Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

McGiggins posted:

Hmm, that seems to be exactly what i needed, thank you! However, i just edited the .gitmodules file as shown in that page, and
code:
./configure && make
Still errors out with "fatal: not a git repository or any of the parent directories: .git"

It then asks me to do the submodule grab:

code:
git submodule init && git submodule update
Which as i understand should use the updated url i edited in to the new address but then loops back to the "fatal: not a git" error. Have carefully checked that the address was entered correctly.

I downloaded the libpicofe master manually, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it in order to manually install/where to place it so that it is seen by the compiling process.

Thank you for your help so far in any case, today I learned something!

Edit: goddamn am i spoiled by windows. Everything is plug and play or click and play and the average user never really learns beyond their use case.

Linux does anything you ask it to, but you better believe that you need to do some serious research before attempting even the most mundane windows-equivalent task.

I'm not convinced that the problem that Grey Area posted a link to is an actual problem. I'm assuming that you cloned the repository from https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed since that's the first thing that comes up:

code:
$ git clone [url]https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed[/url]
Cloning into 'pcsx_rearmed'...
remote: Counting objects: 7624, done.
remote: Total 7624 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 7624
Receiving objects: 100% (7624/7624), 4.70 MiB | 3.79 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (5165/5165), done.

$ cd pcsx_rearmed/
$ ./configure
libpicofe is missing, please run 'git submodule init && git submodule update'

$ git submodule init && git submodule update
Submodule 'libpicofe' (git://notaz.gp2x.de/~notaz/libpicofe.git) registered for path 'frontend/libpicofe'
Submodule 'warm' (git://notaz.gp2x.de/~notaz/warm.git) registered for path 'frontend/warm'
Cloning into '/tmp/pcsx_rearmed/frontend/libpicofe'...
Cloning into '/tmp/pcsx_rearmed/frontend/warm'...
Submodule path 'frontend/libpicofe': checked out '21604a047941b8fe81d381ede0371c75da964afd'
Submodule path 'frontend/warm': checked out 'a6f015da3b10b82a476250793645c071340decbc'
I think what the problem is, is that older versions of git which is what your Raspbian installation would be using probably don't do a crucial step that newer versions of Git do automatically, which is this:

code:
git submodule update --init --recursive
You'll need to do that in the pcsx_rearmed directory, right after you cloned it. You don't need to edit any files or change any urls. Your git just wasn't pulling in submodules automatically, I think.

e: I would honestly just delete the entire pcsx_rearmed directory and start from scratch. It should just be as simple as

code:
git clone [url]https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed[/url]
cd pcsx_rearmed
git submodule update --init --recursive
./configure
make
I say should but ymmv.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That was super helpful, thank you both for your time. It now compiles and i can run the resulting executable. Yay!

Now have issues with graphics_get_display_size being broken, but that is well out of the realms of general compiling support and into specific application issues i think. I will attempt to see what sort of function/script this may be and attempt to fix it myself. If not, at least i learned something on this journey.

Thank you thread for being super friendly to noob.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Mint isn't a bad choice, i just never remember it exists

Decided to stick with mint. I figured why push my luck after getting everything up and running. Then I installed some updates and the same loving thing happened with the screen :argh: this loving netbook is cursed. Gonna give Fedora a shot now and then maybe kill myself because even the desktop-less, cli stripped down version of ubuntu had the same problem even though all the live CDs have worked perfectly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GobiasIndustries posted:

Decided to stick with mint. I figured why push my luck after getting everything up and running. Then I installed some updates and the same loving thing happened with the screen :argh: this loving netbook is cursed. Gonna give Fedora a shot now and then maybe kill myself because even the desktop-less, cli stripped down version of ubuntu had the same problem even though all the live CDs have worked perfectly.

you might check to see if one of those updates is a video driver update, and just have it excluded from being updated if so.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

you might check to see if one of those updates is a video driver update, and just have it excluded from being updated if so.

Yeah I'm guessing that is what's causing the problems. I don't know why the live cds of x/lubuntu worked fine and then crapped the bed when installed considering i didn't have the 'download updates' box checked but w/e. we'll see how fedora goes and if that doesn't work, it's back to mint and very careful video driver management.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I'm guessing that is what's causing the problems. I don't know why the live cds of x/lubuntu worked fine and then crapped the bed when installed considering i didn't have the 'download updates' box checked but w/e. we'll see how fedora goes and if that doesn't work, it's back to mint and very careful video driver management.

