Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nooo, animes are ok, but Jordan has to make a new Crimson Skies game still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nooo, animes are ok, but Jordan has to make a new Crimson Skies game still!

A Crimson Skies game in the vein of a Mechwarrior Mercenaries game would own VERY HARD

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

My only Crimson Skies experience was the Xbox game, what kind of game was the TT game?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Rygar201 posted:

My only Crimson Skies experience was the Xbox game, what kind of game was the TT game?

More tables than IKEA, like BTClassic. Never played it TT, just the video games (CS and High Road, comparable to MW3 and MechAssault respectfully) but I do know there was a super detailed armour and penetration/ damage system. Pretty sure CS replicated it too

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Paingod556 posted:

More tables than IKEA, like BTClassic. Never played it TT, just the video games (CS and High Road, comparable to MW3 and MechAssault respectfully) but I do know there was a super detailed armour and penetration/ damage system. Pretty sure CS replicated it too

You forgot the maneuver template (homemade one but hey). Its actually very easy to read if you know how, but it sure looks stupid!

I own all the supplements for it (unless Bombers and Zeppelins really did make print before FASA died). It, like Battletech, is clunky.

The PC game was far superior to the Xbox game, though the XBox game was pretty fun. It gutted the cast of the Fortune Hunters though, for some reason.

Its just such campy goodness. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GtGjExSJc

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 7, 2018

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The PC version was totally different and was kind of like a standalone expansion to Combat Flight Simulator iirc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

God I would loving kill for a playable version of the old CS. That’s a classic that needs resurrecting.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's been an OP update, including explanations of all the Pilot skills and how Evasive Pips work.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
BattleSpace when!?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

isildur posted:

You say that now, but i am absolutely not kidding you in any way that my dream game, the game I've been wanting to make for years and years, the game that I repurposed into the battletech design...

is the chance to remake this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaqvQpPnXmI

Come at me.

I have no idea what that is and it doesn't look like it would interest me at all, but if your team made it I'd still play it. :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have no idea what that is and it doesn't look like it would interest me at all, but if your team made it I'd still play it. :shrug:

in this hypothetical future world, just imagine the developer commentary track

....yeah :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

in this hypothetical future world, just imagine the developer commentary track

....yeah :v:

It'd be worth it for that alone, I think. :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Q_res posted:

There's been an OP update, including explanations of all the Pilot skills and how Evasive Pips work.

Do we know if there's any restrictions (such as cooldowns) on using pilot skills?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There were no cooldowns in Beta and they never mentioned adding them, that's as much as we know so far.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Zaodai posted:

The question is, if PGI had a time machine would you still have any faith that there would be a timeline where they don't gently caress up game design?

Never forget:

quote:

PGI are setting new standards in train wrecks that us mere mortals didn't even know were possible within the laws of physics. It's like the world's biggest train in the universe filled with smaller trains, and those trains carrying cargos of various gauges of toy trains crashing at 500kph plus right through the largest factory in the world that makes both real, toy, and imaginary trains of all shapes and sizes located right next to the world's most dangerous and poorly maintained hybrid explosive factory/nuclear power station/bioweapons research storage facility on top of a volcano. PGI literally couldn't be any worse at customer relations unless they started fatally shooting customers at random.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Skoll posted:

Burn all the animes

:hai:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
hbs release the game already poo poo I want to make robots fight

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skoll posted:

Burn all the animes

Lol at posting that in a thread about a game series so anime it just stole mech designs from half a dozen of them.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Zore posted:

Lol at posting that in a thread about a game series so anime it just stole mech designs from half a dozen of them.

Excellent point

Burn Harmony Gold instead

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Omar_Comin posted:

Never forget:

I think CIG/Star Citizen has successfully proven that it's possible to raise more money, AND being more inept.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think CIG/Star Citizen has successfully proven that it's possible to raise more money, AND being more inept.
But in Star Citizen they know how to make .Jpgs and timers work :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 8, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
According to Mitch on the Paradox forums, you are unable to alter your MechWarriors in any way.

