Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/posts/10155428891823723

VOTE - live or die?

Also -

CLEAN. And I dont mean the black car

4 months, 8000kms and not a hint of issues. The Liberty would have probably exploded five times by now. Opinion of car (brilliant apart from rear shock rate) and CVT (Livable) not changed at all. Given it didnt miss a beat during this fearsome summer probably means my opinion improved, just because it hasnt tried to melt down.

Funny... The last round of 43 degree weather we had here in Adelaide my mates 06 Liberty 3.0R decided to puke coolant everywhere and overheat too. No sign of why either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Ferremit posted:

Funny... The last round of 43 degree weather we had here in Adelaide my mates 06 Liberty 3.0R decided to puke coolant everywhere and overheat too. No sign of why either!

The H6 in my outback overheats in traffic if the temp is 30+ deg. No idea why. I reckon they might be undercooled from factory.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fo3 posted:

In what way are they compacts? :v:
We got something close to the dart with the chrysler valiant regal. Also something close to the duster/demon with the VH valiant hardtop and the CH chrysler hard-top coupe (very low numbers sold but my favourite - I like them even more than the 3/4 scale chargers sold here) E: http://herman.coomans.net/hardtops.html

In the same way that my '70 Cutlass, all 16' 3" of it, was an "Intermediate."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

In the same way that my '70 Cutlass, all 16' 3" of it, was an "Intermediate."

An A-body is definitely a midsize. My daily is an Impala, and it's way bigger than my Chevelle.

The Camaro is a compact, it's basically just a better looking Nova.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Chiwie posted:

The H6 in my outback overheats in traffic if the temp is 30+ deg. No idea why. I reckon they might be undercooled from factory.

The H6 really does get incredibly hot. You might want to check the thermo fans tho, I found mine was okay in traffic, it was only freeway when 30+ was loving things up

And yeah the radiator in the H6 is surprisingly small. I think a bigger radiator is almost a must, esp given how summers are just getting worse and worse.

Silver WRX will "live" again. Kinda. We uhhhhh.... found out something that makes the "other" project work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Every time I see you post, I wonder "Did another car get purchased"

I see this time I was probably right :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

An A-body is definitely a midsize. My daily is an Impala, and it's way bigger than my Chevelle.

The Camaro is a compact, it's basically just a better looking Nova.

I mean, I wouldn't say BETTER looking. An even split, really, till the late 70s.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

iospace posted:

You do not understand the Badness that lies in wait....

I am tempted to tease...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you cray

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean, I wouldn't say BETTER looking. An even split, really, till the late 70s.

The only reason I say better is because the proportions are all wack on the Nova. They look super weird from a side profile; the front end is too short for the rest of the car. The Camaro fixes that. And they both got smashed around with the uggo stick in the mid '70s, although the Nova arguably got it yet worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Any problem if you give me a rundown on what the A-Body platform is?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Most of aussie chrylser cars were based on the 1960s 'A' body of the dodge dart or plymouth valiant (hence they were nearly all called valiants here). It's a smaller frame than the medium size B body the US used for their charger etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chrysler_platforms
I'm not sure what the larger chryslers here used, (like the VH/CH/chrysler by chrysler larger cars) whether they went with a B body or just extended the now native A body a bit?
E: also not sure what they used before the A body as they were making 50s styled chrysler valiants here in 1960

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 2, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Don't forget the GM A body, though that was specific to North America. Mentioning this since there were some US GM models mentioned.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Don't forget the GM A body, though that was specific to North America. Mentioning this since there were some US GM models mentioned.

Beat me to it. My '70 Olds Cutlass is an A-body.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Beat me to it. My '70 Olds Cutlass is an A-body.

As is the Chevelle I mentioned. All of those midsize GMs: Chevelle/Malibu, Cutlass/442, Tempest/Lemans/GTO, GS/GSX. Am I forgetting some?

I thought that was why he asked :shobon:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I thought it was specific to chrysler A body chat.
I have no idea if anything made by GM-Holden was based on a post 1960 USA frame. Maybe, but I've never read anything about it.
E: there is probably only a handful of imported buicks and pontiacs in Australia. GM never did assemble them here or do something official with them so an GM A body means nothing here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 3, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

I have no idea if anything made by GM-Holden was based on a post 1960 USA frame. Maybe, but I've never read anything about it.
E: there is probably only a handful of imported buicks and pontiacs in Australia. GM never did assemble them here or do something official with them so an GM A body means nothing here.

Lets chat about whatever :)

The FX of course was a Chev that was deemed to small for the US market and was used instead in Aust only but after that Holden tended to go their own way and went to use German designs as their car basis in the 70's. The HQ was the first full redesign (also went ot a full sized body) that was famously hosed in the head when it came to suspension because one of the idiots in charge was from the USA and insisted on making the suspension far, far too soft... which lead to the RTS suspension redo.

