Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

qbert posted:

All the ways in which HZD and MHW are alike:

They're both open world games
They both have a character leveling system
You gain ability points to apply to a skill tree as you level up
You can upgrade your item capacity for various storage stuff
Both have dialogue trees
Both let you switch weapons on the fly during combat
Both are single-player only campaigns
There's an extra vision layer mechanic in both
Both feature intricate upgrade trees for weapons
Buffs are a big deal in both

Oh wait, none of that is true.

Well the storage one is. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They both have one major thing in common in that they're both not the superior open world PS4 game

That's right folks it's Metal Gear Solid FiVe: The Vantom Pain

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well the storage one is. :haw:

You can't upgrade the capacity of anything in MHW.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

qbert posted:

You can't upgrade the capacity of anything in MHW.

You increase the storage capacity of the tree, though there isn't really a reason to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They both have one major thing in common in that they're both not the superior open world PS4 game

That's right folks it's Metal Gear Solid FiVe: The Vantom Pain

veni veni veni posted:

:laffo: isn’t that about where you quit playing Horizon?

I unlocked the entire world, was clearing out forts and putting away sidequests and was nearly all the way through the story until I flagged in the final stretch. It's a beautiful game and Aloy is a wonderful character but the gameplay was just bog standard to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 7, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

used the money left on my account to buy titanfall 2 when it was $6 the other day and the campaign was really fun. mechanically very satisfying and some of the backdrops are gorgeous, tho I have zero interest in the setting or basically any of the characters except for the robot companion

doubt I'll ever touch the mp because I hated the beta but it was definitely worth the price and then some. cool game

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I keep wondering if I should reinstall MGSV. I played it for about 5 hours and really liked it but stopped. Not sure why. I love sandboxy games and the unlock system seemed good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Playdead is releasing a $375 collectors edition of Inside in collaboration with Realdoll and they won't say what it actually is :v:

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/playdead/products/inside-collector-s-edition

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I unlocked the entire world, was clearing out forts and putting away sidequests and was nearly all the way through the story until I flagged in the final stretch. It's a beautiful game and Aloy is a wonderful character but the gameplay was just bog standard to me.

Ok, I thought it was earlier than that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd say at least give Frontier Defence a go, especially because the company you work for in it is Droz and Davis, who both own.

Droz: Standby for Titanfall.
Davis: Pssh, I can do better than that. STANDBY FOR TITANFALL WOOOOO

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

used the money left on my account to buy titanfall 2 when it was $6 the other day and the campaign was really fun. mechanically very satisfying and some of the backdrops are gorgeous, tho I have zero interest in the setting or basically any of the characters except for the robot companion

doubt I'll ever touch the mp because I hated the beta but it was definitely worth the price and then some. cool game

Co-op is worth a try.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I keep wondering if I should reinstall MGSV. I played it for about 5 hours and really liked it but stopped. Not sure why. I love sandboxy games and the unlock system seemed good.

If you love the basic sandbox gameplay loop than the game delivers in spades, and it has more than enough menu-tinkering and physics experimentation to keep you busy for a long rear end time.

If you're looking for the other aspects of Metal Gear (creative boss fights, actual narrative tension, bizarre social commentary) you will find nothing but a hollow, ghostly vacuum of pain where a personality once was. You can still feel it, but it's not there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4Tusk_V2k

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Manatee Cannon posted:

you should try it a few times, attrition and frontier defense.

I thought mp would suck (really because I thought I would suck), but after like 4 games I was scoring top on the team. I'm terrible at FPS on console normally, but TF2 gives you a lot of tools if you suck at the actual shooting. Just zip around the map doing cool rear end moves, slide here and there, pop cloak, sneak up and kill a dude, fly away with a grapple hook, ect. I don't know how they got the default control/sensitivity so right, but they did.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

veni veni veni posted:

Playdead is releasing a $375 collectors edition of Inside in collaboration with Realdoll and they won't say what it actually is :v:

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/playdead/products/inside-collector-s-edition

Holy poo poo it is definitely a real-doll-flesh endgame monster. Somebody buy it. Prove me wrong. And for the love of jeebus buy Inside if you haven’t played it.

