above. In fact, the GBA version even changed the puzzle slightly so you can no longer skip it with the Cane of Somaria.

^ e: yeah that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

In fact, the GBA version even changed the puzzle slightly so you can no longer skip it with the Cane of Somaria.

How does that work? You have to push two blocks down the hole to press two different buttons?

And yeah, as a kid I never solved this "correctly". I'd go into Ice Palace for the blue mail, because Misery Mire is such a hole, then go to Mire, then come back to Ice Palace for the crystal.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This video shows the change pretty nicely: https://youtu.be/6lLv3VTB7qA?t=2187

Also, I think there's a way into the Dark World without gloves, just beat Agahnim. That should also enable the warp in the Castle Hyrule gate.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This video shows the change pretty nicely: https://youtu.be/6lLv3VTB7qA?t=2187

Also, I think there's a way into the Dark World without gloves, just beat Agahnim. That should also enable the warp in the Castle Hyrule gate.

There's several places you can get in with hammer or hammer and level 1 gloves.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That works, however Keysanity almost always makes it so you need to do at least one Dark World dungeon to kill Agahnim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

C-Euro posted:

You can do it without the Cane of Somaria but it's pretty annoying and kind of obtuse. It's been a while since I've done it "the right way" but it involves pushing a block down a hole, which is something I don't think you'd even know you can do at this point in the game.

Well you're not supposed to do that; you're supposed to push a block down the hole from the room above. In fact, the GBA version even changed the puzzle slightly so you can no longer skip it with the Cane of Somaria.

^ e: yeah that

I know. I was using that "supposed" in the least literal sense. Regardless, it's a really badly designed puzzle and whoever thought it up should feel bad to this day.

• Locked thread