Given that it's happening sporadically across different distributions, with or without Xorg running, and how the picture you posted looks, it seems a lot more likely that your display or its ribbon cable is broken and installing more flavors of Linux won't fix that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Keito posted:

Given that it's happening sporadically across different distributions, with or without Xorg running, and how the picture you posted looks, it seems a lot more likely that your display or its ribbon cable is broken and installing more flavors of Linux won't fix that.

I don't think this is the case tbh. Right now I've got the latest Fedora installed and (outside of figuring out how to install the wifi driver which i still need to do) everything has been totally fine. I wiggled the screen around just to test and shifting it didn't mess anything up. Also the BIOS menus and boot text prior to the OS loading has never given me an issue, same with all of the installation menus when i tried previous installations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

drat, I must have done something really wrong last time then. Or maybe the particular distro I used didn't play well with virtualization in general (might have been Debian or fedora, I forget).

The RAM isn't a problem, I have 16 GB so I can definitely give 8 to the one VM I'll ever run, but I've only got 4c/8t so it would probably be a bad idea to give the vm exclusive use of anything, if that's even possible on windows. Maybe I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.

Trip report: this works pretty well with very little fiddling, 10/10 would VM again.

I installed fedora 27 and it worked fine out of the box. All I did was give it 8 GB of memory and 4 virtual CPUs. I'll probably increase that to 8 to match my logical core count, seems like it wouldn't hurt.

Now I just have to decide on a project to use this VM for...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Does someone have a foolproof way to recompile a kernel for Ubuntu without breaking my videodrivers?

I need to add some patches to my kernel because of some issues with threadripper and KVM and whenever I try to recompile it the way it says on the Ubuntu site, I get an error that says: error running deb-pkg or something.

This one: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/234507/kernel-compilation-error-recipe-for-target-deb-pkg-failed

Now I have used kpkg and that seems to work, but after upgrading from 4.13.0.36 to 14.13.23 my Nvidia drivers break and purging them with apt purge nvidia* seems to have broken Nouveau also. So no video :(

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Does someone have a foolproof way to recompile a kernel for Ubuntu without breaking my videodrivers?

I need to add some patches to my kernel because of some issues with threadripper and KVM and whenever I try to recompile it the way it says on the Ubuntu site, I get an error that says: error running deb-pkg or something.

This one: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/234507/kernel-compilation-error-recipe-for-target-deb-pkg-failed

Now I have used kpkg and that seems to work, but after upgrading from 4.13.0.36 to 14.13.23 my Nvidia drivers break and purging them with apt purge nvidia* seems to have broken Nouveau also. So no video :(

In that stack-overflow there someone suggests trying make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot kernel_image .

In any event, the nvidia drivers (proprietary) would not get compiled for the new kernel by default. Depending how you installed them you need to compile the module for the new kernel. For akmod running akmods --force should do it. If you install it manually (if you are in the "compile my own kernel" stage of linux usage, you can install it manually) then just compile it for the new kernel.

Personally when I get a new kernel for my machine (fedora) i just recompile the nvidia package for the new kernel using this:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.25.run -a -K --kernel-name=4.15.6-300.fc27.x86_64 --no-nvidia-modprobe -s --no-x-check

find the kernel name from /lib/modules/ and update as neccessary . If the mesa packages got updated, just re-run the entire thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
so uh, how exactly do I install the wifi drivers for my mini 10 on Fedora? On Mint it showed up automatically and I was able to install them no problem.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

so uh, how exactly do I install the wifi drivers for my mini 10 on Fedora? On Mint it showed up automatically and I was able to install them no problem.

A google search of card name (or chipset name) + Fedora doesn't turn up anything?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Trip report: ended up getting a 1050 Ti since it seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Took out the placeholder Quadro, installed the 1050 and that's it. Worked out of the box with Noveau with zero fiddling and installing the Nvidia drivers was just adding the repository to Yast with a click or two, select the driver and we're off to the races. Cranked Day of Infamy to max settings and still smooth.

I guess because I had been using the default AMD drivers previously, there wasn't anything to uninstall.

