Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zephro posted:

I can't believe they blew up all this stuff in favour of Duardin Flamesworn Fyreslayers etc

GW literally allowed the legal department to write their lore and its hilarious and also sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Huntsman's active ability makes Kruber reload super fast and makes every projectile he fires a crit. Crits pierce armor, and for some reason each pellet the Blunderbuss counts not only as a crit but also hit as hard as a Handgun shot. Considering that the Blunderbuss fires a lot of pellets and that Kruber also does not suffer from ranged damage distance falloff, this turns his Blunderbuss into a fast-firing spreadshot of extremely powerful bullets, which mulches bosses and everything.

Willie Tomg posted:

Bounty Hunter gets a guaranteed crit on his next ranged attack every 8 seconds, or melee kill. His active is a single shot that does One Trillion Damage and can possibly crit as well, and the secondary fire on the repeater pistol counts as a single shot for the purposes of crit calcuation. So you have your crit off cooldown, drink a strength potion, F a boss and they go away, and if that doesn't work for some reason you kill one (1) thing and blast them with 8 crit repeater pistol shots which do not use ammo past level 15.
Note that both of these feature the following: damage boosting through abilities, a crit, and a shotgun. The strength potion is an optional bonus and is probably also multiplicative. Fixing that interaction is probably a better call than giving bosses some kind of damage-received limitation or invulnerability phases or whatever else.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Does this crit apply to the rapier pistol? Is rapier BH a good build?
It was in beta, yes. I haven't actually tested the pistol in the range yet, but I think it kept its significant damage falloff even as a bounty hunter which works as a balancing tool. Its mostly useful as a strong attack from just out of attack distance, or for an attack immediately following a push when you don't want to move forward for whatever reason.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Willie Tomg posted:

i played one (1) game of WW and that regen is absolutely disgusting and i'm not surprised that everyone who is bad at this game gravitates to the character who's passive is an even better version of one of the best orange trinket traits. i feel it appropriate that one of the two green chests i got dropped a natural bond trinket when my wizard opened it. i hereby retire from elf at level 3, undefeated.

like, that's why the elf always runs off alone. because they totally can until one special or other locks them down, because Vermintide is the Special Enemy Handling Game, which the elf doesn't know if all they've played is elf, because they don't have to meaningfully play vermintide until they have to look at their health bars ever.
How does the regen interact with white health, out of interest? Does it just slow the rate at which health runs out?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Willie Tomg posted:

The swift bow is a trap option. If you're spending ammo to kill commons you're literally playing the game wrong even if you have regenerating health and regenerating ammo. Commons don't kill the party, specials, bosses, berserkers and shielded/armored guys kill the party. Hagbane is excellent at softening up the problem targets even if it lacks the visceral thrill of plinking skavenslaves one by one.

I meant it more in the sense that you can absolutely feather specials if you are close but you're basically useless at range. I do need to give Hagbane more of a chance once I get more ammo regen options.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zephro posted:

How does the regen interact with white health, out of interest? Does it just slow the rate at which health runs out?

It regens permanent HP beneath the white health which decays normally.

So now you ask "wait, does that mean as long as I don't get knocked down twice in 15 seconds on Champion, I never ever die for any reason because I picked Elf Waywatcher: The Anime Protagonist"?

yes. it means exactly that. a disgusting, degenerate hero for people who don't actually want to play Vermintide.

DeathSandwich posted:

If they don't change their look at least give them a distinctive audio queue like the Plague Monks. They need to be screaming the entire time like Serious Sam Kamakazes

holy smokes this idea/aesthetic is so simply brilliant its blinding. Do this, do this do this do this fatshark pls.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 6, 2018

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DeathSandwich posted:

They need to be screaming the entire time like Serious Sam Kamakazes in a pitch or cadence that is discernible from the rest of the huddled mass of Eagles fans that want to titty twist you.

