Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So actually Rogue Servitors can Uplift now, they can also genetically modify organics. This is nice because it's what I wanted from them and was surprised they couldn't originally. Definitely my favorite robots. We need to save the organics from themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Nevets posted:

Hey now, that's a 4 letter word in Paradox land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYqpgUts1cQ&t=40s

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Space Skeleton posted:

No matter what the ship AI is set to all my ships burn hard at the enemy fleet and end up in a big messy brawl.

there should be a little more going on than that but it is hard to see at times without zooming in really far.

1. the swarm is the center of the messy brawl. anything set to swarm goes here unless there aren't enough opposing swarm ships to stop them from advancing.

2. the picket is hard to distinguish sometimes but they are set back slightly from the swarm. they weave back and forth horizontally in a covering pattern, and if they're equipped with PD they attempt to intercept missiles or strike craft aimed at the line and artillery. if your swarm falters, the picket will start getting swarmed.

3. the line is generally pretty easy to see. these ships hang back well behind the picket and snipe into the swarm, or at the opposing picket and line.

4. the artillery is just the line but even further back.

to get these behaviors working completely as intended, it's important that your weapon range matches the role range. ships will close to the range of their shortest-range weapon basically always.

so, the swarm can mount anything, though the actual stat bonuses indicate that this is a role intended for small-only kinetic + energy corvettes, and also this is the type of ship you want to have in there anyway so that your swarm can actually hold back the enemy swarm through sheer numbers while trying to hollow out the enemy swarm directly. the picket can also mount anything and is kind of the jack-of-all-trades position, personally this is where i put missile corvettes, and also strike craft + PD cruisers when i bother to use those. the line is intended for the usual range of medium weapons; this means that, for example, if you use a destroyer with 2 medium weapons and a small weapon, your small weapon selection is actually restricted to the long-range smalls (standard lasers & guns usually) if you want it to act as part of the line, which is a good place for destroyers. the artillery has the same range-matching issue for cruisers, but with large & medium weapons instead, while artillery battleships can mount all large weapons and thus hang way back.

it's pretty complicated and the formations do fall apart during battle as one side or the other gains the advantage in the swarm. also, if you jump in right on top of the other fleet or they jump in right on top of you, all of this goes out the window and it's just a huge swarm from the start

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 8, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ST New Horizons is dope as hell but it really makes me wish there was a Babylon 5 TC in the works. Or hell, even a ships + icons + portraits mod.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have a hivemind empire as a protectorate of mine, and I see that I can click the "Integrate" button on them.

.....but..... won't that make their entire species self-terminate, since I'm not a hivemind?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

No matter what the ship AI is set to all my ships burn hard at the enemy fleet and end up in a big messy brawl. I kinda see them trying to make formations/lines based on their individual AI but that doesn't last very long into a battle.

I dunno, artillery is pretty clearly far back, line/picket a bit more up, and swarm circles all over.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

there should be a little more going on than that but it is hard to see at times without zooming in really far.

1. the swarm is the center of the messy brawl. anything set to swarm goes here unless there aren't enough opposing swarm ships to stop them from advancing.

2. the picket is hard to distinguish sometimes but they are set back slightly from the swarm. they weave back and forth horizontally in a covering pattern, and if they're equipped with PD they attempt to intercept missiles or strike craft aimed at the line and artillery. if your swarm falters, the picket will start getting swarmed.

3. the line is generally pretty easy to see. these ships hang back well behind the picket and snipe into the swarm, or at the opposing picket and line.

to get these behaviors working completely as intended, it's important that your weapon range matches the role range. ships will close to the range of their shortest-range weapon basically always.

so, the swarm can mount anything, though the actual stat bonuses indicate that this is a role intended for small-only kinetic + energy corvettes, and also this is the type of ship you want to have in there anyway so that your swarm can actually hold back the enemy swarm through sheer numbers while trying to hollow out the enemy swarm directly. the picket can also mount anything and is kind of the jack-of-all-trades position, personally this is where i put missile corvettes, and also strike craft + PD cruisers when i bother to use those. the line is intended for the usual range of medium weapons; this means that, for example, if you use a destroyer with 2 medium weapons and 2 small weapons, your small weapon selection is actually restricted to the long-range smalls (standard lasers & guns usually) if you want it to act as part of the line, which is a good place for destroyers. the artillery has the same range-matching issue for cruisers, but with large & medium weapons instead, while artillery battleships can mount 2 large weapons and thus hang way back.

it's pretty complicated and the formations do fall apart during battle as one side or the other gains the advantage in the swarm. also, if you jump in right on top of the other fleet or they jump in right on top of you, all of this goes out the window and it's just a huge swarm from the start

Thanks for this post!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Magil Zeal posted:

So actually Rogue Servitors can Uplift now, they can also genetically modify organics. This is nice because it's what I wanted from them and was surprised they couldn't originally. Definitely my favorite robots. We need to save the organics from themselves.

