Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I wish there was a way to spam Victor's attacking voice lines without attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zephro posted:

GOTY all years if you do this, Fatshark
Actually don't do this, AoS is actually the worst. Even the ratties don't deserve that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
AoS has recently started getting better as a setting. But it's still not good enough to replace the Old World.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Night10194 posted:

That's a bug, he used to scream about BY GRIMNIR and BY THE ANCESTORS! while laughing madly.

It seemed fine for us last night. The first thing we knew where a horde was coming was that little guy screaming Grimnir and cackling like a madman as he flew into the middle of a bunch of rats.

Then you'd just see a warhammer swing around in the middle of them and a little tuft of red hair sticking out of the top. I like to think he was having the time of his life.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I got a health regen necklace from my Ironbreaker and a flamethrower that loses overheat on crits.

When the horde comes bearing down this is how I feel and the music my team needs to hear when I cut loose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoCviS8h28

Raged fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 7, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are the bots supposed to be this awful? I could run Nightmares with them in V1. In 2 they literally stand around and feed the Chaos Spawn while I chip away with my pitiful white weapons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol white weapons are good

hero power is better than anything at low levels until I dunno the third difficulty when you need to start looking for orange traits and ignore most green and blue slots

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I mean, that was throwaway flavor text in a post that was at its heart "my idiot bots stand there and feed hp to the chaos spawn"

Like, they suck at basically everything but this is the case where the bots being awful is actively harmful. If I can still be a Roger Dodger after not playing for like a year, the bots should know how to hop backward.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 7, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MonsterEnvy posted:

AoS has recently started getting better as a setting. But it's still not good enough to replace the Old World.
I will believe it when I see the first couple of stories come out that actually feel like they have weight and mass. The inherent problem with AoS in my mind is that since every side now has an entire plane of functionally inexhaustible resources, literally nothing they could possibly write matters past the momentary descriptions of awesome fights. In WHF, Chaos is theoretically infinite but not functionally since the Chaos Gods are too busy with the Great Game to really pay attention. In AoS nobody has anything better to do than try to dick each other over but each plane is like antimatter to every other plane’s denizens. There is never any end game, so everything is pointless. Not even death sticks so even if there is a squad like the Ubersreik Five I find it difficult to care about them past their fun banter.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Kruber's ability functionally just throws down a aura of guaranteed critical hits and also gives him personally infinite ammo for the duration of the ability. (The aura is extremely small. Like, the size of the chest totem at Taal's keep small.) It also turns his screen hazy and makes it a little hard to see while increasing the bass of his GUN dramatically for some reason. You are still incredibly targetable for the duration. It also increases reload speed, I believe.

Bardin's ranger special makes him invisible, though doesn't have the crit aura.

I'm pretty sure it does grant you stealth but it works the same way as Bardin's smoke bomb: stuff that's already targeting you doesn't stop, and if you attack stuff, it knows you're there. Cuz I've used a warhammer, smashed away a horde of slave rats focused on me, popped it and walked through enemies to revive a downed ally. I've also used it in panic moments like at the end of Against the Grain or Empire in Flames to just avoid lots of rushing enemies during the escape leg and make it to the bridge.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, lost another War Camp run because we didn't have the DPS to finish off giant Chaos rear end in a top hat. Also, is it me or does his loving axe throw curve around or something, because he'll throw in at one direction, and then when he calls it back it'll hit anyone around him, not just any dude standing in the path of the axe? It's bullshit if that's true.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Coolguye posted:

There is never any end game, so everything is pointless.
This and also:

1) making the Old World into Not-Quite-Earth gave the whole setting some grounding, whereas AoS is just a bunch of pocket dimensions that mean nothing

2) Old World didn't take itself too seriously, which was a big part of its charm compared to both modern 40k and AoS. Among the many good things about Ratfight is it absolutely nails this aspect of the setting. And, related:

3) Holy balls AoS is written in crayon by eight year olds. It's all Bloodmurder Slaughterbands and Blazeheart Fireblazers and KillMurder Murderslayers. I am a loving huge nerd who reads wiki articles on pretend languages and even by my shockingly low standards this stuff is cringeworthily embarrassing

