Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like how modern superhero movies need to have ridiculously buff bodies. Why are actors eating chicken and broccoli for 7 months and doing Crossfit 5 hours a day for a dumb movie? What happened to normal looking heroes like Jason Bourne. There's no reason for Star Lord to be so buff. If he's a Harrison Ford ripoff then he should have the same physique as Harrison Ford in the 80s. He looked good but didn't have veins popping out of his arms.

There's a really interesting article from a few years back about how the "ideal" look for an action hero has changed over the years (natural in the 70s, bulky in the 80s, leaner in the 90s, super fit now), and how much pressure it puts on actors and especially stunt doubles.

4 years ago Michael B Jordan posted:

Michael B. Jordan, who got his break as The Wire’s sensitive kid Wallace and raised his profile in last year’s Fruitvale Station, knows he needs to be able to bulk up on command if he wants to break into the A-list. “You’ve gotta be ready to take off your shirt,” he says...“They want to blow you up and put you in a superhero action film. Being fit is so important. . . . The bar has been raised.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone like Aquaman looks like a walking meat stick beef burger.
Counterpoint: most of the women I've met have a gigantic lady-boner for the dude.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Christopher Reeves looks good as Superman and so does Michael Keaton as Batman.

Michael Keaton did not look good as Batman

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Christopher Reeves looks good as Superman and so does Michael Keaton as Batman. So did Val Kilmer and George Clooney. They just looked like fit and healthy dudes and actually look relatable. Basically like peak level athletes. Someone like Aquaman looks like a walking meat stick beef burger.

e: most importantly, I'm sick of TV interviews asking them how they got into such great shape. It's the same loving thing every time. They eat lots of lean meat and fish and broccoli and then work out all day every day and yes it's boring.

I choose to believe that Chris Pratt just stopped drinking beer

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mind the walrus posted:

Counterpoint: most of the women I've met have a gigantic lady-boner for the dude.

Yeah and I had a boner for Jenna Jameson's huge tits but I don't want heroes like Wonder Woman to look like that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm fine with how modern superheroes look, getting fit is good, getting huge is good. I believe that the requirement to add 30 pounds of muscle to play a superhero should apply to women as well.

female superheroes should have bodies like this

Guy Goodbody has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Mar 8, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

e: most importantly, I'm sick of TV interviews asking them how they got into such great shape. It's the same loving thing every time. They eat lots of lean meat and fish and broccoli and then work out all day every day and yes it's boring.

They say this because they can't come out and say they took drugs.

Which they have to be in order to get in shape before cameras start rolling. There's a limit to how quickly anyone can progress without chemical assistance, and studios need assurances.

Working out all day every day is counter-productive for normal people. The 300 workout is bullshit. Eating clean only matters if you normally eat garbage (with bad macros). Steroids (and associated compounds) are literally magic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
i just don’t like how actors are held up as fitness ideals. It is just not feasible for most people who aren’t getting paid millions to be ripped as that. Normal people can’t afford personal trainers and chefs, and plus it’s not rrally made clear that you have to bulk/cut cycle to look like that. A huge, shredded physique like what hollywood portraya is usually a dude intentionally dieting and likiting fluids to make the cut just for shoot days. Plus, imo random fit dudes at the gym are usually hotter than hollywood marble statue gods.

We should bring back longass foofy titles for nations’ heads of state, even if they aren’t monarchs. Barack Obama, President of the American States, Overlord of the Columbian District, Supreme Denfender of the American Continents and of Korea, First Lord of Illinois, Arch-Son of the Kenyans and of the Hawaiians, Commander of the Seas and of Afghanistan, &c &c

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Mar 8, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Personal trainers and competent chefs don't help produce good physiques.

Tasty food and routines built around keeping your business long-term and not getting sued should you get injured are enemies of proper progress.

Any normal person can get 90% of the way to a modern Hollywood/magazine physique with 3-5 hours a week in the gym, and an uncomplicated diet. You just need to have kept it up consistently for a few years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Tasty food and routines built around keeping your business long-term and not getting sued should you get injured are enemies of proper progress.

Any normal person can get 90% of the way to a modern Hollywood/magazine physique with 3-5 hours a week in the gym, and an uncomplicated diet. You just need to have kept it up consistently for a few years.

Which is significantly more challenging when it isn’t your full-time seven digit paycheck

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sassassin posted:

Yeah, they do. Stunt performers turn to drugs more often than actors because they have to be in basically the same shape as the person they're doubling for but don't have access to the same resources.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sassassin posted:

And if you're an actor who can't be shredded all the time for movies, yet jump back into being shredded 1/3 of the year on-demand, you augment that with drugs.

