Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't know anything about what Chihayafuru was about, but the .gifs and the S1 thread getting pinned (so, hey, props to Zorak on that at least) got me to check it out mostly blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and those are fictional characters who exist within that same culture (and are usually convinced too think otherwise), not real people

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9LNvVhEHgI

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

dogsicle posted:

and those are fictional characters who exist within that same culture (and are usually convinced too think otherwise), not real people

So you're arguing that the characters in Chihayafuru aren't realistic? That sounds dumb and wrong...

Karuta will probably sound stupid to most people who hear about it. This doesn't make Chihayafuru a worse show or anything, and you probably shouldn't take it as some weird attack on the show itself, much of the point of which is saying "Actually, karuta is really cool!" And by god, it's right.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm saying the characters in the show have some basis to their dismissal, since karuta is something they've all encountered (albeit as a school assignment). so i don't find their dismissal as odd or potentially loaded as a real person

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I mean if someone told me they didn’t really care to find out more about a sport based on old Japanese poetry I wouldn’t blame them?

Unless your problem is the use of the word “weird” then okay I guess

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just finished episode 13 (the end of the practice match against Nekoma) of Haikyu and so far it has been pretty good but the hype made me think it was going to be amazing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i missed where this was all started by someone who is actually watching and enjoying the show in spite of being initially turned off, so guess this was pointless

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Karuta is fun as heck. Being a spectator is also really fun!

Sadboy Shogi continues to rule. Loli-Shogi show is ok and this week's episode (and the previous) featured a Smug Shark Teeth Lady voiced by Haruka Tomatsu being creepy and channeling Ginko The Other Ginko Girltoki at points.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

gmq posted:

I just finished episode 13 (the end of the practice match against Nekoma) of Haikyu and so far it has been pretty good but the hype made me think it was going to be amazing.
I do think Haikyuu is amazing but I couldn't tell you when in the show I thought that

It owns tho. I'd like to read the manga but I found it kinda hard to follow, but that must mostly be me

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

gmq posted:

You’ll get there. Once the boys start getting pushed, you’ll want them to win so bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Expect My Mom posted:

I do think Haikyuu is amazing but I couldn't tell you when in the show I thought that

It owns tho. I'd like to read the manga but I found it kinda hard to follow, but that must mostly be me

I think the second season, especially the rematch with Aoba Johsai, is when it goes from a good sports show to absolutely fantastic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

is sailor moon super s any good
its probably the weakest season but i still like it a good bit. helps that the villains are pretty strong. also the haruka and michiru tv movie was fun.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
PV and info for 3D Kanojo: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-07/real-girl-anime-promo-video-previews-quruli-opening-song/.128649

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure that all sports anime is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're all bad apart from the two I like

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goofy Dagashi Office Lady is better than Goofy Jerkface Conbini Manager. Huh. Consider me surprised. Also, there hasn't been any Hotaru in the 2nd Third of this season, which is weird, but for some reason I don't really miss her.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Too

Real

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They're all bad apart from the two I like

They're all.good apart from the two you like :twisted:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

(so, hey, props to Zorak on that at least)

:negative:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/RENATOLOGY/status/971598768402448384

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^That doesn't show you that half the gifs have links to youtube videos.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAXEYgllZ64

watanabe is looking for english female singers under 25 for his new anime, so heck if you somehow fit into that profile and are reading this, heres your chance to become anime and you dont even have to do a dub

http://carolandtuesday.com/index_en.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzsvG5GYmY
new original anime by goro taniguchi, from geass, planetes and the such

The series begins with a message: "This is a prediction. An extreme crisis will befall the five of you someday. At that time, you five will protect everyone." Daisuke Dōjima is a second-year high school student who, as a child, was kidnapped. Daisuke, along with his friends Gai, Lū, Marimari, and Keisaku, get wrapped up in the mysterious phenomenon known as the "Shibuya Drift." The central area of Shibuya rises up and is transported at least 300 years in the "future." What awaits them is a vast wasteland and forest dotted with ruins. There, they will work with the future people "revisions" to operate giant mechanical monsters. Daisuke meets a girl named Milo, who has the same name as the person who kidnapped Daisuke. Milo informs Daisuke that he's the only one who can operate the "doll weapon String Puppet" and protect Shibuya. Daisuke and his friends must take back the present by fighting the future in a town of isolation, against an unknown enemy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dav post the pv of the grade school innkeeper show

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the only innkeeper thing i see is isekai,

but i don't really care about either possibility of this crap.

maybe if they do one someday with more interesting cuisine

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

but i don't really care about either possibility of this crap.

maybe if they do one someday with more interesting cuisine
If it's relaxing / cozy like Restaurant to Another World, then I'm all in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's this one, i found it

https://youtu.be/Qka85kzHNm0

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

to isekb

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

If it's relaxing / cozy like Restaurant to Another World, then I'm all in.

:yeah:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

meh

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Ooooo pretty backgrounds. Is this a movie? It looks like a movie, and I would like to watch it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a TV series but yeah that pv is really high quality

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Guys, I am feeling hyped about the upcoming SAO spinoff

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SCIENCE!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Guys, I am feeling hyped about the upcoming SAO spinoff
Well, let's take inventory:
  • There's no Kirito, so points on that right out of the gate.
  • It's written/illustrated by the Kino's Journey team, who have largely consolidated their formula down to a science, instead of trying to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
  • The guy in charge of the scripts for the anime seems to have the pedigree to do both action and drama fairly well, so hopefully that's not an issue.
  • The Studio's previous project was Princess Principal, which was rad.
  • The Director seems to have mostly worked on the animation director side of things on previous works, only directing... *quick google* the adaptation for Kamen no Maid Guy. Huh. :geno:
So maybe something cool will come out of this? :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Well, let's take inventory:
  • There's no Kirito, so points on that right out of the gate.
  • It's written/illustrated by the Kino's Journey team, who have largely consolidated their formula down to a science, instead of trying to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
  • The guy in charge of the scripts for the anime seems to have the pedigree to do both action and drama fairly well, so hopefully that's not an issue.
  • The Studio's previous project was Princess Principal, which was rad.
  • The Director seems to have mostly worked on the animation director side of things on previous works, only directing... *quick google* the adaptation for Kamen no Maid Guy. Huh. :geno:
So maybe something cool will come out of this? :)

Which Kino’s Journey team? Because as I remember, the more recent series wasn’t all that well-directed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Which Kino’s Journey team? Because as I remember, the more recent series wasn’t all that well-directed.
by writer/illustrator wark say means the writer and illustrator of the original kino novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

by writer/illustrator wark say means the writer and illustrator of the original kino novels.

Ah, fair ‘nuff.

• Locked thread