Also, the best best open world game ever isn’t even on PS4 or PC :smug:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I got the Platinum trophy in Parappa The Rapper Remastered. I am awesome.

Interesting side note the Cool! system in Parappa The Rapper 2 is apparently completely different because I could not transfer my skills over to that one at all :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If you love the basic sandbox gameplay loop than the game delivers in spades, and it has more than enough menu-tinkering and physics experimentation to keep you busy for a long rear end time.

If you're looking for the other aspects of Metal Gear (creative boss fights, actual narrative tension, bizarre social commentary) you will find nothing but a hollow, ghostly vacuum of pain where a personality once was. You can still feel it, but it's not there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4Tusk_V2k

I feel like I should be paying you for always being there to explain games to me :hfive: thanks!

That seems like what I want. I love Kojima but heavily dislike long meandering cutscenes and am always 100% into the standard sandbox loop. I’ll boot it up sometime for sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was bought Gundam Versus for Christmas and while hte netcode is a tire fire and most people online are Japanese godkings who paid money for the good robits and can annihilate you with the lovely ones anyway, it's a lot of fun bumbling around anyway and listening to it's one song in trial/wave mode (GUNDAMMU :shepface:).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I was bought Gundam Versus for Christmas and while hte netcode is a tire fire and most people online are Japanese godkings who paid money for the good robits and can annihilate you with the lovely ones anyway, it's a lot of fun bumbling around anyway and listening to it's one song in trial/wave mode (GUNDAMMU :shepface:).

The netcode is super solid, the problem is, just one person being on wifi or in the netherlands or something will ruin it for everyone in the room. There's a large discord for it that you may want to check out where you can get advice and have people help you with suit choice or strategies, along with regular private rooms. Random matchmaking in a team game like that is a wasteland. Also you might want to check out Brett's videos for beginners, and he's got some match vids up there too.

Also, make sure you turn on player communication in the options. For some reason the US version defaults it to off and it's very important for communicating with who you're playing with because it helps them know when you need cover or are getting low on health.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The netcode is super solid, the problem is, just one person being on wifi or in the netherlands or something will ruin it for everyone in the room. There's a large discord for it that you may want to check out where you can get advice and have people help you with suit choice or strategies, along with regular private rooms. Random matchmaking in a team game like that is a wasteland. Also you might want to check out Brett's videos for beginners, and he's got some match vids up there too.

Also, make sure you turn on player communication in the options. For some reason the US version defaults it to off and it's very important for communicating with who you're playing with because it helps them know when you need cover or are getting low on health.

I've just been playing with friends in party chat mostly for team games but it's good to know it's not just everyone being quiet every other time. I've been enjoying the Crossbone Gundam and Gouf Custom so far. I can get to wave 45 or so of that hard wave mode before getting owned though. I'll check out the discord and those videos!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I guess I should rephrase. I'm not talking about like voice communications or anything (even if that is also nice to have, mainly in another program at the same time), but the actual comm button. Most players don't set specific messages, but rather just press it as a 'pay attention' button, just to get the other player to check your status or cut an opponent's combo or whatnot. At the very least, pressing it at HP breakpoints to give your ally an idea of how you're doing as the text changes color as an easy notification that you're getting into yellow/red.

Pretty much everything else is covered in the videos, but I forgot to mention the Wiki guide too, which goes into a lot more detail.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reading the last 8 hours worth of posts in this thread in one go gave me a huge headache, thanks Beanpole

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Akuma posted:

They asked about the separate upgrade, not the all-in-one package.

Which is exactly the information I provided :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rolo posted:

Conan Exiles?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo it is definitely a real-doll-flesh endgame monster. Somebody buy it. Prove me wrong. And for the love of jeebus buy Inside if you haven’t played it.

imagining the playdead guys would fund a mangled boy corpse sextoy isnt that far fetched given how much they seem to love mangled boy corpses

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Conan Exiles?

