Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

patonthebach posted:

In case anyone actually wants to comment on it and missed it...

https://www.bdsnet.de/downloads/study-firearms.pdf

https://ssaa.org.au/assets/news-res...by_firearms.pdf

Their conclusions were that poverty/income inequality were the common factors to having high homicide rates. Gun availability/ownership and tight gun regulations did not correlate with having a low homicide rate.

Since bringing up real world arguments with you result in discussions like "is America more like Jamaica or Western Europe?" I'm going to try a different tack. Imagine the world were like an RPG, and you get a piece of equipment that gives +5 to some stat. If you were to equip that, the most important factor in that stat is your character's stat to begin with, but there is still a clear benefit from the bonus.

In the same way, greater gun control won't affect firearm homicides sufficiently that the strongest correlation will be with anything other than poverty and income inequality (and those are issues which can also be worked on, even if we implement gun control regulations), but it doesn't matter because the important comparison is between the rates of firearm violence before and after gun control is implemented in the same place. That's how we determine if gun control is effective, and I have no idea why you keep bringing this study up, because it doesn't even pretend to address this, the most important issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

patonthebach posted:

In case anyone actually wants to comment on it and missed it...

https://www.bdsnet.de/downloads/study-firearms.pdf

https://ssaa.org.au/assets/news-res...by_firearms.pdf

Their conclusions were that poverty/income inequality were the common factors to having high homicide rates. Gun availability/ownership and tight gun regulations did not correlate with having a low homicide rate.
Okay what exactly do you want to discuss. There are more factors than just availability of guns that affect homicide rates across countries, also within a country enacting gun control reduces homicides compared to not doing it. This has all been gone over already, do you have something new to add.

E: I like how the first study conveniently excludes the USA, nothing suspicious about that

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 8, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PT6A posted:

Imagine the world were like an RPG, and you get a piece of equipment that gives +5 to some stat..
I wanna seduce the dragon

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I wanna seduce the dragon

You play your cards right and you might win an Oscar!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Bu...bu..but Jamaica :qq:

I love how he still refuses to address his Norway/Switzerland comparisons while ignoring the fact that these two countries, despite firearms ownership parallels, have stronger firearms regulations that we do.

I mean, you have to have a 3 month background check to buy AMMO!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CommieGIR posted:

Bu...bu..but Jamaica :qq:

I love how he still refuses to address his Norway/Switzerland comparisons while ignoring the fact that these two countries, despite firearms ownership parallels, have stronger firearms regulations that we do.

I mean, you have to have a 3 month background check to buy AMMO!

I also love the way he treats all forms of organized crime/"gangs" as if they're the same, as if there's no difference between street gangs in certain cities in the US and the sort of criminal organizations that are able to move automatic weapons and drugs in and out of Jamaica. It's really :discourse:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

It's almost like countries are different

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

patonthebach posted:

Cool, I'm glad the NRA spends their time and money and energy promoting policies that reduce poverty and inequality to make sure that gun owners aren't being unfairly stigmatized for a problem that's not actually related to their toys.

Oh, wait? They don't do that? In fact, they align with the party who's most interested in increasing poverty and inequality?

WELL I'LL BE DAMNED!

mobby_6kl posted:

...yeah? Not every single last one of course, there are always going to be some hardliners but on the whole I would bet it would help lower this kind of sentiments dramatically.

This seems painfully naive. You don't change people's crazy rear end conspiracy worldviews by making elections fairer, what in the gently caress are you on about?

I say "did you see Oregon?" because a man decided to "make a stand against the government" and got shot the gently caress up by the feds and died. Do you think he wouldn't have done that if gerrymandering had been fixed?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 8, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah why doesn't the NRA fix banking regulations. Also why doesn't MADD campaign for animal welfare and can the NFL please do something about Syria???

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's almost like countries are different

Its almost like people should stop using those loving comparisons, because Switzerland is a favorite among the Gun Rights group, and thats why he used that comparison, and that is why he is being called out for making it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah why doesn't the NRA fix banking regulations. Also why doesn't MADD campaign for animal welfare and can the NFL please do something about Syria???

Jesus loving christ, if you aren't even going to bother arguing in good faith, don't post.

NRA is a Gun Rights (well, Gun Manufacturer's Rights) group, so its within their wheelhouse to be called out for failing to help implement gun regulations and instead fighting against it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If MADD were pro drinking and driving, and responded to any attempt to curb it with "but what about all these other causes of accidents whatabout those huh", then "well why aren't you doing something about that and why are you allying with people trying to make all those causes even worse" would actually be a reasonable question to ask them.

Same if the NFL were supporting Assad and responded to any criticism of him with "well whatabout all the other causes of deaths in Syria, heart disease is a real killer u know"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 8, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

loving woooooooooooooooosh

CONTEXT motherfucker, do you understand it? Maybe look at the post I'm responding to?