There is nothing finer in this Universe than bringing a race to the stars then immediately sitting them down in front of the television.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have a hivemind empire as a protectorate of mine, and I see that I can click the "Integrate" button on them.

.....but..... won't that make their entire species self-terminate, since I'm not a hivemind?

I think you can get a tech to let you assimilate hive mind pops into regular pops.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Chiming in late here to say that the Dyson sphere seems like the biggest boondoggle out of all the endgame megastructures. Everything else at least serves a purpose, but by the time I can build a Dyson Sphere I can already field a 1,000 fleet cap navy and not really give a poo poo about the energy costs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think you can get a tech to let you assimilate hive mind pops into regular pops.

You're still murdering the hive mind, monster.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Chiming in late here to say that the Dyson sphere seems like the biggest boondoggle out of all the endgame megastructures. Everything else at least serves a purpose, but by the time I can build a Dyson Sphere I can already field a 1,000 fleet cap navy and not really give a poo poo about the energy costs.

According to a tweet the 1000 naval capacity hard cap is going to be removed next patch.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Voyager I posted:

Maybe I'm just worse at the game, but I find myself building Dyson Spheres long before reaching the fleet cap. All that extra energy is great for powering more resource replicators.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Magil Zeal posted:

According to a tweet the 1000 naval capacity hard cap is going to be removed next patch.

:hellyeah:

That's really awesome

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Is there a way to set the default behaviour of reinforcing ships to evasive? I don't want them getting bogged down fighting some no mark pirates, I want them fighting who I tell them to fight :mad:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

You're still murdering the hive mind, monster.

Eh, it's more like putting it into a few billion boxes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm sure this was answered already, but there is 0% chance that Mastery of Nature would erase my precious wandering forests, right? Big fan of those guys.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is there some trick to wiping out marauders? I have gone through and cleaned out their systems, killing everything. But they also have an 8.1k strength neutral fleet that respawns whenever I attack and kill it. I got the pop up that they were wiped out, so I am thinking maybe it's a bug because they are on a contract?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mountaineer posted:

Maybe I'm just worse at the game, but I find myself building Dyson Spheres long before reaching the fleet cap. All that extra energy is great for powering more resource replicators.

If you still working on non-victory lap projects, there are probably more direct ways to make use of 260,000 Minerals.

VV The Matter Replicators seem like a decent potential sink, but without them I'm making more credits than I can spend, while also lavishing my subjects, friends, and random passers-by with more credits than they can spend. Edicts and Traders have a tiny, tiny throughput compared to what a late game economy with a Dyson Sphere on top of it pumps out VV

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 8, 2018

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Voyager I posted:

There are some habitat structures that convert energy into minerals. If you've got access to a trading enclave you can also trade energy for minerals 2:1.

Then there's the various enclave buffs, energy edicts, leader cycling/replacement and good old fashioned bribes (all of which I assume you're already doing). I find there are plenty of good things to spend an energy surplus on these days.

BurlapNapkin fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 8, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At that 2:1 ratio, how many months does it take for the sphere to pay back what you invested in it?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Let me just start up a fanatical purifier game.

Doo doo starting resear....

:getin:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Sextus Manlius is a great name for a purifier.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

At that 2:1 ratio, how many months does it take for the sphere to pay back what you invested in it?

If you fully trade all 1000 energy that it produces every month it will take 80 months or a bit less then 7 years.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm sure this was answered already, but there is 0% chance that Mastery of Nature would erase my precious wandering forests, right? Big fan of those guys.

In situations like this I make a copy of my save folder and just try it out. If your choice doesn't work as expected, simply copy back your old save. It also works for ironman games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

only then you have to commit space seppuku for violating the iron man oath.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also worth noting about artillery: while it's a useful behavioral setting, all range bonuses are currently broken so the artillery doesn't actually hang back as far as it should or get off as many shots as it should before the swarms collide. this means that a potentially useful cruiser/battleship role, a small-weapon-focused gunship set to artillery to serve as a swarm-buster, is actually nonviable because they must get too close to the center and thus be exposed to the enemy line and artillery, which can burn them down pretty fast. i don't worry about that with my picket cruisers because honestly who cares, they're there just for the PD and because i do like seeing strike craft whizzing around sometimes even though they're bad (they're slightly less bad if their carrier ship is set to picket though as they close in faster)

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 8, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Completing a Dyson Sphere should automatically copy your empire into an FE template for a subsequent game. I don't think the devs really understand just what physically encapsulating a star would mean in terms of your absolute technological superiority over everyone else in the galaxy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am finally seeing my first War in Heaven and it is incredible. I've had so much fun I wrote up a little thing about it.