Yep, very much this.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

toasterwarrior posted:

Huntsman's active ability makes Kruber reload super fast and makes every projectile he fires a crit. Crits pierce armor, and for some reason each pellet the Blunderbuss counts not only as a crit but also hit as hard as a Handgun shot. Considering that the Blunderbuss fires a lot of pellets and that Kruber also does not suffer from ranged damage distance falloff, this turns his Blunderbuss into a fast-firing spreadshot of extremely powerful bullets, which mulches bosses and everything.

Kruber in general definitely needs some tuning. Huntsman is so obnoxiously good and Knight is complete rubbish with mercenary being somewhere in the middle. I kind of think that the Non-Huntsman Krubers would work better if Mercenary had the charge and Knight had the temp health shout to better play up both's advantages (the former being getting in there and cleaving the poo poo out of everyone and tilting him way more melee offensively, the latter being an immovable brick shithouse)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If they changed nothing else to make you less reliant on having a boss stomper setup around, they should remove the ability to have 2 bosses spawned by RNG in one level. hell, vermintide 1 never even did that except for the bugged roger on wheat and chaff and on supply on demand's finale which they fixed.

If you have a shotgun lumberjack then it's just another speedbump, but if you don't have anything like that and the second fight ends up taking two and a half minutes because you have to do it the slow way and deal with all the spawns during the fight, you will be seriously hurting by the time it's over

e: Release is only 2 days away, that was fast

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I will never get tired of Indiana Jonesing berserkers: "For the dark gods, aaaaaaAAAAAA-" * blam*

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the strategy of basically removing all of the downsides of the ranged weapons was a bad one. There's no reason to remove ranged fall-off for various weapons because that just changes the weapon balance for no real gain. If a blunderbuss or repeater pistol is supposed to be balanced by ranged fall-off, why is that suddenly not a factor for BountyHuntsman? Why would I ever bring a handgun or "sniper" weapon when I can just use a close-range weapon at long-range because I magically don't have any damage fall-off?

gently caress, create a "sidearm" category of weapons that are basically single knives/swords, make them noticeably worse in combat, and have them give extra ammo when equipped. If you want to be able to fire forever, great, you're going to suffer in melee. As-is, you don't lose much for basically having all of the limitations of ranged combat removed, and you get buffs to general combat as well. Huntsman Kruber can still show up with a halberd or executioner's sword mulching fools almost as well as a Merc, but can blast folks too.

Digirat posted:

If they changed nothing else to make you less reliant on having a boss stomper setup around, they should remove the ability to have 2 bosses spawned by RNG in one level. hell, vermintide 1 never even did that except for the bugged roger on wheat and chaff and on supply on demand's finale which they fixed.
Yeah, that would help.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Willie Tomg posted:

Berserkers are good in theory but:

--barely discernable audio cue signifiying their presence/charge
--rubberbanding out of proportion to the animation on their steps in addition to a massive reach out of proportion to their weapon
--unstunnable, infinitely spammable uninterruptable 5 hit combo that finishes with a guard breaker...
--...that also 100-0's you on every difficulty

of those 4 things, at least two need to go. At least.

I'm all for making them stand out more, appearance-and-sound-wise. I will argue, though, that messing with the uninterruptible combo would kinda defeat the purpose of their threat: a series of high-damage attacks that force the defending player to reposition or risk having their guard broken for all the other enemies to take advantage of.

For those having trouble with them (beyond getting blindsided), once they're committed to attacking other players are free to wail on their flank at no risk, and if you're alone, with enough space you can backpedal out of their range as long as they didn't begin their combo right up in your face (but the last swing has a deceptively-long reach). Circling around them can work, too, but it's not as reliable when they're spearheading a horde.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
re: hagbane - i am the one who complained about it hardest and yes they totally did nerf it into oblivion when open beta started. the poison can still TECHNICALLY kill just about anything, but it takes so long to do so that the point is academic. waystalkers are much better served by the longbow now. honestly, i feel like the nerf was a huge overreaction.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Were gatling gunners always this bad at finding shooting postions? They put more shot into walls than they do into heroes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Were gatling gunners always this bad at finding shooting postions? They put more shot into walls than they do into heroes.
They target one hero and don't really re-target until they have to reload. Their point isn't to actually kill you but to lock one player down and force teamwork.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

THE RATLING GUNNER WILL TARGET THE DWARF -- YES, HE SURE DID

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Which staff should I be using with the second Sienna class? I like the beam and bolt staff but it seems like I'll overheat quickly with the bolt staff.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ravenfood posted:

They target one hero and don't really re-target until they have to reload. Their point isn't to actually kill you but to lock one player down and force teamwork.