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

toasterwarrior posted:

Ugh, lost another War Camp run because we didn't have the DPS to finish off giant Chaos rear end in a top hat. Also, is it me or does his loving axe throw curve around or something, because he'll throw in at one direction, and then when he calls it back it'll hit anyone around him, not just any dude standing in the path of the axe? It's bullshit if that's true.
It can be blocked, right? He doesn't seem to have any unavoidable damage, so presumably thinking of the fight as a DPS race is the wrong way to think about it? I mean this is how Original Vermintide worked, it was much more important to not take damage than to do it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I have a real complex about boss HP in general. I've done a lot of attacks where nothing affects them, yet I'm hitting them directly in the head with fully charged bolt spear shots. Most melee options are totally worthless against bosses too.

I'm certain now that I'm not crazy about some of the issues I've had with doing damage but it bears mentioning that you need to aim a bit lower on Ribspreader's head because it became clear there's a lot of missing hitbox there.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Slayer is so cool but so useless. I can't deal with no range weapons but the jump is so stylish. It should be longer and let you get up steep obstacles though.

That might just be me reacting to a game where 2 teammates went down and the 3rd dude got grabbed when up on a ledge and I couldn't reach him with my axe!

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 7, 2018

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I have found the way to make me enjoy Salty.

Volley Crossbow.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

hemale in pain posted:

Slayer is so cool but so useless. I can't deal with no range weapons but the jump is so stylish. It should be longer and let you get up steep obstacles though.

It gets better at lvl 20 when you get the jump cooldown reduced to like 5s and can heal from kills. You can flank like mad.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Zephro posted:

This and also:

1) making the Old World into Not-Quite-Earth gave the whole setting some grounding, whereas AoS is just a bunch of pocket dimensions that mean nothing

2) Old World didn't take itself too seriously, which was a big part of its charm compared to both modern 40k and AoS. Among the many good things about Ratfight is it absolutely nails this aspect of the setting. And, related:

3) Holy balls AoS is written in crayon by eight year olds. It's all Bloodmurder Slaughterbands and Blazeheart Fireblazers and KillMurder Murderslayers. I am a loving huge nerd who reads wiki articles on pretend languages and even by my shockingly low standards this stuff is cringeworthily embarrassing

I've always been into 40k and never really read the lore for warhammer fantasy. I looked the end-times up the other day, and holy poo poo AoS just sounds loving retarded. I get that they wanted to copyright the new names for the elfs and dwarfs, and wanted to let people use their old figures, but it's just so unbelievably bad. At the very worst I would have guessed that everyone dies and the few survivors kind of restart on the planet, but what they came up with makes literally no sense. They just turned Sigmar into the fantasy Emperor of Mankind and then copied a giant chunk of his story searching out the primarchs across the planes instead of space. I guess there's a reason all the game companies are sticking to the original setting.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Am I allowed to blame Matt Ward for AoS?

Also lmao at GW having a massive tantrum because they were not allowed to literally copyright "elves" and had to make them aelves or some poo poo.

There used to be a great thread listing all of GWs terrible decisions that caused it to almost go bankrupt and alienate their entire fanbase before they kicked out their super lovely CEO. I wish that was still around, was good reading.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Zephro posted:

This and also:

The one unit that encapsulates Age of Sigmar to a tee is called the Bloodsecrator. They have axes with four blades that constantly drip blood, and they eat their enemies right after killing them even in the middle of a fight!

Its all just so... childish in its absurdity. Not that the Old World had any less ridiculous stuff but it was all fairly grounded.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zephro posted:

It can be blocked, right? He doesn't seem to have any unavoidable damage, so presumably thinking of the fight as a DPS race is the wrong way to think about it? I mean this is how Original Vermintide worked, it was much more important to not take damage than to do it

Nah, I know the axe toss can be blocked, and presumably so can the return flight. It's whether a returning axe toss hits in an AoE or only whoever gets clipped by it as it flies back, because I've gotten hit by a return toss when I wasn't even in the way.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

BombiTheZombie posted:

The one unit that encapsulates Age of Sigmar to a tee is called the Bloodsecrator. They have axes with four blades that constantly drip blood, and they eat their enemies right after killing them even in the middle of a fight!