I'm playing as a Driven Assimilator race - The Borg Collective. They're, well. The Borg. Everyone hates me except the other machine empire (The OARR Animus) who have decided I'm pretty awesome. For the whole game it's been the two of us beating up our neighbors and generally being unrepentant assholes.

State of the Galaxy at the Opening of the War in Heaven

The Great Khan came and went without much happening since he died very quickly but it's created a bit of border gore you can see in the southwest. The Fanatic Materialist Quentil Directors were awakened when the nearby Fanatic Authoritarian (I think) Bebaki Autocracy got the idea to try and take some of their systems. Bad idea. Following that the Fanatic Xenophobe Zukakkan Reconquerers began to stir and the war was on, derailing my plans to strike the final blow against the Khan's remnant and my constant ugly bordered nemesis The Panuuri Accord.

Also note how the entire southeastern portion of the galaxy is largely unexplored. It was there that the sparks of war first flew.

The Last Alliance of Machines and Biologicals

In early 2427, two small Quentil and Zukakkan Leviathan hunter parties encountered each other near the wormhole of Ruqlar, both on the hunt for a rumored Stellar Devourer. No one is clear who shot first, but what began as a misunderstanding soon became an all-out war. With both Awakened Empires demanding loyalty an emergency meeting of the little used Council of the Stars was called. In this meeting the threat was made clear: the Awakened Empires would accept nothing but total submission from the rest of the galaxy. Debate raged into the night about which of the two the rest of the galaxy should side with, when suddenly the representatives from the Borg Collective and OARR Animus entered. Long-barred from meetings of the Council, their appearance was quite the shock. Even more stunning, the dreaded machine empires had a counter-proposition to the Awakened Empire's: join us instead as equal partners.

Outraged, the Bebaki representative threatened to walk out if any of the other galactic races considered the proposal and perhaps even war. But, seeing no real alternative the rest of the galaxy, save for the true pacifists of The Stellar Axis in the northeast agreed to the alliance, signing what became known as The Last Alliance of Machines and Biologicals.

The War Begins

Given the vast size of the Alliance, and facing two extremely powerful foes it was impossible to hope to defeat both at once. As a result, the Alliance determined that the Borg, OARR, and Great Khan remnants would attempt to defeat the Quentil Directors while the Panuuri fleet held fast against the Zukakkan.

This strategy would prove to be an utter failure. With almost no resistance, the Zukakkan broke through the Panuuri lines and have since been harassing their systems at will. Only the daring and bravery from the small remnant of the Panuuri fleet have kept the Zukakkan from striking deep into Panuuri territory.

Atrocities

Thanks to the combined fleet power of the Machine Empires, the war in the south was going much better, with Alliance forces managing to repel an offensive focused on the Khan's home planet of Opoke Roost in the Bir system from the Quentils in the opening days of the war. Losses were catastrophic however and despite winning the day, the Alliance fleet was forced to withdraw to the chokepoint at Dimm for repairs and resupply as Bir and its surrounding were deemed impossible to hold against another onslaught.

It would prove a costly retreat.

In late 2427, fragmented communications came in from Opoke Roost. Some sort of massive Quentil weapon had positioned itself above the planet and appeared to be making some sort of lattice. By the time the Alliance figured out what was happening and sortied the fleet back towards the Bir system, it was too late. Opoke Roost had been Sealed, forever cut off from the rest of galactic society. Not even the morally abhorrent Borg had done such a thing, despite their assurances that they could if they wanted to.

A Third Front

The Bebaki proved true to their word, and within a few months of the Sealing of Opoke Roost they had begun a campaign in earnest to take back the systems they felt the rest of the galaxy had stolen from them. Given the Alliance's preoccupation with the War in Heaven, this could prove a very lucrative strategy and yet it could doom the rest of the galaxy to live out its days under the thumb of an Awakened Empire, but currently it has done nothing other than divert OARR fleets away from the main battle lines to protect the flank connecting the OARR and Panuuri empires.

Desperate Times

Following the Sealing, the Quentils were unable to make further headway into former Khan space. The Dimm system had proved a tough nut to crack, but fortunately for the Quentils, a second route existed into Khan space. Not nearly as efficient as the Dimm path, it would still open up the Alliance front lines. By 2431 the so-called backdoor strategy appeared to be a success. The Quentils had carved up the Khan's space and looked to be on the poise of success. Another 2 worlds had been shielded and if the Quentils could force a decisive battle and destroy or cripple the Borg fleet, the Khans could certainly be rolled up and removed from the picture.

The Quentil fleet is massing in Golba. Sym and Nishpan have already been written off by Alliance High Command. The question now is: does the Alliance dare risk moving their fleet out away from Dimm, opening up the key refueling and resupply depot to attack, or do they leave the Khans to their fate?

