Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aquaintence married a korean man. Turns out the wife of a Korean first born son gets the privilege of taking over making all the goddamn side dishes Koreans make for everything until her son marries and she gets to dump those responsibilities onto the new daughter in law. Now shes up 5am everyday doing 2-3 hours of food prep work because a spine is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Do Americans just get a lot of practice rebelling in puberty / genetically lack filial piety or something? I like my in laws fine but I can’t imagine any reaction but telling them to gently caress off in a situation like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Man I would advise people not to get a PhD even if they were planning on using it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Do Americans just get a lot of practice rebelling in puberty / genetically lack filial piety or something? I like my in laws fine but I can’t imagine any reaction but telling them to gently caress off in a situation like that.

We just dont have consistent cultural practices regarding it and how it should be done so its hard to feel like society expects it of you and, in general, our dominant culture of white people have basically none.

Also such burdens fall on women almost unilaterally so most men never find out about it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A PhD basically advertises that you either don’t value yourself or you value yourself waaaayyyy too much.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I’m so glad I’m just marrying into a moderately observant Jewish family after being raised in an environment of “atheists who think Christmas is awesome”.

My in laws and I have talked about this multiple times and they know I’m not going to magically believe in god or anything, but that I enjoy and respect their traditions and want my future kids to have the best of all worlds and make up their minds later :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Christmas owns gently caress the haters

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

andrew smash posted:

yeah american cultural myths and narratives involve a lot of leaving your home to find your fortune aka your parents are not expected to be part of your life narrative necessarily

that and a lot of the idea of "teen culture" in the west is an american cultural innovation so we commodified the aspect of sticking it to the man / your parents in a way that doesn't really exist elsewhere in the world

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Pick posted:

Christmas owns gently caress the haters

My mother in law specifically asked to come to my parents tree decorating event this year, because she loves Christmas like whoa while still keeping her kitchen kosher.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Barudak posted:

I worked at a place where the CEO had a meltdown infront of the entire company about how they didnt believe in work/life balance because work is life and I was gone about three weeks later

Yeah, Tesla is hosed up.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bamabalacha posted:

My mother in law specifically asked to come to my parents tree decorating event this year, because she loves Christmas like whoa while still keeping her kitchen kosher.

This is a big thing in lots of Muslim countries too.
When I went to North Cyprus I saw public Christmas tree displays right across the street from mosques.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just lol if your family is so lame as to stay in the same country for more than a generation at a time.

Bamabalacha posted:

Include her by giving her a little Jewish themed tree ornament (star of David or a miniature multi-candle things) for her to put on the tree and she'll love you forever.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 8, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is a really hot Jewtake here but I hate the phrase "Happy Holidays"

because everyone always uses it as a Magic Inclusiveness Bullet and it's really not. The always, like, decorate something with like tinsel and holly and pine trees and mistletoe and nutcrackers and candy canes and Santa Claus and elves and sleighs and reindeer and nativity scenes and Baby Jesus and adult Jesus and Jesus dying on the cross, but it's ok, we didn't actually SAY Christmas so this covers everyone, everyone is included by this because we said "holidays," why are you complaining, you malcontent, shut up and get out of the way

Don't piss up my leg and tell me it's raining, if you mean Merry Christmas just save me the headache and say Merry Christmas :colbert:

A single pity dreidel in the corner may or may not make me feel any better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unironically, the religiously neutral American variant of Christmas is probably the best thing anybody living on this helacious continent has done since somebody added spicy peppers to their food.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

andrew smash posted:

Some cultures have totally different value systems, nothing genetic of course. But when it comes to totally not giving a poo poo about family america is probably #1 while a lot of asian cultures are the polar opposite but it doesn't stop idiots from blindly marrying in without discussing their partner's expectations. Do they expect you to become a slave to your new in-laws and have them move in with you? Do they have any insane and dangerous demands regarding any potential children's early childhood nutrition? Do they still have undue influence over your partner's career goals and lifestyle? How often will there be family visits and who will be paying? Will you be expected to "tithe" a portion of your income to send back to their parents, regardless of their need?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

what do you say to people as a greeting between dec 26 and new years tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

boner confessor posted:

Eyyy Im walkin over heeyeah!

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outrail posted:

Just lol if your family is so lame as to stay in the same country for more than a generation at a time.

Include her by giving her a little Jewish themed tree ornament (star of David or a miniature multi-candle things) for her to put on the tree and she'll love you forever.

Lol, my disabled little brother actually did this.

Everyone had a blast at the party, we ate a boatload of cookies in the shape of menorahs and Christmas trees and the moms got super hammered on martinis and talked about their favorite places to travel in Italy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

loquacius posted:

because everyone always uses it as a Magic Inclusiveness Bullet and it's really not.