Honestly, I've had a lot of worse upgrades with Windows. I was quite impressed with how well everything played out.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't think this is the case tbh. Right now I've got the latest Fedora installed and (outside of figuring out how to install the wifi driver which i still need to do) everything has been totally fine. I wiggled the screen around just to test and shifting it didn't mess anything up. Also the BIOS menus and boot text prior to the OS loading has never given me an issue, same with all of the installation menus when i tried previous installations.

For your sake I'd like to be wrong, but I've never seen anything like that without the hardware itself having issues.

You might need some firmware to get your WiFi going:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firmware

The kernel will usually spew out errors when something is missing, so check dmesg and system logs for clues. lspci should also list your WiFi chip.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Install dkms and then nvidias dkms package. This should recompile the nvidia drivers for the new kernel each time you install a new kernel.

I think...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

In that stack-overflow there someone suggests trying make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot kernel_image .

In any event, the nvidia drivers (proprietary) would not get compiled for the new kernel by default. Depending how you installed them you need to compile the module for the new kernel. For akmod running akmods --force should do it. If you install it manually (if you are in the "compile my own kernel" stage of linux usage, you can install it manually) then just compile it for the new kernel.

Personally when I get a new kernel for my machine (fedora) i just recompile the nvidia package for the new kernel using this:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.25.run -a -K --kernel-name=4.15.6-300.fc27.x86_64 --no-nvidia-modprobe -s --no-x-check

find the kernel name from /lib/modules/ and update as neccessary . If the mesa packages got updated, just re-run the entire thing.

Horse Clocks posted:

Install dkms and then nvidias dkms package. This should recompile the nvidia drivers for the new kernel each time you install a new kernel.

I think...

Thanks, I will give this a shot.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Keito posted:

For your sake I'd like to be wrong, but I've never seen anything like that without the hardware itself having issues.

You might need some firmware to get your WiFi going:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firmware

The kernel will usually spew out errors when something is missing, so check dmesg and system logs for clues. lspci should also list your WiFi chip.

tyvm for your advice and also everyone else itt, you are all much smarter than i am. I am also very stupid and inexperienced w/ linux and couldn't get Fedora to install the drivers for my wifi chip. Which was fine but I'd prefer to keep that ethernet port open on my router. Then I found out that raspbian is available for x86 platforms now so I figured what the hell, I'm most familiar with working with linux via the Pis I have. So, installed that, and it works perfectly. after upgrading the wifi and bluetooth both work, desktop display works perfectly, ssh is configured, hell even youtube is working and running pretty smooth, not that it'll ever be used for it. All I really need to do is figure out now how to disable the machine going into sleep when the display is shut and I'll be good to go.

e: found it! (keeping the laptop running when the lid is shut)
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/52643/how-to-disable-auto-suspend-when-i-close-laptop-lid#52645

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 6, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the choice of GNOME vs KDE matter if I don't care about or use any of the built in apps? I've only ever used GNOME because that's just the default, but I don't use any of the bundled apps. The only bundled apps I use are terminal. I don't use gnome calendar, or libreoffice, or or gnome maps, rhythmbox, etc. I guess I occasionally use gnome calculator, and that's it. I have no opinions about whatever app the file manager thing is called, because I just copy and move and organize my files in the terminal anyway. I open all my desktop applications by hitting the windows key and typing, e.g., "chrom" and hitting enter.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 7, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
KDE is basically the windows experience with added virtual desktops, except if you go into settings you can change every single setting ever, there's like 5 billion of them, to make the window management behaviour suit your workflow.

Gnome is the gnome experience, and you either like it or don't, and there's really not much you can do about it, especially in gnome 3.

If you never use any bundled apps, it super doesn't matter which you use, besides the window management part. If gnome's works for you stay with that.

That said, IMO gnome-terminal is the superior terminal app, and dolphin is the superior file manager app, so I use those regardless of which desktop environment I'm on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Truga posted:

KDE is basically the windows experience with added virtual desktops, except if you go into settings you can change every single setting ever, there's like 5 billion of them, to make the window management behaviour suit your workflow.

Gnome is the gnome experience, and you either like it or don't, and there's really not much you can do about it, especially in gnome 3.

If you never use any bundled apps, it super doesn't matter which you use, besides the window management part. If gnome's works for you stay with that.

That said, IMO gnome-terminal is the superior terminal app, and dolphin is the superior file manager app, so I use those regardless of which desktop environment I'm on.