:v: - "Actually, homicides are linked to inequality"

me - "Weird how the NRA isn't trying to lower inequality, thus lowering the homicide rate, and taking the heat off guns. In fact, they side with the GOP, a group who favors inequality"

:byodood: "WHY WOULD THE NRA WANT TO DO ANYTHING BUT FIGHT GUN CONTROL LAWS?"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its almost like people should stop using those loving comparisons, because Switzerland is a favorite among the Gun Rights group, and thats why he used that comparison, and that is why he is being called out for making it.

Jesus loving christ, if you aren't even going to bother arguing in good faith, don't post.

NRA is a Gun Rights (well, Gun Manufacturer's Rights) group, so its within their wheelhouse to be called out for failing to help implement gun regulations and instead fighting against it.
Nobody should try to be more like Switzerland.

Also the NRA is a conservative lobbying group that hates gun control. Why would you ever consider it "in their wheelhouse" to implement gun control?

Also it's a good lol that your issue with the NRA is i's failure to help implement the thing it exists to lobby against and not, you know, all the racism.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 8, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nobody should try to be more like Switzerland.

:colbert: Why not. You should probably emphasize, especially as its being sold as a Gun Rights paradise by people like patonthebach (and multiple other gun rights memes going around like this one:)

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Also the NRA is a conservative lobbying group that hates gun control. Why would you ever consider it "in their wheelhouse" to implement gun control?

Also it's a good lol that your issue with the NRA is i's failure to help implement the thing it exists to lobby against and not, you know, all the racism.

No, its completely reasonable to call out a group that actively fights gun safety legislation while screaming tinfoil hat conspiracy theories and threatening people not of their political persuasion through propaganda to the point that it makes them look like a terrorist group.

Stop making bad faith arguments.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Man being shown countless problems with NRA:

"lmao that you're showing off all of these problems when they actually have more problems. I am winning this argument."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Switzerland achieved universal sufferage in 1991.

Also super racist and the whole Nazi collaborators thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Switzerland achieved universal sufferage in 1991.

Also super racist and the whole Nazi collaborators thing.

Hey, us too! We should be friends!

Seriously, is all you do make bad faith arguments or shift the goal posts?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Hey dawg u asked

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

CommieGIR posted:

d&d.txt

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

it's one of the most xenophobic, regressive countries in europe. even their gun policies aren't that good since you could just ban guns

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

WampaLord posted:

loving woooooooooooooooosh

CONTEXT motherfucker, do you understand it? Maybe look at the post I'm responding to?

:v: - "Actually, homicides are linked to inequality"

me - "Weird how the NRA isn't trying to lower inequality, thus lowering the homicide rate, and taking the heat off guns. In fact, they side with the GOP, a group who favors inequality"

:byodood: "WHY WOULD THE NRA WANT TO DO ANYTHING BUT FIGHT GUN CONTROL LAWS?"

Well,
the NRA's stance might be pro gun violence.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So is the rest of this thread just going to be LC and R-a-C endlessly doubling down on "you can't criticize the NRA's sincerely held religious beliefs, that's just mean" as they desperately try to shut down debate without having to actually defend their impossible positions.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

The NRA sucks hth

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Rent a cop doesn't have actual positions here, he's just thoroughly dedicated to poo poo posting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

Rent a cop doesn't have actual positions here, he's just thoroughly dedicated to poo poo posting.

All rent-a-cops are bastards.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

botany posted:

it's one of the most xenophobic, regressive countries in europe. even their gun policies aren't that good since you could just ban guns

Must be why its used as an example of gun rights by gun groups all over the US. Its really about the racism.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

All rent-a-cops are bastards.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has there been any studies in certain states or cities in the USA where there has been tighter gun control and how it effected shootings there?

edit : Or a country with a similar rate of gun violence to the USA before the gun control measures?

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 8, 2018

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

zapplez posted:

Has there been any studies in certain states or cities in the USA where there has been tighter gun control and how it effected shootings there?

edit : Or a country with a similar rate of gun violence to the USA before the gun control measures?

Yes.

Sorry, that was a bit terse.

Yes, lots.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

zapplez posted:

Hi! Welcome to gunchat page 25. Where there are 25 pages of exactly that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zapplez posted:

Twenty five pages of it, turns out it's less effective when you're only an hour away from somewhere where you can buy guns

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

MixMastaTJ posted:

Hi! Welcome to gunchat page 25. Where there are 25 pages of exactly that.
Also an entire previous thread. And like a dozen threads before that one that are all substantially similar to this one.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay, any particular pages where there are studies like that discussed? Ive read the past five and didn't see any like that.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Arguing from statistics is fine if you're trying to make a quantitative point, but it's not typically going to be persuasive, because even if you can agree on the mathematical stuff, people are liable to infer different things from the same data, and that inference is not really made from a rational place.