Mostly posting this here in hopes of isildur clarifying, since I thought she said in her Q&A that you could customize name, callsign, portrait, and pronouns. Is Mitch confused and he's only talking about the lifepath (since that directly affects stats) or are we unable to customize our MechWarriors in any way?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This would make sense if there's story scripting based around single player mechwarriors.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think there is, beyond the player character and possibly maybe one-shot appearances by special characters like Lady Kamea, but I really, really hope Mitch is just confused because a big part of the appeal of these games is putting your friends and family in there and telling them how they died horribly. Not to mention Twitch streamers love to rename after their subs and viewers.

It's a feature that has no direct impact on gameplay but has such an effect on the people playing the game that it's expected to be there, and if it's not it will be immensely confusing. My own excitement level has taken a drop from Pretty Hype to Concerned just by the news of losing it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I genuinely don't mind either way, what's best all depends on how much the backstory 'matters' in the actual gameplay.

In XCOM every recruit is functionally identical and their story emerges from the gameplay so full customisation makes sense. In JA or Battle Brothers the backgrounds are important because they have gameplay implications that will impact how that emergent gameplay story develops.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Alchenar posted:

I genuinely don't mind either way, what's best all depends on how much the backstory 'matters' in the actual gameplay.

In XCOM every recruit is functionally identical and their story emerges from the gameplay so full customisation makes sense. In JA or Battle Brothers the backgrounds are important because they have gameplay implications that will impact how that emergent gameplay story develops.

Don't even have to look that far

Or just a bit to the left and up :v:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
where's rooster

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

peer posted:

where's rooster

Busy getting lost in the Chaos March

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mitch has confirmed for finals that the ability to customize MechWarriors in any way has been cut.

You can still customize your commander but that's it.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Shame. Would have loved something like XCOM 2s soldier pool. At least it should be possible to brute force things like that one goon did on Day 2 of the Beta (whose name eludes me)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We’ll be able to mod the game at some point down the line I’m sure

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Oh for my part I'll be able to mod in anyone I want, but given that this was a part of the Kickstarter and that's not something you should have to know how to do, this is the first thing that's made me have a bad taste in my mouth.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hoping that once Battletech 2018 is released, HBS will be able to provide bugfixes for their older games cough shadowrun cough necropolis.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Oh for my part I'll be able to mod in anyone I want, but given that this was a part of the Kickstarter and that's not something you should have to know how to do, this is the first thing that's made me have a bad taste in my mouth.

Not like that isn't something they can do in a post launch patch, they know how much of a desired feature it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Mitch has confirmed for finals that the ability to customize MechWarriors in any way has been cut.

That's... Really unfortunate.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Internet Explorer posted:

That's... Really unfortunate.
I don't know, it's proving an entertaining topic to read about on the official forum.

(also it's such a small thing, not worth getting upset over)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

As in, not even their skill ranks as you use them? I hope not that far, because if so that would put your pilot tactics more firmly into the Luck over Skill category, and render them even more disposable for the most part.

Hard to place an attachment to pilots with points in stuff you want when it's luck of the draw, though maybe the trading card mindset is expected to take hold? "This guy actually has breaching shot! Therefore this roll of the dice blessing my campaign means he's my most valuable asset due to artificial scarcity!-oh whoops he's gone. Welp."

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Section Z posted:

As in, not even their skill ranks as you use them? I hope not that far, because if so that would put your pilot tactics more firmly into the Luck over Skill category, and render them even more disposable for the most part.

Hard to place an attachment to pilots with points in stuff you want when it's luck of the draw, though maybe the trading card mindset is expected to take hold? "This guy actually has breaching shot! Therefore this roll of the dice blessing my campaign means he's my most valuable asset due to artificial scarcity!-oh whoops he's gone. Welp."

No they mean changing their names and stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Advancement" is not "customization".

"Customization" in a game like this is literally changing portraits, names, and biographies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're talking about aesthetic customization. Pretty sure leveling up and skills are still in.