Alright cool thanks. I'll just stick to gnome because it does work for me, since like I said I don't use or care about any of the bundled gnome apps. I also don't like messing around with settings to fine tune details and would prefer something that "just works" and "looks okay" out of the box.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alright cool thanks. I'll just stick to gnome because it does work for me, since like I said I don't use or care about any of the bundled gnome apps. I also don't like messing around with settings to fine tune details and would prefer something that "just works" and "looks okay" out of the box.

KDE does look good(which is a matter of opinion) and does just work... it can just be tweaked to work better for you personally.

Also being able to choose between 5 different animations for minimizing a window is awesome.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even if you use any/some of the Gnome or KDE apps you can still use the other DE. With that being said, both DEs are on the heavy side. There are many lighter desktops out there (XFce, cinnamon or lxqt among others).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Qt based DEs are more Windows like in appearance and functionality. Like the old days where you'd go to Settings with certain programs and millions of checkboxes, dropboxes and tabs would vomit all over your screen so that you can configure every possible thing, like if the About Box should remember its screen positioning when you close it or not . And thus KDE was founded.

On the other side "what if we made it like Mac OS, but not as intuitive and hid very important settings to frustrate power users" is the basis of Gnome.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I come from a lifetime of using macs so I guess that’s why gnome is fine and feels “like home?”

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I come from a lifetime of using macs so I guess that’s why gnome is fine and feels “like home?”

I never gave KDE a second thought for 10 years or so, but I have to say after installing Kubuntu i like it a lot. I like a taskbar instead of the thingy on the side.

I recompiled my kernel using this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/163298/whats-a-simple-way-to-recompile-the-kernel
These steps worked for me and now I am running 4.13 with the NPT patch and PCI reset patches on my ThreadRipper. Yay. Thanks for the help.

Since when is Linux installed with a swapfile instead of a swap partition?
The only thing missing right now is hibernation, would it be possible to get hibernation working and it also working with a running VM?

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 8, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-suspend.service.html

Basically if you're on systemd just type 'systemctl hibernate'.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Sheep posted:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-suspend.service.html

Basically if you're on systemd just type 'systemctl hibernate'.

Yeah I read that, but them saying "Did all your applications show up again? That means it works. If not, well....." did not fill me with confidence of it working. Especially because of my swapfile being only 2GB and I have 32GB of RAM in this system.
I'll give it a go.

And another thing, can I say how awesome KVM, Qemu and Libvirt are? GPU passthrough is really something else in combination with lookingglass.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I used MacOS on a work provided laptop (Macbook pro might have been?) for 6 months at one point (2012 or so). After 6 months I had to give it back. There are probably a lot of things MacOS UI is, but it isn't:
- intuitive
- work friendly

In all my 6 months of struggling with that junk, I don't think there were 5 minutes passing by without me asking in vain: "who the gently caress thought that X was a good idea?". X varied from the Finder behaviour, terminal behaviour, application X behaviour, UI as a whole behaviour. And it has no settings to speak of (just like Gnome). Either you like it (suck it up) or you don't. I could change the wallpaper - whoopee.
Hardware-wise it was fine (other than the keyboard, it was a laptop afterall) . The UI they slapped on top of Darwin/FreeBSD was mindbogglingly wrong in every way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eh, when it was new OSX was a big loving deal because KDE and Gnome were barely usable pieces of poo poo and hardware support on laptops was a colossal chore for linux. Having a posix backed system with a polished UI and all hardware under full support (well, all hardware that Apple sold) was a goddamn luxury.. there's a good reason they became the laptop of choice where I'm at (which is 100% linux administration).

It's certainly not as pristine as it once was, there's a lot of feature bloat, but it's not hard to ignore all of it if you want to. Install Chrome and iTerm and there's nothing else you need out of it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasn't the OSX ui built on KDE? I seem to recall hearing that they took KDE, changed the defaults, and removed most of the settings menus.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Wasn't the OSX ui built on KDE? I seem to recall hearing that they took KDE, changed the defaults, and removed most of the settings menus.

Not as far as I know. The only relation with KDE that Apple has/had was to take the KHTML engine and pop it into Safari and rename it WebKit (and barely give anything back, but that's another problem). The advantage of KHTML at the time (when compared with Gecko) was that it only had around 100k lines of code, making it much leaner and easier to integrate than the monster Gecko had become.

xzzy posted:

Eh, when it was new OSX was a big loving deal because KDE and Gnome were barely usable pieces of poo poo and hardware support on laptops was a colossal chore for linux. Having a posix backed system with a polished UI and all hardware under full support (well, all hardware that Apple sold) was a goddamn luxury.. there's a good reason they became the laptop of choice where I'm at (which is 100% linux administration).