It's more of a philosophical, emotional decision.

There are many examples indicating that reducing the number of weapons in a populations results in a decline in people getting killed by those weapons, and since guns are a tool that can kill lots of people quickly, incidents where lots of people are quickly killed by a lone rear end in a top hat are reduced.

Shorter version: It can work. It has worked. If we wanted to, as a country, we could make it work. Currently, too many of us don't want to try.

Pro-Gun arguments come in the form of:

- Deification of the countries founders
- Appeals to objective rights, god-given "freedoms"
- Appeals to the right of any and all self defense measures if they feel threatened

and other forms of nebulous, unconvincing bullshit.

It's a difference of values, and that one is hard to argue away rationally.

Pro-Gun folks value their toys and masturbatory self defense fantasies more than the nation's ability to prevent mass shootings and in general reduce gun deaths.

They're just not very honest about it, so you'll get lost in pedantry, deflection and a bunch of attempts to stifle meaningful discourse until we all get distracted enough so that nothing happens.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 8, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

Okay, any particular pages where there are studies like that discussed? Ive read the past five and didn't see any like that.

botany posted:

https://academic.oup.com/epirev/article/38/1/140/2754868
note that this is a meta study and not one cherry-picked single statistic like you've been posting.

It keeps getting buried with pages and pages of bad-faith arguments and endless pedantry over whether a shooting at a school is a school shooting, whether drive-bys are a problem if the bullets didn't actually hit anyone this time, and whether money influences politicians.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Shorter version: It can work. It has worked. If we wanted to, as a country, we could make it work. Currently, too many of us don't want to try.
[...]
They're just not very honest about it, so you'll get lost in pedantry, deflection and a bunch of attempts to stifle meaningful discourse until we all get distracted enough so that nothing happens.
This is a little weird to me, I'm not even disagreeing, I just don't understand how you could make these observations and then think that anything could even happen in this thread. What do you imagine a thing happening in this thread looks like? Like if we for sure know that other countries gun control systems would work in America, and we for sure know enacting those systems is untenable in America, what's left to talk about other than pedantry?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

twodot posted:

Like if we for sure know that other countries gun control systems would work in America, and we for sure know enacting those systems is untenable in America, what's left to talk about other than pedantry?
how do you know that 'for sure'? gun control laws get poo poo on by the NRA and those they represent so what comes out of the legislative process is what's left after the inevitable neutering

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

how do you know that 'for sure'? gun control laws get poo poo on by the NRA and those they represent so what comes out of the legislative process is what's left after the inevitable neutering
Gun control cannot fail. It can only be failed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Elizabethan Error posted:

I'm not the one who knows for sure, r.y.f.s.o. is the one making those assertions. If you don't like them reply to them. edit: Thus my use of the word "if".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

It keeps getting buried with pages and pages of bad-faith arguments and endless pedantry over whether a shooting at a school is a school shooting, whether drive-bys are a problem if the bullets didn't actually hit anyone this time, and whether money influences politicians.

Thanks for a link on this study. Spent some time reading it over.

I was expecting an assault weapon ban this year and this says the previous one wasn't effective.

1994 Federal assault weapons ban, United States
This law banned the sales and ownership of semiautomatic firearms and large-capacity ammunition magazines. Koper and Roth (76) using UCR data (1980–1995) found no association between the law and homicide rates in 15 states after adjusting for the presence of other firearm laws and crime laws in New York and California. A recent study by Gius (48) showed that the federal assault weapons ban was associated with higher rates of firearm homicides.

Other measures the study says were ineffective or counterintuitive

US Gun Control Act of 1968 didn't affect gun murders
Shall issue laws reduces homicides in one study, didnt seem to do anything in five others, and had increased the chances of firearms injuries/deaths in another. A more recent comprehensive study said shall issue laws prevented more homicides.
Saturday night special (cheap pistol) laws didnt seem to have an effect
The Victoria ban had a 14% reduction in overall firearms deaths, but didn't lower the rate of homicides. (however the later Australia gun control act had more studies saying it helped then that didnt see a decrease.
Gun buy backs didnt seem to work in US cities.
Canada's gun laws in 1977 didnt seem to lower homicide rates. It might have helped with suicide rates but the findings arent conclusive.

Things that were found almost universally effective
"Tough on crime" minimum sentences for gun crimes ( I thought it would be the opposite!)
Background checks
Screening from domestic violence
Having to get licensed to purchase a firearm lowered suicide rates
Firearms storage laws reduced accidents and suicides
The Austrian gun control measures worked well. The New Zealand gun control measures seemed to prevent more young people from committing suicide.
South Africas gun control measures helped significantly there with homicide rates.

Was worth the half an hour really pouring over this. Pretty interesting metastudy.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 8, 2018

• Locked thread