I need it so bad

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is that the one with the dick size slider

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. The wieners and vaginas are censored on Xbone though so it remains to be seen if the PS4 version will retain the dick slider.

I played the demo on Xbone and it's probably one of the crappiest games I've ever played but also I kind of still want to buy it for some reason. My character was just a detached floating head and sword after a bit but I was still kind of having fun. The combat is beyond horrid though. Imagine Skyrim but somehow 5 times worse.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 7, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After stepping away from Monster Hunter for a while to finish Bloodborne, I've completely forgotten how to play MHW. Trying to kill an Anjanath for this Aloy quest and I'm getting instantly rolled

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I finally got around to getting started on MHW last night, good god that game is super unfriendly to MH virgins. Fun to play but I came away feeling like I'll need to spend a few hours reading guides before I know how the gently caress everything works.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

100ft Robot Golf is free on the Aussie store, and it has commentary by the McElroys :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJQjvZwvP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzYl8Sf9-I

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Noctone posted:

I finally got around to getting started on MHW last night, good god that game is super unfriendly to MH virgins. Fun to play but I came away feeling like I'll need to spend a few hours reading guides before I know how the gently caress everything works.

It's by far the most newbie friendly monster hunter

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After stepping away from Monster Hunter for a while to finish Bloodborne, I've completely forgotten how to play MHW. Trying to kill an Anjanath for this Aloy quest and I'm getting instantly rolled

Happy to roll some Anja's with you. PSN = snackytongs

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Andrast posted:

It's by far the most newbie friendly monster hunter

damning with faint praise if i've ever heard it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Noctone posted:

damning with faint praise if i've ever heard it

It doesn't do the best job of tutorializing some systems, I agree. But it's awesome when you do figure out how things work.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Iol none of this happens.

Nioh isn’t even coherent retelling of the story it’s trying to retell while ignoring the actual villian of the game for 3/4s of the game.

Literally nothing is laid out clearly in that lovely game.

Everything I mentioned is explicitly laid out in conversation. It's a significant plot point when William is called out on using his supernatural abilities for the sake of chasing one man, and the main villain doesn't appear for most of the story, true, but is consistently mentioned and routinely traced as the source of a region's problems.

You just seem to have paid zero attention.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Bust Rodd posted:

The first one is the guy from a week ago posting the same “I watched a speed run and it’s really brown and grey looks bad” post from here and getting instantly owned.

:wave:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do it. I started playing it again recently because I wanted to gently caress around in an open world game. And now I have a fully upgraded motherbase and somehow got the codename 'hero' because my heroism is that high.
It's great to play around with the advanced unlocks. Hand of jehuty, I'm look at you :getin:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Noctone posted:

I had to watch a YouTube video on how the Insect Glaive works and also trapping

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I play Bloodborne and don’t like it I’m definitely not posting that in here

I get the feeling I’ll appreciate it a lot more than I’ll personally enjoy it but we’ll see

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I had to watch a YouTube video on how the Insect Glaive works and also trapping

MHW lets you personalize loving everything, control schemes, auto-crafting, item loadouts, even down to what kinds of text display on screen to homies when you perform actions. But much of it goes unremarked on by the game itself. And there's just so loving much!

Hell, when I was starting out it would've made much more sense to me if they just outright told me that a squad is a dedicated server.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

If I play Bloodborne and don’t like it I’m definitely not posting that in here

I get the feeling I’ll appreciate it a lot more than I’ll personally enjoy it but we’ll see

There are actual nice people in the Bloodborne thread.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jeez hurry up, I gotta explode some heads and cry manly tears! Argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd say at least give Frontier Defence a go, especially because the company you work for in it is Droz and Davis, who both own.

Droz: Standby for Titanfall.
Davis: Pssh, I can do better than that. STANDBY FOR TITANFALL WOOOOO

Droz and Davids own. If we get Titanfall 3 I hope they are the ones sending the player to do stuff in the SP campaign.

-"HEY KIDS. YOU READY FOR THRILLS, CHILLS, N' KILLS?"
-Ugh, must you say that every time?
-Yes. Yes I must.