And of course Commodores and half the smaller car lines have always either been Euros or euro based.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Since this is a Subaru thread mentioning Chrysler, someone post the LeBaron with WRX engine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

As is the Chevelle I mentioned. All of those midsize GMs: Chevelle/Malibu, Cutlass/442, Tempest/Lemans/GTO, GS/GSX. Am I forgetting some?

I thought that was why he asked :shobon:

Yeah, the Buick Skylark, but that's the pedestrian version of the GS/GSX, so meh.

Fo3 posted:

STR/Yu-gi-ho! mentioned it as a clarification, since both GM and Chrysler have "A-bodies." Even better, GM continued to call the intermediates A-bodies for the first few model years after down-sizing them in '78, then changed it to "G-body," for added confusion. And *then* applied the A-body designation to the FWD Chevy Celebrity and it's siblings in 1982!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lets chat about whatever :)

The FX of course was a Chev that was deemed to small for the US market and was used instead in Aust only but after that Holden tended to go their own way and went to use German designs as their car basis in the 70's. The HQ was the first full redesign (also went ot a full sized body) that was famously hosed in the head when it came to suspension because one of the idiots in charge was from the USA and insisted on making the suspension far, far too soft... which lead to the RTS suspension redo.

And of course Commodores and half the smaller car lines have always either been Euros or euro based.

And by way of roundabout, GM is now using Opel-designed platforms for several of the most recent cars. Some just lifted wholesale (Buick convertible with the hidden taillights in the trunk. Edit: Cascada. They didn't even change the name!) Isn't the Camaro platform Opel based? Or was that stolen from Holden? Pretty much anything RWD that's not a truck is coming from "Eurp".

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

Isn't the Camaro platform Opel based? Or was that stolen from Holden? Pretty much anything RWD that's not a truck is coming from "Eurp".

No. The 6th Camaro platform (GM Alpha) is Caddy ATS/CTS and Camaro and that's it. However, the 5th Gen was largely underpinned by Commodore bits aka the GM Zeta Platform.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wrar posted:

No. The 6th Camaro platform (GM Alpha) is Caddy ATS/CTS and Camaro and that's it. However, the 5th Gen was largely underpinned by Commodore bits aka the GM Zeta Platform.

Darchangel posted:

And by way of roundabout, GM is now using Opel-designed platforms for several of the most recent cars. Some just lifted wholesale (Buick convertible with the hidden taillights in the trunk. Edit: Cascada. They didn't even change the name!) Isn't the Camaro platform Opel based? Or was that stolen from Holden? Pretty much anything RWD that's not a truck is coming from "Eurp".

Yeah the 5th gen Camaro is based on the GM Zeta platform, which was originally a Holden platform. Nothing wrong with the platform; we also got it as the Chevy police pursuit vehicle, Chevy SS, and Pontiac G8.

Not the first time GM has pulled that. See also: Saturn Astra, which was actually an Opel Astra that basically had the steering wheel moved over (and was built in Belgium) I almost got one of those instead of the Ionry, and I'm really loving glad I didn't - at least the Ionry was essentially a Delta car (which is common as dirt in the US), while the Astra was a one-off captive import that used pretty much zero parts from other US models. It's pretty rare to see one of those on the road in the US today (particularly Ionric since they replaced the Ion in the lineup), and I would think a total bitch to find any parts. Most mechanical stuff for my Ionry can be found at a Chevy dealer.. or O'Reilly's.. or Autozone.. or any junkyard with a Cobalt, G5, Ion, HHR, and in some cases, later model Cavaliers/Sunfires. I can even find some engine parts in Malibus..

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Fun fact... The Astra is such an epic pile of post processed horse poo that Holden wouldn't even trade one in when they were still within factory warranty.....

And for even greater comedy.. GM sold off GM Europe.... and kept Daewoo....

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah but Opel still exists, and I wouldn't be surprised if the current Astra was a nicer car than the Cruise either.

The 98 Astra I drove was pretty hooked up tbh, but it started bleeding the owner dry on parts cost within a few years.

The last one before GM sold off Opel was loving garbage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kaptainballistik posted:

Fun fact... The Astra is such an epic pile of post processed horse poo that Holden wouldn't even trade one in when they were still within factory warranty.....

That explains why when I bought my car, the same lot had an Astra (loaded on options) that was 2 or 3 years newer and about the same miles... for only $1k more than the Ion. I liked the way it looked, but I was trying to stick with something I actually saw on the road often.

The Daewoo part is all sorts of :psypop:, but I guess Daewoo still plays a role in the compact/subcompact US GM lineup - the Chevy Sonic is essentially a second generation Aveo (but seems to be a better car?) and was mostly designed by Daewoo (but USDM ones are built in the US). The Spark is built in Korea, and used to be sold as the Daewoo Matiz elsewhere in the world. Even the Cruze was originally sold as a Daewoo in Korea (and the Cruze was mostly designed in Korea).

I figured the engines used in all of those were Daewoo-developed, but it looks like, in all 3 models above, the engines are courtesy of Opel.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah but Opel still exists, and I wouldn't be surprised if the current Astra was a nicer car than the Cruise either.

