Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr. Nice! posted:

there's a smartphone app for those clicker things and it's free.

And we were prohibited from using it BECAUSE CELLULAR PHONES ARE THE DEVILS TOOLS USE ONE IN MY CLASS AND I WILL MURDER YOU TO DEATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i don't knwo what school you go to but my professors don't go bonkers over cell phones. they ask you to put it away. most of my upper level professors are of the mind that you can do what you want in class as long as you don't bother other people. it's your education and you pay to be there. and if there's a valid reason for using a cell phone they're all cool with it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Anything but my intro class professors didn't care.

And my intro class professors cared because the school needed to maintain a certain passing% for them otherwise the state would wonder what the gently caress is going on. So if a bunch of stupid teenagers spent their time looking at their phones and failed the intro classes it would be bad.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My professors care enough to ban all electronic in class. I like it better that way tbh. I always get distracted when a computer is out.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
My professors take cell phones seriously, mostly because my classmates are 17-year old pothead idiots who don't want to be there.

I can't say I blame them. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the ganja, but even I know it's not supposed to be used as aftershave.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am never sober for any class. If I need to knuckle up, I can, but most of the time it helps. Being sober leads to panic attacks and anxiety.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
22 units was not a good idea.

On the other hand, I did just get a date for drinks with a bank sales exec on the condition I can use her for an assignment in my organizational change class.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

TIL the only thing I hate more than writing papers on boring UN poo poo is getting put on the spot because your partner who TOTALLY GOT YOU FAM fell through and you have to bullshit some additions last second. On some real poo poo I could have just bought adderall, skypecalled a goon to keep me company, and smashed out some bullshit filler on a paper that was basically done. Entire weekend gone, 3 days past and all she did was add a line or two, change up some wording.

At least she's a cute sorority chick so I might as well try to bag.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Oh yeah, Columbia App is done and I'll know in May what the deal is.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
*repeatedly barfs into pile of Field Geology homework*

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
After six months of waiting I finally received my CoE and they left two deployments worth of time out of the calculation. Mother. Fucker! :argh:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey so how are scholarships worked if you are on Voc Rehab? My school offers a WSA for student media and I wanna know if I get that money or the school keeps it?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

In my case the school takes my money from FAFSA, etc. to pay tuition, fees, etc. Then when the VA pays them I have a negative balance on my account that gets refunded to me via check from the school.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I knew they did that with grants. Didn’t know scholarships too.

Sucks cause my GPA is 2.8 because of my first two semesters. That means I’m not eligible for a lot of them because I’m below that precious 3.0.

Thanks! Great news.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

I knew they did that with grants. Didn’t know scholarships too.

Sucks cause my GPA is 2.8 because of my first two semesters. That means I’m not eligible for a lot of them because I’m below that precious 3.0.

Thanks! Great news.

apply for scholarships anyway. you already don't have the money, so what's the worst that can happen?

if you have to write an essay, tell them how much of a success story you are given your fuckups early in your academic career, since it was difficult for you to transition from the military to the student lifestyle, but through perseverance you achieved the discipline necessary to become a successful student.

it won't work every time, but if you apply for enough it'll work eventually.

ask me how i know.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That's how I got accepted into business school

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

apply for scholarships anyway. you already don't have the money, so what's the worst that can happen?

if you have to write an essay, tell them how much of a success story you are given your fuckups early in your academic career, since it was difficult for you to transition from the military to the student lifestyle, but through perseverance you achieved the discipline necessary to become a successful student.

ask me how i know.

Do this. And make sure you tell a story of having overcome adversity and how you know where the pitfalls are and how to avoid them. Bonus if you are rejected you just reapply with the same stuff the next time with a better GPA.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

ask me how i know.

I’ll do this. I’ve got a few “todo” things first but shortly. I have imposter syndrome with those things. I don’t think I’ll ever get one.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That's how I got accepted into business school

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m going to apply for scholarships tomorrow. It’s my day off and I won’t be shooting sports this week because there are no home games.

I’m gonna ask for recommendation letters from the department I’m volunteering for.

Question: seeing that I’m active in a vet organization that deals with pot. Would you leave that volunteering out? Since some people would be like “ew gross, pot!”

Edit: you guys helped give me a reason to believe in myself, whether you realize or not. Thanks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm sure that they'll be reasonable and leave out the topic of pot. I mean, unless the club is literally named "Veterans for Mandatory Weed 4/20 EVERY DAY gently caress THE POLICE" I don't think it'll be an issue.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I think they are called The Weed Warriors or something though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you withdraw from a class do you have to refund the VA the money they paid the school? I'd like to withdraw from my multivariable calc class and retake it next semester rather than take the inevitable D or F.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mods change my name posted:

I think they are called The Weed Warriors or something though.

This. It’s the Weed For Warriors Project.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if they ask tell them it's about gardening.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

If you withdraw from a class do you have to refund the VA the money they paid the school? I'd like to withdraw from my multivariable calc class and retake it next semester rather than take the inevitable D or F.

depends on the date you withdraw and whether it's passed your school's withdraw date for X%
But the short answer is yes

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Well, I am now a member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, and the local Veterans club is bitter balls that I won't Volunteer to do their work for them join them.

They're family, but I really want them to gently caress off because I have enough poo poo going on...

Any advice?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Family doesn't equal loyalty. You didn't get to choose them.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah gently caress 'em if they're pissy about you doing poo poo to improve yourself beyond "suck my dick i'm a veteran" then like I said, gently caress em

*note I know nothing and am extremely wasted and antisocial

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If they mad about you now why in the blue gently caress would you want to voluntarily see them more?

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

I dunno, it just feels weird. The closest thing I can compare it to is my wife's school. She graduated and now every quarter her sorority and school are peddling for donations, as if she did not give them enough money already for a Masters degree.

Oh hey man! We saw you took advantage of the Priority registration and all the other Veterans assistance, How about you help us with our club that does nothing but sit around and poo poo on civilians all day!

I am pretty sure that the club consists solely of people who were recruiters, because they will not leave us the gently caress alone...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MrDesaude posted:

Well, I am now a member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, and the local Veterans club is bitter balls that I won't Volunteer to do their work for them join them.

They're family, but I really want them to gently caress off because I have enough poo poo going on...

Any advice?

As a “professional” volunteering my time, I would avoid these guys like the plague. It will never be enough.

People who solicit volunteers do so passively. Being aggressive really conflicts with volunteering.

I say “professional” because saying you’re a professional when you haven’t gotten paid for it (as a civilian) is stupid and iconoclastic of the word itself. I have been volunteering a lot of my time. The school newspaper has picked me up as a contributor. That came from me doing what I loved. Not because I paid my dues at some loving vet organization.

Edit: the criticism of professional was levied at myself. Not at you. That wasn’t an attack.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I've paid my dues

Time after time

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

mods change my name posted:

I've paid my dues

Time after time

I've done my sentence

But committed no crime

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

And bad mistakes

I've made a few

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face

But I've come through.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
And I need to go on and on and on and on

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Go on... thesis statement looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The worst thing about student veterans organizations is being in the same room with some ex NG Pog wearing a grunt style T-shirt about killing people. Then people seeing you together.

I used to work in the vets office at my college processing paperwork and was in the vets lounge often. It’s like the platoon office, only it’s full of people who aren’t your bro’s. Also they have bad political opinions and share them loudly.