Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Salt Fish posted:

I like guitars, but I'm not excited by the idea of a guitar that shoots nuclear artillery everywhere after you play a chord.

Wait actually maybe I am.

see when you spell it out it sounds pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
omfg that archive link ahahahaha

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hey they're called public keys for a reason okay. It's fine. :smuggo:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BattleMaster posted:

I forgot that the US was doing insane poo poo like nuclear artillery shells which have to use gun-type warheads because they're small enough for the job
for about a dozen years after hiroshima there was an overwhelming belief that all future wars would be nuclear wars and that there was no real need for armies or navies any more - just strategic bombers and missiles

the navy and the army spent those dozen years scrambling to come up with nuclear-themed reasons for them to keep their funding levels, which resulted in all kinds of desperate crazypants nuclear poo poo (the davy crocket nuclear bazooka, the 'pentomic' division, etc)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Now you reminded me about the demon core and Louis Slotin, the patron saint of security fuckups.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FMguru posted:

for about a dozen years after hiroshima there was an overwhelming belief that all future wars would be nuclear wars and that there was no real need for armies or navies any more - just strategic bombers and missiles

the navy and the army spent those dozen years scrambling to come up with nuclear-themed reasons for them to keep their funding levels, which resulted in all kinds of desperate crazypants nuclear poo poo (the davy crocket nuclear bazooka, the 'pentomic' division, etc)

US went crazy mass-producing fat men with the name Mark 3 and then built even more with improvements for real field conditions with the name Mark 4

given how many fat men they had when the korean war happened it's amazing that none of them got used as well

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

US went crazy mass-producing fat men with the name Mark

it sure did

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

on the other hand that gave us metal gear solid 3: snake eater

:patriot: :rip: :ocelot::smuggo:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ChubbyThePhat posted:

omfg that archive link ahahahaha

me on first look: eh, it's just public keys

me on second look: wait some of those aren't super-long rsa or ecc keys… i bet there's a way to get the private key back

don't touch the poop though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I wonder how much bigger the budget increase at next hears senate appropriations sub committee ended up being because that probably previously known group of annoying but harmless people managed to make it to the outside of a storage facility.

not as much as you'd think. in a rare display of justice a bunch of people at dept of energy and oak ridge got sacked, rifed, or decided to retire early after that fiasco.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

me on first look: eh, it's just public keys

me on second look: wait some of those aren't super-long rsa or ecc keys… i bet there's a way to get the private key back

don't touch the poop though

wait. does Linux seriously have a thing where you can use public keys that expose private key data?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

wait. does Linux seriously have a thing where you can use public keys that expose private key data?
same way that active directory has a thing where gpos pass around the admin password

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shaggar posted:

smh that you didn't immediately think of cve-2008-0166

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BattleMaster posted:

given how many fat men they had when the korean war happened it's amazing that none of them got used as well

the wrong person in the oval office and it probably would have happened. macarthur was openly pushing to drop a-bombs and truman had to fire his rear end.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

anthonypants posted:

same way that active directory has a thing where gpos pass around the admin password

Basically this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

not sure what you're talking about. also gpos have value even if they can be configured incorrectly whereas theres no use case for a public key that leaks its private key.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

not sure what you're talking about. also gpos have value even if they can be configured incorrectly whereas theres no use case for a public key that leaks its private key.
thank you for agreeing with me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes we agree that Linux is bad and has bad security.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

if the public key is small enough or the algo is old and poo poo enough, mathematically, yeah, that's why nist says to use 4096 bit rsa keys

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh i guess that makes sense.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

oh i guess that makes sense.

yeah i forgot that windows users generally need simpler language in explanations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't have the autism to memorize key algorithms and what their keys look like. i just use windows so everything is just secure by default.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you can't read base64

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

i don't have the autism to memorize key algorithms and what their keys look like. i just use windows so everything is just secure by default.
windows comes with openssh now so you'd better learn quick

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

i don't have the autism

I dont believe you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i don't have the autism

bull

loving

poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i think what he meant is that he lacks sufficient autism

it's a spectrum, folks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a spectrum, folks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

at least it's airgapped. and it's appropriate given the thread title

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

at least it's airgapped
immune to spectre/meltdown too

e: ninja edit'd!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
let's be realistic, a z80 doesn't have enough features to handle modern enterprise workloads

so clearly it is time to migrate everything to xbox 360s with in-order 2 ghz PPCs

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
please do not engage shaggar

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let's be realistic, a z80 doesn't have enough features to handle modern enterprise workloads

That’s what the eZ80 is for.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:discourse:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

akadajet posted:

That’s what the eZ80 is for.

wikipedia posted:

Available at up to 50 MHz (2004), the performance is comparable to a Z80 clocked at 150 MHz if fast memory is used (i.e. no wait states for opcode fetches, for data, or for I/O) or even higher in some applications (a 16-bit addition is 11 times as fast as in the original).

holy moly

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

let's make a z80 yostop

I'll start the wiki

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i have wondered for a long time how fast some ancient processors would be if they were made with the modern nanometer processes and run at gigahertz frequency

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just gonna put my garbage tweet(s) here. tl;dr my bank is garbage

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/971327709170167808

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wheany posted:

i have wondered for a long time how fast some ancient processors would be if they were made with the modern nanometer processes and run at gigahertz frequency

Z80 doesn't have a cache, pipelining, speculative execution, or anything like that and just grabs instructions one at a time from the memory bus in between executing them, can't do memory or I/O access during instruction fetch, has an 8-bit data bus meaning multiple fetches for multi-word instructions (3 reads for most memory instructions or jumps), and has a poor instruction per clock cycle ratio so it wouldn't be so hot even at multi-gigahertz clock speeds. It's also RISC-like (I think it predates that term) so you can't construct instructions and so many operations require several instructions in a row.

CPUs have come a long way since then for better or for worse (lol speculative execution exploits)

Edit: that said it's still killer for some modern applications like as a soft-core on an FPGA

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

just gonna put my garbage tweet(s) here. tl;dr my bank is garbage

i give it a 50 50 chance they "fix" it by also opting out of the ssl labs scan

• Locked thread