Its all just so... childish in its absurdity. Not that the Old World had any less ridiculous stuff but it was all fairly grounded.

honestly that just sounds like a standard warhammer 40k unit, so

eating enemies in combat is straight up Kroot and weapons dripping blood sounds like every chaos or dark eldar unit lmao

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I suppose that's the best way to describe it. Its WH40k lite, with any and all personality stripped away and replaced with Brimstone Fyreslayers, Stormcast Eternal Thunderers and Oorruks.

They killed the Old World to make another 40k game is all (Yes i am still salty over it).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The fact they scaled back the over the top stupidity of 40k is what I like about Fantasy and what makes the Skaven great because they’re the one Faction doing utterly mad poo poo, rather than every faction having their own flavour of mad poo poo.

AoS sounds absolutely dire.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
wrt melee headshots with wide sweeping weapons, do you have to be aiming for the head or is aiming at the appropriate heigh enough to hit several dudes? What about vertical chops? Do they count if I aim for the center of mass?

Also kneecaps should count as headshots for the Dorf.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

BombiTheZombie posted:

They killed the Old World to make another 40k game is all (Yes i am still salty over it).

wasn't this the actual reason behind AoS

Like, literally, they wanted something that would sell as well as space marines did, only in fantasy, so they made fantasy sigmar marines

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

official mod support is great news!

Now we can revert the UI! :downs:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Minrad posted:

official mod support is great news!

Now we can revert the UI! :downs:

I like the new look, but it def. needs some tweaking

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What would you even play as in a AoS Vermintide? Four Sigmarines all shouting how great and awesome Sigmar is? That’s another thing that bothers me about AoS lore too. When the realm balls were new (fukkin :lol:) all the good realms started to get those poo poo pushed in until Sigmar unleashed his Sigmarines and pushed them back. It’s literally GAWD EMPAHRAH from 40K brought over and it’s dumb as poo poo

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Age of Sigmartide has one benefit:

Bardin the Duardin

Because dwarfs become duardin .. ?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The good part of end times.

Malakieth was the rightful pheonix lord and united the elves.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What would you even play as in a AoS Vermintide? Four Sigmarines all shouting how great and awesome Sigmar is? That’s another thing that bothers me about AoS lore too. When the realm balls were new (fukkin :lol:) all the good realms started to get those poo poo pushed in until Sigmar unleashed his Sigmarines and pushed them back. It’s literally GAWD EMPAHRAH from 40K brought over and it’s dumb as poo poo

Hey now! Its not God Emperor, its God King now! Totally different: "Sigmar, also known as the God-King, is the god of humans, the lord of the Realm of Azyr and the supreme commander of all the Stormcast Eternals." By happenstance, the Stormcast Eternals all have huge pauldrons and suits of armor with easily paintable surfaces, wielding lances that shoot bolts of thunder that explode on contact. Not at all like the Space Marines! :downs:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

7 chaos warriors, almost simultaneously (I believe at some point we had 3 of em alive at the same time) during my first map on Veteran.

We killed them, but died shortly after

This game loving owns, it is so much better than the last game

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I had a group that ran into about five chaos warriors spread out around the swamp right after tome #3 in the festering ground map. We didn't attack them all, but we pulled enough that a horde took out one or two allies.

This gave me an opportunity to fly around like a dwarf possessed and in case you're curious, the 2h hammer also works on norse boys as well as it works on rats.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i was Ironbreaker at the time with hammer/shield, so I could do 0 damage to them

dscruffy1 posted:

like a dwarf possessed

interestingly I play dorf almost exclusively, and my current steam nick is "possessed" lol.. but I won't go slayer until I reach lvl 20 I think

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

i was Ironbreaker at the time with hammer/shield, so I could do 0 damage to them

Hold left click down

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I do, but I get the "cling" you get when you hit armor, or so I think

Charged attack will damage black rats, does it get chaos too?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Gotta hit the head, which is admittedly difficult with Baldin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

Gotta hit the head, which is admittedly difficult with Baldin.

LOL, these guys are like 7-8 feet tall. The horror.

10/10 for game design, seriously

• Locked thread