When I was growing up in Massachusetts in the 70s it was understood to mean Christmas, New Year's, and Hanukah. Nowadays Fox News just uses it to help keep people outraged all year.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

boner confessor posted:

Happy new year

Alternatively happy December 27-30 by the Gregorian calendar

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

loquacius posted:

because everyone always uses it as a Magic Inclusiveness Bullet and it's really not. The always, like, decorate something with like tinsel and holly and pine trees and mistletoe and nutcrackers and candy canes and Santa Claus and elves and sleighs and reindeer and nativity scenes and Baby Jesus and adult Jesus and Jesus dying on the cross, but it's ok, we didn't actually SAY Christmas so this covers everyone, everyone is included by this because we said "holidays," why are you complaining, you malcontent, shut up and get out of the way

Don't piss up my leg and tell me it's raining, if you mean Merry Christmas just save me the headache and say Merry Christmas :colbert:

A single pity dreidel in the corner may or may not make me feel any better

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't use it as shorthand for Christmas. I just use it to avoid spending 2 minutes listing off Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and whatever holiday/s the person on the receiving end might observe. :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Are you disrespecting Kwanzaa? Because I had to do Kwanzaa against my will so you have to suffer too.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

TerminalSaint posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't use it as shorthand for Christmas. I just use it to avoid spending 2 minutes listing off Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and whatever holiday/s the person on the receiving end might observe. :shrug:

I use happy holidays when I don’t know the religion of the person I’m trying to be polite to, otherwise I get specific.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

My mom (50F) said she was embarrassed by my (17F) aspirations and things have been weird since.

NO DAUGHTER OF MINE IS GOING TO BE A SCIENTIST :argh:

This is insane even by economic standards because a skilled meteorology graduate is much more employable and has better job security than a dime-a-dozen law graduate. A meteorologist works more sane hours too!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
"Happy Holidays!" is great as a jew that celebrates Christmas.

Just kidding, it's great because my facebook relatives are war on Christmas people and I can't stand it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It really depends on how one sided things are with parents that have all these expectations on their kids. My wife is super close with her family, but they are proportionally very helpful and generous. I like that we live near them because they've done a lot for us over the years and never lorded it over us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is insane even by economic standards because a skilled meteorology graduate is much more employable and has better job security than a dime-a-dozen law graduate. A meteorologist works more sane hours too!

You're putting the onus of sanity on the mother. Which is ironically insane.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mllaneza posted:

When I was growing up in Massachusetts in the 70s it was understood to mean Christmas, New Year's, and Hanukah. Nowadays Fox News just uses it to help keep people outraged all year.

TerminalSaint posted:

Yeah this is what it's supposed to be, but it's always surrounded by signifiers for Christmas and nothing else

If you have pictures of a Christmas tree, a menorah, a New Year's ball, and a turkey or whatever, then sure, but it sees a lot of use as a fig-leaf over Christmas poo poo

Don't blow smoke up my rear end, either mean Happy Holidays or just say Merry Christmas

Barudak posted:

Eyyy Im walkin over heeyeah!

that's New York not Boston

boner confessor posted:

"Happy New Year" works fine for that time-frame

or

y'know

"hi"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TerminalSaint posted:

Same here, because in all honesty - it doesn't loving matter. People are gonna be pedantic twats that get upset or offended at the slightest little thing and I love annoying them. It's such a stupid, insignificant thing for anyone to get mad about and it's hilarious watching people freak out about it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Same here, because in all honesty - it doesn't loving matter. People are gonna be pedantic twats that get upset or offended at the slightest little thing and I love annoying them. It's such a stupid, insignificant thing for anyone to get mad about and it's hilarious watching people freak out about it.

I'm just mad because of the dishonesty, it feels condescending :colbert:

Like, I'm used to people saying "happy <thing you don't celebrate>", I'm Jewish. I just feel my intelligence is insulted by this one.

Outrail posted:

a miniature multi-candle things

c'mon man

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

loquacius posted:

I'm just mad because of the dishonesty, it feels condescending :colbert:

Like, I'm used to people saying "happy <thing you don't celebrate>", I'm Jewish. I just feel my intelligence is insulted by this one.

c'mon man

You know what I mean and it was quicker than googling it.

I don't know of a single Jewish person in my town and the jewish summer camp I worked at was over a decade ago. Why would I remember the name for a fancy candle stick?

E: Actually, in town I know of one catholic and no practicing Christians. Noone gives a gently caress about religion unless there's presents and there's no presents under the candlestickthat I know of.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 8, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

boner confessor posted:

1998 in pc gaming:

descent: freespace
starcraft
unreal
fallout 2
grim fandango
half life
thief
baldurs

Jesus that was a good year. I didn’t realize all those were the same year.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Christmas is great. poo poo, I'm a Muslim and I go to my family Christmas and participate. I'm lucky to live in the US where it is possible to do an almost entirely secular Christmas.

Also, I love this thread because it enables me to avoid reading the actual Reddit sub to find good reading material for the bathroom at work. Usually I'm too far behind to comment on things in a relevant fashion though :saddowns:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [29M] girlfriend [27F] is a middle school teacher. I think she may be involved in some bullying. What can I do?

quote:

I can't go to anyone in real life with this issue because I'm scared of word spreading before I know exactly what to do.