It's certainly not as pristine as it once was, there's a lot of feature bloat, but it's not hard to ignore all of it if you want to. Install Chrome and iTerm and there's nothing else you need out of it.

Gnome 1 with Enlightenment and Gnome 2 were amazing. KDE 3,4 and 5 were quite good after the initial birthing stage.

Hardware-wise though, true, that was always a painful spot for linux with hardware manufacturers only making lovely windows drivers, broken ACPI implementations and so on. Nowadays though the situation is quite a bit better in terms of hardware supported, but is still isn't 100%. Probably will never be.

Edit2:
Actually xzzy, now it makes sense why in the windows thread you were so against people using wine for their windows apps needs: you never used linux on a desktop. As a day to day driver. Maybe you did in 1998 for a couple of hours, hit a snag then back to windows or Mac it was for you.

quote:

But I administer linux servers for a living
means jack poo poo and has absolutely no value whatsoever in the desktop world.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 8, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Volguus posted:

Not as far as I know. The only relation with KDE that Apple has/had was to take the KHTML engine and pop it into Safari and rename it WebKit (and barely give anything back, but that's another problem). The advantage of KHTML at the time (when compared with Gecko) was that it only had around 100k lines of code, making it much leaner and easier to integrate than the monster Gecko had become.
They gave everything back. The problem was that instead of actually submitting sane patches to KHTML, they waited until WebKit (then WebCore) was basically done, then tried to submit the entire diff between KHTML and WebCore as a monolith. Have fun with this, maintainers!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I just upgraded my laptop and now my old 2011 chromebook running Bodhi Linux is chilling. I'd like to turn it into a lowish-power file server/streaming center using an external HDD I have lying around

Is there some way I can keep the laptop running, with screen turned off, while the laptop is closed? Can I do this by fiddling with ACPI settings? Is it just a terrible idea?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

"when laptop lid closed" > do nothing
I'm sure every DE ever has a setting like that.

e: oh, bodhi is enlightenment. first, check power settings if the lid thing is there, then also hotkeys settings, there's an acpi category that has the lid thing.

Truga fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 11, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Marx Headroom posted:

I just upgraded my laptop and now my old 2011 chromebook running Bodhi Linux is chilling. I'd like to turn it into a lowish-power file server/streaming center using an external HDD I have lying around

Is there some way I can keep the laptop running, with screen turned off, while the laptop is closed? Can I do this by fiddling with ACPI settings? Is it just a terrible idea?

i wasn't able to find it in raspbian gui settings but this worked for me and since ubuntu seems to have a logind.conf file i would imagine it'd work too.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/52643/how-to-disable-auto-suspend-when-i-close-laptop-lid#52645

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Any recommendations on free backup software? I am looking for something that does differential backups and allows you to set retention policies. A web interface would be nice too. I am looking for something that runs as a service and just does it all automatically in the background.

I am going to try Burp later but curious what else I could try. I plan on storing the backup data to Amazon S3.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anybody had any success running full Linux “vms” using LXC?

Currently I’m running them under qemu with gpu passthrough, but this limits me to one guest.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to switch between VMs like they were TTYs (I.e Carl+alt+Fn). But I suspect running multiple X/wayland sessions against the same gpu and displays isn’t a thing.

[Edit] and has anybody had success running a tftp boot server to boot ISO’s over the network? Getting tired of dd’ing ISO’s to usb sticks.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 11, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Horse Clocks posted:

[Edit] and has anybody had success running a tftp boot server to boot ISO’s over the network? Getting tired of dd’ing ISO’s to usb sticks.

you could probably mount the iso and point your tftp server at the correct folders in it v0v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Horse Clocks posted:

[edit] and has anybody had success running a tftp boot server to boot ISO’s over the network? Getting tired of dd’ing ISO’s to usb sticks.

Here.

For some content, can anyone explain why support for TPM in the bootloaders is so bad? Seems like by now grub should support measured boots, but for whatever reason that isn't the case and instead gave rise to projects like TrustedGrub, mjg's patches for grub/shim, etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 12, 2018