I'm not knocking it either. They're not professional athletes, and they presumably have access to better fitness doctors and pharmacists than most people. As long as they're using them safely, what the gently caress ever. Plus they target their "glamour" muscles more often than not-- lats, glutes, chest, arm, plus a cut to get the abs showing. Check out their quads some time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iron Man never takes his shirt off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neither does Wonder Woman which doesn't seem fair.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He does a few times because it's a good way to show the arc reactor in his chest.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He does a few times because it's a good way to show the arc reactor in his chest.

Iron Man hasn’t taken his shirt off in five years.

Peee-yew

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm fine with how modern superheroes look, getting fit is good, getting huge is good. I believe that the requirement to add 30 pounds of muscle to play a superhero should apply to women as well.

female superheroes should have bodies like this

coming from my wife, you gotta balance some poo poo or use chems to keep fat deposits on the chest while going lean everywhere else. I am not doubting the results, just the methods used.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a really interesting article from a few years back about how the "ideal" look for an action hero has changed over the years (natural in the 70s, bulky in the 80s, leaner in the 90s, super fit now), and how much pressure it puts on actors and especially stunt doubles.

Pictured: actual action movie star from the 70s:

Aphrodite posted:

This was RDJ about 10 years ago:

I think RDJ has been genuinely into fitness and healthy living ever since he got clean. Does martial arts recreationally, that kind of thing. I remember one interview they did together where Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie all agreed that RDJ could probably beat them all up in real life.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Which is significantly more challenging when it isn’t your full-time seven digit paycheck

If I had moviestar money I'd have far less healthy hobbies.

No amount of chicken and broccoli could undo the damage.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

sassassin posted:

If I had moviestar money I'd have far less healthy hobbies.

No amount of chicken and broccoli could undo the damage.

We're all Marlon Brandos.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You know what that's probably not true. If I wanted to be a big fat party animal I would be regardless of how much money I make.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Yeah that kind of lifestyle doesn't require being rich necessarily. The main difference being rich would make is you can upgrade to liquor in glass bottles instead of plastic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m speaking more to the motivation angle, being a fat lazy slob ain’t as appealing when there’s millions of dollars you can make being Buff Marvel Man vs being Jonah Hill or that dude from Lost. Plus you get long periods of not having to work which makes maintaint consistency much easier imo, you can make the gym your “work” except its only at most a few hours a day and you need way less than that

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been off work since last July and keeping up a consistent routine of anything has been difficult. It was a lot easier when a 9-5 behind a desk took up a chunk of my week. Too easy to procrastinate, push things back and/or veg out and binge watch poo poo now.

The people who want it will usually be able to make time for it (obviously not all jobs/lives/responsibilities are made equal). The buff Marvel men are taking advantage of modern medicine more than an abundance of free time, and the casting directors know full well they don't need to pick the guy with the best starting physique. A physical transformation for a role is all part of the marketing anyway.

Jonah Hill made bank being the obese weirdo. And if someone wanted him to be Wolverine he would get there with three months of "chicken" and "broccoli".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For a person who is already reasonably active but doesn't specifically work out, taking modern steroids and doing nothing else differently is more effective than going to the gym regularly. They're magic now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And they look weird. I genuinely think Wolverines sinewy muscles in the last couple movies look gross. Daniel Craig has the same thing going and his tiny tight suits make him look like a Rob Liefeld cartoon. Pierce Brosnan supremacy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen were both skinny for a brief period and it's weird to look back on. It's even commented on in Funny People (which in my PHUO is a very good movie)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen were both skinny for a brief period and it's weird to look back on. It's even commented on in Funny People (which in my PHUO is a very good movie)

I didn't hate the movie but it just seemed to go all over the place. Like I remember the main plot, but there was so much other stuff going on that didn't seem to matter at all. also for a movie called funny people there wasn't a whole lot of being funny.

I prefer my adam sandler movies to be more straightforward, like happy gilmore and billy madison. At least they have a single clear message and are also actually funny.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you’re fat, and people like you, and then you lose a significant amount of weight, people like you less. This is demonstrably proven. Yes, they are happy for you and know it’s a much healthier lifestyle for you, but they still prefer the old fatter you. Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Newman, John Goodman, the other fat dude you know, there’s a pattern that holds true and never deviates. This is why I refuse to lose even a single pound.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Fat people only have friends so that their friends can feel better about themselves by comparison. So that checks out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

If you’re fat, and people like you, and then you lose a significant amount of weight, people like you less. This is demonstrably proven. Yes, they are happy for you and know it’s a much healthier lifestyle for you, but they still prefer the old fatter you. Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Newman, John Goodman, the other fat dude you know, there’s a pattern that holds true and never deviates. This is why I refuse to lose even a single pound.