So I've been with my gf for 4 years. We've been talking about getting married sometime soon, possibly this year.

My gf teaches at a public middle school in our city. She's been here for only 1-ish year now.

So when she comes home every day she'll tell me about her students, her class, etc. I've noticed over the past few months that she has some "favorites" in the class. Basically kids who always hang around her because she's the cool, young teacher in the school who treats them like adults.

A few weeks ago she started mentioning this one kid, Allen, who is apparently not as popular with others. She complains about how he seems lazy in her class, how he doesn't seem especially bright, and how she dreads having to do one-on-one work with him (he goes to her for help sometimes). I'm kind of taken aback because I've never heard her speak so negatively of a student before. I tried to remind her that her job is to teach, no matter who it is.

Last week she told me a story that really shook me and made me look at her differently. Apparently the popular kids that eat lunch with her often told her one day that they played a "prank" on Allen. During lunch one of them snuck up behind him and cut off a lock of his hair (he has really long hair). Somehow he didn't notice because it was a group of kids that surrounded him. Anyways, these kids went to my gf and asked if she could help them "complete" the prank. Basically they wanted her to comment to Allen in class that she likes his new haircut. One of the kids would then hold up the lock of Allen's hair in class to show him what they did.

I was shocked and told her that sounds incredibly awful especially since I was bullied in ms too and this sounds like some of the things I went through. She pretty much shrugged and told me I don't understand friendships in ms and how this is how they have fun with each other. I asked her if Allen is truly "friends" with the people that cut his hair, and she said not really because he's not friends with anyone. I told her that it's bullying then and she completely disagreed and told me I was being a busybody.

I am so shocked and honestly don't really know what to do. I am 100% certain this is bullying, not just some prank, and I'm really disappointed that my gf would participate. I kept asking her why she didn't find the prank mean and she said that she didn't think Allen minded. She said he just laughed and sat down. I don't know. What should I make of all of this? I know I wasn't there myself, but from the way she described it it just sounds really cruel and I'm so surprised my gf was involved in it as an adult and teacher.

Am I being a busybody for caring about this? Should I just let this be? Is there someone I should talk to? I can't really talk to any friends or family about this because I know word will spread quickly. I don't want to ruin my gf's reputation over nothing.

tldr Gf is a teacher in ms. Recently became the best liked teacher with the "popular" clique and they played a mean prank on a less popular student that gf never liked. I am really disturbed and am sure this is bullying but gf doesn't agree and thinks I'm being nosy. What can I do?

Teacher GF is now enamored with being one of the cool kids and will act monstrously to remain one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BOOTY-ADE posted:

There's only one group that has endless breathless news bulletins about the appalling war on their holiday. How is that group not the most fun to troll?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [29M] girlfriend [27F] is a middle school teacher. I think she may be involved in some bullying. What can I do?

Teacher GF is now enamored with being one of the cool kids and will act monstrously to remain one.

Cut off a chunk of her hair while she's sleeping. Ask her if she likes her new haircut.

It's basically suicide by cop/breakup by angry girlfriend but yeah she dumb not to see she's being a bitch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tell Allen's parents.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

As a teacher, that woman is a terrible person and should not be allowed in a school. Jesus.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [29M] girlfriend [28F] of 3 years is obsessed with becoming an Instagram Travel Inspo model, it's wearing me out

quote:

My GF has always liked travel (vacations twice a year, regular touristy stuff, etc.) but recently she's nosedived into the idea of becoming a professional Instagram travel "Influencer." She's now even considering buying hundreds of dollars in ads to promote her online brand and has offhandedly mentioned quitting her job to spend more time insta-blogging/taking pics.

Now she's not serious about quitting (I hope), but the time she's devoted to this endeavor is borderline obsessive. When she comes home, first thing she does is get on her laptop and start power-searching Skyscanner, Flightdrop, Cheapo air, and every other site/app/blog for flight deals to share with her "fans." Every weekend, she wants me to take pics of her in sundresses & bikinis for her to use on her page. We can barely eat dinner without her checking to see if her followers are up or if there's a new trending tag she should comment on.

Now I don't mean to sound unsupportive, but this whole idea is kinda preposterous to me. Not only is her audience is small (they all start small, sure) but my GF hasn't even TRAVELED since starting the page! She's just been posting local photos w/ obscure backgrounds and tagging them as other locations, hoping no one will notice. Plus, all of this time/research has been seriously stressing her out. I'd understand if this was a passion project and it wasn't about the money, but it really feels like she's just into the idea of traveling and not actually doing it. At our age, I just feel like this might be some kind of mid-life crisis or something?

We've been together 3 years and only left the country for vaca once or twice. When I bring up my concerns to her she feels like I'm attacking her, or says she's too stressed from work + this IG hobby to deal with me. We used to go on dates all the time but now it feels like the only time I get to spend with her is when I help her with this project, so I kinda feel obligated to go along with it.

TL;DR: GF wants to be an IG travel influencer, but doesn't even travel. How do I talk her down without crushing her dreams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Social media was a mistake