Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That's a pretty good observation.

Also in the movies is the whole deal with him cheating on the Kobayashi Maru. The current interpretation (largely via JJ Trek) seems to be that he cheated because of some supposed devil-may-care, regulation-flauting attitude when it probably had more to do with a simple, stubborn unwillingness to give up against any odds, consistent with that tight-rear end striving cadet Kirk that gets described in TOS.

I think in the trek novels they went into how kirk reprogrammed it - he changed the parameters of the test to make the Klingons respect and fear him, then argued that once he was a captain, it wouldn't be a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

underage at the vape shop posted:

is ds9 worth watching once i finish tng?

DS9 is the best Star Trek series so yes

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I took it as evidence that Kirk is an outside the box thinker, willing to bluff and resort to unorthodox means.

That's what stood out to me about Kirk when I rewatched TOS. He's a very clever leader and thinker, he likes to bluff and cheat and and outwit his opponent more than outfight them or talk them down. He may not be as book smart as Picard or the former science officer Janeway is, but he's cunning and thinks fast on his feet.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Who is the wokest star trek character?

Riker and its not close.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Riker and its not close.

The more I think about this the more I think it's actually true.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Winn is still a Vedek in season 1.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McNally posted:

The more I think about this the more I think it's actually true.

The man is all about respecting other people and their cultures and not judging people AND trying to fight inequities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'll say this for Enterprise at least the brigs have actual doors rather than those forcefields that fail anytime someone plugs a blender into the wrong power outlet.

Still a little weird that the doors have reinforced glass which can be easily busted rather than like idk solid metal or at least transparent aluminum which was invented in the 1980s but anyway, baby steps

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

abraxas posted:

So a week or so ago I finally started watching Enterprise, as that's literally the only ST series I haven't watched AT ALL yet (yes, I've finished TAS).
I think I kind of like it so far? I have a lot of complaints, but it doesn't actively make me want to turn it off in disgust.

That about sums it up. Episode for episode it's a pretty good show. The premise is wasted and it largely treaded water at a time when the franchise needed something truly different to survive. But the cast is good and sometimes the stories are too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Y' know transparent alumina has been around forever and we use it for sensor windows in military and high pressure applications. It's sapphire.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The man is all about respecting other people and their cultures and not judging people AND trying to fight inequities.

Will Riker knows the sexiest thing to get from anyone, man, woman, other, or neuter, is enthusiastic consent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's very interesting, the sapphire thing. There's a camera I work with which uses sapphire windows, and I suppose it makes sense to use sapphire if it's the third-hardest mineral in the world.

But realistically, how big could that window be? As it gets larger, the centre would have more flexion in it, right? And it stops being transparent as you layer it for strength, like glass. So "transparent aluminium" can't just be sapphire, I would imagine. But some kind of sapphire, sure. Space sapphire!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It was Picard who was all "gently caress you, I have one life, might as well live it!" as a cadet, anyway.

Kirk was too busy studying like a huge nerd, he didn't have the time to get stabbed in the heart by a biker. loving nerd.

Trelane looked into Kirk's heart and saw a bossy no-fun-haver; Q looked into Picard's heart and saw a hellraiser, tempered by experience, who he could occasionally goad into an adventure or two.

...Q looked into Sisko's heart and saw Grandpa Sisko weeping into a pot of gumbo while Jennifer and the Prophets were all FUN? WHAT IS THIS? in a deserted baseball field, so he got weirded out and left him alone.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spincube posted:

Trelane looked into Kirk's heart and saw a bossy no-fun-haver; Q looked into Picard's heart and saw a hellraiser, tempered by experience, who he could occasionally goad into an adventure or two.

...Q looked into Sisko's heart and saw Grandpa Sisko weeping into a pot of gumbo while Jennifer and the Prophets were all FUN? WHAT IS THIS? in a deserted baseball field, so he got weirded out and left him alone.

he looked into Janeway's heart and popped a boner

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Never forget that Gene’s “waves and waves of cum” rant was all said in a faux-Irish accent

Uhh... what now?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Uhh... what now?