I've seen this happen and I think it's because suddenly all they can talk about is how much weight they've lost and how their diet is going and at some point it just feels like they are judging you for ordering something that isn't a bowl of un-dressed lettuce for dinner. If you're going to lose weight, good for you but if you want to keep your friends don't be so drat smug about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Make new, better friends in the gym.

It's honestly the friendliest environment I've ever spent lots of time in. Normal, out of shape people (hereafter referred to as "mole people") are so bitchy and mean compared to your average gym bro.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

it's an idea very related to what subgenres happen to be popular at least in the post-70s; before most action movie heroes were everyman by default since they'd be following the lives of more regular but still infamous cowboys, mobsters, soldiers, astronauts, etc in more usual but interesting circumstances tho irregularly you'd have a film about larger than life myths like hercules or tarzan where filmakers tried casting the swolest actor available, the 80s saw the rise of more larger than life heroes like conan or rambo since filmakers could handle more intense, over-the-top action sequences and those sorts of actors were a good fit for those roles - there was a partial assist by the influx of professional sportsmen/body builders transitioning their athletic retirement into movie careers as well, with the catch that sometimes these guys couldn't act very well but who cares - but keep in mind more regular heroes never went away, buddy cop movies became very popular after 48 hrs

in the 90s the everyman hero made a return in being the more popular subgenre and we saw regular-ish dudes like detectives, egyptologists, cardiologists, programmers, paleontologists, etc thrust into more exceptional circumstances instead of people who were already exceptional, nowadays our action movie heroes are usually larger than life superheroes since that's been popular a while so we're back to more extreme fitness with a smidge more of a neater balance between hiring the swolest guy around and hiring someone who can act the part because these films are all massive investments

sometimes the lines get blurred a little since popular action movie actors can leverage their success into securing other roles and sometimes filmakers have to 'settle' for the other guy like getting bruce willis instead of arnold for die hard or getting keaton instead of a proper action star like studios originally wanted for batman, fictional characters like james bond can sometimes transition from being a spy to being the spy in the public's imagination and that can change their physical image

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ford was way better looking than Pratt. Pratt is still really good looking, but Ford didn't need big muscles to be a heart throb. Without muscles Pratt just looks like your kinda good looking bartender.

Go back and watch ford in temple of doom. Dude is loving jacked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

sometimes the lines get blurred a little since popular action movie actors can leverage their success into securing other roles and sometimes filmakers have to 'settle' for the other guy like getting bruce willis instead of arnold for die hard or getting keaton instead of a proper action star like studios originally wanted for batman, fictional characters like james bond can sometimes transition from being a spy to being the spy in the public's imagination and that can change their physical image

Curiously enough, Connery was a bodybuilder before he was Bond, but quit after he got the job.

There's an anecdote Michael Gambon has about being invited to audition in the 1970 before Connery came back and declining because he thought he was too fat:

quote:

During the casting for Diamonds Are Forever in 1970, Gambon was summoned by Cubby Broccoli, along with a handful of other stage actors, to interview for the part of 007.

"I said, I can't play James Bond, because I'm bald, I've got a double chin and I've got girl's tits," he told RTE's Ryan Tubridy. "So he said, well, so has Sean Connery, so we put a wig on him, and we put two big leather bags full of ice on his chest before the take. And then a man comes in just before the action and takes the bags off and then Connery has a beautiful flat chest and he has false teeth and all that.

"He said, 'you could well do it.' But he didn't offer it to me!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

That's only true for the jolly fat guy archetype, though, isn't it. If you are the self loathing kind of fat guy, your social life is going to get better.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Crossposting this, partially as an excuse to spread the video

MizPiz posted:

If there's one group that NEEDS to be opposed with violence, it's ICE

https://twitter.com/RunGomez/status/971859411172864001?s=19

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You could at least try and attach an unpopular opinion to it if you're going to post it in this thread in particular.

e: here's mine: ICE is just doing their job. There is nothing in the law that says "if they are a nice person with a family that would be harmed by us enforcing the law, just let it slide". Focus your rage on the lawmakers, not the people whose only job is enforcing the law.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Mar 9, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You could at least try and attach an unpopular opinion to it if you're going to post it in this thread in particular.

e: here's mine: ICE is just doing their job. There is nothing in the law that says "if they are a nice person with a family that would be harmed by us enforcing the law, just let it slide". Focus your rage on the lawmakers, not the people whose only job is enforcing the law.

Willingly joining ICE in the first place makes you an evil person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Indeed, the SS are just doing their job, and should be respected as hard working patriots.

Indeed, the Auschwitz chamber operators are just following protocol, and we should be sympathetic to them.

Indeed, yeah i eat rear end is a colossal piece of poo poo.