Also to lock out a section of the battlefield, which i turn divides up the hero's while trying to face other specials/hordes.

I think shields can actually be used to block rattling fire so long as you have stamina, unlike other weapons.

Mr E posted:

Which staff should I be using with the second Sienna class? I like the beam and bolt staff but it seems like I'll overheat quickly with the bolt staff.

Pyromancer's heat management doesn't really come online till she get some talents. Most notably her level 10 talent that give double heat loss over time so long as one team mate has a grim. Supposedly, her most broken build is pyro, bolt staff, crit boosters, and a lose heat on crit oj.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 6, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr E posted:

Beam staff seems anemic and weak. Fireball staff is totally 100% fine for what it does. Bolt staff is also fine, with the caveat that if you get an orange bolt staff with -heat on crit then you've now got a endless death belching hellgun should you stack crit on your other trinkets.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I dont know posted:

I think shields can actually be used to block rattling fire so long as you have stamina, unlike other weapons.
correct

Mr E posted:

both of these make less sense with Pyromancer because the class's active deletes high value targets for you, which is what the beam and bolt staff both specialize in. try the fireball, conflagration, or flamestorm staves.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Do I just suck at dwarf now/have bad luck, or is the phrase "Show us your mettle, dwarf!" not playing anymore in VT2? One of my favorite steam name gimmicks was My Metal Dwarf and it would be so much more perfect now that you can be all dolled up in plate

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

They sure do a good job of focusing down one teammate from the other side of a brick wall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skypie posted:

I played War Camp earlier leveling my dorf. Since I've been Huntsman Kruber, I did not realize how much that fight can suck. Also, it cracks me up that the boss says he will fight you alone cuz he doesn't need help then summons adds non stop. :v:

I think he only really starts calling them in around the middle of the fight when he is losing. Something the characters remark on.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
people don't like footknight kruber? maybe it's because I've gotten lucky with items but i'm effectively a walking cc for up to like twenty enemies.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Willie Tomg posted:

So now you ask "wait, does that mean as long as I don't get knocked down twice in 15 seconds on Champion, I never ever die for any reason because I picked Elf Waywatcher: The Anime Protagonist"?

yes. it means exactly that. a disgusting, degenerate hero for people who don't actually want to play Vermintide.
Interesting, thanks. Seems like it should have been pretty easy to forsee that passive health regen would be pretty drat good in a game about not taking damage.

Fatshark did a good job with RatStabber 1 so maybe they'll be able to balance all the extra talents, specials, classes and mechanics they've added for this game but I can see the sheer complexity of it might take a while. But I can see a situation where this game ends up like L4D2, with loads more stuff than the original at the cost of a lot of the clean design that made the first game so elegant. Oh well. Good thing stabbing rats is fundamentally so much fun

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also I accidentally broke my 22 percent curse resistance trinket fml

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda funny that we all still think of it as ratfight, despite the Chaos Boys trying so hard to stand out (and failing, the Chaos Lord is boring as hell).

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zephro posted:

Interesting, thanks. Seems like it should have been pretty easy to forsee that passive health regen would be pretty drat good in a game about not taking damage.

Fatshark did a good job with RatStabber 1 so I have faith they can balance all the extra talents, specials, classes and mechanics they've added for this game but I can see the sheer complexity of it might take a while. But I can see a situation where this game ends up like L4D2, with loads more stuff than the original at the cost of a lot of the clean design that made the first game so elegant. Oh well. Good thing stabbing rats is fundamentally so much fun

Yeah so much stuff is radically busted the only thing I can think of is they're going "well... okay, let's get this out first, then we'll balance it." Cause the huntsman's active, the regen, the equipment loops that break everything... there's just some obviously busted stuff that seems like they're not even considering it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randler posted:

There will be more missions once the game releases for real this Thursday. If you go to the lobby browser you can already see the names of those missions, though you can't join them obviously.