The 98 Astra I drove was pretty hooked up tbh, but it started bleeding the owner dry on parts cost within a few years.

The last one before GM sold off Opel was loving garbage.

A Dutch oven from Hillary Clinton would be better than driving a Cruse!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the aveo is a terrifying car to drive at anything resembling a speed.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

The problem is GM and companies like it are loosing market rapidly to companies who WANT to build cars.

GM just wants to build fridges.

Tesla is pushing for Autonomous vehicles but they still want to build a car you can really drive. They like cars. GM just wants an autominous car with no steering. They have lost the point of building cars. People like driving cars.

When the accountants take over, the car company is doomed. Holden in Australia is in a market share freefall as they are now selling heaps of crap . Look at TOYOTA.., they build fridges AND cars you would like to drive.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Kaptainballistik posted:

Look at TOYOTA.., they build fridges AND cars you would like to drive.

I can't think of a single Toyota in the US that isn't a Tundra that I would drive happily.

Tesla is neat tech in a loving horrific package. The fit/finish would be offensive in a 25k car, much less a 100k vehicle. They're the iPhone of cars. Neat looking, inoffensive, and a loving horrible piece of poo poo in every other way.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

I can't think of a single Toyota in the US that isn't a Tundra that I would drive happily.

Tesla is neat tech in a loving horrific package. The fit/finish would be offensive in a 25k car, much less a 100k vehicle. They're the iPhone of cars. Neat looking, inoffensive, and a loving horrible piece of poo poo in every other way.

Toyota 86....

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

*drops clutch at 5000rpm off the lights, gets over taken by a Camry by the end of second gear*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

*drops clutch at 5000rpm off the lights, gets over taken by a Camry by the end of second gear*

*outbrakes Camry by a mile at the next corner, rips it a new one around thr corner and is never seen again*

And THAT is what counts

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I love that competition on the run from down the hill near the hawkesbury road on ramp. People in the right hand lane accelerate slowly, get undertaken by the time you reach the ramp and they might reappear by the top of Lapstone hill sometimes. That’s also not in anything more flash than a Mazda 3 with the standard spec engine.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

*outbrakes Camry by a mile at the next corner, rips it a new one around thr corner and is never seen again*

And THAT is what counts

*lives in a state woth no corners, loathes the horrific powerband of the car that is now as exciting to drive as a vanagon*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I love that competition on the run from down the hill near the hawkesbury road on ramp. People in the right hand lane accelerate slowly, get undertaken by the time you reach the ramp and they might reappear by the top of Lapstone hill sometimes. That’s also not in anything more flash than a Mazda 3 with the standard spec engine.

Ohhhhh yeah do I know alll about that one.... it's even more fun when a dead stock Forester swoops around the outside carrying far more speed :D

Okay maaaaaybe something a bit more legal now.......

TBH the Teslas I've driven maybe average quality and I detest that centre tablet idea but holy poo poo they are remarkable to drive. There's nothing crap about the performance and they still do steer incredibly well personally. And as much as Toyotas are generally automotive whitegoods, oddly I do find driving them to be interesting overall (Their godawful attempts at large FWD aside). Holden's comparable cars are .... ugh. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE, just a car yard full of utter dross now the locally made Commodore is gone. With Toyota, I only really have contempt for a Prius, those things really are detestible pieces of flaming poo poo. And before the butbutbut they arent supposed to be drivers cars.... the Corolla is a low rent shopping trolley and that manages to be a fundamentally better car all round and the new ones I've had a turn with have been okay (auto models) to pretty decent (Manual).

Still, as I've said elsewhere the old bomb Forester is slow as gently caress but I would rather drive that over most any other cars because it is a straight out drat good thing and a bucket of fun to fling into a corner. Speed aint everything when it comes to having fun in a car

I am kinda wondering what a Levorg would be like with MCA's in it tho......

quote:

*lives in a state woth no corners, loathes the horrific powerband of the car that is now as exciting to drive as a vanagon*

Not the car's fault that automotive hell exists :D

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Frankly if you prefer driving a Camry more than an 86, you probably don't like driving.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not the car's fault that automotive hell exists :D

I have 30ish tracks within 8hrs of me, it's an amazing automotive place. But the 86 is still boring as poo poo to drive every day, and even gets worse gas mileage than much faster vehicles better suited to the driving style here.

Camry is also boring as hell, but it is fun to go to Long Beach and watch the track ride along Camry pull away hard from the 86s doing the same thing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And THAT is what counts
Well, assuming you take off the stock Michelin "green x" low rolling resistance tires.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

jamal posted:

Well, assuming you take off the stock Michelin "green x" low rolling resistance tires.

Meh, Back the bastard in like a Mini on crosplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Frankly if you prefer driving a Camry more than an 86, you probably don't like driving.

poo poo dude, did you also transfer the money for burn cream? 😂

Anyway, I see there is an overriding theme of hating an 86's handling and power....