Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“EOD, but for nuclear weapons” sounds like the most terrifying thing ever :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

“EOD, but for nuclear weapons” sounds like the most terrifying thing ever :stonklol:

They're pretty difficult to set off accidentally, normal eod is worse.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, at least if you set off a nuclear weapon, you won't possibly know it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Emergency_Support_Team

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Reverence posted:

They're pretty difficult to set off accidentally, normal eod is worse.

Yeah, NOW. It took literally decades to make that the case. In the early days, lightning nearby could do it, being dropped wrong could do it, a short in an aircraft system could do it, a fuel fire could do it, etc.

Hell, people died because one guy dropped the core a few inches and it flashed at them.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 7, 2018

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Godholio posted:

Yeah, NOW. It took literally decades to make that the case. In the early days, lightning nearby could do it, being dropped wrong could do it, a short in an aircraft system could do it, a fuel fire could do it, etc.

Hell, people died because one guy dropped the core a few inches and it flashed at them.

Those wouldn't be a full yield in any of those cases, without setting off all the explosives at the same time/in sequence it would just blow up like a normal bomb, or at worst fizzle, with the addition of nuclear debris to clean up afterward.

Reverence fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 7, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Reverence posted:

Those wouldn't be a full yield in any of those cases, without setting off all the explosives at the same time/in sequence it would just blow up like a normal bomb, or at worst fizzle, with the addition of nuclear debris to clean up afterward.

For the MOST part, yes.

Goldsboro would have been a loving full yield.

SAC flew for a decade with bombs that were 1 point safe.

Nuclear safety during the cold war was...not ideal.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

For the MOST part, yes.

Goldsboro would have been a loving full yield.

SAC flew for a decade with bombs that were 1 point safe.

Yes, but specifically EOD wise, I'd rather get a call to safe a nuke then anything else.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reverence posted:

Pretty sure all of those would've been full/near full yield. Goldsboro and the lightning storm, definitely.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Imagine disarming nukes for a living. That’s gotta be worth a few more inches on your penis.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Imagine disarming nukes for a living. That’s gotta be worth a few more inches on your penis.

You can probably go your whole career without doing it for real, though.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

You can probably go your whole career without doing it for real, though.

EOD at my base only came by once every three months or so for training.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

boop the snoot posted:

No point having extra inches if the radiation’s Baker your swimmers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Found the Catholic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

Found the Catholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Reverence posted:

EOD at my base only came by once every three months or so for training.

I think they would be used more often if the units on post actually like, reported UXOs.

A lot of the live fire ranges on JBLM are also in the impact area of mortar rounds and every loving time we do squad live fire we find an unexploded mortar round, granted they've always been 60's instead of 120's.

The first time I did squad live fire one of the NCO's in my CO just walked over to it, picked it up, and chucked it further into the impact area.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I remember one of the stories the new e5 recruiter told me when I originally enlisted was about dudes like loving with cluster muntion duds in Kosovo or where ever and getting their legs blown off yet I still thought that this was an organization that I aspired to serve in

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Reverence posted:

Yes, but specifically EOD wise, I'd rather get a call to safe a nuke then anything else.

Yeah, now. In the fifties or sixties no loving thank you that poo poo was hilariously unsafe.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

It's been mentioned but Command and Control is very much worth reading.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Did this get posted yet?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The person that wrote that statement is the idiot as far as I can tell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: nevermind, was posted at bottom of last page.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 7, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

I remember one of the stories the new e5 recruiter told me when I originally enlisted was about dudes like loving with cluster muntion duds in Kosovo or where ever and getting their legs blown off yet I still thought that this was an organization that I aspired to serve in

this is a feature not a bug for russian poo poo

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

mods change my name posted:

The person that wrote that statement is the idiot as far as I can tell.

Apparently 'Soldier,' 'Civilian,' and 'Family' are Proper Nouns worthy of random-rear end capitalization.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Actually capitalizing the word "soldier" is 100% IAW regulations

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dick Burglar posted:

Apparently 'Soldier,' 'Civilian,' and 'Family' are Proper Nouns worthy of random-rear end capitalization.

Also Service Member

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Soulex posted:

Also Service Member

Thus, use Service Member Inspector in your Powerpoints, not "meat gazer".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Automatic Retard posted:

Did this get posted yet?

The guy who does the emergency announcements at my base is such a bad speller that I would genuinely be suspicious if we ever got a message that didn't have a typo. Epic center sounds rad as hell though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The guy who does the emergency announcements at my base is such a bad speller that I would genuinely be suspicious if we ever got a message that didn't have a typo. Epic center sounds rad as hell though.

I loving hate those things with the fire of a thousand suns. That little popup soaks up all my computer's resources for a good 45 seconds. Thank god I keep my sound turned off. But the I get the email that says the exact same thing. Then the phone call that literally reads the same message (I didn't realize this until that actual exercise when it read the typo).

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Godholio posted:

I loving hate those things with the fire of a thousand suns. That little popup soaks up all my computer's resources for a good 45 seconds. Thank god I keep my sound turned off. But the I get the email that says the exact same thing. Then the phone call that literally reads the same message (I didn't realize this until that actual exercise when it read the typo).

Good news! An actual event uses the PC speaker in the latest version of At Hoc.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Oh, it's absolutely magical when you have multiple offices with 5+ phones per room. The entire day is just an endless stream of klaxons blaring from computers, phones ringing, and people screaming in rage at the stupidity of it all.

It's like the circle of hell that's reserved for unrepentant telemarketers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh, it's absolutely magical when you have multiple offices with 5+ phones per room. The entire day is just an endless stream of klaxons blaring from computers, phones ringing, and people screaming in rage at the stupidity of it all.

It's like the circle of hell that's reserved for unrepentant telemarketers.

:lol: Strike sounds like a Dante-esque pit of phones and computers at max volume as LTs scream and rip their hair out.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

Good news! An actual event uses the PC speaker in the latest version of At Hoc.

Good News! I actually deleted the audio drivers!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Air Force safety.

My boy Hyman G made sure Navy nuclear culture was different.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Air Force safety.

My boy Hyman G made sure Navy nuclear culture was different.

And Army.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Soulex posted:

Good News! I actually deleted the audio drivers!
The PC speaker does not use drivers, it's the thing that beeps at you during boot. It's low-level hardware dating back to the original IBM PCs.

Most modern OSes redirect beep calls to the system sound platform if available, but if there are no functioning audio devices it'll go right to the onboard noisemaker. It may be disableable in the BIOS, but generally the only way to stop it is to physically break it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

The PC speaker does not use drivers, it's the thing that beeps at you during boot. It's low-level hardware dating back to the original IBM PCs.

Most modern OSes redirect beep calls to the system sound platform if available, but if there are no functioning audio devices it'll go right to the onboard noisemaker. It may be disableable in the BIOS, but generally the only way to stop it is to physically break it.

Oh! I just know when I did this, the idiot whose computer it was couldn’t play anymore of his goddamn idiot music on repeat. NCOIC said handle it so I did. I don’t recall how it got fixed.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Soulex posted:

Oh! I just know when I did this, the idiot whose computer it was couldn’t play anymore of his goddamn idiot music on repeat. NCOIC said handle it so I did. I don’t recall how it got fixed.

So a random user account was able to make a system level change to an Army workstation I.e uninstalling drivers/other software?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yes. I don’t recall if I got there through devices or task manager. It’s been a very long time. I did it in Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
At Hoc definitely doesn't make any noise on my laptop with the volume turned off.

I have a newer laptop with windows 10 on it and for some reason the Army bought laptops without disk drives, the only way of transferring files from computer to computer other than share drives on government computers.