Great, thanks. Quick follow up, occasionally I'll see a little hi Five icon show up in the middle of my screen, is that an assist opportunity? Do I need to press a special key for it or just crunch the enemy near the player?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The best delete button Ive found for Fire Grandma is drinking a concentration potion with the +50% duration buff. It lets you shoot out like 8 ults in a row on Pyro.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Did my first few veteran missions last night on the new(ish) swamp map. Seems like the director on that map likes to throw like half a dozen specials at you right when you meet your first boss.

It spawned:
Flamethrower Roger
Chaos warrior
Warpfire thrower
Ratling gunner
Warpstorm dude

The next run was similar except the boss was a chaos spawn and we had two chaos warriors over the course of the fight.

It was nasty AF.

Is there a limit on how many specials they can send your way at once? plz don’t limit it. This was hilarious

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

people don't like footknight kruber? maybe it's because I've gotten lucky with items but i'm effectively a walking cc for up to like twenty enemies.

huntsman kruber is walking death for 200 enemies so he kind of loses by default

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's kinda funny that we all still think of it as ratfight, despite the Chaos Boys trying so hard to stand out (and failing, the Chaos Lord is boring as hell).

It’s because the cool funny rat bros still have all the memorable personality while chaos are utterly loving boring musclemen with 0 personality by comparison who suck as much of the soul out of the game as they can, and who I will be modding out entirely if possible

although based on what lunethex is saying about the EAC that may be a false hope, since I’m pretty sure any mod that changes spawns would be considered a cheat—replacing them with skaven models which will no doubt get horrifically and hilariously deformed on their skeletons may be the best possibility

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

It’s because the cool funny rat bros still have all the memorable personality while chaos are utterly loving boring musclemen with 0 personality by comparison who suck as much of the soul out of the game as they can, and who I will be modding out entirely if possible

The weird part about Chaos is that there's all this stuff about how absolutely anyone from anywhere in the world could end up joining them, whatever race, gender, or nationality. They've got all kinds of folk up north and they're all kinds of people, and yet it just turns them all into fat giant musclemen in huge suits of armor who don't have a personality anymore. Goddamn wasted opportunity.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like how all the characters have some variation of "HEY WATCH OUT FOR THAT MAGIC FLYING AXE poo poo HE DOES" for the Chaos Champion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

chaos warbands in WHF are almost entirely made up of norscans, actually - their design is pretty reasonable. joiners in chaos invasions tend to be the isolated cults in various areas and those could ostensibly be anyone or anybody, but they're a trivial part of the overall manpower. i don't disagree with all the rest of what's said, the Skaven have a lot more personality than the football players and the annoying heaviness of the marauders make them more fun to fight besides, but that part is one thing that is just a fact of life when Chaos is around in WHF - their rank and file dude is a big old viking muscleman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even the Arming sword gets stuck in the loving footballers now.

I'm more used to running into Chaos in the RPG, where the random tables for Champions can produce a flying elf robot made out of living crystal that devours light.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Willie Tomg posted:

You sure about that? We tried this and the regen did not reset the number of times I could drop and get revived. Had to use a healing item to reset that even if the regen ticked back to full health.

Haven't tested it recently, though, could be the patch interacting with it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
re:bow chat, for WW I like quickfire more. The commonly used weapons for the other character all deal with specials reliably and you can at least stun lock them with the bow, so I would rather just continue my role of "be a blender" with the added potential of "being a blender but way over there." WW specially has the ammo for you to simply not give a gently caress, though, on a Shade I imagine I'd use her special crossbow or less SMG-like.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the "problem" with kruber is that he's good across the board, but his other roles are more good.

Huntsman probably doesn't need any referencing at this point, but mercenary has their ability kick in on the regular once you get that magical number to actually slash through enough enemies, as well as being able to share this ability with the team. Knight is hella tonk but bardin already exists.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Knight has a stylish little cape, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the Chaos dudes. They are not as fun as the Skaven but they are still a good addition to the game.

• Locked thread