Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let's be realistic, a z80 doesn't have enough features to handle modern enterprise workloads

so clearly it is time to migrate everything to xbox 360s with in-order 2 ghz PPCs

nope, the xbox 360 cpu is likely vulnerable to a spectre-like attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
you're going to have to go back to the mid-90s to find cpus that don't have that vulnerability

p5 pentium
powerpc 604

those two cpus should be free from those vulnerabilities--i am not 100% certain about the ppc but it doesn't have speculative execution iirc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
amiga's back, baby!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

amiga's back, baby!

don't tell the furries

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wheany posted:

i have wondered for a long time how fast some ancient processors would be if they were made with the modern nanometer processes and run at gigahertz frequency
To a certain extent you can see this with first-gen Atom devices. They're loosely related to the P5 Pentium design. Not as ancient as a Z80, but we are still talking about a 25 year old CPU (that I remember wanting so badly as a kid when it was new).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spankmeister posted:

let's make a z80 yostop

I'll start the wiki

it'd have to be a yosgraphingcalculator or something

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yo
s
wa
tc

MCD
ONA
LD'
S!

h

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
use one of those soviet era multi-line character displays y'all were buying off ebay a few months ago for a display

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

use one of those soviet era multi-line character displays y'all were buying off ebay a few months ago for a display

no use these soviet EL displays i bought off ebay a few years ago:

they're real big and basically the predator font

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lain Iwakura posted:

you're going to have to go back to the mid-90s to find cpus that don't have that vulnerability

p5 pentium
powerpc 604

those two cpus should be free from those vulnerabilities--i am not 100% certain about the ppc but it doesn't have speculative execution iirc

itanium still seems a likely candidate, little telling precisely what intel did with the later versions, but the idea of the architecture was that all speculation should be software-driven

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Cell broadband engine is back baby. Scratch memorys good again awoooo (DMA howl)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lysidas posted:

i give it a 50 50 chance they "fix" it by also opting out of the ssl labs scan

actually my bad i should have linked further down the thread. they're embedding JS from a third-party ad server on the fuckin internet banking login page lol

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/971330728645443584

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah twitter-based customer support.

- user: @company your product X doesn't work for me
- company: @user can you tell me what's wrong
- user: @company *describes some poo poo*
- company: @user ok I need to look into your account for that, pls DM me your name, address, and the last 4 digits of your CC number so I can confirm your identity
- user: *proceeds to post all that data in a public tweet*

Just looking through tweets addressed to customer support, that sort of thing turns up more often than you'd think.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

#needadebitcard ready to ipo soon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/971480015488671745
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/62715/oculus-runtime-services-current-status#latest

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that is amazing

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

actually my bad i should have linked further down the thread. they're embedding JS from a third-party ad server on the fuckin internet banking login page lol

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/971330728645443584

Loads fine in Firefox blocking all that poo poo, but on the greasy scale it's high. I especially love their password length restrictions, something stupidly short like 8 or 9 characters. Oh and no real MFA.

Sec Fuckups and Marketing suggestions are pretty much the same thing these days.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

These are pro as heck

https://twitter.com/DecipherSec/status/971054085028958209

https://twitter.com/DecipherSec/status/971446678912995328

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
What's dildog?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the gently caress is with the filters on those pics?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

put on your 3d glasses now

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

i remember l0phtcrack

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

This is utterly amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

of course, it’ll affect the software update channel too I’m sure

goofs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

i have wondered for a long time how fast some ancient processors would be if they were made with the modern nanometer processes and run at gigahertz frequency

z80 and 6502 both depended on memory responding instantly -- faster than the chip could execute instructions. that's why they didn't need caches or other crazy stuff.

ddr4 3600 has a typical latency of 18 clocks.... so an old-timey processor with no caches or other wizardry could be run somewhere between 100 and 200 MHz (between 1/18th and 1/36th of the memory clock)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

What's dildog?

not much what's dil with you?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Raere posted:

i remember l0phtcrack

back orifice was a solid jam too

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Midjack posted:

Just dilin around to these BBS to see what's updog

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SeaborneClink posted:

What's dildog?

Google it with safe search off. I dare you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

z80 and 6502 both depended on memory responding instantly -- faster than the chip could execute instructions. that's why they didn't need caches or other crazy stuff.

ddr4 3600 has a typical latency of 18 clocks.... so an old-timey processor with no caches or other wizardry could be run somewhere between 100 and 200 MHz (between 1/18th and 1/36th of the memory clock)

wouldn't be too hard to have the memory interface insert wait states into memory access, the z80 manual shows how to do this for memory that was too slow to keep up with the z80 even back in the day

it puts a speed limit on instruction fetch and memory access/stack operations/etc but parts of the instruction cycle that do non-memory things will go at full speed

fetching instructions from the memory bus one at a time is still a bitch for speed though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Midjack posted:

:doh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

What's dildog?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

rear end in a top hat Masonanie posted:

back orifice was a solid jam too

netbus was better

you could eject the cd rom tray

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BattleMaster posted:

it puts a speed limit on instruction fetch and memory access/stack operations/etc but parts of the instruction cycle that do non-memory things will go at full speed

z80 and 6502 don't have enough registers to really do anything

there are no "non-memory things." the programming model on these chips was that every instruction touches memory, because memory was fast.

(why waste chip space on a big register file when memory is as fast, or faster, than the chip?)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

z80 and 6502 don't have enough registers to really do anything

there are no "non-memory things." the programming model on these chips was that every instruction touches memory, because memory was fast.

(why waste chip space on a big register file when memory is as fast, or faster, than the chip?)

there are a couple of clock cycles in each operation that are not hitting memory that would be faster, plus I/O may be faster than DDR (edit: also, the DRAM refresh cycle that gets inserted after every fetch eats up a bunch of clock cycles doing nothing useful with modern memory)

also 6502 doesn't have many registers but the Z80 has an absurd number of registers including a second set that can be swapped between with an instruction

for a school project years ago I made a calculator that could add or subtract two numbers that had zero RAM storing everything in registers; not exactly a hardcore application but there you go

Edit: obviously a hypothetical 4 ghz turbo Z80 would be useless even if there were minor gains but it's fun to think about

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 8, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

also 6502 doesn't have many registers but the Z80 has an absurd number of registers including a second set that can be swapped between with an instruction

it's also super loving fast to do so -- basically one memory cycle to swap BC, DE, and HL with BC', DE', and HL' and then another one to swap AF and AF'. the AF one is a separate instruction so you can basically have a set of alternate flags load instantly when you get into an IRQ.

the Z80 is actually really cool and now I really want to play with a multi-GHz Z80

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at this.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cheese-cube posted:

just gonna put my garbage tweet(s) here. tl;dr my bank is garbage

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/971327709170167808

its grade B for Banking :shepface:

to the ad server side of things, several large US banks also pull in ad servers but they tend toward doubleclick and other larger and maybe reputable providers. on the flip side theyre covered in tracking and metrics agents many of which sound increasingly obscure. its a testament to how much they want to mine their customers that they dont mind the hit to load time and performance those services bring

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the fact that they do it on every page including ones where you enter or view sensitive info is pretty fuckin greasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Agile Vector posted:

its grade B for Banking :shepface:

to the ad server side of things, several large US banks also pull in ad servers but they tend toward doubleclick and other larger and maybe reputable providers. on the flip side theyre covered in tracking and metrics agents many of which sound increasingly obscure. its a testament to how much they want to mine their customers that they dont mind the hit to load time and performance those services bring

but think of the value add to the customer

• Locked thread