The Fifty Year Mission posted:

One day I'm sitting in my office and Roddenberry calls me, and he sounded lit, like he was not all there. And it started with "Hello, friend," and he went into this long, long rambling speech. "I love the title of your outline 'Genius Is Pain,' because, let me tell you something, genius is pain, you're absolutely right. But in fact, all of life is basically divided into two things, pleasure and pain."

And then he started to list things that he found painful: the pain of dealing with network executives, the pain of going through divorce, the pain of seeing your children's faces when you have to tell them you don't love their mother anymore, the pain of spending eighteen straight hours writing a perfect scene and someone saying it has to be changed for some stupid loving reason - so he's going on and on. It was really one for the ages, and I was wondering when this was going to come to an end. So he finally comes up for air, and then says, "as for pleasure, my idea of pleasure is waves and waves and waves of cum exploding out of me."

I absolutely was shocked - and he had said it in this sort of Irish voice - that quickly I covered the phone as hard as I could and stuck my head as far out of my office window as I could and uncontrollably started laughing. Like I couldn't believe what I'd heard - and it was said to me by a leprechaun. So now I'm terrified to come back to the phone, that he's going to have heard my reaction and my relationship with him is going to be destroyed for all time. I very warily sneak myself back onto the phone and he's in the middle of talking about more things that bring him pleasure that I had completely missed. That was one of the funnier and stranger moments of my life.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Forgot to mention that was writer Tracy Torme.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Epicurius posted:

I guess my question would be, why is the public conception of the character so different than the character? Is it just the whole "Kirk v Picard" thing that Cythereal mentions, or at least, Next Generation being a slower, more "talky" show on average than TOS, which influences our conception of Kirk and Picard?
Popular gestalt ideas are like the atmospheric pollution of engaging with an actual work, and I can't think of a situation where it's been positive as opposed to just making things grungy bullshit. It is likely going to be even worse going forwards because people will probably eventually move to a second meta-stable layer where they get their ideas about a movie or a show or whatever, not even from web reviews, but from web reviews of web reviews.

Unless the ad money dries up, of course.

But you see this all over the place. The thing where I really noticed it for the first time was (since I am a giant goon) Final Fantasy 7.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

Popular gestalt ideas are like the atmospheric pollution of engaging with an actual work, and I can't think of a situation where it's been positive as opposed to just making things grungy bullshit.

Metal gear solid deliberately cultivated the idea that the original metal gear series had an actual plot

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Metal gear solid deliberately cultivated the idea that the original metal gear series had an actual plot
You had to rescue missing our Gray Fox! That's a plot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Forgot to mention that was writer Tracy Torme.

I only had the book and quote on hand, but yeah.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't agree with that assessment at all. Kirk is not a Mary Sue by any stretch; he's repeatedly shown to sometimes fly off the handle before he has all the facts. Errand of Mercy and Arena are two episodes off the top of my head where this is true. A case could also be made for Where No Man Has Gone Before, since Kirk is so wrapped up in his feelings for his friend that he almost doesn't act to save the ship until it's too late. TOS' strength is the fact that it has the courage to not show its main characters as unquestionably perfect, but willing to learn from their mistakes so that they can grow.

And if the show had been able to go with Roddenberry's original vision, it would have been even more so with Jeffrey Hunter's Pike. A huge part of The Cage was how this captain had massive self doubt and was ready to hang up his career. A bold move for a pilot episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's very interesting, the sapphire thing. There's a camera I work with which uses sapphire windows, and I suppose it makes sense to use sapphire if it's the third-hardest mineral in the world.

But realistically, how big could that window be? As it gets larger, the centre would have more flexion in it, right? And it stops being transparent as you layer it for strength, like glass. So "transparent aluminium" can't just be sapphire, I would imagine. But some kind of sapphire, sure. Space sapphire!