:ohdear: I have no idea what to do. This is so much fun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fake e; ^^ Holy poo poo that's awesome. When Stellaris comes together it really comes together.

AtomikKrab posted:

Let me just start up a fanatical purifier game.

Doo doo starting resear....

:getin:

Nice and also "Origin of Sin" is a baller-rear end homeworld name :black101:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

:hellyeah:

That's really awesome

I mean it was kind of weird that they introduced the hard cap in 2.0 and then are going to remove it in 2.0.2.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Nah, don't believe so. However terraforming will remove it. Found this out in my spiritualist run where I terraformed all of my worlds to Gaia worlds for fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've been having a really bizarre game....I started off with that lump of Bird is the Word on the left. My homeworld is the farthest south star. I only have three colonies in that whole area (and four total). Then I got a wormhole out to the Bird is the Word blob in the center. I am still filling out the center spot - I had to rush to get to a chokepoint system so it looks funny right now.

I own all that space and can protect it with 7 systems; 3 into the area on the left, 3 into the area in the middle, and one wormhole into the area on the left. Its been a quiet but fun game.

I found the Cybrex homeworld/ringworld, it is going to be a pain in the rear end to try to get to and hold on to but I am going to try.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Haha that may be true, but I really like the RP elements of having my race come up as part of some intergalactic science experiment. I don’t play the game multiplayer, but I would like to try to give my race its best shot and maximize their world’s potential.

I play life seeded as stuck up technologists, so i try to rush droids and then colonize big planets with them and strip all the non research/unity gen from homeworld, so its left with unity, research, and empire uniques while the droids dig minerals and energy out of hellhole planets

Plan on ring of life and/or lucking into non holy gaia worlds

Sloober fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 8, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I don't suppose anyone knows of a cosmetic mod to fix the Ringworld gap introduced in 2.0? Preferably one that doesn't break Ironman?

My pretty ring worlds being flawed like this is killing me :negative:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Playing Determined Exterminators is really satisfying.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the War in Heaven is amazing. Playing as the UNE, I founded the League of Non-Aligned Worlds, and fought a decades-long war against the Spiritualist and Materialist AEs and their vassal swarm. I abandoned large parts of my empire I knew I couldn't defend effectively until I'd eliminated at least one of them, sending my fleets all the way round the galaxy to knock out the spiritualists first.

As I was cleaning up the last Materialist worlds, the Unbidden arrived. In the nick of time, I finished both the AEs off and their vassals transferred to my ownership. The league and my new vassals were now ready to face this new threat united. Except...

... I was still somehow at war with my new vassals. The game bugged out when I conquered both FEs and assumed the WiH was still running. This was, as you can imagine, rather disappointing.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tried to Galactica hot drop on top of a Sterilization Hub to destroy it since that particular zone was big enough where most of hte fleets were several lanes away. Managed to destroy the 300k defenders with heavy losses and begin bombardment. New fleet spawns and wipes me out. :eng99:

Jazerus posted:

so, the swarm can mount anything, though the actual stat bonuses indicate that this is a role intended for small-only kinetic + energy corvettes, and also this is the type of ship you want to have in there anyway so that your swarm can actually hold back the enemy swarm through sheer numbers while trying to hollow out the enemy swarm directly. the picket can also mount anything and is kind of the jack-of-all-trades position, personally this is where i put missile corvettes, and also strike craft + PD cruisers when i bother to use those. the line is intended for the usual range of medium weapons; this means that, for example, if you use a destroyer with 2 medium weapons and a small weapon, your small weapon selection is actually restricted to the long-range smalls (standard lasers & guns usually) if you want it to act as part of the line, which is a good place for destroyers. the artillery has the same range-matching issue for cruisers, but with large & medium weapons instead, while artillery battleships can mount all large weapons and thus hang way back.

This is really good and should be in the OP. Explains combat roles and weapon slot relationships perfectly.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This is really good and should be in the OP. Explains combat roles and weapon slot relationships perfectly.

Indeed. Jazerus, is there anything else you'd add before I put it in?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Indeed. Jazerus, is there anything else you'd add before I put it in?

just that my recommendations for which ships should go where are just one possible "doctrine", although probably one of the more simple yet effective ones out there especially given the range bug that currently affects artillery. there are many other combinations you could create, keeping in mind your goals:

1. break the enemy swarm with small weapons, and have enough swarm ships to occupy them until they're broken. small-only corvettes are the easy solution to both problems, but also won't be as good against the bigger ships once they do break through.

optional: shoot down missiles

2. kill the enemy line, and if necessary the artillery, with medium and large weapons, while trying to avoid exposing cruisers or battleships to the enemy line or artillery. that's often impossible and you'll end up with a slugfest, that's alright too.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I heard hangars and strike craft arent any good?