Pretty sure the periscopes that every modern armored vehicle in the world uses are made with sapphire windows so it can get pretty thick and strong without losing clarity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I forgot the sheer number of Trek actors that show up in Total Recall. Jellico is the big bad guy, Dukat shows up as a Mars soldier, Kolrami is the head of ReKall, Ensign Sonia Gomez is the mutant hooker, and Robert Picardo voices the JonnyCabs.

How has Michael Ironside escaped being in Star Trek?

ed: apparently the mutant cabbie played the sycophant Cardassian who replaced Damar

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 9, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thats um, thats sure something. :psyduck:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats um, thats sure something. :psyduck:

:xcom: except Roddenberry.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How has Michael Ironside escaped being in Star Trek?

He was the captain for the third season of seaQuest, where NBC retooled the show into a crappy war series.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He was the captain for the third season of seaQuest, where NBC retooled the show into a crappy war series.

Oh yes. One of the first things they did was show the genetically engineered super-soldiers who were now mercenary terrorists, going around destroying the machines that produce oxygen because the rain forests are gone and so there's not enough air. Remember when, despite science, people thought deforestation would de-oxygenate the Earth? If you don't, congrats on not being an old fart. But these people were made from all the best physical and mental traits of all races, so what do they look like? People with skin-tone camouflage patches painted on their bodies. I poo poo you not!

I have a few friends who have interracial kids. None of them has patches of black skin mixed with patches of white skin. Because THAT'S NOT A loving THING, SEAQUEST, GOD loving DAMMIT. Stick to more realistic things, like talking dolphins. Stick to smarter ways to write the show, like starting every episode with a dime-store Star Trek monologue over the opening credits.

gently caress gently caress gently caress seaQuest. I remember watching some of it as a kid, and even then, even when I loved terrible TV shows because I didn't know better, I kept thinking, "this is a crappy Star Trek wannabe." And when that last season popped up because of space man time travel Luke Skywalker shenanigans (I think?), well, the only TV show in history whose first episode aired months after the concept jumped the shark managed to jump several more, this time while giving a thumbs-up and saying, "heeeeeeeey!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

seaQuest chat always reminds me of when my dad got DVDs of the show we used to love to watch together, the action-packed Earth2.

You can never go home again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^Earth2 had a lot of good poo poo going for it

Dagwood, the character with the bad camo skin on Seaquest was a failed experimental genetically engineered supersoldier ("Dagger"), not some interracial kid.

I mean, there's plenty to raz Seaquest about, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brawnfire posted:

seaQuest chat always reminds me of when my dad got DVDs of the show we used to love to watch together, the action-packed Earth2.

You can never go home again.

Hey, Mulder, you wanna hang out tonight? We're going to nitpick the scientific inaccuracies of Earth 2.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Earth 2 was so bad I could tell it was going to be bad when I was a kid just from watching the opening titles, at least SeaQuest had a cool intro in it's first year

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The main characters were cool and interesting. So I recall from a zillion years ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My mental image is Tim Curry as a pelt-wearing wizard with a background of that one kid's ear-piercing shriek on loop

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SeaQuest was pretty great for the one season they made I don't know what you're all talking about LA LA LA LA LAA.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

As I recall the people with the patchwork skin were genetically engineered servants (because of course we'd have them) and there was some drama about how they could survive with the rainforest replacement things gone but normies couldn't. But they couldn't have babies. But then some of them did!

The dolphin called some starlet "Melon Lady". Accurate writing for a dolphin, IMO.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

tarlibone posted:

I have a few friends who have interracial kids. None of them has patches of black skin mixed with patches of white skin. Because THAT'S NOT A loving THING, SEAQUEST, GOD loving DAMMIT.

To be fair, this was a thing people genuinely believed... in the 13th century.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Oh yes. One of the first things they did was show the genetically engineered super-soldiers who were now mercenary terrorists, going around destroying the machines that produce oxygen because the rain forests are gone and so there's not enough air. Remember when, despite science, people thought deforestation would de-oxygenate the Earth?

Remember? People still think that now. Hell, I might think that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

dont even fink about it posted:

Remember? People still think that now. Hell, I might think that.

Don't even fink about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marine deoxygenation is a serious worry.